BACON AND CARAMELIZED ONION MAC AND CHEESE
A hearty casserole for dinner! Enjoy this cheesy bacon and pasta dish that's topped with Progresso™ bread crumbs.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add onions to skillet; cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes, until tender and starting to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 35 to 40 minutes longer, stirring every 5 minutes, until onions are deep golden brown; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook and drain pasta as directed on package except omit salt. Spray 11x7-inch (2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Pour pasta into baking dish; keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, make cheese sauce. In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and mustard with wire whisk. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in caramelized onions and all remaining cheese sauce ingredients.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Pour cheese sauce over pasta in baking dish. Sprinkle with topping ingredients. Bake uncovered 10 minutes or until heated through (topping will not be brown).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 270, Carbohydrate 42 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Fat 1, Fiber 2 g, Protein 10 g, SaturatedFat 2 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 serving, Sodium 210 mg, Sugar 5 g, TransFat 0 g
MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND BACON
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add macaroni and cook for 8 minutes (noodles will still be slightly hard). Drain noodles and transfer to a large bowl with 1/4 cup of butter and toss to coat. Whisk together the sour cream, egg, and cream cheese; add to the pasta and mix well. Stir in 3 cups of grated Asiago and 3 cups of grated Cheddar cheese, reserving the remaining 2 cups of cheese for the topping.
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate and chop into small pieces.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Stir 2 tablespoons butter, the onion, and garlic into the bacon drippings in the pan and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the brown sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes until the onions are very soft and golden brown. Mix the cooked bacon, parsley, and panko breadcrumbs into the onions, transfer mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the heat and melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture is smooth and thickened. Stir in the ground mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Remove sauce from heat and let cool for five minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni mixture, stirring well. Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch pan and sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups of Cheddar cheese. Top cheese with the onion breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until bubbling, hot and golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 941.8 calories, Carbohydrate 56.6 g, Cholesterol 197 mg, Fat 59.5 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 45.6 g, SaturatedFat 36.3 g, Sodium 1475.4 mg, Sugar 7.2 g
BACON & CARAMELIZED ONION MAC AND CHEESE
Try this flavorful oven-baked Bacon & Caramelized Onion Mac and Cheese. This oven-baked Bacon & Caramelized Onion Mac and Cheese is delicious.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield 6 servings, 1 cup each
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tsp. drippings from skillet.
- Add onions to reserved drippings in skillet; cook on medium-low heat 17 to 20 min. or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare Dinner in large saucepan as directed on package.
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Crumble bacon. Add to prepared Dinner along with the onions and Cheese Sauce; mix well. Spoon into 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with Toasted Breadcrumbs.
- Bake 10 min. or until sauce is bubbling.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 240, Fat 9 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 630 mg, Carbohydrate 30 g, Fiber 0.9867 g, Sugar 3 g, Protein 11 g
MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH BACON AND ONIONS
- Follow the recipe for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese using Vermont white cheddar.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Add onions and thyme; saute until soft and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir bacon and onions into macaroni. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 41.5 calories, Carbohydrate 2.4 g, Cholesterol 6.7 mg, Fat 2.7 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 2.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 130.5 mg, Sugar 1.1 g
More about "bacon caramelized onion mac and cheese recipes"
MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND BACON ...
Cuisine AmericanCategory Main CourseServings 6Total Time 1 hr
- Heat saute pan on medium heat and melt butter. Add diced onion and set to low, cook the onion slowly until they are soft, translucent, and only slightly brown. You do not want these dark but more soft and tender to bring out the natural sweetness. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same saute pan, bring the heat back up to medium. Add diced bacon and saute until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
CARAMELIZED BACON GNOCCHI MAC & CHEESE RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
Servings 10Calories 310 per serving
- Sauté bacon and onion in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until onion is slightly softened. Add pear and honey. Continue cooking 15-16 minutes or until bacon is crisp and onion and pear are caramelized. Remove mixture from pan; drain on paper towel. Set aside. (Do not wipe skillet.)
