if you don't save the heart when field dressing your deer, you're missing out! this is some of the best meat on the beast. my buddies think it's nuts, so i usually get them to save theirs for me.
Time: 10 minutes
- trim the heart and slice approximately 1 / 2 in thick
- marinate in italian dressing overnight
- grill to medium rare
Number Of Ingredients: 2
- venison heart
- italian dressing
We always just diced the heart and fried it in olive oil... fried diced potatoes in another frying pan and had at it. No creativity I guess. Hey it's the keyboards fault for misspelled words. Every day above ground is a good day especially when it's one day closer to hunting season.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by CHEF GRPA
Yield 2-4 serving(s)
- 1. Clean the heart under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- 2. Cut the heart in half lengthwise so that you have two squares. Trim off the outer white membrane.
- 3. Cut the squares into strips and the strips into small squares.
- 4. Marinate the squares in the balsamic, oil, rosemary, and salt and pepper, covered in plastic for at least an hour.
- 5. Heat a pan over high heat with a bit of oil and quick sear the heart squares, about 1 minute on each side. You want them to be no more than medium rare. Serve immediately!
- My Note: I always boil the heart, for 45 minutes or so, then refrigerate, slice up for sandwhich, with onions of course.
- Stuffed Deer Heart.
- 1Deer heart.
- 1 cup Fine bread crumbs.
- 1 Stock of celery, chopped.
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt.
- 4 Tablespoons Melted butter.
- 1 Small onion, chopped (vidalia onion).
- 1/2 teaspoon Sage.
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper.
- Flour, salt and pepper for dredging.
- 1. heart with a damp cloth, soak overnight in salted water, and then drain.
- 2. Mix stuffing ingredients in order given.
- 3. Drain the heart, hollow out the top and stuff with the sage dressing, and then close the opening.
- 4. Dredge heart in flour, salt and pepper.
- 5. Dot with butter or dripping.
- 6. Place in a covered roaster and bake in a 325*F. oven until done, about 3 hours, basting occasionally.
- Tip's: My mother would boil the heart for a while and then bake it with sage dressing. Delicious! I did so want her recipe for sage dressing! Do you or tou have one ?.
- GRPA- Your Mom and My Mom's did the same Sage Dressing ? But a Deer Heart maybe? From Laura November 14, 1965
- Will, When I think of dressing or stuffing, whatever you choose to call it, this is the recipe I do. It's the only recipe I know. This is what I remember having every year at Thanksgiving as long as I can remember. It is simple, easy, and everyone in our family loves it. It's best served with gravy drizzled on it. I usually make it with whatever is the cheapest sandwich bread I can find at the store. However, this time I had some leftover Italian bread that needed to be used up, so I used that and made a half recipe for my family. It can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge. Your dressing should look a little more squished and condensed than my picture. I made the mistake of cooking it in a covered casserole dish. It turned out too dry on the top layer.
- 2 loaves of sandwich bread (I usually just get the cheapest loaf, which is usually store brand).
- 4 stalks of celery, finely diced.
- 2 medium onions, finely diced.
- 4 tablespoons butter.
- 2 teaspoons ground sage.
- 1. Slice loaves of bread into small cubes. Place in a large pot or on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sage and toss bread. You want each piece of bread to get a little sprinkling of sage. Repeat this as necessary. I'd guess I use at least 2 tsp, maybe even a tablespoon.
- 2. Place diced celery in a pan with just enough water to cover and steam until tender. Add celery along with the water to the bread and toss.
- 3. Then saute onion in the butter until translucent. Toss in with bread. At this point, feel the bread. You want it to just be slightly moist and sticky. If needed add more water to get bread to that consistency.
- 4. Place bread mixture in a pocket made of foil (wrapped tight), or they have those foil packs you can buy now. It is best to cook it in foil. However, you can also use a large roasting bag placed on a cookie sheet too to cook it inches Don't cook in a casserole dish, the dressing won't all remain moist, you'll get some that is crunchy. I learned that his time! Bake at 350*F. for 30 minutes. (I've done it at 325*F. along with the turkey for 40 minutes) This can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.
- Don't make the mistake I did, using the same amount of ground sage as this recipes calls for in dried sage.
