THE GREAT AMERICAN MACARONI AND CHEESE
This recipe comes from the Pasta & Co. cookbook and is a favorite of mine. So delicious. They say not to substitute a smooth tube dried pasta but to always use rigatoni for the best results. It is not a fiery dish, even though it calls for Tabasco and chili powder. These only work to enhance the cheddar flavor.
Provided by Jennifer Rosholt
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Combine grated Cheddar and mozzarella and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk until near boiling. Turn off heat. Melt butter in a heavy pan large enough to hold the pasta after it is cooked. (It will take at least a 14-inch saute pan or a large casserole that can take direct heat.) When foam from butter recedes, remove from heat, add flour, and mix well. Return to medium-low heat, and, stirring occasionally, simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to cook, but not brown, the flour. Gradually stir in hot milk. Raise heat to medium-high and continue stirring until mixture is smooth and thick (about 5 minutes). Add Parmesan and Romano cheeses. Whisk until smooth. Add Tabasco and white pepper and blend.
- Cook rigatoni in boiling salted water about 4 minutes. (It will be underdone, but will finish cooking later.) Thoroughly drain rigatoni and fold it into the cheese mixture.
- If cooking immediately, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Layer one-half the rigatoni mixture into a 9x13 pan. Top with one-half of the Cheddar and mozzarella. Repeat layers. Top with chili powder, sprinkled evenly over top.
- If not baking immediately, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze. When ready to bake, drizzle the 3/4 cup milk over the dish. Bake for approximately one hour. If frozen, add at least 20 minutes to baking time. The dish should be rusty brown on top. Should it appear to be browning too fast, cover with foil for part of cooking time. Be sure to check for doneness in the very center of the dish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 864.5, Fat 52.1, SaturatedFat 31.4, Cholesterol 208, Sodium 970.8, Carbohydrate 54.6, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 2.1, Protein 44.2
GREAT GRAMMY'S MACARONI & CHEESE
This has been requested frequently enough that I will finally submit it. This is known as Great Grammy's mac & cheese thanks to my children. It's my grandmother's recipe. I spent a day watching very carefully & making notes. ;) I don't always bake it. Sometimes I just pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni & start eating! The dish I bake this in is a Corningware Cornflower 3 quart dish - it is square with high sides vs. rectangular like a smaller 9x13x2.
Provided by Elmotoo
Categories Macaroni And Cheese
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease casserole dish. Cook macaroni in boiling, well salted water until al dente. Drain.
- Melt butter in top of double boiler. Add salt, ground mustard & flour, whick until smooth. Whisk in milk until smooth. Heat until thickened. *I will take the top of the double boiler & put it on direct heat BUT keep it low & do not stop stirring or it will burn & be ruined!*.
- Add cheese & whisk until melted.
- Put 1/2 cooked macaroni in casserole. Pour about 1/3 cheese sauce over macaroni. Stir well. Lay slices of American cheese over this. (4 slices fit my dish perfectly.) Add rest of macaroni & sauce. Stir carefully. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese to cover & some pepper to taste.
- Bake 1 hour until top is browned & bubbly.
"WORLD'S BEST" MACARONI & CHEESE
We tasted this in Seattle at the Pike Place Market in the Beecher's store. It is the best! I had to get their recipe and I found it on the internet; It is a very rich creamy comfort food. I do not have Beecher's cheese so I improvised with what is available and it came out as tasty as the original. Serve this with a crisp salad. Enjoy!
Provided by Sageca
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat oven to 350; F. Set a large pot of water on high heat.
- Meanwhile, begin the sauce by making a roux: in a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Continue to stir this roux over medium heat for two to three minutes.
- The roux should be cooked and free of the flour flavor but still light in color.
- Gradually add milk, whisking briskly to maintain a smooth sauce.
- Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching.
- When sauce thickens, add cheeses, salt and spices to the sauce, and stir until all the cheese has melted. I make my sauces in the microwave; turns out great and never scorches.
- Somewhere during this sauce-cooking process, your pasta water has started boiling. The original is made with Penne noodles. Add a generous amount of salt to the water and cook the pasta until almost but not quite al dente (two minutes before the package directions indicate). You want barely undercooked pasta so that it can finish in the oven later. Halt the cooking by draining the pasta and rinsing with cold water. Return pasta to pot.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir until completely incorporated. The combination should be fairly saucy, almost soupy.
- Dish the mixture into a buttered 9-13 pan and sprinkle with extra grated cheeses and cayenne. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until you have beautiful, browned edges. Those edges will be a welcome and flavorful addition to each serving.
- Let the dish sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. I divided this in 2 containers and froze one.
GREAT MAC AND CHEESE
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more.
- Add milk and macaroni to saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in cheese, and stir until cheese melts.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 407.9 calories, Carbohydrate 38.9 g, Cholesterol 59.8 mg, Fat 20.4 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 17 g, SaturatedFat 12.5 g, Sodium 669.6 mg, Sugar 7.5 g
THE BEST BAKED MAC & CHEESE RECIPE EVER
- Boil the pasta JUST until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and return to the pan you boiled it in. Set aside. (Mix in a little butter to keep the noodles from sticking if it's going to be awhile before you make the sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika. With a wooden spoon or whisk, stir constantly for three minutes.
- Add the milk in a thin stream, stirring constantly with a whisk. Continue to stir constantly until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 2 cups of the cheese, stirring until melted. You'll reserve the last cup of cheese for topping. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and toss gently until all of the pasta is coated.
- Add half the pasta to a two-quart casserole dish (I like a tall 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish). Sprinkle on half the cheese. Add the rest of the pasta. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese, then dust lightly with the smoked paprika.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the mac and cheese is bubbling and browning on top.
- Serve, topping individual servings with parsley or cooked, chopped bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 442 kcal, Sugar 7 g, Sodium 601 mg, Fat 22 g, SaturatedFat 13 g, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 23 g, Cholesterol 68 mg, ServingSize 1 serving
HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 858.2 calories, Carbohydrate 66.7 g, Cholesterol 141.6 mg, Fat 48.7 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 37.7 g, SaturatedFat 29.9 g, Sodium 879.3 mg, Sugar 10.7 g
More about "great mac and cheese recipes"
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to Cook Mac and cheese?Stir in flour and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more. Add milk and macaroni to saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Mix in cheese, and stir until cheese melts.
What are the ingredients in Baked Mac and cheese?Creamy baked macaroni is contrasted with tangy and crunchy pickle relish to create an extra unique dish. You only need five ingredients to make this extra decadent mac and cheese recipe. Shredded Cheddar, processed cheese, and heavy cream make a thick sauce that will cling to every bite.
How do you make macaroni with cheese sauce?Add Cheddar cheese to milk mixture and stir until cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Fold macaroni into cheese sauce until coated. You can never have enough cheese, and I usually add an extra half cup without ruining the recipe.
What is simple Mac-n-Cheese?Simple mac-n-cheese. A savory twist on traditional macaroni and cheese made with multiple cheeses for layers of cheese flavor in every bite. This ain't your grandma's mac and cheese. This recipe was given to me by my friend Katie. It's a longtime favorite in her family.