serve with rice.
Time: 27 minutes
- remove the bone and skin from the meat and cut off excess fat
- cut the meat into 1x2 inch pieces and put them into a bowl
- combine all the ingredients , pour over the meat , and mix thoroughly
- cover and let the mixture stand for 2 hours or longer at room temperature to marinate and tenderize the meat
- this is very important for successful results
- drain the meat and pat dry each piece very thoroughly to prevent sputtering during cooking
- save the marinade for tenderizing roasts
- arrange the meat cubes on a skewer
- brush the filled skewers very generously with cooking oil
- place the skewers under the broiler close to strong heat
- turn the skewers every few minutes and baste frequently with cooking oil or with the fat that drips into the pan
- total broiling time will be about 12 minutes
- slip the meat off the skewers onto a hot plate and season with salt and pepper
- when steamed rice is used , place the shashlyk over it and garnish attractively
- serve at once
Number Of Ingredients: 10
- leg of lamb
- cooking oil
- dry red wine
- garlic clove
- bay leaf
Make and share this Ukrainian Shashlyk recipe from Food.com.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Olha7397
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
- Remove the bone and skin from the meat and cut off excess fat.
- Cut the meat into 1x2 inch pieces and put them into a bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients, pour over the meat, and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let the mixture stand for 2 hours or longer at room temperature to marinate and tenderize the meat.
- This is very important for successful results.
- Drain the meat and pat dry each piece very thoroughly to prevent sputtering during cooking.
- Save the marinade for tenderizing roasts.
- Arrange the meat cubes on a skewer.
- Brush the filled skewers very generously with cooking oil.
- Place the skewers under the broiler close to strong heat.
- Turn the skewers every few minutes and baste frequently with cooking oil or with the fat that drips into the pan.
- Total broiling time will be about 12 minutes.
- Slip the meat off the skewers onto a hot plate and season with salt and pepper.
- When steamed rice is used, place the shashlyk over it and garnish attractively.
- Serve at once.
Number Of Ingredients: 10
- 2 -3 lbs leg of lamb
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
RUSSIAN/GEORGIAN PORK SHASHLYK
I'd like to say this is a Russian recipe, but it's not really true. Shashlyk, a type of kebabs, came to Russia from the Caucasus, primarily from Georgia. But it's immensely popular all over Russia and is considered by my countrymen to be a quintessential "man's food", meaning, it should be prepared by men, who otherwise cook much less frequently than women do in Russia. As the hero of the Oscar-winning 1980 movie Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears says: "Shashlyk does not take women's hands". This is primarily because shaslyk in Russia is traditionally cooked in "mangals" - wood burning grills - during camps, open air parties, etc., where men dominate all elements of the show, from chopping the wood to cooking the meat. Every household in Russia will have their own recipe for shashlyk. Mine is developed via years of experimentation and is shown to produce good results even if you are not a dominating Russian male :) Shaslyk can be made of any meat, as well as from chicken and fish, but my favorite is pork shashlyk. If prepared correctly, it will produce the most succulent, juicy and tender pieces of meat. It MUST be cooked on a grill and ideally a wood or coal-burning version, as the smoky flavor is a quintessential element of shashlyk's taste. As for the meat, my favorite is fatty country ribs, but center loin roast or tenderloin will work too.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by Andrei_Utkin
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
- Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly using your hands. The marinade should cover most of the meat. If it doesn't, add more vinegar and pomegranate juice in a 50/50% proportion.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Thread pieces of meat onto wooden or metal skewers leaving at least 1/2 inch between the pieces. You can also alternate meat with onion rings, cherry tomatoes or other vegetables if you like.
- Grill for 15-20 minutes over hot ashes or charcoal (a gas grill will also produce acceptable results), turning skewers every five minutes and brushing the top with the marinade after each turn. Test for readiness by cutting through the meat - it must be medium-well to well done, very juicy and not overcooked.
- Serve with sliced tomatoes, peppers, raw onion rings, radishes and whole springs of parsley and cilantro.
