Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup
OLD FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP
in 'saved by soup' by judith barrett;
Time: 78 minutes
- heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat
- add in the onion , carrots , and celery
- cook , stirring , until the vegetables begin to soften , 2-3 minutes
- add in the split peas , broth , and water
- bring to a boil
- partially cover pan , decrease heat to med-low , and simmer until the soup is thick , about 45 minutes
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- you can add fresh herbs
- fresh dill is recommended
- also can add meat and ham bones to make it richer
Number Of Ingredients: 9
- dried split peas
- chicken broth
- cold water
- black pepper
OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP
This is my own spin on my French-Canadian grandmother's pea soup. It's actually about the same, I just never use green split peas because I don't like the color. Serve with some nice homemade bread and you've got a full meal. You can omit the step where you thicken the soup with a roux, but this stabilizes the soup so that it doesnt separate with time.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Transylmania
Yield 6 serving(s)
- Put split peas and ham hock in a large soup pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for two and a half hours.
- Add vegetables and seasonings. Continue to cook for another half hour.
- Remove soup from heat. Remove the ham hock and let it cool. Strip any meat from the hock and finely chop. Add back to the soup.
- Put the soup back on low heat.
- In a small skillet melt the butter over medium heat, and add the flour. Cook for about one minute and add about one ladle full of soup. Cook until it begins to boil and then add the soup. Stir the soup until it thickens.
- Serve with bread.
Number Of Ingredients: 11
- 1 ham hock (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 lb yellow split peas
- 10 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 1 teaspoon savory
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
You'll also love
More recipes about Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup recipes
Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone Recipe: How to ...
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comOld-Fashioned Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone Not only is this old-fashioned favorite a snap to make but it's economical, too. Carrots, celery and onion accent the subtle … ...
Category: Dinner, Lunch
Estimated Reading Time: 40 secs
Easy Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup | Canadian Goodness
Recipe From : dairyfarmersofcanada.caEasy Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup. Milk Calendar Classics; Dinner; Lunch; Soups & Creams; This recipe is taken from the 1992 Milk Calendar. This is the Easy Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup recipe. Prep: 10 min; Cooking: 2 h 30 - 3 h; Yields 8 cups (2 L) Ingredients; Preparation; Nutrition; Ingredients. 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dry yellow split … ... Show details
Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup recipe - Today's Parent
Recipe From : todaysparent.com2005-10-01 · Instructions. Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on high setting for about 6 hours. The peas should disintegrate completely and the meat should be falling apart. Let cool slightly, then remove ham or turkey from the soup … ...
Calories: 310 per serving
Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup Recipe | Recipes.net
Recipe From : recipes.net2020-05-23 · Instructions. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cover dried peas with water. Bring split peas to a boil; boil gently for 2 minutes. Set aside to soak for 1 hour. Add ham bone, chopped onion, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, and pepper. Bring split pea soup … ...
Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
Split Pea Soup Recipe | The Gracious Wife
Recipe From : thegraciouswife.com2021-01-01 · Add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until fragrant. Drain split peas and add to pot with ham bone, bay leaves, thyme, chicken stock, and water. Stir to combine. Bring soup … ...
Total Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Old-Fashioned Split-Pea Soup - Recipe | Cooks.com
Recipe From : cooks.com2010-06-22 · Home > Recipes > Soups > Old-Fashioned Split-Pea Soup. Printer-friendly version. OLD-FASHIONED SPLIT-PEA SOUP : 1 pkg. (1 lb.) dried, split green peas 6 1/2 c. water 1 pkg. smoked pork chops (3-4 chops) 2 cans (13 3/4 or 14 1/2 oz. size) chicken broth 1 med. onion, chopped 6 lg. carrots, pared and sliced 2 stalks celery, sliced 2 parsley sprigs, chopped (optional) 1 clove garlic, minced 1 … ... Show details
Old-Fashioned Pea Soup | Ricardo
Recipe From : ricardocuisine.com2008-11-17 · In a large saucepan, brown the onions in the butter. Add the carrots and celery. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the water, drained peas, … ...
Total Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
Classic Split Pea Soup With Ham Recipe
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comIn a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cover dried peas with 2 quarts of water. Bring the peas to a boil; boil gently for 2 minutes. Set aside to soak for 1 hour. Add ham bone to the peas, along with chopped onion, bay leaf, garlic powder, marjoram, thyme, and pepper, and bring the soup to a boil. ...
