Southern Fried Chicken
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
thanks paula deen (foodtv) for the best fried chicken i have ever made! it has a nice, savory flavor and a coating that has just the right amount of crispiness. it was a good thing i had an extra cut-up chicken in the refrigerator because my family was begging for it again the next day. although it calls for what seems like a lot of hot pepper sauce, it isn't any spicier than jack-in-the box's spicy crispy chicken--you can take it!! fyi i made this using 10 pounds of wings--enough of the hot sauce/egg mixture to cover, but you will need to double flour mixture if you want to do this much. i'm not saying it tastes like kfc--only that you won't be doing business with them anymore.
Time: 40 minutes
- heat peanut oil in a large deep pot to 350f
- for sauce mixture: in a medium-sized bowl , beat the eggs with the water
- add hot sauce and whisk together well
- pour this mixture into a large plastic zip-top bag
- for seasoning mixture: in a small bowl , combine 1 teaspoon salt , 1 / 4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1 / 4 teaspoon garlic powder
- for dredging mixture: in a another bowl , mix flour , baking powder and 1 / 4 teaspoon salt
- rinse and pat dry chicken pieces with a paper towel
- cut breast pieces in half across ribs
- sprinkle chicken generously on both sides with seasoning blend
- drop a few chicken pieces of chicken into bag of sauce mixture and squish around to coat thoroughly
- one piece at a time , roll chicken in flour mixture and drop into hot oil', "don't crowd chicken pieces--i cook about half the chicken at a time", 'fry chicken until brown and crisp
- drain on paper toweling
- dark meat will take about 14 minutes , white meat about 10 minutes
- remember smaller pieces cook faster than the larger ones
- you can check for doneness by piercing to the bone in the thickest part with a fork
- if the juices run clear , it is done
Number Of Ingredients: 9
- hot sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
Thanks Paula Deen (FoodTV) for the best fried chicken I have ever made! It has a nice, savory flavor and a coating that has just the right amount of crispiness. It was a good thing I had an extra cut-up chicken in the refrigerator because my family was begging for it again the next day. Although it calls for what seems like a lot of hot pepper sauce, it isn't any spicier than Jack-In-the Box's Spicy Crispy Chicken--you can take it!! FYI I made this using 10 pounds of wings--enough of the hot sauce/egg mixture to cover, but you will need to double flour mixture if you want to do this much. I'm not saying it tastes like KFC--only that you won't be doing business with them anymore.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by SharleneW
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
- Heat peanut oil in a large deep pot to 350°F (do not fill more than half full--you don't want a hot-oil spill-over accident!).
- For sauce mixture: in a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs with the water.
- Add hot sauce and whisk together well.
- Pour this mixture into a large plastic zip-top bag.
- For seasoning mixture: In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- For dredging mixture: In a another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces with a paper towel.
- Cut breast pieces in half across ribs.
- Sprinkle chicken generously on both sides with seasoning blend.
- Drop a few chicken pieces of chicken into bag of sauce mixture and squish around to coat thoroughly.
- One piece at a time, roll chicken in flour mixture and drop into hot oil.
- Don't crowd chicken pieces--I cook about half the chicken at a time.
- Fry chicken until brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper toweling.
- Dark meat will take about 14 minutes, white meat about 10 minutes.
- Remember smaller pieces cook faster than the larger ones.
- You can check for doneness by piercing to the bone in the thickest part with a fork.
- If the juices run clear, it is done.
Number Of Ingredients: 10
- 2 lbs cut-up chicken
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup hot sauce (I use Louisiana Hot Sauce, Tabasco might be hotter)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
You'll also love
More recipes about Southern Fried Chicken recipes
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com1999-05-19 · Add 1/2 to 3/4 inch oil to a large, heavy skillet. Heat to approximately 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Cover, and fry until golden, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes. ...
Total Time: 35 mins
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 inch oil to a large, heavy skillet. Heat to approximately 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Cover, and fry until golden, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Best Southern Fried Chicken Recipe: How to Make It | Taste ...
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comIn a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture. In a large skillet; brown … ...
Estimated Reading Time: 40 secs
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture. , In a large skillet; brown chicken in oil on both sides.
Classic Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comPreheat the oven to 200 F and place a rack in a large baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine the milk and eggs. Whisk to blend well. In a large heavy-duty resealable plastic food storage bag, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons salt, and pepper. ...