- You will end up with a lot of leftover sliced onions from the marinade. It's delicious fried on a pan or grilled and may be served as a side for your shashlyk.
Number Of Ingredients: 6
- 4 lbs pork, cut into 2x2x2 inch cubes
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
You'll also love
More recipes about Ukrainian Shashlyk recipes
Pork Skewers (Shashlik) Recipe - NatashasKitchen.com
Recipe From : natashaskitchen.com2013-06-18 · Chop pork into 1 inch pieces and place them in a large bowl. Add sliced onion and press in the 4-5 cloves of garlic. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper … ...
- Chop pork into 1 inch pieces and place them in a large bowl. Add sliced onion and press in the 4-5 cloves of garlic.
shashlik | Ukrainian recipes
Recipe From : ukrainian-recipes.comMutton shashlyk Pieces of mutton thoroughly marinated with a lemon and pomegranate juice, garlic and bulb onion. The mutton is seasoned with a medley of exciting spices of red and black ground pepper, dried basil, thyme, and... ... Show details
Tender Beef Kebabs (Shashlik) Recipe - NatashasKitchen.com
Recipe From : natashaskitchen.com2014-06-11 · Ingredients for Beef Kebabs (Shashlik) 2 lbs good quality beef (I used top sirloin), cut into 1 1/2″ pieces 2 Bell peppers, any color, sliced into 1 1/2″ wide pieces 1 … ...
- Combine all of your marinade ingredients in a large glass or plastic bowl (do not use aluminum) and stir to combine.
- Slice meat and transfer it into the marinade bowl, stirring well to coat. Marinate beef in the refrigerate4 to 6 hours, stirring a few times while marinating to make sure meat is evenly marinated. Note: Sometimes after long periods of refrigeration, the oil in the marinade can firm up a bit; it will liquify again if you let the marinated meat sit at room temp 30 minutes before skewering.
- Soak bamboo or wooden skewers at last 30 min. After the meat is done marinating, slice veggies and skewer them with meat onto Bamboo skewers. Brush/ pour remaining marinade over skewers.
- Grill over med/high heat for about 8-10 minutes or until you've reached the desired doneness, rotating every 2-3 minutes for even grilling. Remove kebobs from grill and let them rest at least 5 minutes before eating. If you cut into them right away, they will juice out and end up dry. Serve with your favorite steak sauce
Eating shashlik in Ukraine | Grainews
Recipe From : grainews.ca2015-08-19 · It’s shashlik, a familiar food among descendants of Russian and East Ukrainian immigrants, also known here on the Canadian Prairies as shishliki. In the … ...
Shashlik - Authentic and Traditional Caucasian Recipe ...
Recipe From : 196flavors.com2013-08-06 · The main technique of shashlik (or shashlyk) is to marinate the meat in an acid liquid, typically based on vinegar, wine, lemon or other, for a few hours before grilling on a BBQ. The meat that is traditionally used is lamb but shashlik … ...
- Mix all the ingredients in a glass bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours and up to 24 hours.
- Divide the meat evenly among 4 skewers and grill on BBQ (preferably charcoal) for about 15 minutes, turning them occasionally.
Grilled Pork Shish Kabobs (Shashlik) - NatashasKitchen.com
Recipe From : natashaskitchen.com2018-05-22 · Instructions. In a large mixing bowl (or ziploc bag), combine chopped pork, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper and … ...
- In a large mixing bowl (or ziploc bag), combine chopped pork, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper and stir until well combined. Separate onion pieces and add them to the bowl. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and toss to combine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.
- Thread the kabobs onto metal skewers*, alternating between meat and onion. For even browning, the meat and onions should be just touching on the skewers and not crowded together. Let your skewers stay at room temperature for 30 minutes before placing on the grill.
