Dressing In A Casserole Or A Bird
DRESSING IN A CASSEROLE OR A BIRD
this is a really good moist stuffing that takes the place of stove top. you can easily make it in a dish for dinner even if you arent making a turkey. goes great if you want to roast or bbq a chicken and have stuffing. however it is really good to stuff your bird too. i sometimes add a clove of garlic while sauteeing onion.
Time: 75 minutes
- put 1 / 4 cup butter in skillet on medium heat sautee bread til lightly brown , remove from pan add a bit more butter if necessary and sautee onion and celery including leaves
- mix in spices , stir and pour over bread , tossing til covered
- mix together eggs and milk and pour over bread mixing well
- put in greased casserole and dot top with remaining 2 tbs butter
- cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes , take off cover and bake 10 minutes longer
- or stuff you bird and bake as usual
Number Of Ingredients: 12
- celery leaves
- black pepper
- ground sage
- fresh sage
- poultry seasoning
FARMHOUSE HERBED STUFFING
This farmhouse-style recipe relies on store-bought stuffing cubes enhanced with a flurry of dried and fresh herbs. Bake it in a casserole dish, or stuff it into the bird.
Recipe From epicurious.com
Provided by Rick Rodgers
Yield 8 servings (about 9 cups, or enough to fill a 12-pound turkey, with extra for baking alongside)
- In 12-inch, heavy skillet over moderate heat, heat butter until hot but not smoking. Stir in onion and celery, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. (Vegetables can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat before continuing: In 12-inch, heavy skillet over moderately high heat, sauté, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes.)
- Transfer to large bowl and add stuffing cubes, parsley, celery salt, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1¼ cups hot stock.
- If using to stuff turkey:
- Use immediately to fill cavities and spread remainder in baking dish as directed in Classic Roast Turkey recipe .
- If baking in a casserole pan:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter 3-quart casserole or 9-by 13-inch baking dish. Transfer stuffing to dish and drizzle with ½ cup hot stock (stuffing baked outside of the turkey won't be soaked in the turkey's juices, so extra stock is drizzled on top to keep it moist). Cover with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
- Sausage and Sage Stuffing: In large, heavy skillet over moderate heat, sauté 1 pound bulk pork sausage, breaking up pieces with spoon, until meat shows no sign of pink, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl. Proceed with recipe, adding ingredients to bowl with sausage and substituting 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage for dried rosemary and sage.
- Dried Apricot and Pecan Stuffing: Dried fruit are better than fresh in stuffing because the latter get soggy with long baking. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 1½ cups (6 ounces) pecans on rimmed baking sheet and toast, stirring occasionally, until browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Cool and coarsely chop. In medium bowl, combine 1½ cups diced dried apricots and hot water to cover. Soak until apricots plump, about 30 minutes, then drain well. Proceed with recipe, tossing apricots and pecans with other ingredients in large bowl.
- Test-Kitchen Tips: Warm, moist stuffing is an optimal environment for bacteria such as salmonella or E. coli to multiply, so it's important to follow safe procedures. Be sure to make the stuffing at the last minute so it can go into the bird warm. This helps it move above the "danger zone" (the optimal temperature range for bacteria growth) more quickly during roasting. Stuffing baked outside of the turkey can be spread in the baking dish and refrigerated for a few hours while the turkey roasts, but it should be prepared on the same day as baking.
Number Of Ingredients: 12
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, cut into ¼-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 6 stalks celery with leaves, cut into ¼-inch dice (about 2½ cups)
- 1 (14-ounce) package seasoned bread stuffing cubes
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups hot Homemade Turkey Stock or canned turkey stock, plus 1/2 cup more if baking all of stuffing outside of turkey
"SIMPLE IS BEST" DRESSING
Leave the sausage, nuts, dried fruit behind in favor of this easy, vegetarian-friendly stuffing recipe with country bread and Thanksgiving-classic herbs.
Recipe From epicurious.com
Provided by Victoria Granof
Yield 8-10 servings
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Butter a 13x9x2" baking dish and set aside. Scatter bread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, until dried out, about 1 hour. Let cool; transfer to a very large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt 3/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions and celery. Stir often until just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add to bowl with bread; stir in herbs, salt, and pepper. Drizzle in 1 1/4 cups broth and toss gently. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk 1 1/4 cups broth and eggs in a small bowl. Add to bread mixture; fold gently until thoroughly combined. Transfer to prepared dish, cover with foil, and bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of dressing registers 160°F, about 40 minutes. (Note: Dressing can be made one day ahead up to this point. Uncover the dressing, let cool, then cover again and chill. The next day, proceed with the final bake as described below.)
- Bake dressing, uncovered, until set and top is browned and crisp, 40-45 minutes longer (if chilled, add 10-15 minutes).
