Spicy Cornmeal Cod
CRISPY OVEN-FRIED COD FISH
There is nothing fancy about this but if your looking for a crispy coating without any deep-frying this is about as good as it gets, If your skillet is not large enough to hold all of the fish, then transfer to a baking sheet that has been coated with oil, only dry breadcrumbs or the coating will not adhere to the fish --- cooking time is for oven only, if desired any large fish fillet can be replaced for the cod, all seasoning my be adjusted to taste
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Yield 6 serving(s)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- In a large heavy ziploc plasic bag combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, seasoning salt, lemon pepper, cayenne and garlic powder; shake the bag to mix (can use a shallow bowl).
- In a shallow bowl slightly beat the eggs.
- Adding one piece of fish at a time to the bag, coat well with the mixture, then remove and dip the fish in the eggs, then return to the bag to coat the fish again, repeat for all of the cod pieces; transfer to a plate.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons oil in a large 12-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Fry the fish until the undersides are golden brown (about 1 minute).
- Turn over and add in another 3-4 tablespoons oil; cook another 1 minute more.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 5-6 minutes or until JUST cooked through.
Number Of Ingredients: 9
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper (or use 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (garlic lovers increase to 2 teaspoons if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less if desired)
- 6 (6 ounce) cod fish fillets (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 -7 tablespoons vegetable oil (more or less as needed)
PAN-FRIED CORNMEAL BATTER FISH
Make and share this Pan-Fried Cornmeal Batter Fish recipe from Food.com.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by daisygrl64
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients: 11
- 2 lbs fish fillets (of your choice)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
CRISPY OVEN-FRIED COD
Recipe From epicurious.com
Yield Makes 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, salt, and cayenne in a large sealable plastic bag and shake to mix.
- Season fish with salt and pepper on both sides and, working with 1 piece at a time, put fish in bag and shake to coat well with crumbs. Dip fish in eggs, then shake in crumbs again to coat. Transfer fish to a plate.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until hot but not smoking, then fry fish until undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn over, add remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and cook 1 minute more. Put skillet in upper third of oven and bake until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Number Of Ingredients: 8
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 (6-oz) pieces center-cut cod or scrod fillet (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Accompaniment: lemon wedges and tartar sauce
You'll also love
More recipes about Spicy Cornmeal Cod recipes
Spicy Cornmeal Cod Recipe - BettyCrocker.com
Recipe From : bettycrocker.com2005-05-16 · Spicy Cornmeal Cod. 25 Ratings. 4 Reviews. Prep 10 min; Total 22 min; Servings 6; These golden fillets are coated with a cornmeal-herb mixture and baked to crispy perfection. By Betty Crocker Kitchens. Updated May 16, 2005 Make With. Gold Medal Flour. Ingredients. 1 1/2 pounds cod… ...
Spicy Cornmeal Cod (lighter recipe) Recipe - BettyCrocker.com
Recipe From : bettycrocker.com2015-02-12 · Spicy Cornmeal Cod (lighter recipe) 9 Ratings. 4 Reviews. Kitchen Tested. Prep 15 min; Total 30 min; Servings 6; A spicy coating gives lots of flavor--but little fat--to this fabulous fish recipe. By Betty Crocker Kitchens. Updated July 14, 2014 Make With. Gold Medal Flour. Ingredients. 1 1/2 pounds cod… ...
Spicy Cornmeal Cod - Recipe | Cooks.com
Recipe From : cooks.com2014-09-10 · Home > Recipes > Main Dishes > Spicy Cornmeal Cod. Printer-friendly version. SPICY CORNMEAL COD : 1 1/2 lb. cod, perch or other lean fish fillets (about 1/2-inch thick) 3/4 c. cornmeal 1/4 c. all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne; can only use 1/4 tsp.) 1/2 tsp. pepper 2 large eggs, beaten 3 tbsp. butter, melted ... ... Show details
Cornmeal Coating Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com2019-07-10 · Add cod fillets, and marinate 5 minutes. Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Step 2 In a shallow bowl, mix together cornmeal and flour. ...