- Add butter to same skillet. Cook over medium heat until sizzling. Add flour. Cook 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and half & half, stirring until combined and smooth. Add Deli American and Cheddar; cook until cheeses are melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in gnocchi and bacon mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and blue cheese in small bowl with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over gnocchi. Bake 22-25 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbling.
MAC 'N CHEESE WITH KALE, BACON, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, AND ...
Servings 4-6Total Time 25 mins
CARAMELIZED ONION BACON MAC AND CHEESE | TASTY KITCHEN: A ...
MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS | BETTER HOMES ...
5/5 (19)Calories 632 per servingTotal Time 1 hr 5 mins
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning once. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion in reserved bacon drippings for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to saucepan. Stir in the crumbled bacon, onions, 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the gruyere cheese, half-and half, and pepper. Toss gently to combine. Spoon into a 1-1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F ovenfor 20 minutes. Stir gently. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 minutes more or until top of casserole is brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH BACON AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS ...
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 929 per serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on high heat in a large skillet, when oil is heated, add sliced onions and cook on high heat for about 10 minutes, constantly stirring with spatula. The onions should start to brown, but without burning (a couple of onions may be burnt here and there, but overall they should not be charred).
- While you’re caramelizing the onions, cook bacon: I usually bake it in the oven at 350 F until it just turns crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels and chop into small pieces.
BACON AND CARAMELIZED ONION MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE ...
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hrCategory Side DishesCalories 487 per serving
- Fry the bacon until crisp, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Reserve about 1-1/2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the pan and discard the rest.
- Heat the bacon fat over medium-low heat and add the onion. Cover the pan and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring 3 or 4 times during the process.
- Remove the cover, raise the heat to medium and continue cooking until the onions are lightly caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Remove from the heat, add the reserved bacon and combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
GERMAN CHEESE SPAETZLE (KäSESPäTZLE) - THE DARING GOURMET
5/5 (31)Total Time 1 hrCategory Main CourseCalories 421 per serving
- To make the caramelized onions: Melt the butter in a medium-sized heavy stock pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions and stir occasionally for 20-30 minutes until deeply caramelized. Halfway into it sprinkle with a little salt and sugar to help with the caramelizing. Get the onions nice and brown.
- Layer 1/3 of the Spätzle in the bottom of the dish followed by 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the caramelized onions. Repeat, sprinkling each layer with some salt, ending with cheese and onions on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes or longer until the cheese is melted and the edges are just beginning to get a little crispy.Serve immediately. This makes great leftovers!
BACON, PEAR AND BLUE CHEESE MACARONI WITH CARAMELIZED ...
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 50 minsEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Begin by cooking the bacon. Grill them on a season cast iron skillet over medium heat until they just become crispy. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- To caramelize the onions, place them in the cast iron skillet with the bacon grease. Cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until they have turned light gold and are fragrant. Remove them from the pan and set them aside. Add the honey and pears and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the pear pieces deepen in hue slightly and the honey thins out, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the pasta according to package directions and set it aside. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. As soon as the butter is completely melted, whisk in the flour to form a paste. Add the milk and whisk constantly until the milk becomes hot but not boiling. Add the cheddar and blue cheese and stir until the cheese is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the cheese mixture, pasta, bacon, caramelized onions, and pears until the pasta is coated in the sauce and the toppings are evenly distributed. Empty the bowl into a large casserole dish and bake in the center rack of the oven for 25-35 minutes or until the pasta is just starting to get golden brown at the tips and sauce is nice and bubbly along the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
GRUYERE MAC AND CHEESE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS RECIPE
4.2/5 (97)Category Side Dishes
- 2. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and caramelized.