Number Of Ingredients: 5
- 1 deer heart
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- salt and pepper
More recipes about deer heart recipes
Easy Pan Fried Deer Heart Recipe • The Rustic Elk
Recipe From : therusticelk.comDec 11, 2020 · Season the heart with parsley, black pepper and sea salt. Add the crushed clove of garlic and the seasoned deer heart pieces to the skillet with the … ...Show details
How to Cook Deer Heart - Practical Self Reliance
Recipe From : practicalselfreliance.comNov 01, 2018 · While that’s one of the simplest ways to cook deer heart, if you’re looking for a bit more inspiration, take a look at these deer heart recipes. Classic Jaeger Schnitzel (battered and fried hunter cutlets) Fried Venison Heart with Buttermilk Gravy Grilled Deer Heart Kabobs ...Show details
Deer Heart Recipe | CDKitchen.com
Recipe From : cdkitchen.comSoak heart in salted water in back hall for 24 hours, changing water 3 times. After 3rd change fill with milk. Dad will think this is a waste of milk and may cause a need to leave camp to go to the store. Make sure pot is covered at all times in back hall or a mouse may fall in. ...Show details
Grilled Deer Heart Recipe - How to Cook Deer Heart | Hank Shaw
Recipe From : honest-food.netJun 13, 2012 · With a typical deer heart from a white-tailed deer, a blacktail or a muley, one heart will feed two people. Maybe. A big deer will definitely feed two, an antelope only one. An elk heart or a moose heart will feed up to six. If you are a non-hunter still reading this, a pork heart is like a regular deer’s, veal heart … ...Show details
Deer Heart Recipes, Deer Liver Recipes, Venison Offal Recipes
Recipe From : honest-food.netJan 25, 2008 · A selection of deer heart recipes, deer liver recipes, as well as recipes for venison offal of other types, such as venison and elk tongue. ...Show details
Deer Heart | Venison Heart Recipes | Venison Recipes
Recipe From : deervenison.comVenison Heart Teriyaki, one of many delectable dishes that can be prepared using the heart of big-game animals such as deer and elk. 2 tablespoons butter or margarine 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil ...Show details
Cooking and Eating Deer Heart For the First Time
Recipe From : themeateater.comJan 03, 2017 · The plan was to try Hank Shaw’s “Grilled Deer Heart with Peppers” recipe, and that began with a simple marinade. So we took ingredients like red wine vinegar, olive oil and worcestershire sauce, mixed it all up in a bowl and poured it over my now trimmed heart “steaks” in a new ziploc bag. I then massaged the marinade into the meat ... ...Show details
Five tasty venison heart recipes we'd love to… | Grand
Recipe From : grandviewoutdoors.comFeb 14, 2018 · 1 venison heart, cut in 1/2-inch slices Salt and pepper to taste In a large skillet, heat the butter, teriyaki sauce and oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook until tender. ...Show details
Pan-fried deer heart – The Deerslayer's Wife
Recipe From : thedeerslayerswife.comJan 16, 2014 · (and preparing Pan-Fried Venison Heart) As I read a post recently, from Andy at Tremendous Whatnot, I was reminded of the Deerslayer tradition of preparing a celebratory dinner for the lucky hunter who triumphantly brought his/her bounty back to camp. ...Show details
How to Cook Venison Deer Heart Recipe EASY!! - YouTube
Recipe From : youtube.comBreaking Wilds - Home Cookin Hunter Joel Lickliter shows you how to prepare and perfectly cook a venison heart in a cast iron skillet. This recipe is super e... ...Show details
Seared Venison Heart with Whiskey Butter Recipe
Recipe From : themeateater.comAug 27, 2019 · Sprinkle both sides of the venison heart with the coffee rub. Reserve a couple of pinches for the whiskey-butter sauce. You can cook on a camp stove or build a small fire and burn the wood down to coals. Place a cast iron over the medium-high burner or on top of a grate over the fire. ...Show details
Herb Marinated Grilled Deer Heart - Modern Carnivore
Recipe From : modcarn.comJan 22, 2020 · Jan 22, 2020 · Grilled Deer Heart Recipe. Herb Marinade. 1/4 cup olive oil. 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar. 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary. 1 teaspoon thyme. 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. 1/4 teaspoon black Pepper. 1 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle the salt on the heart steaks and let rest for 30 minutes. Combine the remaining ingredients and marinate the heart … ...Show details
How to Cook Venison Heart (Deer Hunting) - YouTube