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Calories: 2768 per serving
Real Southern Fried Chicken Recipe: How to Make It | Taste ...
Recipe From : tasteofhome.comIn an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Meanwhile, place remaining buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk flour, onion powder, garlic powder, … ...
Estimated Reading Time: 50 secs
- Add chicken; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, overnight., In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and remaining salt and pepper.
Southern-Style Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com2018-06-08 · Directions. Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, salt and pepper, and cayenne in a bowl, and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours. When you are ready to cook the chicken… ...
Total Time: 3 hrs
- Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, salt and pepper, and cayenne in a bowl, and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in the other plastic bag. Shake to mix thoroughly. Transfer one marinated chicken piece at a time into the dry ingredient bag, and shake well to ensure complete coverage. After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in the buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, making sure not to burn the oil. When oil is hot, fry chicken in batches until golden brown and juices run clear, turning chicken to brown evenly.
Our Favorite Fried Chicken Recipes | Southern Living
Recipe From : southernliving.comThese favorite fried chicken recipes are to be made over and over again, from our most simple recipes to the ones with all the bells and whistles.For a truly Southern take on fried chicken, fry up a batch of Mama’s Fried Chicken—simply seasoned with salt and pepper and soaked in buttermilk. It's the definition of "Don't mess with a good thing." From there, renditions are endless and ... ... Show details
Southern fried chicken recipe | Jamie Oliver chicken recipes
Recipe From : jamieoliver.com2015-09-16 · Bring the temperature of the oil back up, repeat the process with the remaining 2 thighs, then pop the tray into the oven. Fry the 4 drumsticks in one batch, … ...
Total Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
- To make the brine, toast the peppercorns in a large pan on a high heat for 1 minute, then add the rest of the brine ingredients and 400ml of cold water.
- Meanwhile, slash the chicken thighs a few times as deep as the bone, keeping the skin on for maximum flavour.
- Once the brine is cool, add all the chicken pieces, cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for at least 12 hours – I do this overnight.
Traditional Southern Fried Chicken Recipe - Julias Simply ...
Recipe From : juliassimplysouthern.com2020-04-30 · Use tongs to turn every 5 minutes, fry the chicken until crispy and golden brown (12-15 minutes). Transfer the cooked chicken pieces to a paper towel lined sheet pan with a cooling rack placed on top to drain excess cooking oil. Continue with frying … ...
Cuisine: Southern United States
Total Time: 50 mins
- Combine the Marinade: In a large mixing bowl, combine two cups of buttermilk with 2 teaspoons of hot sauce; add the chicken pieces and make sure they're all coated well. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Prepare the dry dredge mixture by combining the flour and seasonings together in a large bowl; set aside.
- Prepare the wet dredge mixture by whisking together the egg with a cup of buttermilk in a large bowl; set aside.
The Best Buttermilk-Brined Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
Recipe From : seriouseats.com...
- Combine the paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg, 1 tablespoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and toss and turn to coat.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and the remaining spice mixture in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the marinade from the zipper-lock bag and work it into the flour with your fingertips.
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the shortening or oil to 425°F in a 12-inch straight-sided cast-iron chicken fryer or a large wok over medium-high heat.
- One piece at a time, transfer the coated chicken to a fine-mesh strainer and shake to remove excess flour. Transfer to a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer chicken to a clean wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, season lightly with salt, and place in the oven. Bake until thickest part of breast pieces registers 150°F (65.5°C) on an instant-read thermometer, and thigh/drumstick pieces register 165°F (74°C), 5 to 10 minutes; remove chicken pieces as they reach their target temperature, and transfer to a second wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, or a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place the plate of cooked chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, and up to overnight. When ready to serve, reheat the oil to 400°F. Add the chicken pieces and cook, flipping them once halfway through cooking, until completely crisp, about 5 minutes.
Southern KFC SECRET Fried Chicken Recipe!
Recipe From : myincrediblerecipes.com2016-07-01 · Southern KFC SECRET Fried Chicken Recipe! Ingredients. Southern Fried Chicken 6-8 pieces of chicken (I used thighs and drums) 2 cups buttermilk 1 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon parsley 1 teaspoon paprika 3 large eggs 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon thyme 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon adobo 1 teaspoon … ... Show details
Southern Style Deep-Fried Chicken Recipe | Nigella Lawson ...
