GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS, GARLIC & TOASTED ALMONDS
Make an effort with your side dishes and you can make the main course simple but still deliver a stunning meal
Provided by John Torode
Categories Dinner, Side dish, Supper, Vegetable
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Cook green beans in boiling salted water until tender, then drain and cool under running water. Set aside.
- Put olive oil, shallots, garlic cloves and some salt in a frying pan, then cook gently for about 8 mins until soft but not brown. Tip in the beans and a grind of pepper, toss well, then warm through. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and toasted flaked almonds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 47 calories, Fat 3 grams fat, Carbohydrate 3 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein
ROASTED GREEN BEANS AND SHALLOTS
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place green beans in a large bowl. Mix in shallots, garlic, and almonds. Drizzle olive oil over the top; sprinkle salt and pepper evenly on top. Toss until everything is evenly coated with oil. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until beans are slightly shriveled and shallots are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 141.3 calories, Carbohydrate 18.7 g, Fat 6.7 g, Fiber 4.7 g, Protein 4.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.8 g, Sodium 333.7 mg, Sugar 3.3 g
STRING BEANS WITH SHALLOTS
- Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1 1/2 minutes only. Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water.
- Heat the butter and oil in a very large saute pan (12-inch diameter) or large pot and saute the shallots on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned. Drain the string beans and add to the shallots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, tossing well. Heat only until the beans are hot.
- If you're using regular string beans, blanch them for about 3 minutes, until they're crisp-tender.
FRENCH GREEN BEANS AND SHALLOTS
These are perfect green beans: simple flavors combined into an elegant dish that goes with almost anything. Mr. Pepin suggests a roast chicken, but they would pair equally well with a celebratory roast.
Provided by Jacques Pepin
Categories easy, quick, side dish
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the beans and cover the pot. Continue cooking the beans, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes until tender but firm. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- At serving time, heat the butter in a skillet, add the shallots and saute for about 1 minute, until the shallots start to brown.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper, and saute briefly. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve with the chicken.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 118, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 9 grams, Fat 9 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 164 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
GARLICKY GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOT
- Melt butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook shallot and garlic in the hot butter mixture, stirring frequently, until soft and slightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir green beans with shallot mixture; season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir green beans until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the green beans.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 168.7 calories, Carbohydrate 10 g, Cholesterol 13.1 mg, Fat 12.8 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 5.3 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 177.2 mg, Sugar 1.7 g
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS
- Cook the green beans in boiling, salted water for 3-4 mins, until just tender. Drain and cool under cold running water. This can be done the day before - just keep the beans covered in the fridge.
- When you're ready to eat, heat the butter in a large frying pan until foaming, add the shallots and cook for 4-5 mins, until soft but not coloured. Throw in the beans and toss to coat. Cook for 1-2 mins until heated through, then season. Serve with the pork.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 48 calories, Fat 4 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 2 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 1 grams protein, Sodium 0.05 milligram of sodium
GREEN BEANS AND GREENS WITH FRIED SHALLOTS
These delightfully al dente green beans are a quick-cooking nod to the green bean casserole. There is no cream of mushroom soup, but there are fried shallots. Torn leafy greens, briefly sautéed with a bit of butter and a few melted anchovies (which can be omitted for vegetarians), are added to the beans to wilt at the last minute for a very green-on-green side. Depending on what else you're serving, this could almost count as a salad. Be sure to finish with plenty of acid and flaky salt.
Provided by Alison Roman
Categories dinner, vegetables, side dish
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oil and shallots in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, swirling the skillet occasionally, until shallots are lightly browned and starting to crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer half of the oil from the pan to a small bowl. Return the skillet to medium-high heat, and add green beans. Season with salt and pepper and cook, without tossing, until lightly charred and blistered on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Give them a toss, and cook, another 3 to 4 minutes, until just tender and cooked through.
- Add butter and anchovies, and season with salt and pepper. Add kale, and toss to coat until greens are wilted and tender and butter is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and add vinegar, tossing to coat. Season with salt, pepper and more vinegar, if needed.
- Transfer to a large bowl or platter and drizzle with reserved shallot oil. Scatter with fried shallots and flaky salt, and serve.
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS AND BREADCRUMBS
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans, and blanch until bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain, and transfer to ice-water bath. Let stand until cool. Drain, and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add beans, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in breadcrumbs, and cook for 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS
A package of frozen green beans makes these "dill-icious" green beans a fast and tasty accompaniment to almost any main course. -Linda Rabbit, Charles City, Iowa
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Cook green beans according to package directions., Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Add the green beans, salt, dill and pepper; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 83 calories, Fat 4g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 299mg sodium, Carbohydrate 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS, LEMON, AND THYME
Entered for safe-keeping, from Sean Donnellan's "Something Tastes Funny" with recipes by Naidre Miller. This cookbook is geared to new cooks and non-cooks. Personally, I recommend revising the original 2 tablespoons butter to 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Note: the purple shallots generally available are "large" shallots, and 2 small shallots equal 1 large shallot, but the large shallot will be stronger. Old French recipes generally refer to small shallots.
Provided by KateL
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Wash beans in cold water. Trim ends of beans, either using a sharp knife or snap them off.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter and olive oil. Add shallots and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add beans, sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper, and cover. Cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking pan once in a while to prevent them from burning or sticking. Check to see if tender: if not, recover and cook until desired doneness. (They should still have snap, but rawness should be cooked out.).