- Preheat your grill to Medium/high heat (400˚F). Add skewers in a single layer and grill for 8-10 minutes total. Meat skewers turn like a triangle so we cook about 3 minutes per side on all 3 sides. Grill until cooked through and meat reaches at least 145˚F internal temperature. Rest skewers 3 minutes before serving.
Ukrainian Shashlyk - Recipe #17686 - Foodgeeks
Recipe From : foodgeeks.comUkrainian Shashlyk olga: Time. Ingredients. Ingredients. 2 to 3 lbs. leg of lamb: 1/2 cup : cooking oil: 1/2 cup : vinegar: 1/2 cup : water: 1/2 cup : dry red wine: 1 : lg. onion, chopped : 1 clove : garlic, crushed: 10 : peppercorns: 1/2 : bay leaf: 1/2 tsp. salt: Instructions. Remove the bone and skin from the meat and cut off excess fat. Cut the meat into 1x2 inch pieces and put them into a ... ... Show details
Mutton kebab | Ukrainian recipes
Recipe From : ukrainian-recipes.comMutton shashlyk Pieces of mutton thoroughly marinated with a lemon and pomegranate juice, garlic and bulb onion. The mutton is seasoned with a medley of exciting spices … ...
Ukrainian Meat On A Stick - The Rusnaks
Recipe From : rusnak.caPrepare bread crumbs mix: to every 2 cups of bread crumbs and 1 cup flour add ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. celery salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, 1½ tsp. sweet paprika, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder – mix together. Coat each Shashlyk - first in flour, then egg mixture, then bread crumb … ... Show details
Russian Shashlik Recipe (Video) - Peter's Food Adventures
Recipe From : petersfoodadventures.com2017-02-10 · Shashlik Marinade Ideas add 1 cup Sour Cream and 4 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar 4 tablespoons of white vinegar and 3 cloves of garlic ½ cup of … ...
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb, sliced onions, bay leaves, salt, oil and water. Using your hands, mix them all together set aside in the fridge to marinate overnight. If in a hurry then for minimum 4 hours.
- Thread the meat pieces onto metal skewers, about 6 per skewer, with any fat positioned towards the outside of the skewer.
- Prepare the mangal. Place charcoals in the mangal, and light and allow to burn for about 30 minutes, or until the charcoal is all white. You mangal is ready.
- Place the skewers on the mangal and cook until the meat is cooked. The length of time is determined by the heat and height from the charcoal. Don't burn your meat! Keep turning the shashlik as it cooks, so it doesn't burn. I like to add hot paprika spice directly on the skewer for a spicy kick.
The Off-grid Gourmand: Fire-roasted Shishliki — The ...
Recipe From : saskborder.com2015-05-13 · At its most basic, all you need is: Chicken thighs, boneless lamb shoulder or leg, or pork shoulder cut into 1 ½ inch cubes Large onions (most of the flavor comes from onions I find) Salt (seasoning salt is mighty fine) ...
Traditional Ukrainian Recipes & International Cuisine ...
Recipe From : ukrainianclassickitchen.caBrowse or search our collection of more than 1,000 Ukrainian recipes and over 6,000 international recipes from around the world, from holiday to everyday recipes. We have traditional Ukrainian recipes (food) like Varenyky (Perogies), Borshch, Paska, Babka, Kovbasa, Kolach, Kutia, and many more. Register today to become a member of this free forum and share your favourite recipes … ... Show details
Russian Style Shish Kebab Recipe! (Shashlik) - YouTube
Recipe From : youtube.comA very simple recipe for the Russian Kebab, Shashlik. This is the version enjoyed by the tribesmen in the Caucuses.Marinade Recipe:5 White onions finely min... ... Show details
Shashlik (Russian Shish Kebabs) | The Domestic Man
Recipe From : thedomesticman.com2012-06-19 · Shashlik (Шашлык) is a type of shish kebab commonly found in Russia and the former Soviet republics. It was likely brought to Moscow from Central Asia in the 19th century. Today, it’s a popular summer food … ...
Chicken Shashlik recipe || Easy Chicken Shashlik Recipe in ...
