INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN AND RICE
A full meal of soup, poached chicken with dipping sauces, and rice. Modified from Amy+Jacky. April 2018. NOTE: Please read entire recipe! I list all the ingredients at the beginning, and then repeat ingredients by section.
Provided by cowpants13
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8 , 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil; 6 stalks green onions, cut 2 inches long; 2 shallots, roughly chopped; 12 cloves garlic, smashed (a little more than a head); 4 Tbsp ginger, unpeeled, sliced; 4 cups chicken broth; 1 Tbsp sea salt; 8 large chicken thighs (3-4 pounds).
- Heat up the Instant Pot (Saute). When it says HOT, add 2 Tbsp peanut oil. Add green onions, shallot, smashed garlic, and sliced ginger, and saute for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken stock and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add 1 Tbsp of sea salt and mix well. Place all the chicken into the pot; try to submerge them all. Close lid and cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes. When done, turn off the heat and allow to fully Natural Release (about 10-15 minutes). Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath and place a cooling rack over a baking pan.
- When pressure is off, open the lid and carefully remove chicken using kitchen tongs. Place the chicken into the ice bath (or place under running cold tap water). Then place them on the cooling rack to firm up the skin. (Chicken will be served at cool room temperature.). When cool, transfer to a serving dish.
- Strain the chicken stock into a saucepan. Discard the solids. Wipe the Instant Pot clean with a damp paper towel.
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil; 4 cloves garlic, minced; 1 cup broth from pot; 1 cup water; 2 cups Jasmine rice.
- Wipe Instant Pot with a damp paper towel. Heat up Instant Pot (Saute). Meanwhile, rinse rice. When IP says HOT, add 2 Tbsp peanut oil then add the minced garlic. Stir until lightly golden. Add in the Jasmine rice, broth, and water. Close lid and cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat, Natural Release for 10 minutes, and then fully release the pressure. Open the lid and fluff rice with a fork -- it's ready to serve!
- > Sweet soy sauce > Combine 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce, 2 Tbsp shaoxing wine, 2 tsp sugar, 4 drops toasted sesame oil, and 1 Tbsp chicken broth from pot.
- > Green onion ginger sauce > In a small saucepan, heat 3 Tbsp peanut oil. In a small heatproof bowl, combine 2 stalks green onions, finely minced, and 2 Tbsp finely grated peeled ginger. When oil is hot, pour into bowl (it will sizzle!) and stir well. Add salt to taste.
- > Chili sauce > Combine 2 Tbsp hot sauce, 2 Tbsp finely grated peeled ginger, 3 cloves finely minced garlic, juice of 1 lime, and 1 tsp chicken broth from the pot.
- Add 2 cups water to the remaining broth in the pot. Bring to the boil. Add the bok choy and reduce to a simmer. Cook for a few minutes, only until the bok choy is tender-crisp. If you wish, garnish with green onions thinly sliced on the diagonal.
- TO SERVE.
- I like to place everything (soup, chicken, sauces, and rice) on the table, for people to help themselves and condiment their food as they wish. =).
- NOTES * I prefer chicken thighs, but you could substitute whole legs, or breasts. * To cook the chicken on the stovetop, just simmer covered until done. Check after about 30 minutes; chicken should be cooked through but not falling off the bone. * For short-grain rice in the IP, for every cup of rice, use 1 1/2 cups liquid. * You could also cook the rice in a rice cooker; follow rice cooker instructions for proportions of rice and liquid for type of rice. * To substitute for the shaoxing wine, you could use pale dry sherry. For a nonalcoholic alternative, try apple juice or white grape juice; add it before the sugar, then add sugar to taste, so the sauce doesn't become too sweet.
MUST-TRY HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE
My favorite food of all time! Don't be fooled by the simple ingredients. The secret is in the broth: this is the most amazing, flavorsome Chinese chicken rice dish you've ever tried. Garnish with sliced cucumber, sprigs of spring onions, and cilantro.
Provided by Samantha Tan
Number Of Ingredients 24
- Trim chicken of all excess fat, reserving fat.
- Place chicken, spring onion, 3 cloves crushed garlic, and one 1-inch piece ginger in a large pot. Pour in enough water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, skimming any scum off the surface, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, reads 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from the pot, reserving broth. Rub chicken with salt. Chop into pieces and arrange on a serving plate.
