POTATO BACON CLAM CHOWDER
A white, cream-based chowder, this recipe adds more then the usual ingredients. I added skin-on red potatoes, spinach leaves, mushrooms, and bacon for both flavor and texture. I don't always measure exactly, more of an eye for ingredients as I go along. Feel free to experiment.
Provided by Nichol
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Place bacon in a large, heavy saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour bacon drippings into bowl and reserve.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the same saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onions in hot butter until soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Add potatoes, 1/2 the bottle of clam juice, celery, carrots, mushrooms, 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk flour into melted butter until smooth. Whisk milk, half-and-half, and cream into flour mixture until smooth and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir vegetable mixture, remaining clam juice, bay leaves, thyme, and dill into cream mixture. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are tender and chowder is hot, 15 minutes.
- Stir minced clams, spinach leaves, and reserved bacon drippings into chowder. Cook until clams are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with cooked bacon.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1059.3 calories, Carbohydrate 57.6 g, Cholesterol 287.5 mg, Fat 74.1 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 42.4 g, SaturatedFat 43.9 g, Sodium 1358.1 mg, Sugar 7.8 g
NEW ENGLAND CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER WITH HERBS
- Cook bacon in large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour out all but 3 tablespoons drippings from pan. Add next 4 ingredients to pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over; stir 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add milk to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and cook until slightly thickened, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, clams with juice, and drained corn. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among bowls, sprinkle with bacon and parsley, and serve.
CREAMY CLAM CORN CHOWDER
Hearty, warming, comfort food! I got the idea to make this soup from my DF Hope. It has clams, corn, potatoes, leeks, onions & red peppers. Very easy to make.
Provided by Rita1652
Yield 1 pot full
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat oil and butter, sauté onion, leeks, garlic, celery, potato and peppers till translucent.
- Add canned corns juice from canned clams and jar clam juice.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Add clams season to your taste with salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning.
- Simmer till warmed.
- Serve with crusty French or rye bread!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 2773.2, Fat 103.2, SaturatedFat 51.1, Cholesterol 395.6, Sodium 3935.8, Carbohydrate 393.3, Fiber 37.4, Sugar 61.4, Protein 115
CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER
- Sauté onion in butter until soft.
- Combine other ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 274.7, Fat 11.5, SaturatedFat 6.8, Cholesterol 47.1, Sodium 761.5, Carbohydrate 33.1, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 5, Protein 13.5
CORN AND CLAM CHOWDER
- If fresh corn on the cob is used, cut each ear crosswise into thirds. Set aside.
- Rinse the clams well and put them in a kettle.
- Cut the carrot lengthwise in half. Cut each half crosswise into thin slices. There should be about one cup. Add this to the clams.
- Coarsely chop the celery. There should be about one cup. Add this to the clams.
- Coarsely chop the onion. There should be about one and one-half cups. Add the onion, thyme and wine to the clams.
- Put the kettle over high heat and cover closely with a lid. Bring to the boil and cook until the clams open, about three minutes.
- Line another kettle with a sieve and line the sieve with cheesecloth. Or use a sieve of the sort known in French kitchens as a chinois.
- Pour the clams, vegetables and liquid into the sieve. There should be about two and one-half cups of liquid. Add the chicken broth to the clam liquid and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, remove the meat from the clams and set aside. Unless the meat pieces are small, cut the pieces in half. Discard the shells.
- Add the strained vegetables to the clam and chicken broth. If corn on the cob is used, add it to the kettle and cook about five minutes and add four cups of the cream. Bring to the boil. Add salt and pepper and let simmer about 20 minutes.
- If corn on the cob has been used, remove the pieces of corn from the kettle, using a pair of tongs. When the pieces of corn are cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs. There should be about five cups. Add this or the canned or frozen corn to the kettle. Pour the mixture, one portion at a time, into the container of a food processor or, preferably, an electric blender and blend. Combine the blended soup in a kettle and add one tablespoon of the lime juice, salt and pepper. There should be about 16 cups of soup. Add the meat from the clams.
- Bring the soup to the boil and swirl in the butter.
- Chop the peppers coarsely. There should be about three tablespoons. Put the peppers in the container of an electric blender. Add the remaining lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt and pepper. Blend as finely as possible. This is to be used as a garnish for the soup.
- Whip the remaining one cup of cream and add the blended pepper and lime juice mixture. Blend well.
