German Beef Rouladen
TRADITIONAL BEEF ROULADEN
Recipe From foodnetwork.com
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place each top round slice between wax paper and pound to tenderize; add salt and pepper and generously spread each with the spicy mustard.
- On the wide part of each piece of meat, place about 5 pieces of the dill pickle spears, some onion and a heaping tablespoon of the browned bacon. Fold in the edges and roll up like a burrito.
- Carefully brown the rolls on all sides in a frying pan. Place in a large pot with the beef stock.
- Put a slice of the raw potatoes between each rolled roulade, making sure the pot is packed tight; the potato slices will hold the roulade together without having to use a string. Cover and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Make your gravy from the drippings by mixing the flour and butter and adding it slowly into the beef stock until it reaches the desired consistency. Serve with red cabbage and potatoes or spaetzle. You can also serve the potatoes that have soaked up all the delicious juices and held together the rouladen.
Number Of Ingredients: 10
- 4 long, thin slices top round
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 2 dill pickles, sliced in thin spears
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped browned bacon
- One 32-ounce carton beef stock
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted
EASY GERMAN BEEF ROULADE
Make and share this Easy German Beef Roulade recipe from Food.com.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by LAURIE
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients: 7
- 1 1/2 lbs beef flank steak
- 4 teaspoons heavy German mustard or 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard, will do
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
You'll also love
More recipes about German Beef Rouladen recipes
German Beef Rouladen Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com2019-04-04 · Spread 1/2 tablespoon mustard over one side of each piece of meat. Sprinkle the onion, paprika, salt, and pepper evenly over the steaks. Lay one slice of bacon on each piece. Roll the steaks … ...
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon mustard over one side of each piece of meat. Sprinkle the onion, paprika, salt, and pepper evenly over the steaks. Lay one slice of bacon on each piece. Roll the steaks jelly-roll style and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook meat on all sides until browned. Add the beef broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat rolls. Strain the broth mixture and return liquid to the skillet. Whisk together the cornstarch and 1 cup of water. Slowly pour the cornstarch slurry into the skillet, stirring continually until the sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Return rolls to the sauce; serve immediately.
German Beef Rouladen Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comBrown beef on all sides. Add the water, onion, parsley and bouillon if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. ...
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a bacon strip down the center of each piece; arrange a pickle half on one edge.
Oma's Authentic German Beef Rouladen Recipe
Recipe From : quick-german-recipes.comSeason beef slices with salt and freshly ground pepper. Thinly spread mustard on top of each slice. Divide bacon, pickle, and onion slices on one end of each slice. Roll up slices, tucking the ends in and securing with skewers, wooden cocktail picks, or thread. ... Show details
German Rouladen Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com2019-04-04 · Bacon, onions and pickles are wrapped in thin slices of flank steak, browned in butter, then simmered in beef broth. Serve with spaetzle to soak up the gravy. ...
- Generously spread one side of each filet with mustard to taste. Place bacon, onions and pickle slices on each filet and form into a roll. Use string or toothpicks to hold the roll together.
- Pour in 2 1/2 cups of water and add the bouillon cube; stirring to dissolve the bouillon cube. Simmer the rolls for about an hour.
Authentic German Rouladen Recipe - The Daring Gourmet
Recipe From : daringgourmet.com2019-10-29 · Lay the beef slices out on a work surface. Spread each beef slices with about 2 teaspoons of mustard and sprinkle with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place a strip of bacon on each beef slice so it's running the same length as the beef. Place the sliced German pickles and chopped onions on each beef … ...
- Lay the beef slices out on a work surface. Spread each beef slices with about 2 teaspoons of mustard and sprinkle with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place a strip of bacon on each beef slice so it's running the same length as the beef. Place the sliced German pickles and chopped onions on each beef slice. Roll up the beef slices, tucking in the sides as best you can and securing the beef rolls with toothpicks or cooking twine.
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy Dutch oven or pot (make sure it's oven-safe if baking in the oven) and generously brown the rouladen on all sides. Browning them well will ensure a rich and flavorful gravy. Set the rouladen aside on a plate.
- *Do not remove the browned bits in the bottom of the pan (important for a flavorful gravy): Add the onions to the pot and a little more butter or oil if needed. Cook the onions until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the leek, carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in the red wine, bring to a rapid boil for one minute, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2-3 more minutes. Add the beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Nestle the beef rouladen in the pot. Oven or Stovetop: You can cook the rouladen, covered, on the stovetop on low for about 90 minutes or until fork tender, but for the most even cooking we recommend transferring the pot (make sure it's oven-safe) to the oven preheated to 325 F and cook it there for about 90 minutes or until fork tender.
