HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 858.2 calories, Carbohydrate 66.7 g, Cholesterol 141.6 mg, Fat 48.7 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 37.7 g, SaturatedFat 29.9 g, Sodium 879.3 mg, Sugar 10.7 g
BEST EVER MACARONI CHEESE RECIPE
This perfect baked macaroni cheese recipe comes with a creamy cheese sauce, a hint of mustard and uses leftover French stick for its crunchy topping
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Spread the baguette chunks over a baking sheet, drizzle with the melted butter and season. Bake for 6 mins until crisp, then set aside.
- Boil the pasta for 2 mins less than stated on the pack, then drain. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the garlic and English mustard powder, cook for 1 min, then stir in the plain flour.
- Cook for 1 min more, then gradually whisk in the milk until you have a lump-free sauce. Simmer for 5 mins, whisking all the time until thickened. Take off the heat, then stir in the cheddar and half the parmesan.
- Stir the pasta and some seasoning into the cheesy sauce. Tip into a large ovenproof dish, or four individual dishes.
- Scatter over the bread and the remaining parmesan, then bake for 20 mins until crisp and golden. Can be frozen before baking - defrost thoroughly before cooking.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 860 calories, Fat 42 grams fat, SaturatedFat 25 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 88 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 9 grams sugar, Protein 38 grams protein, Sodium 1.9 milligram of sodium
"WORLD'S BEST" MACARONI & CHEESE
We tasted this in Seattle at the Pike Place Market in the Beecher's store. It is the best! I had to get their recipe and I found it on the internet; It is a very rich creamy comfort food. I do not have Beecher's cheese so I improvised with what is available and it came out as tasty as the original. Serve this with a crisp salad. Enjoy!
Provided by Sageca
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat oven to 350; F. Set a large pot of water on high heat.
- Meanwhile, begin the sauce by making a roux: in a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Continue to stir this roux over medium heat for two to three minutes.
- The roux should be cooked and free of the flour flavor but still light in color.
- Gradually add milk, whisking briskly to maintain a smooth sauce.
- Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching.
- When sauce thickens, add cheeses, salt and spices to the sauce, and stir until all the cheese has melted. I make my sauces in the microwave; turns out great and never scorches.
- Somewhere during this sauce-cooking process, your pasta water has started boiling. The original is made with Penne noodles. Add a generous amount of salt to the water and cook the pasta until almost but not quite al dente (two minutes before the package directions indicate). You want barely undercooked pasta so that it can finish in the oven later. Halt the cooking by draining the pasta and rinsing with cold water. Return pasta to pot.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir until completely incorporated. The combination should be fairly saucy, almost soupy.
- Dish the mixture into a buttered 9-13 pan and sprinkle with extra grated cheeses and cayenne. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until you have beautiful, browned edges. Those edges will be a welcome and flavorful addition to each serving.
- Let the dish sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. I divided this in 2 containers and froze one.
BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE
- For the macaroni: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the salt and macaroni. Bring the water back to a boil and cook the macaroni until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain well.
- For the cheese sauce: Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan. Using a wire whisk, stir in the flour and salt, stirring and cooking over medium heat until the roux bubbles and the flour turns pale brown, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the milk and then whisk in the remaining 1 cup milk. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Add the drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly.
- For the topping: In a small bowl, stir the breadcrumbs with the butter until the crumbs are moistened.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the prepared baking dish and top with the buttered breadcrumbs. Bake until the dish bubbles around the edges, about 15 minutes.
CREAMY MACARONI AND CHEESE
This is the ultimate creamy mac and cheese recipe. It's saucy, thick and very rich, with a wonderful cheddar flavor. Once you taste it, you'll be hooked. -Cindy Hartley, Chesapeake, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. , Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in sour cream, Velveeta, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted. Add additional milk to reach desired consistency. , Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce. , Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 653 calories, Fat 46g fat (30g saturated fat), Cholesterol 143mg cholesterol, Sodium 1141mg sodium, Carbohydrate 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 25g protein.
THE BEST BAKED MAC & CHEESE RECIPE EVER
- Boil the pasta JUST until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and return to the pan you boiled it in. Set aside. (Mix in a little butter to keep the noodles from sticking if it's going to be awhile before you make the sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika. With a wooden spoon or whisk, stir constantly for three minutes.