- Combine soy sauce, 3 tablespoons reserved chicken broth, 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar, garlic oil, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Drizzle over chicken pieces.
- Melt reserved chicken fat in a large pot over medium heat. Add rice, 3 cloves minced garlic, crushed 1-inch piece ginger, and salt; cook and stir until rice is glossy and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour enough reserved chicken broth into the pot to cover rice by half an inch. Cover; bring to a boil. Cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rice sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine red chile peppers, juice of 2 limes, 2 tablespoons reserved chicken broth, 3 cloves garlic, one 1/2-inch piece ginger, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 pinch sugar in a blender; blend until garlic chile dip is smooth.
- Combine juice of 2 limes, 2 tablespoons reserved chicken broth, 3 cloves garlic, one 1-inch piece ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a blender; blend until ginger dip is smooth.
- Serve garlic chile and ginger dips alongside chicken and rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1047.2 calories, Carbohydrate 129.3 g, Cholesterol 149.4 mg, Fat 29.9 g, Fiber 3.2 g, Protein 60.2 g, SaturatedFat 7.5 g, Sodium 1125.8 mg, Sugar 9 g
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: whole chicken, kosher salt, fresh ginger, fresh scallion, cold water, sesame oil, sesame oil, chicken fat, garlic, fresh ginger, kosher salt, long grain rice, reserved chicken poaching broth, sambal, sriracha, sugar, garlic, fresh ginger, lime juice, reserved chicken poaching broth, fresh ginger, garlic, kosher salt, peanut oil, rice vinegar, reserved fried garlic and ginger, oyster sauce, dark sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce, reserved chicken poaching broth, cucumbers, fresh cilantro
Provided by Matthew Johnson
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 32
- To clean the chicken, rub all over with a handful of kosher salt, getting rid of any loose skin. Rinse the chicken well inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Remove any excess fat from the chicken and set aside for later.
- Season the chicken generously with salt. Stuff the chicken cavity with the ginger slices and scallions.
- Place the chicken in a large stock pot, cover with cold water by 1 inch (2 cm), and season with salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then immediately reduce the heat to low to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (75°C). Remove the pot from the heat.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, reserving the poaching liquid for later, and transfer to an ice bath for 5 minutes to stop the cooking process and to keep the chicken skin springy. Discard the ginger and green onion.
- After it's cooled, pat the chicken dry with paper towels and rub all over with sesame oil. This will help prevent the chicken from drying out.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat ¼ cup (60 ml) of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of reserved chopped chicken fat, the garlic, ginger, and salt, and fry until aromatic, about 10 minutes.
- Reserve ¼ of the fried garlic mixture, then add the rice to the remaining fried garlic and stir to coat. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a rice cooker and add 2 cups (480 ml) of reserved poaching broth. Steam the rice for 60 minutes, or until tender.
- While the rice is cooking, carve the chicken for serving.
- Make the chili sauce: combine the sambal, Sriracha, sugar, garlic, ginger, lime juice, and chicken broth in a small bowl and stir to incorporate.
- Make the ginger garlic sauce: in a small bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, salt, peanut oil, and rice vinegar, and stir to incorporate.
- Make the soy sauce: in a small bowl, combine the reserved fried garlic and ginger with the oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, and chicken broth, and stir to incorporate.
- Serve the sliced chicken with the rice, dipping sauces, sliced cucumbers, and fresh cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1248 calories, Carbohydrate 87 grams, Fat 76 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 47 grams, Sugar 9 grams
More about "hainanese chicken and rice instant pot recipes"
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE | TESTED BY AMY + JACKY
5/5 (82)Total Time 55 minsCategory Dinner, Lunch, Main CourseCalories 481 per serving
- Sauté Green Onions, Shallot, Ginger, Garlic: Heat up pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be when you pour olive oil into the pot (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT). Pour 1 tbsp olive oil in Instant Pot. Add in green onions, minced shallot, minced garlic, and sliced ginger, then sauté for roughly 2 minutes.
- Pressure Cook Chicken Legs: Pour 1 ½ cup of unsalted chicken stock or water in Instant Pot, then deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add in 1 tbsp sea salt, then mix well. Add all the chicken legs in Instant Pot. Close lid and Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes + Full Natural Release (roughly 10 – 15 mins).