Recipe From : foodnetwork.com...
Author: Nigella Lawson
Southern Fried Chicken - melissassouthernstylekitchen.com
Recipe From : melissassouthernstylekitchen.com2019-02-17 · On a plate sift together the flour, cornstarch, 2 tsp seasoned salt, 1 tsp black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. In a large shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp … ...
Total Time: 45 mins
Category: Main Course
- Season chicken pieces on all sides with 1 tsp seasoned salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Place into an oblong baking dish and cover with 2 1/2 cups buttermilk. Turn to coat. Chill overnight, turning once.
- 30 minutes before frying: Remove chicken from buttermilk, discard marinade. On a plate sift together the flour, cornstarch, 2 tsp seasoned salt, 1 tsp black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- In a large shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 cup buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour, into egg wash then into flour again. Arrange on a baking sheet. Let stand for 30 minutes to bring to room temperature and set breading.
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe - Paula Deen
Recipe From : pauladeen.comDip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour. Place the chicken in the preheated oil and fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. Approximate cooking time is 13 to 14 minutes for dark meat and 8 to 10 minutes for white meat. ...
Total Time: 10 mins
Southern Batter Fried Chicken - All food Recipes Best ...
Recipe From : allfood.recipes2015-07-08 · Dip the flour-coated chicken in the egg mixture and again in the flour mixture. Heat the oil in a skillet to 365 degrees F. Brown the chicken on all sides in the … ...
Estimated Reading Time: 40 secs
Traditional Southern Fried Chicken | I Heart Recipes
Recipe From : iheartrecipes.com2017-03-15 · A lot of traditional southern fried chicken recipes, are actually buttermilk fried chicken recipes. However, that is not the only way to make southern fried chicken. Instead of using buttermilk, they brine the chicken in a salt & sugar water. This method is actually my favorite, and my fried chicken … ...
Total Time: 9 hrs
10 Best Southern Fried Chicken Seasoning Recipes | Yummly
Recipe From : yummly.com...
- black pepper, chives, sage, sugar, dried sage, salt, Louisiana Hot Sauce and 16 more.
- drippings, salt, pepper, salt, pepper, chicken, Martha White All-Purpose Flour and 4 more.
- freshly ground black pepper, White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix and 4 more.
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe • The Rustic Elk
Recipe From : therusticelk.com2019-03-28 · Instructions Mix together your sea salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper in a small bowl. Combine the buttermilk, eggs, and a couple pinches of the seasoning mix into a large dish … ...
Estimated Reading Time: 3 mins
- Combine the buttermilk, eggs, and a couple pinches of the seasoning mix into a large dish that can hold all of your chicken together.
Southern fried chicken recipe - BBC Food
Recipe From : bbc.co.ukDip the chicken into the mixture and turn to coat well on all sides. Place on the lined baking tray. Spray each thigh 4–5 times with the oil. Cook on the top shelf for 20–30 minutes, or until ... ...
Category: Main Course
Southern Fried Chicken Thighs Recipe - The Spruce Eats
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comGather the ingredients. Add the chicken thighs to a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk, paprika, cayenne, 1 tablespoon of the salt, and 2 teaspoons of the black pepper. Mix … ...
Total Time: 30 mins
Estimated Reading Time: 4 mins
Traditional Southern Fried Chicken Recipe ...
Recipe From : gritsandpinecones.com2021-06-10 · Southern Fried Chicken Recipe. Southern Fried Chicken is a true Southern classic with its delightfully golden and perfectly crispy crust and tender, juicy meat. Marinated in buttermilk and cooked to perfection, the first bite is nothing less than a flavor explosion in your mouth. Course Main Dish. Cuisine Southern… ...
Category: Main Dish
Total Time: 4 hrs 40 mins
- Add the chicken, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours or up to 24 hours. The longer, the better.
- About an hour before you are ready to fry, remove the bowl from the refrigerator and everything come to room temperature. Doing this will allow the meat to cook more evenly.
The Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken Recipe - Shaun Doty ...
Recipe From : foodandwine.com2013-12-07 · Pat the chicken pieces dry. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in the seasoned flour. Dip the coated chicken in the egg, then dredge … ...
