GRAMMA'S DATE SQUARES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pastry flour, salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and baking soda. Mix in the butter until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch square baking pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the dates, water, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Bring to a boil, and cook until thickened. Stir in lemon juice, and remove from heat. Spread the filling over the base, and pat the remaining crumb mixture on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in preheated oven, or until top is lightly toasted. Cool before cutting into squares.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 363.1 calories, Carbohydrate 63.7 g, Cholesterol 30.5 mg, Fat 12.5 g, Fiber 5.3 g, Protein 3.7 g, SaturatedFat 7.4 g, Sodium 217.4 mg, Sugar 41.8 g
BROWN SUGAR DATE SQUARES
"I've used this recipe for years," shares Suzanne Caithamer of Walton, Kentucky. "It's a wonderful addition to care packages and holiday cookie exchanges. Even people who don't like dates love them!" You can cut larger squares and add a scoop of ice cream to serve as a dessert.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates, brown sugar and orange juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened and dates are tender, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla., In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread with date mixture. , Stir walnuts into remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle over filling; press down gently. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 251 calories, Fat 10g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 20mg cholesterol, Sodium 110mg sodium, Carbohydrate 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
OLD FASHIONED DIABETIC DATE SQUARES
Here is a great recipe for those to use lower sugars and still taste fantastic.Its a simple basic recipe but a real hit,if you like date squares.Once the Family tries them they will be asking for them on a constant demand.Has all the taste of regular sugared squares as well
Provided by Chef Reg Jones
Yield 25 squares, 25 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour,baking powder,baking soda,and salt.
- Rub in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add sugar and oats.
- Mix well.
- Spread half of crumb mixture into 9"x9" greased baking pan,patting mixture until firm and smooth.
- Cook dates,with water,orange rind ,orange juice,lemon and sugar in a saucepan till smooth and thick.
- Cool mixture.
- Add to bottom layer of oat mixture.
- Add remaining oats to top of dates.
- Spread out evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool and cut into squares to your liking.
- Enjoy these great Date squares.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-8-by-2-inch baking pan, and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking soda. Add butter, and blend with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer two-thirds of the crumb mixture into prepared pan, and press into bottom and up sides. Spread date paste over bottom layer of the dough. Cover with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Invert onto a plate, then back onto a cutting board. Cut into 2-inch squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
EASY DATE SQUARES
My MIL's easy, no fail date squares...Make an extra batch of the date jam its good on its own...over bagels or toast. If your date jam is a little thick. Add a little extra water to thin it out, until it is the consistency that you like. Becareful not to make it too thin.
Provided by Baby Kato
Categories Bar Cookie
Yield 3 doz, 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Date Jam
- Combine dates, sugar, water and vanilla in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes, until mixture resembles a thick paste.
- Cool completely
- Oatmeal Layer
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, nuts and salt in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Reserve 2 cups of this mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture into bottom of greased 9 x 9" pan.
- Spread cooled date jam over the bottom layer and sprinkle reserved oatmeal mixture evenly over top.
- Bake 25- 33 minute.
- Cool completely then cut into squares.
More about "brown sugar date squares recipes"
DATE SQUARES (THE BEST) | RICARDO
5/5 (428)Total Time 1 hr 25 minsCategory Desserts
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Line a 20-cm (8-inch) square baking dish with a strip of parchment paper, letting it hang over both sides. Butter the other two sides.
- In a pot, bring the dates, water, lemon juice, and brown sugar to a boil. Add the baking soda and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, or until the dates have fallen apart. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, and baking powder. Add the butter and stir to combine.
SUGARED DATE SQUARES - THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
Servings 60-72Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
BROWN SUGAR SQUARES — BAKING WITH JOSH & ANGE
HOW TO MAKE DATE SQUARES (NEWFOUNDLAND DATE CRUMBLES) SO …
DATE SQUARES - JO COOKS
DATE SQUARES - A CANADIAN TRADITION - THE DELICIOUS SPOON
BROWN SUGAR DATE AND WALNUT BARS – SUGARY LOGIC
DATE SQUARES - BUSY BUT HEALTHY
BEST GRANDMA MORRISSEY’S DATE SQUARES RECIPES - FOOD …
DATE SQUARES EXTRA-THICK CLASSIC RECIPE - CANADIAN …
BROWN SUGAR DATE SQUARES RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
OLD-FASHIONED DATE SQUARES - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
10 BEST DATE SQUARES NO SUGAR RECIPES | YUMMLY
BROWN SUGAR DATE SQUARES | RECIPE | SQUARE RECIPES, DATE SQUARES ...
OLD-FASHIONED DATE SQUARES RECIPE | CHATELAINE
DATE SQUARES | METRO
BROWN SUGAR DATE SQUARES RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT | TASTE OF HOME
DATE SQUARES - JUST SO TASTY
DATE NUT BARS RECIPE WITH BROWN SUGAR & WALNUTS - NOURISH AND …
DATE SQUARES: A CLASSIC RECIPE - SHE LOVES BISCOTTI
DATE SQUARES RECIPE | THEHUB FROM WALMART CANADA
BEST DATE SQUARES EVER RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
DATE SQUARES | A TASTE OF MADNESS
TRADITIONAL NEWFOUNDLAND DATE SQUARES - BONITA'S KITCHEN
DATE SQUARES | CANADIAN LIVING
DATE SQUARES: A CLASSIC RECIPE THAT YOU'LL LOVE - ANDIANNE
BEST DATE SQUARES RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
BROWN SUGAR DATE SQUARES - ANTIPASTI RECIPES
BROWN SUGAR DATE SQUARES RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - FOOD NEWS
BROWN SUGAR DATE SQUARES – KAY'S RECIPES
DATE OATMEAL SQUARES RECIPE - THE COOKING FOODIE
DATE SQUARES | KING ARTHUR BAKING
OLD-FASHIONED DATE SQUARES RECIPE | CHATELAINE | RECIPE | DESSERTS ...
THE BEST DAMN DATE SQUARES YOUR GRANDMA’S EVER HAD
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make delicious date squares?Delicious date squares are a simple blend of brown sugar, oats, butter and sweet dates — a comforting treat for a cozy winter afternoon. If there's a baked-goods equivalent to a hug, this is it. PREHEAT oven to 350F. Lightly spray an 8-in. square glass or metal baking pan with oil and line with overhanging parchment.
Is there sugar in date squares?This healthier recipe uses oats and unrefined flour, and contains no refined sugar. I have a slight sweet tooth, and sometimes you just want a dessert that is just not chock full of sugar. On a cold winter day, these date squares are the perfect warm and healthier treat.
What are date squares made of?Date squares are a blend of oats, brown sugar, butter and sweet dates. They are a classic recipe that many of us remember from when we were young. Whether it was from the bakery around the corner, or fresh out of grandma’s oven. You’ll love this date square recipe tradition four your own family! What are Medjool Dates?
How do you make date squares with oats?Add to bottom layer of oat mixture. Add remaining oats to top of dates. Spread out evenly. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and cut into squares to your liking. Enjoy these great Date squares.