THE BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE
It's the stuff of dreams: a classic sweet and tart dessert with a foolproof meringue topping that won't weep! We use mostly butter in our from-scratch pie dough, but also add a little vegetable shortening as well - we found that this combination creates a crust that is both tender and flaky.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- For the pie crust: Pulse the flour, shortening, sugar, salt and vinegar in a food processor until the mixture looks like damp sand, about 10 pulses. Add the butter and pulse until you can still see large pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse until the dough begins to come together. Pinch the dough; if it doesn't hold together, add up to 3 more tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough holds together when pinched. Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap and dump the dough onto the plastic. Using the edges of the plastic, press the dough into a disc. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour and preferably overnight. (Freeze up to 2 months.)
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 13-inch round. Place in a 9-inch pie dish, gently pressing the dough into the edges and letting the excess dough drape over the sides. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim any excess dough with a paring knife and crimp the edges decoratively or press them down with the tines of a fork. Prick the dough on the bottom all over with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper inside the dough and fill with pie weights or uncooked rice or beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the parchment and weights and bake until the crust is deep golden brown on the edges and lightly golden in the center, 10 to 12 minutes more. Let the crust cool to room temperature.
- For the filling: Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Add the lemon juice and 1 1/2 cups water and whisk to combine. Whisk the egg yolks in a separate medium bowl. Place the sugar mixture over medium heat and cook, continuing to gently whisk, until the mixture begins to bubble and is extremely thick. Temper the eggs yolks by slowly adding half of the hot sugar mixture to the yolks while constantly whisking. Add the tempered yolks to the saucepan and return to the heat. Bring the mixture back to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and lemon zest until completely melted and incorporated. Pour the filling directly into the pie crust and cover with plastic wrap pressed directly against the surface of the filling (see Cook's Note). Refrigerate while you make the meringue.
- For the meringue: Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment along with the sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Whisk together to combine. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture feels hot to the touch. Transfer the bowl to the mixer and add the vanilla. Whisk on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the pie and gently mound the meringue on top of the filling. Use an offset spatula to make sure the meringue completely covers the filling and meets the crust all around the edges. (This will seal in the filling and help prevent weeping.) Use the offset spatula to create swirls and peaks in the meringue. Toast the meringue using a kitchen torch or broil in the oven until golden brown, keeping an eye on the meringue if broiling, 1 to 2 minutes. Refrigerate the pie until the filling is completely cool and set, about 4 hours.
GRANDMA'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE
This is a very fun recipe to follow, because Grandma makes it sweet and simple. This pie is thickened with cornstarch and flour in addition to egg yolks, and contains no milk.
Provided by Emilie S.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 297.7 calories, Carbohydrate 49.7 g, Cholesterol 110.1 mg, Fat 10.3 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 4.4 g, SaturatedFat 4.3 g, Sodium 229.2 mg, Sugar 35.2 g
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE
This is the one and only lemon meringue pie recipe you'll ever need. The flaky and tender from-scratch crust is worth the effort. -Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 20
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add 3 tablespoons cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. , Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer crust to pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned., Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. , Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and lemon zest. Gradually stir in lemon juice just until combined. Pour into the crust., For meringue, in a saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in cold water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is clear. Transfer to a bowl; cool., Beat egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat in cornstarch mixture on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edge to crust., Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 444 calories, Fat 17g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 87mg cholesterol, Sodium 282mg sodium, Carbohydrate 68g carbohydrate (43g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
OLD FASHIONED LEMON MERINGUE PIE
This is my mother's recipe, and one thing my mother does better than anyone I know, is making pie. You can serve it w/o the meringue which is what I do as I'm not fond of it. I like variety so I like to put a cream cheese layer on the bottom sometimes and then the lemon over the top (since I don't use the meringue). This makes enough for 2-3 pies, depending on how full and tall you like them, however you can 1/2 the recipe. Also I use Recipe #123758 for the crust when I'm not being lazy (for that I use a Nilla wafer or shortbread crust).
Provided by startnover
Yield 2-3 pies
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat sugar, 4-1/2 c water, and salt to boiling.
- Meanwhile, stir 1 cup water and cornstarch together.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture into boiling sugar water.
- Cook till thick and clear.
- Beat egg yolks and lemon juice together and slowly add to sugar mixture.
- Bring this up to a bubbly stage (1-2 min).
- Take off heat and add margarine, and stir.
- Leave it for a minute and come back to stir again, doing this every couple of minutes to allow margarine to melt and cool filling w/o allowing a skin to form. After margarine melts put a lid on the mixture till you're ready to pour into pie crusts.
- For Meringue:.
- Beat salt and egg whites till frothy, then slowly add sugar.
- Beat till stiff peaks form when you raise the beaters.
- If you are making the meringue, add a spoonful of it to pie filling, pour filling into crusts, and then spread pie to crust edge.
- Peak it using a spoon.
- Bake in 325° oven till light brown on peaks.
- Cooking time will vary--just watch it.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 3305, Fat 68.3, SaturatedFat 16, Cholesterol 1048.9, Sodium 3776.9, Carbohydrate 658.1, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 555.5, Protein 32.9
LEMON MERINGUE PIE III
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, salt, and 1 1/2 cups water in a heavy saucepan. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup water to make a smooth paste. Gradually whisk into boiling sugar mixture. Boil mixture until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and lemon juice. Gradually whisk egg yolk mixture into hot sugar mixture. Return pan to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in grated lemon rind and butter or margarine. Place mixture in refrigerator and cool until just lukewarm.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, combine egg whites and salt. Whip until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar while continuing to whip. Beat until whites form stiff peaks. Stir about 3/4 cup of meringue into lukewarm filling. Spoon filling into baked pastry shell. Cover pie with remaining meringue.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until meringue is slightly brown. Cool on a rack at for at least 1 hour before cutting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 382.9 calories, Carbohydrate 66.7 g, Cholesterol 104.4 mg, Fat 12 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 5.2 g, Sodium 386.5 mg, Sugar 51.2 g
30 MINUTE LEMON MERINGUE PIE
- Combine biscuits and butter.
