CREAMY AU GRATIN POTATOES
This is my husband's favorite dish, and he considers it a special occasion every time I make it. The creamy cheese sauce and the tender potatoes in this classic French dish combine to make a deliciously addictive experience. It's a great side dish with a roast pork loin or beef tenderloin. Add a green salad and French bread, and you have found the magic path to a man's heart. To avoid lumps in your sauce, add the milk just a little at a time as you stir the flour and butter. Experiment with different cheeses for variety.
Provided by CathyM
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a medium casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.
SIMPLE AU GRATIN POTATOES
These homemade au gratin potatoes are always welcome at our dinner table, and they're so simple to make. A perfect complement to ham, this homey potato gratin also goes well with pork, chicken and other entrees. -Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion., Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. If desired, top with additional pepper.
CHEDDAR POTATO GRATIN
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 3-quart glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir garlic in butter 1 minute. Stir in flour with whisk until smooth. Gradually add half-and-half and cream. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce is slightly thick. Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Slice potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- In large bowl, toss potatoes with cream sauce. Layer half of the potatoes in baking dish; top with green onions. Sprinkle with half each of the Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layers, using up potatoes and cheese.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cover and refrigerate any remaining potatoes.
SWEET POTATO GRATIN
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine cream, butter, and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat and mix in parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange 1/2 of the sweet potato slices in the prepared baking dish; cover with 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese. Pour cream mixture on top. Arrange remaining sweet potato slices over the cream. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
THE BEST CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES
What makes this the best out of all the scalloped potatoes recipes out there? I slice them extra thin and toss them in a rich, creamy cheese sauce. Then, to make them the best ever, I sprinkle homemade bread crumbs on top-they get nice and crispy in the oven. Make room for these at all your family get-togethers. -Aria Thornton, Taste of Home Prep Cook
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, mustard, salt and pepper; cook until onion is tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant. Whisk in flour; continue whisking 3-5 minutes., Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened slightly, 8-10 minutes. Gradually stir in 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese; stir in Monterey Jack cheese. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently., Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Top with bread crumbs; return to oven until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with chives.
THREE-CHEESE POTATO GRATIN
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and stir 1 minute. Add the cream, broth, rosemary, salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix all the grated cheeses together in a medium bowl.
- Mix the yams and potatoes together in a medium bowl.
- Arrange one-third of the potato mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with one-third of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layers twice more ending with a layer of the cheese mixture. Pour the cream mixture over the layers and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake the gratin until the potatoes are almost tender, about 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the potatoes are tender and golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let the gratin rest, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley, if using, and serve.
More about "best cheese for potato gratin recipes"
POTATOES AU GRATIN - ONCE UPON A CHEF
2019-11-12 · The best potatoes to use for au gratin potatoes are russets; they have the most starch and make the creamiest sauce. You may be tempted to cut calories by using half & half or milk in place of the cream. Please don’t! This is one of those recipes …
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Grease an 8-inch (or 2-quart) baking dish with butter.
- Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the potatoes, and then pour a quarter of the cream over the cheese. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cheese, and cream, forming 4 layers. Pour any leftover cream over top.
- Place in the oven and bake, uncovered, for about an hour, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife and golden brown on top. Let the dish settle on the counter for about ten minutes. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if using, and then serve.
POTATO, CHEESE AND ONION GRATIN RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
2009-02-28 · In a bowl, mix cheese with crème fraîche and chives. In a buttered 1-1.2-litre baking dish, layer the potatoes with chopped spring onions and the cheese mixture. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 50 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked. Remove the foil, sprinkle with a little more cheese …
3 CHEESE POTATOES AU GRATIN - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
2019-11-11 · Whether you call this recipe potato gratin, au gratin potatoes, scalloped potatoes or plain old potato bake, it’s a classic all over the world for a reason. Potatoes layered with cheese and garlic before being drowned in cream before baked until golden brown and bubbling is ALWAYS a good idea. My favorite version of this recipe is always simple. Cheese, potatoes…
THE VERY BEST POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE // VIDEO - THE ...
