This recipe makes 21 large or 34 small cookies, depending on the amount of dough used. Stir the leftover berry puree (used to tint the icing) into your morning yogurt or oatmeal.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 21 large or 34 small
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flours, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 additions of buttermilk, beating until just combined (do not overmix). Refrigerate dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- Roll 1- or 1 1/2-tablespoon pieces of dough into balls; place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until bottoms turn golden, rotating sheets halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored at room temperature up to 1 day.
- Cook berries and remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring and crushing berries until soft and juices have been released. Pass mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible, and let cool completely.
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar, honey, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Transfer half of icing to another bowl, and whisk in 1 teaspoon more water. Divide remaining portion in half again, and stir 1/2 teaspoon berry puree into one part, and cocoa powder and 3/4 teaspoon water into other. Spread white icing on half of each cookieâ??s flat side and fruit or chocolate icing on other half. Let set 30 minutes before serving.
HALF MOON COOKIES (WHITE)
Growing up, there was a local bakery that made the best half-moon cookies. That bakery isn't in business any more, so now I have to make my own. Half Moon cookies bring back such great childhood memories for me. For frosting, use recipe #188454.
Provided by MsBindy
Categories Drop Cookies
Yield 30 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cream butter, shortening and sugars together.You can use all butter, or all shortening if you prefer, but the texture and shape will come out a little different.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Combine in dry ingredients and sour milk, alternating until mixed well.
- Drop from Tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet (About 1/8 cup is the right size) Your cookie sheet should not be warped, or else your cookies won't come out nice and round. Allow plenty of room for the cookies to spread. Start with 4 cookies to a sheet and then see if you can increase to fitting 6 cookies.
- Bake at 375 F for 12-15 minutes.
- Frost the BOTTOM of the cookies. Half with white frosting, half with chocolate frosting with frosting recipe #188454.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 146.6, Fat 5.7, SaturatedFat 2.1, Cholesterol 19, Sodium 143.2, Carbohydrate 21.8, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 10.7, Protein 2.2
THE ORIGINAL HEMSTROUGHT BAKERY HALF-MOON COOKIE
In NYC and elsewhere, they are known as "Black and Whites" or "half-and-half's". President Obama dubbed them "Unity Cookies". In Germany, where they are iced with either the vanilla or chocolate fondant only, they are called "Amerikaners"... Here in Central New York, we call them Half-Moon cookies and they are slightly...
Provided by Kelly Lollman
Number Of Ingredients 27
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 3. Put sugar, butter, cocoa and salt in bowl of mixer and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat. Add half the milk, then half the flour mixture, beating after each addition until smooth; repeat with remaining milk and flour mixture.
- 4. Spoon or pipe batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets, making 3'' rounds 2'' apart. Bake until cookies are set, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove from parchment.
- 5. Frosting - Chocolate: Melt chocolates and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water over medium heat. Add confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, salt and 6 tbsp. boiling water - mix to a smooth, stiff paste with a rubber spatula. Thin icing with up to 8 tbsp. more boiling water. Icing should fall from a spoon in thick ribbons. Keep warm in a double boiler over low heat.
- 6. Frosting - Vanilla: Put sugar, butter, shortening, milk, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Beat on low speed to mix, then increase to medium and beat until light and fluffy.
- 7. Using a metal spatula, spread about 1 tbsp. of warm fudge icing on half of the flat side of each cookie. Spread the other half of each cookie with 1 heaping tbsp. vanilla icing.
HALF MOON COOKIES
The potato flour makes a very tender crust. These are best eaten the same day they are baked, but prepare dough one day ahead. Ideally, pearl sugar should be used in the sugar/nut mixture for sprinkling. Pearl sugar can be bought at Scandinavian shops. If you can't find it, just use crushed sugar cubes.