Recipe From : youtube.comচিকেন ১/২ কাপগাজরক্যাপসিক্যামপিয়াজচিকেন মেরিনেশন ... ... Show details
Authentic Shashlyk Recipe - YouTube
Recipe From : youtube.comShashlyk is a russian grilled pork on skewers. Here is an authentic recipe from my parents. My parents never measure any ingredients.. they just make the foo... ... Show details
Grilled chicken wings with vegetables | Ukrainian recipes
Recipe From : ukrainian-recipes.comMarinate the ingredients in a fridge for 2 hours. Skewer the ingredients on the spits in any sequence. Combine 2-3 tbsp of the marinade with 1-2 tbsp of sunflower oil and grease the chicken wings with the prepared mixture. Grill the shashlik for 15 minutes. ... Show details
Shashlik (Ukrainian-Style Shish Kebabs): The Easy Way (VIDEO)
Recipe From : innichkachef.com2020-08-24 · Shashlik (Ukrainian-Style Shish Kebabs): The Easy Way (VIDEO) Updated: Jan 6. Today is such an important day in my home country. It's our Independence Day. In 1991, after more than 70 years of the Soviet Union, Ukraine became an independent country. I always think about what would have happened if Ukraine didn't gain independence 29 years ago. In honor of such a special day, I … ...
shashlik skewers | Ukrainian recipes
Recipe From : ukrainian-recipes.comshashlik skewers | Ukrainian recipes | Home; About; Inside Ukraine; History of Ukrainian cuisine; Gallery; Contact Us; Tag Archives: shashlik skewers. Chicken and veggie skewers – Summertime delicacy. Whether you call it skewers or kebabs, food on sticks is always a popular crowd food. So if you are seeking a recipe for your next family get-together, then this one is just the option. I Read ... ... Show details
12 Traditional Ukrainian Dishes You Must Try
Recipe From : theculturetrip.com...
Mtsvadi (The Best Georgian Shashlik) - Lavender & Macarons
Recipe From : lavenderandmacarons.com2019-07-11 · In a bowl of food processor combine ¼ tsp of cumin, 3-4 cloves of garlic, 1 celery stalk, ½ cup of dill, ½ cup of cilantro, 1 medium avocado, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper to a taste and 1 tbsp of water. Process everything until smooth and serve with Shashlik… ...
- In a large bowl combine pork, onion, salt and pepper. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap or lid and marinate for 2 hours or overnight*. (See the note 2)
- In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients for the sauce and process until creamy. Serve immediately with Shashlik.
Traditional Ukrainian Food Challenge w/ Shashlik, Vareniki ...
Recipe From : youtube.comTraditional Ukrainian Food Challenge w/ Shashlik, Vareniki, and Borscht!!In late August 2019, my friends Christopher Lucido and Todd Konitzer traveled with m... ... Show details
Easy Shashlik/Shashlyk | Russian recipes, Shashlik recipes ...
Recipe From : pinterest.caJan 5, 2012 - Shashlik is a variety of skewered meat commonly eaten Russian and most other former Soviet states. It is traditionally prepared on a “mangal,” a box like fire pit, using charcoal or wood. The meat… Pinterest. Today. Explore. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe ... ... Show details
Traditional Ukrainian Piroshki Recipe - Egg and Rice Hand ...
Recipe From : thepuretaste.com2018-05-15 · Tips and Tricks for ukrainian piroshki recipe: This recipe yields 12 palm size hand pies. If it is not enough, double the recipe and use two trays for baking. How to Fold Your Bread Like a Pro is a helpful video illustration of my instructions in the recipe … ...
- Dissolve yeasts in warm milk. Set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes to wake them up. When the yeast mixture has bubbles on the surface add egg, sugar, and salt. Briefly whisk everything together.
- Roughly chop the boiled eggs. Chop all the herbs and scallions. Place eggs, rice, and herbs in the large bowl. Add melted butter, salt, and pepper. Mix everything.