- Add the milk in a thin stream, stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue to stir constantly until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups of the cheese, stirring until melted. You'll reserve the last cup of cheese for topping. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and toss gently until all of the pasta is coated.
- Add half the pasta to a two-quart casserole dish (I like a tall 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish). Sprinkle on half the cheese. Add the rest of the pasta. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese, then dust lightly with the smoked paprika.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the mac and cheese is bubbling and browning on top.
- Serve, topping individual servings with parsley or cooked, chopped bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 442 kcal, Sugar 7 g, Sodium 601 mg, Fat 22 g, SaturatedFat 13 g, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 23 g, Cholesterol 68 mg, ServingSize 1 serving
More about "best homemade macaroni and cheese recipes"
THE BEST HOMEMADE BAKED MAC AND CHEESE - MOM ON TIMEOUT
Ratings 287Calories 642 per servingCategory Dinner
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish and set aside.Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook the pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
OUR BEST MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES - TASTE OF HOME
Author Lacey Muszynski See details »
10 BEST BAKED MACARONI CHEESE RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
BEST 5 MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES | FN DISH - BEHIND-THE ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Mac and Cheese — The secret to Ina's tried-and-true macaroni and cheese (pictured above)? She opts for a duo of cheeses — Gruyere and extra-sharp cheddar — for the most-decadent flavor, and she tops the pasta with sliced tomatoes for added freshness.
- Stovetop Mac 'n' Cheese — Made with only a handful of ingredients, Alton's better-than-the-box recipe comes together in a hurry and guarantees a smooth, creamy sauce every time.
- Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese — Boasting all of the flavor of traditional chicken wings without any mess, Food Network Magazine's easy-to-prepare macaroni is made with cheddar cheese and a Buffalo-style hot sauce.
- Mac 'n' Cheese with Bacon and Cheese — Fresh thyme and crispy, salty bacon dress up Tyler Florence's big-batch baked casserole.
- Slow-Cooker Macaroni and Cheese — After combining noodles with milk, butter and cheese in the slow cooker, Trisha lets the machine do the work of preparing the dish for her.
THE BEST HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE | FOODIECRUSH.COM
4/5 (90)Total Time 50 minsCategory Side DishCalories 463 per serving
- In a deep bottom saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add mustard and flour. Whisk briskly for about 2 minutes to cook the flour. Pour in milk, whisking continuously to prevent any lumps. Keep whisking until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cheese until smooth and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta until just al dente. Drain the water and pour the pasta into the pot with the cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs
- In a preheated 350°F oven, bake for 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are toasted and the mac and cheese is bubbly. Top with chopped parsley if desired.
CREAMY BAKED MAC AND CHEESE (CONTEST-WINNING!) - THE ...
Category Main Course, Side DishCalories 665 per serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add dried pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package directs for al dente. Drain and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to keep from sticking.
- While water is coming up to a boil, grate cheeses and toss together to mix, then divide into three piles. Approximately 3 cups for the sauce, 1 1/2 cups for the inner layer, and 1 1/2 cups for the topping.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over MED heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Mixture will look like very wet sand. Cook for approximately 1 minute, whisking often. Slowly pour in about 2 cups or so of the milk/half and half, while whisking constantly, until smooth. Slowly pour in the remaining milk/half and half, while whisking constantly, until combined and smooth.
BEST MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MAC ...
5/5 (13)Category Main DishServings 6Total Time 30 mins See details »
*BEST* HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE – A COUPLE COOKS
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 30 minsCategory Main DishCalories 429 per serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add about 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Start tasting the pasta a few minutes before the package instructions and stop cooking once the pasta is just tender but still firm. Then drain the pasta in a colander and rinse it quickly with warm water.
- Grate the cheese (if necessary). Measure out the butter, flour, milk, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat; when it melts, stir in the flour. Heat the mixture for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Immediately when the color starts to turn light brown, reduce the heat to low. Start to add the milk very slowly: whisk constantly until the mixture is completely smooth, then add a bit more milk until it is fully incorporated, then repeat. Once all the milk is added, add the salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Continue cooking on low heat for about 2 minutes to thicken slightly, whisking frequently. After 2 minutes, gradually add the grated cheese and keep stirring until it is fully melted.
- Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce, then pour it into a dish and top with breadcrumbs. If you’d like, place it in a baking dish and broil it for 2 to 4 minutes until the crumbs are lightly browned, turning the pan to even out the browning as necessary. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop with a splash of milk and stir until creamy.