Provided by J. Storm
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Sift the all-purpose flour, potato flour and white sugar together. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg and mix just until the dough begins to gather together. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Divide dough in half and soften at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Knead dough briefly to soften, adding more flour it too sticky to work with. Roll 1 piece of dough out between sheets of floured wax paper to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out rounds that are 2 1/2 inches across using a fluted cookie cutter or tart mold. Transfer cookies to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon preserves in center of each cookie. Gently fold half of cookie over preserves, covering 2/3 of bottom half of cookie (a little bit of the bottom layer of the cookie should be showing). Combine pearl sugar and nuts. Brush cookies lightly with beaten egg white. Sprinkle generously with nut mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes or until a pale golden color. Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer to rack and cool completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 185.4 calories, Carbohydrate 24.2 g, Cholesterol 29.1 mg, Fat 9.3 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 2.2 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, Sodium 61.9 mg, Sugar 8.7 g
HALF MOONS III
- In a very large bowl, cream together the lard and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the molasses and sour cream. Combine the cinnamon, allspice, cloves, baking soda, salt and flour. Stir dry ingredients into the molasses mixture until they are completely absorbed, then fold in the pecans. Cover dough and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out with a half moon cookie cutter or cut into circles, then cut the circles in half. Place cookies at least 1 inch apart onto unprepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 49.9 calories, Carbohydrate 7.7 g, Cholesterol 1.6 mg, Fat 1.9 g, Fiber 0.2 g, Protein 0.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.7 g, Sodium 12.7 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
HALF-MOON COOKIES (HEMSTROUGHT'S BAKERY) RECIPE - (4.3/5)
Provided by jbrockel
Number Of Ingredients 26
- Hello all. Here is the actual recipe for Hemstrought's half-moons. I used to work at Hemstrought's back in the 70s when the store was on Oriskany Circle. It's since been demolished to make way for the highway. Bob Hemstrought was a nice guy, though not sure if he's still around now. He was the head baker. So... here you go! We all know it's worth the effort! Enjoy! FOR THE COOKIES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside. Put sugar, margarine, cocoa, and salt in bowl of standing mixer and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat. Add half the milk, then half the flour mixture, beating after each addition until smooth; repeat with remaining milk and flour mixture. Spoon or pipe batter onto parchment-lined baking sheets, making 3-inch rounds 2-inches apart. Bake until cookies are set, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove from parchment. FOR THE FUDGE ICING: Melt bittersweet and semisweet chocolates and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water over medium heat. Add confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, salt, and 6 tbsp. boiling water and mix to a smooth, stiff paste with a rubber spatula. Thin icing with up to 8 tbsp. more boiling water. Icing should fall from a spoon in thick ribbons. Keep icing warm in a double boiler over low heat. FOR THE BUTTERCREAM ICING: Put sugar, butter, shortening, milk, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on low speed to mix, then increase to medium and beat until light and fluffy. TO FROST THE COOKIES: Using a metal spatula, spread about 1 tbsp. of warm fudge icing on half of the flat side of each cookie. Spread the other half of each cookie with 1 heaping tbsp. buttercream icing.
THE "ORIGINAL HALF MOON COOKIES"
Better than the ones you can get in a bakery just lke the originals in the north end of boston. The key to the recipe is the nutmeg and as weird as it seems the soured milk
Provided by Pumpkie
Categories Drop Cookies
Yield 10 large cookies
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cream together shortening and sugar and then add beaten egg and vanilla.
- sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- add alternately mixture of sifted flour ingreidents and the soured milk to the creamed shortening mixture batter should be thick drop by tablespoons (one on top of the other to give it height one unlevel on bottom one level on top) onto cookie trays bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown on bottoms.
- cool completely and frost one side with pure white frosting and the other with dark chocolate frosting you can make your own or used canned.
- If the batter comes out soupy or sticky I add additional flour
More about "best half moon cookie recipes"
UPSTATE NEW YORK'S ICONIC HALF-MOON COOKIE RECIPE
4.5/5 (130)Category Upstate New York Food And RecipesServings 30Total Time 35 mins
- Adjust the oven racks to lower-middle and upper-middle positions and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Beat the butter at medium speed for 30 seconds to loosen it up. Keeping the mixer running, gradually add the sugar, and cocoa powder and then gradually increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy about 3 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, vanilla. Beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds.
HALF MOON COOKIES RECIPE - MRFOOD.COM
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 3 minsCategory Cookies
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, oil, and eggs; mix well. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Frost half of the flat side of each cookie with vanilla frosting and the other half with chocolate frosting. Serve, or cover loosely until ready to serve.