- Press into a foil lined 8" pie plate.
- combine condensed milk, lemon juice, rind, and egg yolks.
- place in crumb crust.
- beat egg whites until stiff.
- gradually add the sugar.
- beat until sugar has dissolved.
- spoon or pipe meringue over the lemon filling.
- bake in a moderate oven (350F-375F) for 15 minutes or til golden.
EXTRA-LEMONY MERINGUE PIE
Made with a buttery lemon curd and topped with swirls of lemon zest-infused meringue, this pie is tangier and creamier than many others of its kind. You can make it with regular or Meyer lemons: The regular ones will be sharper and brighter; the Meyers, a little softer and fruitier. This pie is best served the day it's baked, though you can make the dough and filling up to five days in advance. The meringue, however, needs to be whipped up just before the pie is baked. Store leftovers in a sealed container at room temperature.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories pies and tarts, dessert
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Prepare the crust: On a lightly floured surface, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll pie dough into a 12-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish); fold the edges over and crimp them together. Prick crust all over with a fork and chill in freezer for 30 minutes until frozen. (Cover with plastic if freezing for longer than a few hours. Well wrapped, it will last in the freezer for up to a month.)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line chilled crust with foil, fill with pie weights or dried rice, then bake for 12 minutes. Remove foil, lower oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake until pale golden, 10 to 16 minutes longer. Transfer to a rack to cool while you prepare the filling. (Leave the oven on if baking the pie immediately.)
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, egg and sugar. Stir in lemon juice, zest and salt. Add pieces of butter and cook, whisking constantly, over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens enough to coat a spoon, about 7 to 9 minutes. An instant-read thermometer should register 180 degrees. Inspect the filling: If you think there are any coagulated bits of egg, strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Pour filling into pie crust and return to the oven to bake until filling is set (it should jiggle only slightly in the center), about 18 to 40 minutes. (Pies prepared in glass and ceramic dishes can take much longer to bake than those prepared in metal dishes. Don't give up: The curd will eventually set.) Remove pie from oven and increase oven temperature to 400 degrees for baking the meringue.
- As the filling bakes, make the meringue: Fill a medium pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Using a large metal bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt. Set the bowl with the egg white mixture into the pot above the water, and whisk constantly by hand until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm (160 degrees on an instant thermometer) and has thickened and lightened in color, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bowl from heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-low speed and gradually increase speed to high, until mixture is thick and fluffy, and stiff peaks form, about 5 to 8 minutes. Be careful not to overbeat.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in lemon zest. Mix with care to not deflate meringue: A few strokes should do it. Spread the meringue over the hot filling, making sure it meets the edges of the crust. Using a knife or spatula, swirl in a design, if you like, and bake until lightly browned, about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and top with more lemon zest before serving.
More about "30 minute lemon meringue pie recipes"
EASY LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - THE RECIPE REBEL
4.8/5 (11)Total Time 1 hrCategory DessertCalories 467 per serving
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, water, corn starch, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest.
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | REALEMON AND …
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE - RICARDO
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - RETRO RECIPE BOX
LEMON MERINGUE PIE (WITH VIDEO) | HOW TO FEED A LOON
30 MINUTE TIMER RECIPE 30 MINUTE LEMON MERINGUE PIE
HOW TO MAKE LEMON MERINGUE PIE – RECIPE | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE FROM INTERMARCHé PALUMBO
HOMEMADE LEMON MERINGUE PIE | SO EASY TO MAKE!
QUICK LEMON MERINGUE PIE | AMERICAN RECIPES | GOODTO
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - HARBOUR BREEZE HOME
BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - COUCOUCAKE
HOMEMADE LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
LEMON MERINGUE PIE DESSERT | FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
THIS CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE WILL TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - WHOLESOME FARMHOUSE RECIPES
COUNTY FAIR: PRIZE-WINNING LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE
THE ULTIMATE LEMON MERINGUE PIE | CANADIAN LIVING
MY FAVORITE LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - PASHA IS HOME
SIMPLE LEMON MERINGUE PIE WITH CONDENSED MILK|RECIPES.COM.AU
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - SHUGARY SWEETS
PERFECT LEMON MERINGUE PIE - WWW.THESCRANLINE.COM
30 MINUTE LEMON MERINGUE PIE - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
30 MINUTE LEMON MERINGUE PIE - PLAIN.RECIPES
NEW CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE (LOW FODMAP) - IBS GAME …
CLASSIC LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE | LANA'S COOKING
LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - PREPPY KITCHEN
PERFECT LEMON MERINGUE PIE: RELOADED RECIPE | ALTON BROWN
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - JAMIE GELLER
THIS MONTH'S RECIPES | ANNA OLSON
BEST ANNA OLSON'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK …
LEMON MERINGUE PIE - SPEND WITH PENNIES
GRANDMA'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - FEMINOLOGIE.COM
BEST LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPE - THE PIONEER WOMAN
PINTEREST LEMON MERINGUE PIE RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
ZESTY LEMON MERINGUE PIE - JULES OF THE KITCHEN
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #pies-and-tarts #desserts #eggs-dairy #easy #dietary
You'll also love