Number Of Ingredients: 12
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter plus more for baking dish
- 1 pound good-quality day-old white bread, torn into 1" pieces (about 10 cups)
- 2½ cups chopped yellow onions
- 1½ cups ¼" slices celery
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 large eggs
BREAD AND CELERY STUFFING
An easy stuffing recipe for a 10 to 12 pound turkey.
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Carlota Chmielewski
- Let bread slices air dry for 1 to 2 hours, then cut into cubes.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Cook onion and celery until soft. Season with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir in bread cubes until evenly coated. Moisten with chicken broth; mix well.
- Chill, and use as a stuffing for turkey, or bake in a buttered casserole dish at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
Number Of Ingredients: 7
- 1 (1 pound) loaf sliced white bread
- ¾ cup butter or margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
TURKEY AND DRESSING CASSEROLE
This custard-style dressing is filled with turkey cubes, bread crumbs and plenty of seasoning. It is soothing on a chilly day.
Recipe From tasteofhome.com
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
- In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the cornbread, bread cubes, broth and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish., For gravy, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. , Spoon half of the gravy over dressing mixture. Layer with turkey and remaining gravy. Sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through., Or cover casserole and freeze for up to 3 months., To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through.
Number Of Ingredients: 18
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 1 cup cubed day-old bread
- 2 tablespoons chicken or turkey broth
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- Dry bread crumbs, optional
Make room on your plate for this classic bread stuffing recipe that's the essential side dish for every holiday gathering. With the perfect blend of hearty herbs, buttery goodness and warm, yeasty bread, this Thanksgiving bread dressing recipe will be your family's go-to classic for years to come.
Recipe From bettycrocker.com
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
- Melt butter in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook celery and onion in butter 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove Dutch oven from the heat.
- Gently toss celery mixture and remaining ingredients, using spoon, until bread cubes are evenly coated.
- Use to stuff one 10- to 12-pound turkey. Or to bake stuffing separately, grease 3-quart casserole or rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Place stuffing in casserole or baking dish. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.
Number Of Ingredients: 8
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 9 cups soft bread cubes (15 slices)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
More recipes about dressing in a casserole or a bird recipes
Stuffing | The Best Blog Recipes
Recipe From : thebestblogrecipes.comDec 22, 2020 · While stuffing gets its name from being served literally stuffed inside a bird, the savory filling has taken on a life of its own as a delicious side dish. Traditionally served with holiday meals, stuffing appears alongside turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole… ...Show details
10 Best Stuffing Casserole Recipes | Yummly
Recipe From : yummly.comMay 06, 2021 · Chicken and Stuffing Casserole All Things Food, Cooking with Mary and Friends pepper, poultry seasoning, celery, onion, chicken stock, chicken and 3 more Squash Sausage Stuffing Casserole Just a Pinch ...Show details
Basic Bread Stuffing Recipe - The Spruce Eats
Recipe From : thespruceeats.comGrease a baking dish generously with butter. Sauté the onion and celery in the butter until softened. Combine onion mixture with bread, pepper, salt, sage and poultry … ...Show details
How to Make Moist Stuffing | Thanksgiving Recipes, Menus
Recipe From : foodnetwork.comWhatever you call it, stuffing — and moist stuffing at that — is a must-have on any Thanksgiving table. Typically, baking the stuffing inside the bird helps keep the mixture moist. ...Show details
Old Stuffing - Recipes | Cooks.com
Recipe From : cooks.comCook onion in butter until tender; add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss with bread cubes. Drizzle broth over cubes and toss again. ... ...Show details
The BEST Classic Stuffing Recipe | foodiecrush .com
Recipe From : foodiecrush.comNov 21, 2020 · To make it, simply melt the butter in a skillet, then add in the chopped onion and celery and cook until softened. Add the dried bread cubes to a large mixing … ...Show details
Baked Stuffing Casserole Recipe | CDKitchen.com
Recipe From : cdkitchen.comPlace the bread cubes, salt, pepper, and sage in a large bowl. Add the cooked onion, celery, and the melted butter from the pan. Combine the chicken and rice soup with the water in a small bowl. Add to the bread … ...Show details
Classic Bread Stuffing | Culinary Hill
Recipe From : culinaryhill.comMar 14, 2021 · In large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter until foaming. Add onion and celery and sauté until translucent, about 7 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk eggs in large bowl. Stir in broth, 1 … ...Show details