German Beef Rouladen - Seasons and Suppers
Recipe From : seasonsandsuppers.ca2017-09-14 · Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare the rouladen by pounding out the beef until they are 1/4 inch thin and about 5 inches wide by 9 inches long. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of paprika. Spread 1 Tbsp of whole grain mustard over each of the 4 pieces of beef. ...
- Prepare the rouladen by pounding out the beef until they are 1/4 inch thin and about 5 inches wide by 9 inches long. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of paprika. Spread 1 Tbsp of whole grain mustard over each of the 4 pieces of beef. Place two pieces of bacon over each piece of beef, side by side, trimming any part of the bacon that extend over the ends. Scatter each with diced onion, dividing evenly between the four pieces. With the widest end of the short side facing you, place two pickle halves end to end about 1 1/2 inches from the end. It's ok if they stick out the side at this point. Take the end closest to you and fold it up and over the pickles. Continue rolling by lifting and rolling until it is completely rolled. Take a skewer and secure the end of the roll to the main part of the roll, so it doesn't unroll. Trim any excess pickle sticking out the sides so it is even with the sides of the roll. Roll up the remaining beef pieces similarly.
- In a Dutch oven or large, heavy bottomed, oven-proof dish with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef rolls to the pan, skewer/seam side down. Sear for a few minutes until lightly browned, then flip over and sear the other side. Place the rolls on their sides if necessary to sear the entire outside of each of the rolls.
Beef Rouladen Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comIn a large skillet, brown beef in oil until no longer pink; drain. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat and keep warm. Combine … ...
- Place 1 bacon strip and a few onion wedges on each slice; roll up; secure with toothpicks. , In a large skillet, brown beef in oil until no longer pink; drain.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. , Remove meat and keep warm.
Beef Flatladen - tastes like Rouladen made Just like Oma
Recipe From : quick-german-recipes.comCut the meat into pieces, about 2 to 3 inches square and about ¾ inch thick. Heat 2 tbsp butter in large skillet. Brown meat well on all sides. Do not crowd, but do in several … ...
German Beef Rouladen Hausfrauenart Recipe
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comLay beef out flat. Cut pickle lengthwise into strips and dice the onion and bacon very finely and set aside. Spread each beef slice with mustard; fill one end with 2 slices of pickle, … ...
Traditional German Beef Rouladen Recipe - Kudos Kitchen by ...
Recipe From : kudoskitchenbyrenee.com2015-03-15 · The step-by-step photo instructions for making traditional German beef rouladen – Pound the beef round steak to ¼” thickness using a meat mallet. Season … ...
- Place each round steak between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound the round steaks to ¼" thickness.
- Season the steaks with 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside while preparing the filling.
- Drain off some of the fat, reduce the heat to medium, and then add the carrots, celery, and onion to the pan and cook until the vegetables are almost tender (about 5 minutes).
German Beef Rouladen Recipe - Traditional German Recipe
Recipe From : tasty-german-recipe.comMy German Beef Rouladen Recipe. 2 onions 4 garlic dill pickles 40g smoked bacon 2 dessert spoons of grainy mustard salt and pepper 4 slices beef top round (Rinderrouladen) your butcher can slice and pound the meat for you) 300g baby onions 2 dessert spoons olive oil 2 dessert spoons tomato puree 1 tsp pepper corns 2 dessert spoons flour 500ml meat broth First chop the onion, pickles and bacon ... ... Show details
10 Best Beef Round Rouladen Recipes | Yummly
Recipe From : yummly.comBeef Rouladen Spend with Pennies salt, dill pickles, butter, onion, mushrooms, pickle juice, beef broth and 6 more German Style Meatballs KimWeems38098 minced onion, eggs, egg noodles, pepper, parsley flakes, worcestershire sauce and 8 more ... Show details
German Beef Rouladen Recipe – German Culture
Recipe From : germanculture.com.ua2016-02-17 · Rouladen or Rinderrouladen is a German meat dish, usually consisting of bacon, onions and pickles wrapped in thinly sliced beef which is then cooked. Ingredients: 4 large, sweet onions, sliced 3 tbsp olive oil 4 lb (1.8 kg) beef top round, cut into 6 mm by 20 cm long slices, pounded until tender 1 … ... Show details
Mom's Traditional German Beef Rouladen (Rinderrouladen ...
Recipe From : food.com2008-12-23 · Traditional German Beef Rouladen with a wonderful gravy, just as my mother made and now I make. This is a family favorite, and an excellent Sunday or Holiday meal. We enjoy our rouladen with boiled new potatoes or potato dumplings and a side of my German Rotkohl recipe #108449 or Country Green Beans recipe … ...