2020-11-23 · In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the cornstarch, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add the …
POTATOES AU GRATIN (DAUPHINOISE) | RECIPETIN EATS
2020-12-20 · Mix until combined. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Slice potatoes: Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8"/3 mm thick. Or use a slicer! Layer 1: Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish (Note 3), then pour over 1/3 of the Cream Mixture, scatter with 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle with 3/4 cups cheese.
See details »
HOMEMADE POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE | SELF PROCLAIMED FOODIE
2020-10-01 · The best Potatoes Au Gratin recipe combines thinly sliced potatoes and a creamy flavorful cheese sauce that gets baked to perfection with a crispy top.. There are a few things that set this recipe apart from the others. There's a trick to getting the most tender and best tasting potatoes …
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and add sliced onion. Stir to coat in butter and then allow to cook, undisturbed, until the onion starts to brown. Add the flour and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning. You want mixture to smell like a cooked pie crust. Add milk and whisk over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in roasted garlic, dry mustard, nutmeg, and cheese until melted.
- Place potato slices upright in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon cheese sauce over potatoes.
PERFECT POTATO GRATIN WITH FETA CHEESE - MY GREEK DISH
To prepare these amazing potato gratin recipe, finely chop the onion and garlic. Into a hot pan, add 2 tbsps of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic, until tender. Add the honey and oregano and stir. Set …
- To prepare these amazing potato gratin recipe, finely chop the onion and garlic. Into a hot pan, add 2 tbsps of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic, until tender. Add the honey and oregano and stir. Set aside.
- For the béchamel sauce, melt 2 tbsps of butter into a deep pan, over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to make a paste. Add the vegetable stock, whilst whisking and then pour in the cream, a little bit at a time, whilst whisking, to form a smooth cream. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Add the potatoes in the béchamel sauce and the spring onions and stir well. Spoon half of the potatoes mixture into the potato gratin dish in an even layer. Add the crumbled feta cheese and half of the onion mixture. Spoon the rest of the potatoes into the dish and even. Top with the rest of the onion mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake in preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove the foil the last 30 minutes, so that the potatoes are nicely coloured.
GOAT CHEESE POTATOES AU GRATIN - SAVOR THE BEST
2020-10-28 · Add 1/3 of the goat cheese crumbles over the layer and then pour 1/2 cup of the cream mixture on top. Repeat until you have three layers. Bake the potatoes au gratin: Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the potatoes …
- Spread the breadcrumbs out evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and place on the middle rack of the oven. Toast the bread crumbs to a light golden brown. Remove from the oven to the workspace, when cool transfer to a small dish and reserve.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F Coat a 2-quart oven-proof casserole dish with non-stick oil spray.
CHEESY POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
2012-02-23 · Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Advertisement. Step 2. Combine three cheeses in a large bowl. Sprinkle flour over and toss to coat. Arrange half of potatoes…
- Combine three cheeses in a large bowl. Sprinkle flour over and toss to coat. Arrange half of potatoes, overlapping, over bottom of baking dish. Season with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Dot with half of butter. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture on top. Cover with remaining potatoes and dot with remaining butter. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour over potatoes. Cover dish with foil and bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. (Don't worry if mixture looks curdled at this point.) Remove foil, sprinkle remaining cheese mixture on top and bake, uncovered, until potatoes are very tender and top is golden brown and bubbling, about 45 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
CLASSIC POTATO GRATIN WITH GRUYERE CHEESE - JUST A LITTLE ...