HALF MOON COOKIES - WHAT'S COOKIN' ITALIAN STYLE CUISINE
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
THE BEST HALF MOON COOKIES RECIPE EVER! - EAT PICKS
5/5 (2)Total Time 26 minsCategory DessertCalories 458 per serving
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add room temperature butter, and sugar, and with a paddle attachment, mix at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
- At low speed, add ⅓ of the flour mixture, alternating with sour cream, scraping sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Give one more good stir to make sure everything in the bottom of the bowl is incorporated.
CHOCOLATE HALF MOON COOKIES RECIPE - ANDREA MEYERS
Reviews 79Category DessertCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 45 mins
BLACK AND WHITE COOKIES - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
4.7/5 (52)Category Cookies
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl and beat again as needed to combine. Reduce to low speed and add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream. Beat everything on low until combined and no pockets of flour remain. Batter is extremely thick.
- Using a greased 1/4-cup dry measuring cup, drop mounds of dough 4 inches apart on prepared baking sheets– 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
BLACK AND WHITE COOKIES - KING ARTHUR BAKING
4.2/5 (22)Total Time 1 hr 11 minsServings 24Calories 370 per serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets., To make the cookies: Beat together the butter, sugar, salt, baking powder, lemon, and vanilla till well combined., Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition., Stir in the flour alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Do this gently; there's no need to beat., Using a muffin scoop or a 1/4-cup measure, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets.
- With wet fingers, or the wet bottom of a measuring cup, flatten/spread the dough to a 3"-diameter circle.
- Leave 2" to 2 1/2" between each cookie; they'll spread., Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until they're set, and are perhaps a very light golden brown around the edges.
UPSTATE NEW YORK'S ICONIC HALF-MOON COOKIE RECIPE - PINTEREST
4.5/5 (129)Total Time 35 minsServings 30
MANDICROCKER: PUMPKIN HALF MOON COOKIES - BLOGGER
Author MandicrockerEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
CNY'S BEST HALF-MOON COOKIES: AND THE WINNERS ... - SYRACUSE
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
OLD-FASHIONED SOFT PUMPKIN COOKIES - LIBBY'S®
Total Time 28 mins
VANILLA HALF MOON COOKIES - HOME IN THE FINGER LAKES
Reviews 1Category Desserts And SweetsServings 18Total Time 52 mins
BLACK AND WHITE COOKIES (HALF MOON COOKIES ... - CAKEWHIZ
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hrCategory DessertPublished 2020-12-09
BEST COOKIE RECIPES | HALF MOON COOKIES, MOON COOKIES ...
WHITE HALF MOON COOKIES RECIPES
CENTRAL NEW YORK HALF-MOON COOKIE RECIPE - REDHEAD CAN ...
HALF MOON COOKIES | PANGNEGOSYO RECIPE | PANINDA SA BAKERY ...
HALF MOON COOKIES RECIPE - ALL RECIPES
THE BEST HALF MOON COOKIES - TFRECIPES.COM
HALF MOON COOKIES RECIPE ~ ANDREA MEYERS | RECIPE | HALF ...
THE BEST HALF MOON COOKIES - SHARE-RECIPES.NET
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make vanilla half moon cookies?How to Make Vanilla Half Moon Cookies. Step-by-Step. Preheat oven to 375'F. Cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add sour milk, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet, rounding off the tops to make a thick-like looking pancake.
What is the difference between black and white and half moon cookies?Where the Black & Whites have a thin shortbread-like cookie, Half-Moons have a pillowy, cakey devil’s food base. Black & Whites are glazed, Half-Moons are slathered with vanilla buttercream of one-half of the top and chocolate buttercream on the other, resulting in the half-moon appearance.
Where can I find a recipe for half moons?The vanilla half-moons is a Dunn family recipe that originated in 1928, while the recipe for the chocolate half-moons is from the Seitz side of the family--the former Seitz Bakery was located in Oneida--and dates back to the late 1800s. Address: 144 S. Peterboro St., Canastota.
What is a half and half cookie?Soft, moist cake-like cookies frosted in vanilla and chocolate icing. Also known as “half and half cookies” or “half moon cookies” or “Seinfeld black and white cookies.” These cookies have such a rich history that it has become a mainstay tradition in New York City for many years.