Recipe From : youtube.comEvery year Doc cooks venison heart in deer camp. Until now, he had never recorded his recipe. In this video Doc cooks a venison heart from one of the bucks t... ...Show details
How to Clean a Venison Heart | MeatEater Cook
Recipe From : themeateater.comFeb 20, 2019 · At MeatEater, we get more questions about venison hearts than almost any other wild game cookery. And truthfully, the heart is perhaps the tastiest piece of an animal and not at all difficult to clean or cook. There is more than one way to cook a heart, which means there is more than one way to... ...Show details
Smoked Venison Hearts Jerky Bites Recipe | Realtree Camo
Recipe From : realtree.comApr 30, 2021 · They make a perfect introduction to someone who might be on the fence about eating the heart from a deer. Ingredients 2-3 venison hearts, trimmed of fat and connective tissue, diced into roughly 1-inch pieces (2-3 pounds finished meat) ...Show details
Pickled Deer Heart | Mossy Oak
Recipe From : mossyoak.comFeb 14, 2018 · Boil heart in 8 Qt. water with 1.5 tbsp. pickling spices and 1 chopped onion for approximately 1 hour. In a separate pan, combine: 2 cups of water, 3 cups of vinegar, 1.5 tbsp. of pickling spice, 1 chopped onion and 3/4 cup of sugar. Bring the separate pan to a boil. Then, remove it from the heat source. ...Show details
8 Best Deer heart recipe ideas | deer heart recipe
Recipe From : pinterest.comFeb 13, 2020 - Explore Wldeutscher's board "Deer heart recipe" on Pinterest. See more ideas about deer heart recipe, venison, venison recipes. ...Show details
Michigan-Style Fried Deer Heart Recipe | MeatEater Cook
Recipe From : themeateater.comNov 24, 2018 · Nov 24, 2018 · **Deer heart takes to a marinade quite nicely. I like to marinate it and grill the slices Here’s a simple recipe you might want to try Slice the deer heart 1/2 inch thick. Combine in a resealable bag 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil. 2 tablespoons steak seasoning, and 1/2 cup white vinegar. ...Show details
Smoked Wild Game Hearts – From Field To Plate
Recipe From : fromfieldtoplate.comFeb 14, 2016 · The heart is a muscle just like every other piece of meat you eat. It takes on flavor like a champ and when cooked right can be the tenderest melt in your mouth piece of meat you’ve ever eaten. I decided to try my hand at smoked a heart today and WOW, it was a real crowd pleaser. Below you’ll find the recipe and some picture. ...Show details
Corned and Smoked Venison Heart | Realtree Camo
Recipe From : realtree.comFeb 01, 2017 · Trim most of the external fat and silverskin from the hearts. Mix all brine ingredients and heat in a medium saucepan to a light simmer. Continue simmering for a full 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and slide the pot over to allow the brine to cool. ...Show details
MeatEater Recipe: Seared Venison Heart with Whiskey Butter
Recipe From : youtube.comMeatEater's Wild Foods contributor, Danielle Prewett shows us how to make a memorable meal that is easy and delicious, the perfect way to celebrate your next... ...Show details
Pickled Venison Heart – Venison Thursday
Recipe From : venisonthursday.comNov 09, 2016 · The Ingredients: a deer heart, or two 2 quarts of vinegar (I prefer apple cider vinegar) 1 cup of sugar (I prefer brown) ...Show details
Braai'ed (Grilled) Deer Heart Recipe
Recipe From : northamericanwhitetail.comJun 25, 2020 · A side of grilled asparagus pairs well with this Braai’ed Deer Heart Recipe. (Jenny Nguyen-Wheatley photo) Take the heart off the grill and allow to rest, tented in foil, for at least 5 minutes. Slice grilled deer heart thinly against the grain and … ...Show details
Wild Game Cooking: Have a (Deer) Heart! •Nebraskaland Magazine
Recipe From : magazine.outdoornebraska.govNov 15, 2016 · It can stay on ice and remain fresh for about 48 to 72 hours. Once home, the trimming and cleaning process of the heart begins (see recipe below). Deer heart is actually simple to make, is best eaten fresh not frozen, at least within a couple days of … ...Show details
Deer Hunting V: How to Cook a Deer Heart
Recipe From : georgiapellegrini.comJan 01, 2010 · Thanks for what looks like a great deer heart recipe. Reply. Georgia Says 10 February 2013. Enjoy! Try roasting the bones one day and making them into venison stock. You can freeze the … ...Show details
15-minutes-or-less time-to-make course cuisine preparation north-american for-1-or-2 5-ingredients-or-less appetizers main-dish easy number-of-servings 3-steps-or-less