2016-01-20 · To layer the potatoes and cheese in the gratin dish, put down a layer of potatoes, then a layer of cheese, followed by two more layers of each. You will have three layers of potatoes each topped by a layer of cheese. Once that is done, remove the garlic from the steeped milk and pour the milk over the gratin. Cover the gratin with foil and bake for 1 hr 15 mins. Check the potatoes …
- Bring milk, garlic, thyme, sage, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once it boils, shut off the heat and let it steep while you make the rest of the gratin.
- If you prefer peeled potatoes in a gratin, peel them. Then slice your peeled or unpeeled potatoes very thin. I slice mine 2 mm thick on a mandoline. If yours are thicker, you will need to add more cooking time.
- To layer the potatoes and cheese in the gratin dish, put down a layer of potatoes, then a layer of cheese, followed by two more layers of each. You will have three layers of potatoes each topped by a layer of cheese. Once that is done, remove the garlic from the steeped milk and pour the milk over the gratin.
PERFECT AU GRATIN POTATOES - THE DARING GOURMET
2019-12-03 · Cover with aluminum foil and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender (time can vary depending on thickly the potatoes are sliced). Uncover …
- Melt the butter in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Simmer, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and stir to combine. Add the milk, cream and salt and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer and whisk until thickened. Whisk in the Cheddar and half of the Parmesan cheese. Whisk until melted. Stir in the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are soft. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
THE 14 BEST GRATIN RECIPES
- Cauliflower Gratin. Mix up your Sunday supper with this easy cauliflower gratin. Using vegetables instead of potatoes lightens up the casserole and makes it a delightful, low-carb option for your family.
- Green Vegetable Gratin. Get your kids to eat their vegetables with this cheesy, creamy green gratin. You can use almost any chopped veggies you want, but it tastes especially great with broccoli, spinach, and zucchini.
- German Potato Gratin. This German potato gratin is very simple, so don't skimp on the ingredients. Use Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes and a high-quality cheese such as Emmentaler or gruyere.
- Leek and Fontina Gratin. When baked, leeks will melt in your mouth, and this recipe pairs them with sharp fontina cheese for an elegant side dish. The gratin is easy but impressive, perfect for a dinner party or special occasion.
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin. Buttery bread crumbs and fontina cheese bring out the natural sweetness in baked Brussels sprouts. If your family isn't a fan of the little cabbages, make this gratin in individual ramekins and freeze.
- Vegan Potato Gratin. Yes, vegans can enjoy gratin potatoes, too! Nutritional yeast makes a rich, creamy sauce so you won't even miss the cheese. You can add vegan cheese if you prefer, but try the recipe without first—you'll be amazed by how great it tastes.
- Classic Spinach Gratin. If you've ever been to a classic steakhouse, you know creamed spinach is the perfect comfort-food side dish. Baking spinach in a gratin brings your table the same velvety texture with a crunchy breadcrumb topping.
- Haddock Gratin. Topping mild haddock with a mushroom cream sauce gives it a rich, decadent flavor. Breadcrumbs add a little crunch, and a sprinkle of cheese takes it all to the next level.
- Ham and Potatoes Gratin. Do you have leftover ham from a holiday dinner? Use it up in this simple and filling ham and potato gratin. Sharp cheddar cheese tastes great in this dish, but you can use another type if you prefer.
- Savory Sweet Potato Gratin. If you're sick of topping sweet potatoes with marshmallows or roasting them with pecans, try this gratin instead. Savory parmesan cheese contrasts with the sweet potatoes beautifully, and it makes a great side for a holiday meal or a simple weekday meal.
EASY AU GRATIN POTATOES RECIPE - THE SEASONED MOM
2021-03-11 · Layers of thinly-sliced potatoes, a creamy sauce and two different types of cheese make this the best Easy Au Gratin Potatoes recipe you'll ever taste! Your guests will love the combination of sharp cheddar and Gruyere cheeses with hints of garlic, thyme and nutmeg in a rich, smooth sauce. Best of all, the homemade au gratin potatoes …
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and cream; cook, whisking, until thickened, another 2 minutes or so. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg, half of the cheddar and half of the Gruyere. Whisk for about 1 more minute, making sure that all of the cheese is melted. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish. Season with a little bit of salt. Pour half of the sauce over top. Arrange the remaining potatoes on top, season with another pinch of salt, and pour the remaining sauce over all. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 50-60 minutes (or until the potatoes are just about tender), then uncover and bake until browned on top, an additional 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then serve.