- 3. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, reducing the cooking time by 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- 4. In a large pot, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour, whisking until combined, and then cook for 1 minute. Add half the milk, whisking continuously until thickened, about 5 minutes and then repeat with the other half of the milk. Add the Gruyère, swiss, and all but 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan and stir until the cheese melts. Stir in the paprika, cayenne, nutmeg, mustard, and black pepper and salt to taste. Stir in the pasta and onions.
CARAMELIZED ONION, BACON, AND ARUGULA MAC AND CHEESE ...
Reviews 7Estimated Reading Time 5 minsServings 4Total Time 35 mins
- In a large cast iron skillet set over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until the onions start to turn a bit brown. Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onions are very soft and deep golden brown. Add the arugula and cook for about 2 minutes, or until it starts to wilt. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place a pot of water on the stove to boil for the pasta. Make sure to salt it very generously. Add the pasta and cook according the package instructions. Drain and immediately return the pasta to the pan.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the pasta, cover, and let it melt for a couple of minutes. Add the cheeses and cream, give it a good stir, and put the lid back on. Let it sit for a few minutes. When you come back and give it another stir, everything will melt together and create a nice cheesy sauce.
- Stir in the bacon, onions, and arugula. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
CARAMELIZED ONION AND BACON MAC AND CHEESE | SERVING TONIGHT
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory DinnerCalories 680 per serving
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the chopped bacon until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate then carefully drain off all but 2 TBS of the bacon fat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the sliced onions to the bacon fat in the pot. Season the onions with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown and caramelized. Add a splash of water as needed so the pan doesn’t dry out and the onions don’t burn. This should take about 30-40 minutes.
- While the onions are caramelizing, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente, according to the package instructions.
HAVARTI GRILLED CHEESE WITH BACON AND CARAMELIZED ONION ...
5/5 (15)Category Main Course, Snack
- Place one of the slices, mayo side down, on a clean plate or work surface. Spread mustard onto slice and top with one slice of Havarti and one slice of Emmental.
BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND ...
5/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory Appetizer, Side DishCalories 477 per serving
- Add the olive oil and onions to a saucepan over medium-high heat. I recommend using a saucepan instead of a skillet so that the heat from the pan can rise and assist in browning the onions.
BACON & CARAMELIZED ONION MAC N CHEESE - CAKE 'N KNIFE
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 10 minsEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
CARAMELIZED ONION AND WHITE CHEDDAR MAC RECIPE | REE ...
Author Ree DrummondSteps 6Difficulty Easy
BACON MAC AND CHEESE - THE COZY COOK
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hrCategory Main Course, Side DishCalories 681 per serving
PUMPKIN MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH BACON AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS
4.5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 50 minsCategory PastaCalories 649 per serving
AMAZING BACON MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH CARAMELIZED …
Reviews 28Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
CARAMELIZED ONION AND GOUDA MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE
4.5/5 (26)Total Time 1 hr 20 minsCategory Side Dish, Dinner, PastaCalories 1368 per serving
CARAMELIZED ONION AND WHITE CHEDDAR MAC BEST RECIPES
BACON & CARAMELIZED ONION JACK MAC & CHEESE RECIPE | …
MAC AND CHEESE WITH ONIONS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
BACON CARAMELIZED ONION MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook bacon and onions for Mac and cheese?Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Add onions and thyme; saute until soft and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir bacon and onions into macaroni.
How do you make creamy Mac and cheese with Vermont white cheddar?Follow the recipe for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese using Vermont white cheddar. Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Add onions and thyme; saute until soft and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
What are the best Mac and cheese recipes for adults?Macaroni and cheese with bacon and caramelized onions. The addition of caramelized onions makes this an adult version of a childhood favorite mac and cheese recipe. Mac and cheese brings up nostalgic memories in a lot of people, as it certainly was a favorite food for a lot of us growing up.
What is the best way to cook macaroni and cheese?Stir in the ground mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Remove sauce from heat and let cool for five minutes. Pour the sauce over the macaroni mixture, stirring well. Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch pan and sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups of Cheddar cheese. Top cheese with the onion breadcrumb mixture.