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and lemon juice. Add cod fillets, and marinate 5 minutes. Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together cornmeal and flour. Season with paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, thyme and cayenne pepper. Dredge fish in cornmeal mixture.
Saucy Spiced Cod With Corn Recipe | Bon Appétit
Recipe From : bonappetit.com2020-08-18 · Melt butter in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat. Add garlic, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds and cook, swirling pan often, until butter is foaming and spices are very fragrant, about 2... ...
- Melt butter in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat. Add garlic, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds and cook, swirling pan often, until butter is foaming and spices are very fragrant, about 2 minutes (reduce heat if butter is starting to brown). Add red pepper flakes, turmeric, a big pinch of salt, and several grinds of pepper. Cook, swirling pan, until very fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ½ cup water (careful, it may spatter a bit), then soy sauce.
- Add corn to skillet. Season fish lightly with salt and nestle into corn and broth; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until fish flakes easily with a fork, 7–9 minutes.
- Divide fish among bowls. Taste broth and season with more salt if needed. Divide corn and broth among bowls and top with mint and sesame seeds.
Spicy cornmeal cod « The Eat Food NOT Money Cookbook
Recipe From : theeatfoodnotmoneycookbook.wordpress.com2009-01-02 · Spicy cornmeal cod. I’ve mentioned before that I adore seafood. I like freshwater fish some too *lol* so I thought I’d share a couple of my fish recipes today. What you’ll need: 1 ½ lbs cod, perch or other medium firm fish fillets, about ½ inch thick ¾ c cornmeal ¼ c flour ½ tsp salt ½ tsp garlic powder ½ tsp dried oregano leaves ½ tsp cayenne pepper ½ tsp pepper 2 eggs 3 Tbl ... ... Show details
Corn Meal Crusted Cod - Country Grocer
Recipe From : countrygrocer.comCombine all of the crust ingredients together in a mixing bowl and stir until combined and then press and compact with your hands. Season the cod on both sides with salt and fresh black pepper and place on a lightly greased pan. Now cover each piece of cod with a thin layer of the crust and gently push into the fish until set in place. ...
Cornmeal Fried Fish - My Gorgeous Recipes
Recipe From : mygorgeousrecipes.com2020-06-23 · Instructions In a large bow, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. Coat the fish fillets in the cornmeal mixture, shaking off the excess cornmeal. Heat up the oil in a frying pan set … ...
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat, and fry each fillet for about 3-4 minutes on each side (skin down first), or until golden.
Low-Fat Spice-Rubbed Cod Recipe
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comWhile the recipe is written for true cod (or Pacific cod), the rub can work on almost any other mild-tasting white fish. These are the perfect foundation for the spices, and if it's not quite spicy enough for you, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the mix. The fish can be broiled, though you might also like to cook it on the grill. How long the fish needs to cook depends on its thickness. As a ... ...
Easy Baked Cod Recipe with Lemon and Garlic| The ...
Recipe From : themediterraneandish.com2021-03-29 · Mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, and melted butter in a shallow bowl (do not add the garlic yet). Set aside. In another shallow bowl, mix the all-purpose … ...
- In another shallow bowl, mix all-purpose flour, spices, salt and pepper. Set next to the lemon juice mixture.
- Pat fish fillet dry. Dip fish in the lemon juice mixture then dip in the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour. Reserve the lemon juice mixture for later.
Spicy Caribbean Baked Cod Recipe | MyRecipes
Recipe From : myrecipes.comStep 2. Mix 3 peeled and finely chopped garlic cloves, 1/2tsp each ground turmeric and ground cumin, 1/4tsp each hot chilli powder and paprika, finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, 3 tbsp olive oil and a small handful of chopped coriander. Step 3. Place 4 x 175g (6oz) thick cod … ...