Estimated Reading Time: 3 mins
Grandma's Pea Soup Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comCover peas with water and soak overnight. Drain, rinse and place in a Dutch oven. Add ham bone, water and remaining soup ingredients except sausage and dumplings. Bring to a boil. ...
Cuisine: Europe, German
Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Drain, rinse and place in a Dutch oven. , Add ham bone, water and remaining soup ingredients except sausage and dumplings.
- Remove meat from bone; dice. Add ham and, if desired, sausage to pan. , For dumplings, place flour in a small bowl.
Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup - Recipe | Cooks.com
Recipe From : cooks.com2011-05-15 · Home > Recipes > Old Time > Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup. Printer-friendly version. OLD FASHIONED SPLIT PEA SOUP : 1 tbsp. butter 1 c. chopped onion 1 c. sliced carrots 1/2 c. chopped celery 1 ham bone 1 pkg. (1 lb.) dried green split peas 1 can (12 oz.) beer 7 1/2 c. water 1/2 bay leaf 1/4 tsp. dried leaf thyme 1 tbsp. vinegar 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. Tabasco pepper sauce. In a large … ... Show details
Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone Recipe | Easy ...
Recipe From : recipegoulash.com2020-12-07 · Crecipe.com provide fine choice of excellent Old-fashioned split pea soup with ham bone recipes equipped with ratings, critiques and mixing suggestions. Quick split pea soup recipe, homemade with straightforward components in a single pot more than stovetop. Loaded with tender split peas, broth, shredded ham and vegetables. Also recognized as 'pea and ham soup' or 'green pea soup… ... Show details
Old Fashioned Split Pea Soup - Heather Christo
Recipe From : heatherchristo.com2014-10-22 · In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Stir to coat the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the whole ham hock, split peas … ...
Estimated Reading Time: 3 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins
Split Pea Soup Recipe with Hambone - Food.com
Recipe From : food.com2003-12-24 · Rinse peas well in cold water and add to a large cooking pot. Measure 8 cups of water and add to cooking pot. Bring to boil, remove from heat, cover and let … ...
Total Time: 4 hrs
Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone Recipe | Taste ...
Recipe From : staging2.tasteofhome.comDrain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return peas to Dutch oven. Add 2-1/2 qts. water, ham bone, onion, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the ham bone; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone. ...
Old-fashioned Ham Bone Split Pea Soup (Slow-Cooker Recipe)
Recipe From : thegoodheartedwoman.com2019-06-06 · Old-fashioned Ham Bone Split Pea Soup may not be the prettiest of soups, but it is always dependably hearty, comforting, and easy on the budget. Oh, and it’s delicious, too! Old-fashioned Ham Bone Split Pea Soup … ...
Total Time: 4 hrs 15 mins
- Give everything a quick stir, and then set slow cooker to HIGH and cook 4-6 hours. If possible, stir it about halfway through.
- After cooking for 4-6 hours, the meat on the ham-bone should be falling apart. Reduce the slow cooker to LOW. If your soup seems too thick, add more water at this time.
- Using tongs or an extra-large serving spoon, carefully remove ham bone to a plate to cool.When the ham bone is cool enough to handle, remove any ham and return the meat to the soup. Discard the ham bone.
Easy split pea soup | BBC Good Food
Recipe From : bbcgoodfood.comPour in the hot stock and the split peas. Bring to a simmer and let them cook for 40 to 50 minutes under a lid or until the peas are cooked through. STEP 3 Take the soup from the heath and mix well. ...
- Fry the onion in a little butter and cook for 2 minutes. Add the other vegetables and the potato and cook a few minutes more.
- Pour in the hot stock and the split peas. Bring to a simmer and let them cook for 40 to 50 minutes under a lid or until the peas are cooked through.
- Take the soup from the heath and mix well. Season if necessary but be careful with salt as the bacon is already quite salty. Add the smoked bacon cubes and let the soup stand for about 15 min with the lid on before serving so the smokey taste of the bacon can infuse the soup.
Old-fashioned split pea soup with ham bone recipe
Recipe From : crecipe.comOld-fashioned split pea soup with ham bone recipe. Learn how to cook great Old-fashioned split pea soup with ham bone . Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Old-fashioned split pea soup with ham bone recipes equipped with ratings, reviews … ... Show details
Newfoundland-Style Pea Soup Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com2019-04-04 · Place the beef into a container and cover with water. Soak overnight in the refrigerator to remove excess salt. Drain, rinse, and cut into small cubes before using. … ...