Chicken-and-Cornbread Casserole Recipe | MyRecipes
Recipe From : myrecipes.comFeb 23, 2006 · Sauté celery and onion in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender; set aside. Step 2 Combine cornbread and poultry seasoning in a large … ...Show details
Classic Bread Stuffing Recipe - Recipe - FineCooking
Recipe From : finecooking.comDec 01, 1997 · In a large skillet over medium heat, melt half of the butter. Add the onion, celery, garlic, sage, thyme, celery seeds, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Cook, covered, … ...Show details
Cornbread Stuffing and Dressing Recipes - Allrecipes.com
Recipe From : allrecipes.comCornbread Stuffing and Dressing Recipes ... Prepare this easy, tasty stuffing in a baking dish, or use it to stuff a big bird. Apple and sausage give it a sweet and savory flavor. By B.E. Larkin; Cornbread Dressing II. Chopped mushrooms, celery and green onions are baked with crumbled homemade cornbread in this great stuffing. ...Show details
One Pot Chicken Stuffing Casserole | The Modern Proper
Recipe From : themodernproper.comNov 07, 2017 · And yes, we know that technically this is a dressing recipe because the herbed bread isn’t actually stuffed inside of a bird. However, since it is cooked alongside of bone-in, skin-on chicken thigh pieces—which release their flavorful shmaltz into the casserole as they cook—the dish feels like a happy medium between stuffing and dressing. ...Show details
The Best Southern Cornbread Dressing | Everyday Eileen
Recipe From : everydayeileen.comNov 16, 2018 · Stuffing is traditionally put inside the bird before being baked. While dressing is cooked in a casserole. Again, call it whatever makes you happy, eat and enjoy! If you need to pick Team Dressing or Team Stuffing, this is a fun article about regions in the United States and the quest for a dressing/stuffing recipe! ...Show details
How to Make Stuffing That'll Win Thanksgiving | Better
Recipe From : bhg.comOct 02, 2020 · Pull the neck skin to the back; fasten with a short skewer. Then bake an entire recipe of stuffing in a casserole dish instead of using it to stuff the bird. Bake the casserole, covered, in a 325°F oven 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through. ...Show details
Tastee Recipe Country Chicken And Dressing Casserole - So
Recipe From : tasteerecipe.comSep 05, 2016 · Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a long cake pan or casserole dish. Pour the chicken soup, cream of celery soup, and the small can of milk over the chicken. In a large bowl mix the stuffing mix, the sage, and the chicken broth. Spread the … ...Show details
Crockpot Chicken and Dressing Casserole
Recipe From : melissassouthernstylekitchen.comOct 20, 2019 · Season with poultry seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic and salt. In a skillet on the stovetop, cook the onion and celery with butter over medium-high heat. Cook until softened and beginning to … ...Show details
Classic Herb and Sausage Stuffing (make-ahead) - The
Recipe From : thechunkychef.comOct 19, 2020 · We all know the holidays are incredibly hectic, and your time is at a premium. Thankfully, this stuffing recipe can easily be made or prepared ahead of time! There are 3 main ways. Made ahead – completely assemble this stuffing recipe… ...Show details
Best Homemade Turkey Stuffing Recipe - How to Make Classic
Recipe From : delish.comAug 20, 2020 · The day before: Tear or slice bread into 1/4" cubes and leave out overnight to dry out.(Alternately, place bread on baking sheets and bake at 200º for 20 … ...Show details
Stuffed Dressing - Recipes | Cooks.com
Recipe From : cooks.comHOLIDAY TURKEY DRESSING Coarsely chop 2 loaves of hard bread in food processor, add 1 large onion, finely chopped, 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, minced and 3... ...Show details
13 CHICKEN AND DRESSING CASSEROLE ideas | chicken and
Recipe From : pinterest.comApr 4, 2017 - Explore Carol's board "CHICKEN AND DRESSING CASSEROLE" on Pinterest. See more ideas about chicken and dressing casserole, cooking recipes, chicken dressing. ...Show details
CHICKEN AND DRESSING CASSEROLE - YouTube
Recipe From : youtube.comhello everyone!! today i'm trying out this recipe for the first time. my family devoured this chicken and dressing casserole. this id a very good recipe for... ...Show details
Chicken And Dressing Casserole | Just A Pinch Recipes
Recipe From : justapinch.comJan 18, 2012 · 20 Holiday Stuffing and Dressing Recipes. We don’t care if you call it stuffing or dressing, Thanksgiving isn’t Thanksgiving without this delicious holiday side dish. While we love mom’s classic recipe, we also can’t wait to try these twists and changes to the stuffing … ...Show details
Bagged Stuffing, I'm Never Gonna Give You Up | Bon Appétit
Recipe From : bonappetit.comNov 13, 2017 · Even though she welcomes me trying out new recipes on the family—like savory sweet potato casserole and Parker House rolls last year—the stuffing is … ...Show details
34 Easy Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving - Best Turkey
Recipe From : goodhousekeeping.comNov 25, 2020 · From turkey stuffing with sausage to easy stuffing recipes, one of these is sure to please. Or, if you're a stuffing fanatic make two or three different flavors to add some variety to your plate. ...Show details