- Serve the hot soup in 12 individual bowls and top each serving with an equal portion of the whipped cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 582, UnsaturatedFat 16 grams, Carbohydrate 28 grams, Fat 44 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 16 grams, SaturatedFat 26 grams, Sodium 1168 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER
- Cook bacon in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over medium heat, stirring, until slightly browned but not crisp. Chop white and pale green parts of scallions (reserve greens) and add to bacon along with 1 tablespoon butter. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in corn, potatoes, clam juice, water, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a rolling boil, uncovered. Add clams and return to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until clams are just opened wide, 5 to 8 minutes (discard any clams that remain unopened after 8 minutes).
- Chop 1/2 cup scallion greens and add to chowder along with milk, cream, and remaining tablespoon butter. Cook, stirring, until heated through (do not let boil). Season with salt and pepper.
CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over moderate heat. Saute the onions for 10 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, corn and potatoes and saute 2 minutes longer. Pour in the clam juice. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the white wine to a boil in a large saucepan and reduce by one-third. Add the clams, cover and steam, shaking the pan occasionally, until the clams open up, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and discard any that do not open. Remove the cover and let the clams cool in the pot. When cool enough to handle, separate the meat from the shells, reserving the juice, and chop the clams. Set aside. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- Add the tomato, red pepper and jalapeno to the soup pot and cook over low heat an additional 10 minutes. Strain the reserved cooking juices and clam juice through a fine kitchen towel or coffee filter into the soup. Add the chopped clams and cook 10 more minutes. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice and pepper. Taste for salt, since the clams may be salty, and serve steaming hot.
More about "clam and corn chowder recipes"
CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER | CHEF SHEILLA | THE SOULFUL KITCHEN ...
Cuisine American, French, ItalianCategory Appetizer, SoupServings 8Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Put the water, onions and clams in a large pot. Bring it to boil over medium heat. Once the clams are opened (disregard the ones that did not open), drain them. Reserve the broth and set aside. Let the clams cool slightly, then pull meat from shells. Reserve at least 16 pieces of clamshells with meat intact for garnish.
- Cook bacon in a 3-5-quart heavy pot over medium heat until fat is rendered, and bacon begins to brown and crisp.
CREAMY CORN & CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
4.8/5 (5)Calories 250 per serving
- Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan until sizzling; add onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes or until softened. Stir in reserved clam juice, cream-style amp-custom corn, bottled clam juice and potatoes (clams will be added later). Increase heat to medium-high. Cook 4-6 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Add half & half, clams, chopped thyme, salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 5-8 minutes or until heated through.
CORN AND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - WOMAN'S DAY
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 30 minsServings 4Calories 452 per serving
- Place the oil and bacon in a Dutch oven or large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
RECIPE: CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER - MATTHEW JENNINGS RECIPE
Cuisine Regional AmericanCategory Main Course, Side DishServings 6Total Time 2 hrs 5 mins
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add ¼ cup of the wine and, working in batches, steam 2 dozen of the clams. Cover and cook, shaking the pot frequently, until the clams have opened, 8 to 10 minutes. As the clams open, transfer them and their juices to a large bowl. Discard any clams that do not open. When the clams are cool enough to handle, remove them from their shells and coarsely chop the meat. Set aside. Pour the cooking liquid from the pot through a fine strainer into another bowl (you should have about 2 cups; add water if needed). Set aside.
- Wipe the pot clean, add the bacon and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until the fat begins to render and the bacon is crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. If the pan looks dry, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions, shallots and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft and brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the remaining ¼ cup of wine and reduce the heat; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the corn and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes. Add the cream, water, jalapeño, cayenne, sugar and reserved clam liquid.
- Using kitchen twine, tie the thyme, rosemary and bay leaf together to make an herb bundle then add it to the soup. Cook over medium heat until the cream has reduced by a third, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the jalapeños and herb bundle.
- Using a blender or a hand blender, purée the soup until smooth. Return to low heat, add the potatoes and cook until almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the clam meat and remaining dozen clams in their shells.
HOMEMADE CLAM CHOWDER WITH CORN - SIMPLY RECIPES
4.9/5 (16)Occupation FounderCuisine New EnglandTotal Time 1 hr
CREAMY CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER - PAULA DEEN
CORN, CLAM, AND MUSSEL CHOWDER RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (5)Calories 233 per serving
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion, celery, and chopped thyme to pan; cook 8 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Add potato and bottled juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 9 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn and mussels; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until mussels open; discard any unopened shells. Combine half-and-half, milk, and flour in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Stir half-and-half mixture and clams into pan; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in 2 tablespoons reserved clam liquid and salt. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Tomato and fennel salad: Combine 4 cups torn romaine lettuce, 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, and 1 cup sliced fennel bulb in a large bowl. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons honey, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl. Gradually add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour vinaigrette over lettuce mixture; toss well.
