SPICED CHICKPEA STEW WITH COCONUT AND TURMERIC
Spiced chickpeas are crisped in olive oil, then simmered in a garlicky coconut milk for an insanely creamy, basically-good-for-you stew that evokes stews found in South India and parts of the Caribbean. While the chickpeas alone would be good as a side dish, they are further simmered with stock, bolstered with dark, leafy greens of your choosing and finished with a handful of fresh mint. When shopping, be sure to avoid low-fat coconut milk, coconut milk meant for drinking or cream of coconut: All are very different and would not be suitable here.
Provided by Alison Roman
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large pot over medium. Add garlic, onion and ginger. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent and starts to brown a little at the edges, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric, 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, and the chickpeas, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, so the chickpeas sizzle and fry a bit in the spices and oil, until they've started to break down and get a little browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove about a cup of chickpeas and set aside for garnish.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, further crush the remaining chickpeas slightly to release their starchy insides. (This will help thicken the stew.) Add coconut milk and stock, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, scraping up any bits that have formed on the bottom of the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until stew has thickened, 30 to 35 minutes. (Taste a chickpea or two, not just the liquid, to make sure they have simmered long enough to be as delicious as possible.) If after 30 to 35 minutes, you want the stew a bit thicker, keep simmering until you've reached your desired consistency. Determining perfect stew thickness is a personal journey!
- Add greens and stir, making sure they're submerged in the liquid. Cook until they wilt and soften, 3 to 7 minutes, depending on what you're using. (Swiss chard and spinach will wilt and soften much faster than kale or collard greens.) Season again with salt and pepper.
- Divide among bowls and top with mint, reserved chickpeas, a sprinkle of red-pepper flakes and a good drizzle of olive oil. Serve alongside yogurt and toasted pita if using; dust the yogurt with turmeric if you'd like.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; saute cumin seeds for 10 seconds. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is dark brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add coriander; cook and stir for 20 seconds.
- Mix chickpeas, water, potato, 1 teaspoon cilantro, salt, and pepper into onion mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover saucepan, and simmer until potato is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir tomato into chickpea stew; increase heat to medium and simmer until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cilantro over stew.
CHICKPEA AND CAULIFLOWER STEW
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, and jalapeno pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, coriander, turmeric, curry, and garam masala. Cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Pour in broth and stir thoroughly. Add cauliflower and chickpeas.
- Bring stew to a boil. Cook until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
CURRIED LENTIL AND CHICKPEA STEW
This recipe converted at least 3 people I know to curry, and many to lentils. Even my husband - who previously disliked lentils and curry - LOVES this recipe. Chunks of carrots and potatoes make this recipe hearty, while the lentils and Chickpeas give it plenty of fiber, nutrients and protein. Omit the Chickpeas if you're not a fan, or try it... you just might like it! This was my first vegan recipe.
Provided by Izzy The Terrible
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sautee onions until translucent.
- 2. Add curry powder, and cook until spice is fragrant. About 30 seconds.
- 3. Add broth, carrots and rinsed lentils and rinsed lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 4. Add cubed potatoes. Cook 15 more minutes.
- 5. Add Garbanzo beans. Cook 15 - 25 more minutes or until everything is cooked and lentils are tender.
- The times on the recipe are estimated times. There is no science about this stew. Additionally, if you want it thicker, remove a portion of the stew, and blend it using a standard or immersion blender.
- Enjoy as is, or over rice!
CURRIED CAULIFLOWER AND CHICKPEA STEW
Provided by Bon Appétit Test Kitchen
Categories Soup/Stew Vegetarian Quick & Easy High Fiber Dinner Curry Cauliflower Chickpea Fall Low Cholesterol Potluck Cilantro Boil Bon Appétit Vegan Pescatarian Dairy Free Wheat/Gluten-Free Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free No Sugar Added Kosher
Yield Makes 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add curry powder and stir 20 seconds. Add cauliflower and garbanzo beans; stir 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes with chiles, then coconut milk; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil gently until cauliflower is tender and liquid thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 16 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro; serve.
CURRIED CHICKPEA STEW
- Simmer u til chickpeas are soft, then mash in pot
- Cook on medium now adding one cup of fresh cut parsley or cilantro or green leaves in the fridge and cook
More about "curried chickpea stew recipes"
CURRIED CHICKPEA STEW RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Directions. Instructions Checklist. Step 1. Place spinach (or other greens) in a microwave-safe dish; add 1 Tbsp. water and cover. Microwave on High, stirring occasionally, …
- Place spinach (or other greens) in a microwave-safe dish; add 1 Tbsp. water and cover. Microwave on High, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out any excess water. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet with high sides or a Dutch oven. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add ginger, jalapeño, garlic, and curry powder; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add carrots and 2 Tbsp. water; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots have softened, about 10 minutes (add more water if the mixture becomes dry). Add cauliflower; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender-crisp, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, half-and-half, and coconut milk. Bring to just below boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in the reserved spinach (or greens) and heat through.
