ENDIVE GRATIN WITH HAM AND GRUYERE CHEESE
Provided by Amy Finley
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Special Equipment: Steaming basket
- Serving Suggestion: French baguette, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pot fitted with a steaming basket, bring 1-inch of water to a boil. Place the endives in the basket, cover, and let cook until very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a colander and let drain, pushing down on the endives with a clean kitchen towel until as much of the water as possible has been expelled. Do not mush the endives!
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. When the foam has subsided, add the endives and cook, turning occasionally, until brown and caramelized on all surfaces. Remove from heat and wrap each endive in 1 slice of the ham. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. When the foam has subsided whisk in the flour and cook 1 minute, being careful not to brown the flour. Whisk in the milk in a slow, steady stream. Bring to a boil whisking constantly, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes. Season with a generous amount of pepper and the nutmeg.
- Spread about 1 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch flameproof ceramic baking dish, then arrange the ham-wrapped endives on top in a single layer. Cover with the remaining sauce and the cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Turn on the broiler, transfer the pan to the top rack, and broil until the cheese has patches of golden goodness - about 2 minutes. Serve hot with generous amounts of sauce and baguette slices.
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE
My grandmother passed this recipe down to my mom and she then passed it on to me. It's a casserole of pure comfort. First, bitter endive is simmered until sweet, then wrapped in savory ham and smothered with a creamy nutmeg béchamel. Gruyère tops it off before it's baked until bubbly and golden.
Provided by Jean Georges Vongerichten
Categories Cheese Leafy Green Vegetable Side Bake Braise Dinner Meat Ham Winter Endive Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free Cheese Week
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 13
- To cook the endive, combine the butter, sugar, salt, and 10 1/2 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Add the endive, cover, and cook until very tender, about 45 minutes. A knife should be able to pierce through with no resistance. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the endive to paper towels. Reserve 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the endive.
- Wrap each endive with slices of ham. Arrange the endive in a shallow baking dish that holds them snugly; you don't want any space between the endive.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the béchamel, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until golden. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture smells nutty, about 2 minutes. Continue whisking and add the milk, then the reserved endive cooking liquid in a slow, steady stream. Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking. Continue whisking until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour the béchamel over the endive and spread to cover them evenly. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Set the dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. If you want the top more browned and crusty, broil for a minute or two after baking. Serve hot.
BELGIAN ENDIVE AU GRATIN
Belgian endive (called 'witloof' in Dutch or 'chicon' in Belgian French) has an ivory-white head with pale yellow-edged, closely wrapped leaves, a mildly bitter flavor, and tender juicy texture.
Provided by gaidgin
Categories Side Dish Vegetables Greens
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Place the endives into the water. Cover, and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place the butter into a saucepan, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and golden brown. Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper until well blended. Cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Preheat an oven broiler to low.
- Drain the endives. Wrap each endive with a slice of ham, and place into the prepared baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the endives. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese and parsley.
- Cook the endives under preheated broiler until cheese is golden brown and sauce bubbles, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 206.6 calories, Carbohydrate 20.4 g, Cholesterol 28.7 mg, Fat 10.1 g, Fiber 16 g, Protein 12.8 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 210.4 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
BELGIAN ENDIVE AND HAM CASSEROLE
This is one of my favourite vegetable recipes. It is a real indulgence, and one I usually use for special occasions. It originates from The Netherlands, and is a family recipe. It is so good! A tasty way to serve Belgian Endive, or "witlof".
Provided by Hag chef
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the ends from the endives.
- Cook the endives in boiling salted water for 10- 12 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Drain well.
- When cool enough to handle, wrap each one with a slice of ham and place them in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the butter until bubbly, and add the flour.
- Cook, stirring for a minute until it is well blended.
- Add the milk, and whisk smooth.
- Turn the heat down.
- Stir in the grated cheese, and add the salt and pepper and pinch of cayenne pepper, and simmer for another minute.