Total Time: 45 mins
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, 2 1/2 tablespoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in the seasoned flour. Dip the coated chicken in the egg, then dredge again in the seasoned flour and transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 3/4 inch of oil to 360°. Set a rack over another baking sheet. Fry half of the chicken over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted nearest the bone registers 165°, about 15 minutes. Transfer to the rack. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Serve right away.
Southern fried chicken recipe | BBC Good Food
Recipe From : bbcgoodfood.com2013-04-12 · Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Take half of the chicken out of the milk, shake off any excess and put in the bag of seasoned flour. Hold the top closed … ...
Category: Dinner, Main Course
Total Time: 50 mins
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken in a bowl and pour over the milk. Tip the flour and spices into a large plastic bag and add a large pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Take half of the chicken out of the milk, shake off any excess and put in the bag of seasoned flour. Hold the top closed and shake well. Lift the pieces out and shake off any excess, but don’t do this too hard or you’ll end up with no coating. Lower the pieces into the oil and fry on each side until golden and crisp – don’t overdo it as the chicken is being baked next and will brown further. Use tongs to turn the chicken and try not to tear the coating. Transfer to a rack set in a roasting tin. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Bake for 30 mins until cooked – check one drumstick and one thigh with a skewer – cook for longer if you need to.
Southern fried chicken | Fried chicken recipe | SBS Food
Recipe From : sbs.com.auPlace chicken, cayenne pepper, white pepper, Tabasco, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper in a bowl and mix to … ...
Total Time: 40 mins
Fried Chicken | RecipeTin Eats
Recipe From : recipetineats.com2020-01-31 · Fried Chicken – with the most insanely crispy, thick craggy crust heavily seasoned with a KFC copycat “11 secret herbs and spices”! This recipe uses a Southern buttermilk marinade to make the flesh juicy all the way through, and a breading secret trick for how to make fried chicken with an ultra crunchy, nubbly crust.. Fried Chicken… ...
Cuisine: Southern, Western
Total Time: 45 mins
Southern Fried Chicken recipe by Fatima Mahomed
Recipe From : halaal.recipesPrepare chicken wash, drain, dab pieces with clean kitchen towel. Marinate In a bowl, add all Seasonings, spices wet paste and green masala. Steam, remove pieces when pieced should run clear juices. Steps Combine flour and mazeina together in a bowl, place the huge chicken pieces toss. ...
Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken Recipe - CurryTrail
Recipe From : currytrail.in2020-06-05 · How To Make The Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken Recipe (Step-By-Step Photos) Add all ingredients for brine into a pan. Whisk until salt and sugar is completely dissolved. Keep it aside until it cools completely. 2. Place chicken pieces in brine. Cover the top with grease proof paper or cling film. Place it in fridge for 6-8 hours. 3. Remove chicken … ...
Category: Appetizer, Snacks, Starters
Total Time: 12 hrs 51 mins
- Into a large stainless steel pan, add crushed garlic, black pepper corns, bay leaves, fresh thyme, brown sugar, kosher salt. Add 2 cups of boiling hot water into the pan and stir until salt and sugar is dissolved. (if salt does not dissolve easily, you can place the pan on stove and heat it until salt is dissolved completely).
- After brining chicken would be hydrated looking plumper. Remove chicken from the brine, shake off liquids and put it into zip lock bag.
- Jamie’s secret spice mix is a mix of plain flour, baking powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix everything well.
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe | Robert Irvine | Food Network
Recipe From : foodnetwork.com2016-11-21 · In a large bowl, blend the eggs, buttermilk and Cajun spice. Mix well, and then pour over the chicken pieces, mixing and coating well. After coating the chicken… ...
Author: Robert Irvine
- In a large bowl, blend the eggs, buttermilk and Cajun spice. Mix well, and then pour over the chicken pieces, mixing and coating well. After coating the chicken, cover and refrigerate overnight, or for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Preheat the oil to 300 degrees F in a deep-fryer. Remove the chicken from the marinade and allow to sit on a baking screen for 5 minutes. This will allow any excess marinade to drip off.
- Next, in a large bowl, blend the flour, salt and pepper, mixing well. Dredge the marinated chicken in the flour. Coat the chicken well with flour, and then tap off any excess. Add to the heated oil. Fry the chicken in batches until it reaches 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, 13 to 15 minutes. Then remove from the oil and allow any excess to drip off before serving. This will allow the meat to rest before serving. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining chicken. (Hold the cooked chicken in the oven on low temperature if doing in batches.)