- Roll up firmly jelly roll fashion (with filling to inside, starting at narrow end), and secure each rouladen shut (so filling stays in) with wooden toothpicks, cooking twine, or white sewing thread.
German Beef Rouladen: a Traditional Recipe - Vintage ...
Recipe From : vintagekitchenvixen.com2019-09-03 · Preheat the oven to 275ºF. Line up half of the beef slices on a clean counter, assembly line style. Spread a tablespoon of mustard on each slice of beef. … ...
German Beef Rouladen (Instant Pot & Slow Cooker) | All ...
Recipe From : all-thats-jas.com2013-02-22 · It was updated in February 2020 with new photos and extensive recipe tips. German Beef Rouladen. A filling of mustard, bacon, onion, and pickles is warmly hugged by thin-sliced top round steak. Smother these braised beef … ...
- Gently pound the beef slices with a meat mallet until they're a little thinner, being careful not to beat holes into them.
German Beef Rouladen, Mushroom Gravy - Frugal Hausfrau
Recipe From : frugalhausfrau.com2014-11-03 · Luckily, over the years, I had asked for a lot of her recipes and German Beef Rouladen, Mushroom Gravy is one of them. About German Beef Rouladen, Mushroom Gravy: There was no trace of German Beef Rouladen, Mushroom Gravy in Grandma’s recipe box, either, but it seems pretty clear that this was passed on down the German … ...
- Mix together bread crumbs, bacon and drippings or suet, parsley, marjoram, lemon peel, nutmeg or allspice, and salt & pepper. Add eggs and toss together. Moisten with wine, stock or water until mixture holds together. Set aside.
- While preparing beef, melt two tablespoons butter in a large ovenproof skillet or pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring now and then, until mushrooms are dark and flavorful. If the mushrooms appear too dry as they cook, add water by the tablespoon. Add the onions and continue to cook, stirring often, until onions are soft and buttery. Remove onions and mushrooms and set aside.
- To prepare beef, see text, above, and photos. Trim the beef, if necessary to roughly rectangular shapes. This won’t be perfect, and the shapes will be somewhat irregular, but shoot for about 4 to 5 inches long and about 3 1/2 to 4 inches across. With some pieces, a little additional pounding can help shape the beef.
- Salt and pepper beef if desired then spread with about a tablespoon of the bread crumb mixture. Since the number of slices may vary, it may be easiest to lay out all the beef, then add a tablespoon to each slice. Then divide any excess mixture among the slices. Spread the mixture across each slice of beef, leaving a space on the shortest and straightest edge of about 1/2 inch. Roll from the opposite edge towards the edge that has no stuffing. Rouladen may be tied or held closed with a toothpick.
Beef Rouladen - All Tastes German
Recipe From : alltastesgerman.com2021-03-22 · Authentic German Beef Rouladen Recipe. Beef Rouladen. Yield: 8 Rouladen. Prep Time: 30 minutes. Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes. Total Time: 2 hours. Print Ingredients. 8 slices beef, … ...
German Beef Rouladen Recipe | Rinderrouladen Rindsrouladen
Recipe From : theomaway.com2019-10-05 · The Authentic German Beef Rouladen Recipe is a recipe to prepare filled meat rolls. The Beef Rouladen are called Rindsrouladen or Rinderrouladen in Germany. The Rouladen are traditionally served with dumplings, but I like it also with mashed potatoes or spaetzle. Ingredients for German Beef Rouladen Recipe: 8 slices of top round cutlets; 150 g (5.29 oz) of strips of onions 300 g (10.58 oz) of ... ...
German Beef Rouladen Recipe, Whats Cooking America
Recipe From : whatscookingamerica.net2015-07-30 · Using a meat mallet, pound meat until thin, approximately 1/8 inches (be careful not to pound holes in the meat). Season each steak strip with salt and pepper. … ...
- Cut steaks into strips measuring 3 to 4 inches wide. On a floured surface, coat steak strips with flour. Using a meat mallet, pound meat until thin, approximately 1/8 inches (be careful not to pound holes in the meat).
- Season each steak strip with salt and pepper. Put a little chopped onion and 1/4 bacon slice onto the top of each steak strip.
- To make rouladen, roll up (jelly-roll style) and tie well with cooking string. NOTE: Cooking string can be found in most supermarkets.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add a rouladens and brown thoroughly on all sides, turning as necessary. As each roulade is browned, remove from frying pan and transfer onto a large plate.