- Pour the sauce over the endives, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
CHICORY/WITLOF WITH GRUYERE AND HAM
I love the distinctive tastes of gruyere cheese, chicory and ham together and regularly make this in the winter as a main course to warm everyone up from top to toe when the rain is lashing down outside and they come in from the cold, ... hearty comfort food :) Gruyere cheese gives this recipe a flavour all of its own. Enjoy!
Provided by kiwidutch
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Clean chicory heads, remove outer leaves and cut off about 1 cm from the thick end of the chicory.
- Fill a large pot with water and add lemon, butter and salt, add chicory and boil for about 20-30 minutes or until tender (cooking time depends on the size of the chicories) Once cooked, drain really well (or all the excess water will leak out later and make your cheese sauce very very thin).
- Take 2 slices of ham and arrange them slightly overlapping on a cutting board, using tongs, place a chicory in the middle, sprinkle a small amount of the grated gruyere on and roll it up. (when I make this as a main course I personally use 3 slices of ham for each chicory, but that's just personal preference).
- Place the ham rolled chicory in an ovenproof dish.
- To make the cheese sauce:.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, take off the heat and add the flour, using a whisk to blend it into a smooth paste with the cream and then add the milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Return the sauce to the heat to cook and thicken, whisking constantly. Don't worry if it looks overly thick, no matter how much water you get out of the chicory there will still be some left in there somewhere to make your sauce a little bit thinner.
- Lastly, add the rest of the grated Gruyere to the sauce (and Sbrinz cheese if you are using that too) stir, and then pour the sauce over the ham rolled chicorys.
- Put into a preheated oven at 220 C (425 F) for 10-20 minutes and serve hot.
- Serve with any pasta type that will coat with the sauce well.
- NOTE: I sometimes replace the cream with a soya product that we have here called "soya cusine" if you are watching your intake of dairy products, cholesterol etc then this is a healthier option and doesn't effect the taste of the dish at all.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 624.9, Fat 50.7, SaturatedFat 31, Cholesterol 169.5, Sodium 334.7, Carbohydrate 20.4, Fiber 0.5, Sugar 0.6, Protein 23.2
GRATIN OF ENDIVE AND HAM
Categories Milk/Cream Appetizer Bake Ham Swiss Cheese Endive Bon Appétit Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free No Sugar Added
Yield Makes 8 (first-course) or 4 (main-course) servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Bring broth to simmer in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add endive and simmer uncovered until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Place on paper towels and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 11x7-inch glass baking dish. Roll each endive in ham slice to enclose. Arrange rolls in prepared dish. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute. Add milk, cream, mustard, and nutmeg and bring to boil, whisking constantly. Boil sauce 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over rolls. Sprinkle Swiss cheese evenly over. Bake until sauce is bubbling all over and cheese begins to brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
More about "braised endive with ham and gruyre recipes"
ENDIVE AND HAM GRATIN - DAVID LEBOVITZ
Servings 2Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE - RECIPE - STEFANO FAITA
ENDIVE AND HAM GRATIN | RICARDO
4/5 (16)Category AppetizersServings 4Total Time 55 mins
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter with the garlic. Sprinkle with the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the cheese and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYERE FROM JEAN-GEORGES ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS ...
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE | RECIPE | BRAISED ...
BRAISED ENDIVE RECIPES
E.A.T.: BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE | BRAISED ...
BELGIAN ENDIVE AND HAM GRATIN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE - MEAL PLANNER PRO
EATDRINKGARDEN - IIS WINDOWS SERVER
WELCOME TO SAVEMORE FOOD STORES ARUBA - RECIPE
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE - PLAIN.RECIPES
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYERE
BRAISED ENDIVE, HAM GRUYERE – BRUNO ALBOUZE - YOUTUBE
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYERE
BRAISED ENDIVE WITH HAM AND GRUYèRE RECIPE | …
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love