- Transfer half of the mixture (about 5 cups) to a 1 1/2-qt. freezer container; label and freeze for up to 1 month. Serve the remaining half at once, or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
SLOW COOKER CURRIED VEGETABLE AND CHICKPEA STEW | KITCHN
2020-01-29 · This creamy coconut curried stew is a perennial favorite in my house. It’s full of tender vegetables and chickpeas, along with the warming flavors of ginger and garlic — and it’s vegan! Yes, a batch of this stew makes it worth pulling out the slow cooker and clearing some space on the counter. (Image credit: Joe Lingeman) This is a great clearing-out-the-fridge recipe…
CHICKPEA CURRY STEW WITH KALE | FORKS OVER KNIVES
2020-03-23 · In a large saucepan combine the first five ingredients (through cayenne) and ¼ cup water. Cook over medium 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale, chickpeas…
CURRIED VEGETABLE AND CHICKPEA STEW | THE SPLENDID TABLE
2014-09-19 · Recipe Notes: Stove-Top Version: Instead of cooking in a slow cooker, simmer the stew over low heat on the stove top in a large Dutch oven or soup pot for 45-60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add the spinach and coconut milk and stir …
See details »
CURRIED RED LENTIL-CHICKPEA STEW WITH TOMATOES AND SPINACH ...
Add garlic, ginger, salt, coriander, cumin, curry and mustard seeds; stir and cook,1 minute. Stir in broth, water and lentils; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes for still intact lentils (up to 20 minutes for more creamy lentils). Stir in chickpeas…
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook until softened, stirring frequently, 5-10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, salt, coriander, cumin, curry and mustard seeds; stir and cook,1 minute.
- Stir in broth, water and lentils; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes for still intact lentils (up to 20 minutes for more creamy lentils). Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, spinach and lime juice; heat through and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve garnished with cilantro.
COCONUT CURRY CHICKPEA STEW · I AM A FOOD BLOG
2020-03-27 · Add the curry paste and chickpeas and fry, stirring frequently, until the chickpeas start to sizzle and get slightly brown and crisp, 8-10 minutes. Remove some chickpeas for garnish and set aside. Remove some chickpeas …
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft, but not brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and chickpeas and fry, stirring frequently, until the chickpeas start to sizzle and get slightly brown and crisp, 8-10 minutes. Remove some chickpeas for garnish and set aside.
- Use a wooden spoon or potato masher to mash the chickpeas – their starchiness will thicken the stew. Add the coconut milk and stock, scrapping up any bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking, 20-30 minutes. Stir in the greens and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
YELLOW CURRY COCONUT CHICKPEA STEW [V.] - SUGARLOVESPICES
2017-09-18 · Yellow Curry Coconut Chickpea Stew, amazing spicy flavors with a sweet coconut twist and a lot of texture. What more can you ask for! Yellow curry is a spice I use a lot. Whether making a …
JAMAICAN-STYLE CHICKPEA CURRY RECIPE - HEALTHIER STEPS
2017-09-05 · Instructions. Heat oil in a large pot on medium. Add onions and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, spring onion and cook for another minute. Add curry powder, paprika, and thyme. Cook stirring until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, carrot, chickpeas …
CURRY RED LENTIL STEW WITH KALE & CHICKPEAS - THE SIMPLE ...
2021-06-07 · Add spices, tomatoes, lentils, garbanzo beans and 6 cups of liquids, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add in the kale and optional lemon juice, continue to cook for 10 minutes or until kale …
- In large pot or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat, saute onion, garlic, and ginger until onion becomes transparent, about 5 minutes. Add spices, tomatoes, lentils, garbanzo beans and 6 cups of liquids, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add in the kale and optional lemon juice, continue to cook for 10 minutes or until kale softens and wilts.
- Serve alone, or over white rice, brown rice or quinoa. It would pair well with this flavorful Lime Cilantro Rice. And for soaking and swiping this vegan naan bread is just what you need. Enjoy!
CURRIED CHICKPEA STEW WITH BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE
Recipes; Curried Chickpea Stew with Brown Rice Pilaf; Curried Chickpea Stew with Brown Rice Pilaf. Rating: 3.5 stars. 10 Ratings. 5 star values: 0 4 star values: 6 3 star values: 3 2 star values: 1 1 star values: 0 Read Reviews Add Review 10 Ratings 9 Reviews This curry …
- To prepare pilaf, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add 1 cup onion; cook for 6 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add rice and the next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1 2/3 cups water and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Discard cardamom, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Keep warm.