CLAM-AND-CORN CHOWDER RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 5 mins
- Bring cubed potato and water to cover to a simmer in small saucepan over medium-low. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Cut kernels from 3 ears of the corn; reserve cobs. Preheat grill to medium (350°F to 400°F). Grill remaining 2 ears corn, covered, until charred, about 8 minutes, turning often. Cool 5 minutes; cut kernels from grilled corn, and discard grilled cobs.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add onion, shallot, garlic, and sugar, and cook, stirring often, until tender and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add butter and raw corn kernels, and cook until corn is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, and cook 1 minute.
- Add cream, seafood stock, salt, cayenne pepper, reserved raw cobs, jalapeño halves, thyme sprigs, and rosemary sprig. Increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until liquid is reduced by one-third, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard thyme, rosemary, corn cobs, and jalapeño halves.
- Transfer mixture to a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender, and place a clean towel over opening in lid. Process mixture until smooth, about 30 seconds. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in grilled corn kernels, cooked clam meat, cooked potatoes, and uncooked clams in shells. Cover and cook over medium-low until clamshells open, about 5 minutes. Remove opened clams; divide among 4 bowls.
CLAM & CORN CHOWDER RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Category Healthy Corn Chowder RecipesCalories 344 per servingTotal Time 45 mins
- Add the corn kernels and bacon to a large pot. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp and the corn starts to brown, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and corn to a small bowl.
- Add butter, onion, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaf to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in juices from the cans, clam juice and the reserved corncobs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Discard the corncobs, thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Stir in clams, milk, pepper and salt. Add half of the reserved bacon and corn. Cook, stirring, until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve topped with the remaining bacon and corn.
WHITE CORN AND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - VICTOR SCARGLE | FOOD ...
Servings 8Category Soup Recipes, Chowder, Clam Chowder
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the bacon and cook over moderately low heat until the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the wine and boil over moderately high heat until evaporated, about 7 minutes. Add 1 cup of the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Add the clams, cover and cook until they begin to open, about 2 minutes; as the clams open, transfer them to a shallow dish. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Remove the clams from their shells and put them in a small bowl. Strain the cream mixture over the clams.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the corn, leek, celery, parsley, thyme and coriander. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of wine and simmer over moderately high heat until evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the clam juice and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer the soup to a blender and puree. Strain the puree through a coarse sieve and return it to the large saucepan.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil; boil until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and add them to the soup along with the milk and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
FRUGAL GOURMET'S CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER RECIPE
4.4/5 (26)Total Time 20 minsServings 3Calories 346 per serving
DAIRY-FREE CORN CHOWDER WITH CLAMS AND CHORIZO RECIPE ...
4.4/5 (18)Servings 4
CLAM AND CORN CHOWDER RECIPE | RECIPELAND
Servings 3Calories 151 per servingTotal Time 55 mins
CORN AND CLAM CHOWDER - ECLECTIC RECIPES
5/5 (4)Category Main CourseServings 6Total Time 30 mins
BEST CHOWDER RECIPES | FOOD & WINE
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
CORN AND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - TRAVELS WITH MAI TAI TOM
5/5 (7)Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
CAMPBELL'S CORN CHOWDER SOUP - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
BEST CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE FOOD NETWORK / WATCH COOKING ...
CLAM CHOWDER | CANADIAN LIVING
CLAM-AND-CORN CHOWDER RECIPE
KAREN BARNABY: A SIMPLE CLAM CHOWDER IS BEST | THE ...
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #soups-stews #seafood #easy #crab #dietary #low-calorie #low-in-something #shellfish #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook clam chowder with corn and bacon?The corn and the clam perfectly complement each other in this delicious chowder recipe. Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the bacon and cook over moderately low heat until the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes.
How long do you cook clam chowder?Stir in the half-and-half, clams, and corn. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley. If desired, serve with hot sauce.
What kind of clams do you use for chowder?Clam chowder is best made with fresh clams (quahogs or cherrystones), but if you don’t have access to fresh clams, you can use clam juice and canned chopped clams. If using canned clams, skip steps 1 and 2 of the recipe, and use 16 ounces of clam juice, and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of chopped clams, saving the liquid from the cans to add to the clam juice.
How to cook corn and clams on the cob?Stir in the milk, then add the potatoes and thyme and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Add the corn and clams and cook until the potatoes are just tender and the corn and clams are heated through, about 3 minutes.