- Mix 3 peeled and finely chopped garlic cloves, 1/2tsp each ground turmeric and ground cumin, 1/4tsp each hot chilli powder and paprika, finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, 3 tbsp olive oil and a small handful of chopped coriander.
- Place 4 x 175g (6oz) thick cod fillets in a dish. Pour over the marinade and turn the fish till evenly coated.
Cheesy Spicy Cornbread | Easy Cornbread Recipe You'll Love
Recipe From : thehappierhomemaker.com2018-10-15 · Spray an 8 by 8 inch pan with nonstick spray. In a large bowl combine all ingredients and stir well to blend. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick … ...
Cod Fish Recipe with Garlic Butter Sauce | Primavera Kitchen
Recipe From : primaverakitchen.com2020-08-13 · Recipe notes. Storage – Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.; Reheating – Heat in the microwave or on the stove until the fish is warmed through. You may need to add a splash of water or more butter for added moisture. Meal prep – This cod fish recipe … ...
- Pat cod fish dry with paper towel and season all over with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt and pepper.
- Place the cod fish in a large (10-inch) skillet and turn the heat to medium. Sear fish for 3-4 minutes. Flip your cod fish fillets over to cook the other side.
Spicy Cod Bites - Shore Lunch
Recipe From : shorelunch.com2020-06-02 · Heat the oil in a large stock pot to 350 ºF. 2 Add the cod to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and toss to coat. ...
- Add the cod to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and toss to coat.
Crispy Air Fryer Cod Recipe | Allrecipes
Recipe From : allrecipes.com2019-11-09 · Combine polenta, flour, seafood seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, and paprika in a shallow dish. Coat each piece of cod with the breading … ...
- Combine polenta, flour, seafood seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, and paprika in a shallow dish. Coat each piece of cod with the breading mixture, pressing breading on each side of the fish until well coated.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with olive oil cooking spray. Arrange cod in the basket, leaving space between each piece so air can circulate. Spray the top of each piece of cod with cooking spray.
Spicy Chili and Cornmeal Casserole Recipe | Food Network ...
Recipe From : foodnetwork.com2016-11-16 · Directions Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, … ...
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium; add the cumin, garlic, oregano, chipotles, adobo sauce, tomato paste and a few grinds of pepper and stir until combined. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in the black beans, tomatoes and chicken broth and cook until the broth is reduced, 8 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the polenta according to package instructions. Remove from the heat and stir in the Cheddar and chopped jalapenos. Spray a 3-quart flameproof casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread the chili in the bottom of the casserole and top with the polenta, spreading evenly to cover the chili completely. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake until bubbling, 25 minutes. Remove the foil and broil until the top is nicely browned, 2 to 5 minutes. Serve hot, with toppings.
10 Best Spicy Cod Fish Recipes | Yummly
Recipe From : yummly.com2021-06-10 · Spicy Cod Fish Recipes 114 Recipes. Last updated Jun 10, 2021. This search takes into account your taste preferences. 114 suggested recipes. Baked Cod Fish with Lemon and Capers Lord Byron's Kitchen. dried oregano, garlic, capers, salt, dried thyme, lemons, cod fish and 2 more. Coconut Lemongrass Thai Whitefish Soup Christopher James Clark. cilantro, shiitake mushrooms caps, snap … ... Show details
Baked Cod Recipe - Immaculate Bites
Recipe From : africanbites.com2019-03-04 · Dab both sides of cod fish dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper. In a small pan set over medium low, heat butter, minced garlic, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper … ...
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray baking pan with cooking spray or lightly oil. Set aside.
- In a small pan set over medium low, heat butter, minced garlic, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper and parsley or basil. Stir for about 30 seconds or 1 minute. Let this mixture sit for a little bit about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice to mixture.
- Brush cod fish with spice mixture, making sure every inch is covered with spice. Add to prepared baking dish or baking sheet.