- To prepare stew, heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, and swirl to coat. Add 2 cups onion; sauté for 6 minutes or until golden. Add ginger and the next 7 ingredients (through cinnamon stick); cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 2 1/2 cups water, carrot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, chickpeas, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are tender and sauce is slightly thick. Discard cardamom and cinnamon stick.
- Place 1 cup rice mixture into each of 4 bowls; spoon 1 1/4 cups chickpea mixture over rice. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons yogurt and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
BRAZILIAN COCONUT CHICKPEA CURRY | RECIPETIN EATS
2020-02-10 · Brazilian Chickpea Curry. The sauce for this curry is swiped from Brazilian Fish Stew, a traditional Brazilian dish that’s been a reader favourite for many years now. It tastes like a coconut curry, yet it’s made with just 2 spices – paprika and cumin. Far simpler than most of the from-scratch curry …
- Add remaining Curry ingredients except baby spinach. Stir, bring to simmer then lower to medium low so it's simmering gently.
1-POT CURRIED CHICKPEA SOUP | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
2020-04-09 · More Chickpea Soup Recipes. 1-Pot Chickpea Tomato Peanut Stew (West African-inspired) Romesco Soup with Smashed Chickpeas; Curried Beet Soup with Tandoori Chickpeas ; Turmeric Chickpea Curry from Chickpea Plant Life! If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends! 1-Pot Curried Chickpea …
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more, until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add chickpeas, salt, and curry powder and stir to coat. Sauté on medium-low heat for 5 minutes to slightly brown the chickpeas and infuse them with more flavor. Stir frequently.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth (omit for thicker, more stew-like texture) and stir. Bring back to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Near the end of cooking, add the maple syrup and lime juice and stir. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt to taste, maple syrup for sweetness, curry powder for more intense curry flavor, red pepper for heat, or lime juice for acidity.
CURRIED CHICKPEA POTATO STEW - RUNNING ON REAL FOOD
VEGAN CHICKPEA CURRY STEW RECIPE - RUNNING ON REAL FOOD
CURRIED CAULIFLOWER AND CHICKPEA STEW RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
2009-03-16 · Add curry powder and stir 20 seconds. Add cauliflower and garbanzo beans; stir 1 minute. diced tomatoes with chiles, then coconut milk; bring to boil. …
CURRIED CHICKPEA AND SUMMER VEGETABLE STEW - RECIPE ...
Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until soft and golden, about 15 minutes (reduce the heat to medium low, if necessary, to prevent the onion from burning). Stir in the ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, and 1/2 ...
SLOW-COOKER CURRIED CHICKPEA STEW - THRIFTY FOODS
Recipes; Slow-cooker Curried Chickpea Stew; Slow-cooker Curried Chickpea Stew. Dinner | | 8 hours 20 minutes. Nutritional Facts Per Serving 192 Calories 7.3 g Protein 38.7 g Carbohydrate 7.7 g Fibre Show Nutrition Facts Nutritional Facts Amount Per Serving % Daily Value Calories 192 Fat 1.7 g Saturated 0.3 g + Trans Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 922 mg Carbohydrate 38.7 g Fibre 7.7 g Sugars …
See details »
CURRIED CHICKPEA STEW | THE STAR
Curried Chickpea Stew. By Jennifer Bain Toronto Star. Ingredients. 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed, drained; 29 oz can stewed or diced tomatoes with liquid; 1 red bell pepper, chopped; 0.5 medium ...
See details »
CURRIED LENTIL AND CHICKPEA STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Stir in curry powder and sauté until blended and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer, then pour into slow cooker. Stir in lentils and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Add chickpeas, cover and cook until lentils and rice are tender, about 1 hour longer.
See details »
CURRIED CHICKPEA BOWLS RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
Curried Chickpea Bowl. To prepare stew, heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, and swirl to coat. Add 2 cups onion; sauté for 6 minutes or until golden. Instructions. Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C)with a rack in the center position. Prepare the Cauliflower Curry: In a large mixing bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, jalapeno, ginger, garlic, lemon ...
See details »
CURRIED CHICKPEA AND CAULIFLOWER STEW | THRIFTY FOODS RECIPES
Add the curry paste and cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Mix in the coconut milk/cornstarch mixture, stock and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Gently simmer until cauliflower is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Mix in the peas and heat through 1 minute. Season the stew with salt. Top servings of the stew with sliced green onion.
See details »
CURRIED CHICKPEA STEW - TFRECIPES.COM
curried chickpea stew with brown rice pilaf recipe From myrecipes.com 2010-12-18 · Add 2 1/2 cups water, carrot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, chickpeas, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
See details »