ULTIMATE CREAMY BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE - SEASONS AND ...
5/5 (54)Calories 508 per servingCategory Main Course
- Bring about 8 -10 cups of water to boil in a large pot on the stove-top, over high heat. Once boiling, add a generous sprinkling of salt to the pot and add the pasta. Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package, or to just al dente. Drain well and rinse with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking further. *While water is boiling and pasta is cooking, you can start your cheese sauce.
- For the cheese sauce: In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Very slowly add the milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly. Once all the milk has been added, cook, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens, about 8-10 minutes. (Don't rush this step! The mixture will not get super thick, but you will notice it thicken to the point where it will nicely coat the back of a spoon after 8-10 minutes of cooking and stirring.)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the crumbled/grated cheese, salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir until the cheese is melted and all the ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes. (If the cheese isn't melted completely after about 3 minutes, you can put the pan back on low heat and stir until it is melted). Set aside for a minute while you wait for the pasta to cook.
BEST-EVER MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium. Add next 6 ingredients; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add flour, and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, whisking, until slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup each of shredded Cheddar cheeses until melted. (Reserve remaining 1/4 cup each of shredded cheeses.) Stir in pasta and diced cheeses; pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch (3-quart) baking dish.
- Bake on a rimmed baking sheet in preheated oven until bubbly and golden, 30 minutes. Remove from oven; increase oven temperature to broil. Sprinkle with reserved shredded cheeses; broil 6 inches from heat until cheeses are melted and golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven; cool slightly on a wire rack, about 15 minutes.
BEST MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE (ULTRA CHEESY!) - THE CHEESE KNEES
4.9/5 (14)Calories 474 per servingCategory Pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the uncooked macaroni noodles and salt to the water and stir.
30 FAMILY-PLEASING MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES
- Macaroni and Cheese With Bacon. Green onions and a dash of garlic powder flavor this macaroni and cheese with bacon. The dish is baked to perfection with a buttered bread crumb topping.
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese. If you have a cheesy craving and want it fast, this Instant Pot mac and cheese is the way to go. Just cook the macaroni in the pot (3 to 4 minutes!)
- Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese. This classic baked macaroni and cheese is a fabulous dish to serve as a side dish or main dish. This mac and cheese is topped with buttery bread crumbs and is an excellent choice for any meal or occasion.
- Macaroni and Cheese Casserole. This macaroni and cheese casserole is a simple, homey recipe that lends itself to many possible variations. Ingredients include cheddar cheese, butter, eggs, and milk, and there's no sauce to make.
- Easy Gnocchi Mac and Cheese. The potato dumplings in this gnocchi mac and cheese recipe are homemade, but the cheese sauce comes from a store-bought package of mac and cheese (save the macaroni for another occasion).
- Avocado Mac and Cheese. Next time you turn to this comfort-food classic, consider replacing most of the cheese with avocado as in this avocado mac and cheese recipe.
- Truffled Mac and Cheese. Looking to take your mac and cheese to the next level? Try this delicious truffled mac and cheese. It can take a mundane dish and make it elegant and rich.
- Macaroni and Cheese Croquettes. Have some extra macaroni and cheese leftover? Usually, no, but these macaroni and cheese croquettes will inspire you to make an extra batch just so you can enjoy these the day after.
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese. Give your mac and cheese a taste of Buffalo chicken wings with this fun recipe. Shredded chicken is cooked with a spicy sauce, while the cheese sauce includes a little hot sauce of its own, along with pepper jack.
- Jalapeño Macaroni and Cheese. If you're looking to spice things up, try this jalapeño macaroni and cheese, try adding jalapeño peppers. They provide a little bite and will transform your baked macaroni and cheese.
72 BEST MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES | MAC AND CHEESE ...
See details »
MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
BEST BAKED MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE - THE MIDWEST KITCHEN BLOG
See details »
BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
THE BEST MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE EVER | SIMPLY MAKE MAC'N ...
See details »
BEST HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
15 BEST EASY VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE IDEAS - FOOD NEWS
See details »
MACARONI CHEESE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
See details »
ULTIMATE MACARONI AND CHEESE | CANADIAN LIVING
See details »
15 BEST MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
OUR 10 BEST MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
See details »
You'll also love