Total Time: 9 hrs 10 mins
- Place the beef into a container and cover with water. Soak overnight in the refrigerator to remove excess salt. Drain, rinse, and cut into small cubes before using.
- Bring the cubed beef, peas, and water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the peas have softened and mostly dissolved, about 30 minutes. Stir or whisk frequently to help the peas dissolve, and to keep the soup from burning on the bottom of the pot. Stir in the carrots, turnips, and black pepper, continue simmering until the vegetables have softened, about 15 minutes more.
10 Best Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone Recipes | Yummly
Recipe From : yummly.com2021-06-11 · Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone Taste of Home ham bone, green split peas, dried thyme, pepper, chopped celery and 4 more Split Pea Soup with Ham Striped Spatula ... Show details
How I Make Split Pea Soup from Scratch, Best Old Fashioned ...
Recipe From : youtube.comDried Split Pea Recipe, Split pea soup cooked with Onions and chicken broth.The split pea soup is then strained for an amazing creamy soup!WANT TO BUY A COOK... ... Show details
Old Fashioned Split Pea & Ham Soup Recipe : Soup Recipes ...
Recipe From : youtube.comSubscribe Now:http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=CookingguideWatch More:http://www.youtube.com/CookingguideOld fashioned split pea and ham s... ... Show details
Pea And Ham Soup | Grandmas Old Fashioned Soup | Easy Recipes
Recipe From : 20minutecook.comMy Grandma's Old Fashioned Split Pea and Ham Soup. A Delicious Warming One Pot Meal. Easy Recipes Rating: Very Easy. Hands-On Time: 10 Minutes. Hands-Off Time: 2 Hours. To go to the photo tutorial, click on the button: Ham and Pea Soup Photo Tutorial. This recipe makes 6 to 8 serves. You'll need: 650 gm ham hock; 1 cup split peas; 1 onion, diced; 4 medium carrots or 3 large, diced chunky; … ... Show details
Old-Fashioned Quebec Pea Soup Recipe | SparkRecipes
Recipe From : recipes.sparkpeople.comOld-Fashioned Quebec Pea Soup. Share on Facebook Share on Pinterest Share by Email More sharing options. Share on Twitter. Print . Be the first to rate this recipe! Create a Recipe Makeover. Nutritional Info. Servings Per Recipe: 8 Amount Per Serving Calories: 116.0. Total Fat: 4.4 g; Cholesterol: 7.3 mg; Sodium: 255.8 mg; Total Carbs: 8.8 g; Dietary Fiber: 2.1 g; Protein: 4.1 g. View full ... ... Show details
Old-Fashioned Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone | Recipe | Pea ...
Recipe From : pinterest.comOld-Fashioned Split Pea Soup with Ham Bone. 26 · 45 minutes · Not only is this old-fashioned favorite a snap to make but it's economical, too. Carrots, celery and onion accent the subtle flavor of the split peas, while a ham bone adds a meaty touch to this hearty soup. It's sure to chase away autumn's chill. —Laurie Todd, Columbus, Mississippi . Recipe by Taste of Home. 5.1k. 9 ingredients ... ...
Estimated Reading Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 2 hrs 45 mins
Split Pea Soup Recipe with Ham - how to make on the stove
Recipe From : theblackpeppercorn.com2011-07-19 · Split pea soup with ham bone recipe made on the stove in a stock pot. Carrots, onions also a part of this easy to make soup that is comfort food for the fall. Prep Time: 15 minutes. Cook Time: 2 hours. Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes. Servings: 6 people. Ingredients. 1 ham bone; 1 1/2 cups ham, cubed; 1 pound dried split … ...
Total Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
- In a 10 qt pot bring water, with the ham bone in pot, to a boil. Have the water at a low rolling boil for about 45 minutes.
- Remove ham bone and skim the broth. Remove broth so that about 10 cups remain in the pot. Keep the extra broth in case you need to add more later.
- The peas will expand and soak up the water. Eventually the peas will turn into a thin paste. If you need to add water, add at about a cup at a time.
Split Pea and Ham Soup is an Old Fashioned Meal in a Bowl ...
Recipe From : flourchild.com2020-09-10 · 1. Cut off excess meat from ham bone, chop and reserve for serving. 2. Add chicken broth, water and ham bone to a large soup pot, then add all remaining ingredients. 3. Bring to a boil, then … ...
Category: Soups And Stews
Total Time: 450841 hrs 19 mins
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, approximately 1-1/2 hours.