EASY & BEST POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE • THE FRESH COOKY
2019-04-19 · Prepping Potato Gratin. Grease a 9x13x2 inch casserole dish (glass or ceramic preferred) with 1 tablespoon butter, set aside. I smoosh the butter in the dish using a paper towel to schmear evenly. Bring milk, cream, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper to …
FOUR CHEESE POTATO GRATIN - SUPERMAN COOKS
2020-12-03 · Place in large bowl and soak in cold water for 15 minutes. Strain from water. Transfer potatoes to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil for 7 minutes. Remove potatoes from heat and drain and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. In a separate large saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic cloves and cook for 2-3 minutes.
COPYCAT RUTH’S CHRIS POTATOES AU GRATIN | 12 TOMATOES
2021-08-10 · Stir in stock, cream, and potatoes and bring to a low simmer, but do not boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let cook until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed. Transfer mixture to baking dish, top with cheese and bake until bubbly and cheese has melted, 10-15 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley, if desired ...
See details »
BEST POTATOES AU GRATIN EVER! - SPEND WITH PENNIES
2018-11-13 · Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash potatoes and slice into ⅛ ' thin slices. Slice onion as thin as possible. Layer potatoes and onions in little stacks. Place stacks upright in a greased casserole dish. Melt butter & flour in a sauce pan and cook 2-3 minutes. Add seasonings and milk.
See details »
GRATIN POTATOES RECIPES RECIPES WITH INGREDIENTS ...
2020-10-01 · The best Potatoes Au Gratin recipe combines thinly sliced potatoes and a creamy flavorful cheese sauce that gets baked to perfection with a crispy top.. There are a few things that set this recipe apart from the others. There's a trick to getting the most tender and best tasting potatoes … Estimated Reading Time 5 mins. Melt butter in a sauce pan and add sliced onion. Stir to ...
See details »
10 BEST EVER POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE : POTATOES
2021-08-21 · This potato recipe is au gratin because we top the thinly sliced potatoes with an extra layer of cheese before baking, giving it a delicious cheesy crust! Many people confuse au gratin potatoes with scalloped potatoes, and for awhile so did I! STORING: Once baked, your Au Gratin Potatoes will stay good in an airtight container for 3-5 days in your refrigerator. .
See details »
10 BEST AU GRATIN POTATOES GRUYERE CHEESE RECIPES | YUMMLY
2021-09-10 · The Best Au Gratin Potatoes Gruyere Cheese Recipes on Yummly | Au Gratin Potatoes, Au Gratin Potatoes, Au Gratin Potatoes. ... Au Gratin Potatoes Gruyere Cheese Recipes 141,722 Recipes. Last updated Sep 10, 2021. This search takes into account your taste preferences . 141,722 suggested recipes. Au Gratin Potatoes Tidy Mom. paprika, minced garlic, diced onion, salt, …
See details »
THE VERY BEST POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE - YOUTUBE
Thinly sliced potatoes are combined with butter, cream and tons of cheese before being baked to a bubbly, golden perfection. Simple to prepare and fantastic ...
See details »
THE BEST CLASSIC POTATO GRATIN: CREAMY ON THE INSIDE AND ...
2018-08-10 · Some recipes insist that there's no place for cheese in a potato gratin—the cheesy flavor and creamy texture should entirely come from the milk proteins concentrating and browning. However, I like the brightness cheese brings to the dish. Too much cheese will break and become greasy, but a small amount of Parmesan adds a salty tang, while some Gruyere puts nuttiness into play. More ...
See details »