- Add lemon juice, toss, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 97.4, Fat 6.5, SaturatedFat 2.4, Cholesterol 7.6, Sodium 8.2, Carbohydrate 9.6, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 3.9, Protein 2.3
GREEN BEANS WITH BACON AND SHALLOTS
These are awesome. I tried these one night at dinner with 6 people, and all agreed that they could eat these beans as the whole meal and forget everything else. I used pepper bacon which added a little more pizzazz.
Provided by lazyme
Yield 10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Drain well. Pat dry with paper towels. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Wrap in paper towels; enclose in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate.)
- Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Discard all but 3 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet. Add butter to skillet and melt over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender and golden, about 4 minutes. Add beans and sauté until heated through, about 6 minutes. Add bacon to skillet and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 102.7, Fat 6.6, SaturatedFat 3.2, Cholesterol 13.5, Sodium 91.8, Carbohydrate 9.7, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 3.7, Protein 3.1
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS
- Bring a medium pot of cold water to a boil over high heat and salt it generously. Trim the stem end off the green beans. Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Drop the green beans into the boiling water and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain in a colander set in the sink and rinse with very cold water until cool. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels. (The vegetables can be prepared up to this point, up to 4 hours ahead.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is just golden, about 2 minutes. Add the green beans, increase the heat to high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through, about 4 minutes. Season with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper and serve immediately.
More about "green beans with shallots recipes"
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS RECIPE - UNCUT RECIPES
Servings 4Calories 120 per servingTotal Time 20 mins See details »
GREEN BEANS AND SHALLOTS - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
FRENCH GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS - ONCE ... - ONCE UPON …
Cuisine American, FrenchTotal Time 20 minsCategory Vegetables & SidesCalories 116 per serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the beans, salt, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is evaporated, the beans are tender, and the shallots are jammy, about 6 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Serve warm.
GREEN BEANS WITH BACON AND SHALLOTS - URBAN BLISS LIFE
Ratings 7Servings 6Cuisine AmericanCategory Side Dish
- Add the green beans, toss together until coated and cook for 3-5 minutes until green beans are softened. Remove from heat, and serve immediately.
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS AND LEMON - DOWNSHIFTOLOGY
5/5 (8)Total Time 15 minsCategory Side DishCalories 93 per serving
- Add the green beans and blanch in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes. While the beans are cooking, fill a large bowl with ice water. Drain the beans with a colander and immediately transfer to the ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain again and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced shallots and saute for 1-2 minutes.
FRENCH GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS AND SESAME GINGER …
5/5 (2)Total Time 25 minsCategory Side DishCalories 136 per serving
- Add 2 tbsp. sesame oil to a sauté pan, then evenly distribute the sliced shallots. Turn heat to medium. Sauté shallots for 4 minutes without moving them, then loosen them from the pan and flip them with a spatula. Add 1 tbsp. ginger, and allow shallots to evenly brown for 4 more minutes. When nice and brown, remove shallots and ginger from the pan and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp. of sesame oil to the pan with 12 oz. (340g) French green beans. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, and allow beans to blister for 7-8 minutes, tossing them with the spatula, occasionally.
BLISTERED GREEN BEANS WITH FRIED SHALLOTS ... - BON APPéTIT
4.4/5 (15)Servings 4
- Crush shallot, garlic, lemongrass, and ginger in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste; set aside. (If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, chop very finely.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Arrange green beans in a single layer; cook, undisturbed, until browned underneath, about 3 minutes. Using tongs, turn beans over and cook, tossing occasionally, until deeply browned in spots and tender, about 5 minutes. Add reserved lemongrass mixture; cook, tossing, until fragrant and tender, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add oyster sauce, season with salt, and toss to coat.
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS - RACHAEL RAY IN SEASON
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and sweet but not browned, about 20 minutes. (If the shallots start to brown, reduce the heat.) Add the stock and turn off the heat.
- Fill a bowl with ice water. In a deep skillet, bring 3 inches of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the green beans and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the green beans and cold-shock in the ice water. Drain very well.
- Add the green beans to the shallots and cover until ready to serve. Reheat over medium just to heat through.
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS • FAMILY AROUND THE TABLE
5/5 (5)Category Side DishesCuisine AmericanTotal Time 20 mins See details »
CUISINART FRENCH CUT GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS ... - …
See details »
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS AND HAZELNUTS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
3.5/5 (6)Total Time 30 minsServings 8Calories 88 per serving
- Combine 2 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add green beans; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge beans into ice water; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat. Add shallots, and sauté for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Add beans, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Cook for 2 minutes or until beans are thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS RECIPE - CHOWHOUND
5/5 (15)Total Time 30 minsCategory Side DishCalories 169 per serving See details »
GREEN BEANS WITH SHALLOTS RECIPE | CRATE AND BARREL CANADA
Author Crate And Barrel See details »
A LIFE, LIVED: GREEN BEANS WITH MUSHROOMS AND SHALLOTS
See details »
GREEN BEANS WITH CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
See details »
GREEN BEANS WITH CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
See details »
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #side-dishes #vegetables #easy #dietary #green-yellow-beans #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love