- Firm up Chicken Skins: Open the lid and carefully remove the chicken legs from the pot with a pair of kitchen tongs. Plunge the chicken legs in an ice bath or place them under running cold tap water. Then, place them on a metal cooling rack to firm up the chicken skin.
- Filter Chicken Stock: Pour the chicken stock from the pot through a strainer to filter out the solid ingredients. In a measuring cup, mix ½ cup of chicken stock and ½ cup of water together. *Pro Tip: Please ensure it is not too salty as this stock will be used to cook the chicken rice.
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - WOK & SKILLET
4.3/5 (3)Total Time 45 minsCategory ChickenCalories 157 per serving
HAINANESE CHICKEN AND RICE WITH TEA EGGS, CHILI SAUCE AND …
PRESSURE COOKER HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE | INSTANT POT MULTI COOKER …
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - THE WOKS OF LIFE
INSTANT POT CHINESE RECIPES - MOST POPULAR AND EASY INSTA POT …
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - SIMPLY BLESSED
INSTANT POT VS. RICE COOKER ♥ HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE (20 MINUTES)
SINGAPOREAN HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE | INSTANT POT RECIPES
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE || EASY LUNCH/DINNER RECIPE – INSTANT POT …
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE | INSTANT POT HAINAN CHICKEN
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN AND RICE - THE STEAMY …
EASY RECIPE FOR HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE (IN THE INSTANT POT!)
DELICIOUSLY EASY INSTANT POT HAWAIIAN CHICKEN AND RICE BOWLS
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE: THE BEST EASY ONE POT CHICKEN …
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
INSTANT POT - ONE-POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE — GRACIOUSLIKES
INSTANT POT RECIPE – HAINANESE CHICKEN – MY FATHER'S JOY
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE RECIPE | SIDECHEF
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - ASIAN IN AMERICA
BEST HAINANESE CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE …
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - INSTANT POT SINGAPORE
PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN AND RICE | TESTED BY AMY + JACKY
INSTANT POT SINGAPOREAN HAINAN CHICKEN WITH RICE - KIMSTANTPOT
FINALLY! INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN! - THE CANDISHHH TALES
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN AND RICE | RECIPELION.COM
ONE-POT: EASY RICE COOKER HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - THREE KIDS AND A CAT
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE – FLO LUM
EASY HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE RECIPE IN INSTANT POT & RICE COOKER
ASIAN INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND RICE (A PRESSURE COOKER RECIPE)
INSTANT POT ONE STEP HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE | RECIPE CART
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - MARION'S KITCHEN
CHINESE NEW YEAR RECIPE: INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE
RICE COOKER HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - WOK & SKILLET
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE INSTANT POT - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE RECIPE 海南雞飯 – NOMRECIPES.COM
EASY HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE RECIPE IN INSTANT POT & RICE COOKER
INSTANT POT ASIAN CHICKEN : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE | RECIPE CART
PRESSURE COOKER HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - EVERYDAY GOURMET
INSTANT POT HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook Hainanese chicken rice in a pressure cooker?Pressure Cook Hainanese Chicken Rice: Heat up your clean pressure cooker (Instant Pot: press Sauté), pour in 1 tbsp peanut oil, then sauté 2 cloves of minced garlic in the pot. Add in a cup of jasmine rice, then immediately add in the 1 cup chicken stock + water mixture (from Step 4).
How to cook chicken and rice in an Instant Pot?Put rice and water in the Instant Pot Add. Place chicken breast or thighs cut into small pieces on top of the rice. Dump. Pour in the paste Cook. Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 6 minutes, 10 Mins NPR So, of course, I cooked the chicken and the rice in one pot and I used a mix that contains ginger and fat. No really, I use a mix for this.
How to cook chicken stew in an Instant Pot?Pour 1 tbsp peanut oil in Instant Pot. Add in green onions, minced shallot, minced garlic, and sliced ginger, then sauté for roughly 2 minutes. Pour 1 ½ cup of unsalted chicken stock or water in Instant Pot, then deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add in 1 tbsp sea salt, then mix well.
What is Hainanese chicken and rice?Hainanese chicken and rice is a simple dish – high quality whole chicken cooked in a broth with ginger and garlic, and served with rice and a variety of sauces. Simple, but delicious. The chicken is tender and juicy, having been expertly poached in a fragrant broth. Often a cup of the delicious broth is also served with the chicken.