AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN
I'm Jamaican and this is the way my Mama made brown stew chicken. It's traditionally served with rice and peas, sliced tomatoes / avocado and fried ripe plantain. If you cut the chicken into very small pieces, you'll need to reduce the cooking times. Enjoy!
Provided by sanban10
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Squeeze lime over chicken and rub well. Drain off excess lime juice.
- Combine tomato, scallion, onion, garlic, pepper, thyme, pimento and soy sauce in a large bowl with the chicken pieces. Cover and marinate at least one hour.
- Heat oil in a dutch pot or large saucepan. Shake off the seasonings as you remove each piece of chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade for sauce.
- Lightly brown the chicken a few pieces at a time in very hot oil. Place browned chicken pieces on a plate to rest while you brown the remaining pieces.
- Drain off excess oil and return the chicken to the pan. Pour the marinade over the chicken and add the carrots. Stir and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Mix flour and coconut milk and add to stew, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to minimum and cook another 20 minutes or until tender.
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN
I've been wanting to make this for a while since I love any kind of braised or stewed chicken recipes, especially ones that have similar ingredients as jerk chicken. While I might make a few adjustments next time, this really did come out amazingly well. Serve over steamed rice with green peas and garnish with fresh thyme.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Place habanero, thyme, garlic, ginger, light parts of green onions, brown sugar, black pepper, kosher salt, smoked paprika, allspice, and vinegar for marinade into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Make 2 slices into the skin side of each thigh, perpendicular to the bone, about 1 inch apart, cutting all the way down to the bone. Add chicken thighs to the marinade and toss thoroughly until evenly coated. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken and transfer to the refrigerator, 12 hours or overnight. If possible, toss several times during the marinating time.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Scrape off any chunks of marinade from chicken into the bowl and reserve for later.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until almost smoking hot. Add chicken and brown well on both sides, about 5 minutes, working in batches if necessary. Once all the chicken is browned, remove to the marinade bowl and reserve.
- Heat the same pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt; saute in the fat until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook until everything caramelizes and turns a dark brown, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Carefully add chicken broth, ketchup, and bay leaves to the pan; bring to a boil. Add carrots, bell peppers, browned chicken thighs, and reserved marinade.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the centers, and the sauce has reduced and thickened, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, skimming the excess fat that comes to the top and basting the chicken with the sauce occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning. Toss in reserved sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 342.7 calories, Carbohydrate 13.8 g, Cholesterol 91.3 mg, Fat 20.2 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 25.4 g, SaturatedFat 4.8 g, Sodium 1318.6 mg, Sugar 9.6 g
JAMAICAN CHICKEN STEW
Very tasty and easy to make. Another favorite of mine from cooking light. I generally use more curry powder and add jamaican hot sauce.
Provided by AZRT8871
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Combine chicken and the next 5 ingredients (chicken through black pepper) in a bowl. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 477.7, Fat 4.8, SaturatedFat 0.9, Cholesterol 65.8, Sodium 430.2, Carbohydrate 67.6, Fiber 9.9, Sugar 5.8, Protein 37.8
EASY OVEN-COOKED JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN
Try this classic Jamaican one-pot of brown stew chicken with a moreish spicy marinade. Serve with rice and peas and slaw on the side, if you like
Provided by Michelle Miah
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Remove the skin from the chicken, joint it, cut the breasts in half and separate the legs and thighs.
- Put the chicken pieces in a large bowl along with all the marinade ingredients. Toss, then rub the mixture into the chicken. Cover tightly and chill for 24 hrs.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the chicken and marinade into a deep ovenproof dish. Cover and bake for 40 mins, then remove the lid and stir in the sugar, stock, browning sauce and flour mixture. Bake for another 15 mins, uncovered, turning the chicken and basting it every 5 mins.
- Check the chicken is cooked through. If not, bake for 15 mins more, then check again. Taste for seasoning, then scatter with the spring onions and serve with rice and peas and slaw, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 482 calories, Fat 24 grams fat, SaturatedFat 5 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 17 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 13 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 48 grams protein, Sodium 5.2 milligram of sodium
People also searched
More about "jamaican chicken stew recipes"
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE - DIVAS CAN COOK
4.1/5 (18)Category Main, Main CourseCuisine JamaicanTotal Time 50 mins
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly until mixture is very dark brown. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCORCH! The mixture will be very smokey. Reduce heat if needed.
JAMAICAN FRICASSEE CHICKEN RECIPE - BROWN STEW CHICKEN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
JAMAICAN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE - JAMAICANBIKKLE
See details »
AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN - JAMAICAN FOODS AND ...
5/5 (6)Category Main CourseCuisine JamaicanCalories 280 per serving
- Add onion, garlic, scallion, Scotch Bonnet Pepper, thyme, cloves, all-purpose or chicken seasoning, half tsp of salt and the browning. Rub all the ingredients in to the chicken. Once the chicken is fully coated with the seasoning, leave to marinate for about a hour.
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE | RECIPES FROM A PANTRY
Category Dinner, Main CourseCalories 474 per serving
- In a bowl, mix together chicken, green onions, garlic, ginger, paprika, chili (if using), thyme and browning sauce till combined. Then cover and set aside for at least 30 mins, but preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- Then brush off the excess marinade, including green onion, heat oil in a skillet and brown the chicken (in batches if needed). Set aside.
- Remove excess oil from the skillet including any burnt on bits and add onion and peppers and fry for up to 5 minutes until soft. A couple of tablespoons of water will help the onions from softening without burning.
AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN (PALEO) - THAT GIRL ...
4.9/5 (24)Total Time 55 minsCategory MainCalories 849 per serving
- Place the chicken thighs with all of the ingredients for the marinade into a large bowl and rub the entire marinade into the chicken, then store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Scrap off the excess marinade and store in the refrigerator. Proceed to put the chicken in the oven in a roasting pan and roast for 20-25 minutes until brown, making sure to turn over half way through.
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN - MEALS BY MAVIS
4.5/5 (4)Total Time 1 hrCategory MainCalories 373 per serving
- Prepare the chicken by removing the skin, wash the chicken in a bowl (see notes) and pat the chicken dry using paper towels.
- Use the kitchen tongs to take each piece of chicken and shake off the green onions from the chicken. You can tosh out the green onions or preserve it for the sauce. Set the chicken aside on a plate.
JAMAICAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPE - IAN KNAUER | FOOD & WINE
5/5 (1)Category Meat & Poultry Recipes, Chicken RecipesServings 6Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Season the chicken with 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot, then brown the chicken in batches, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer the the to a platter as browned.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, cabbage, bay leaves, Scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, water and worcestershire. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices back to the pot and cover. Simmer the stew until the chicken is very tender, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cooked rice.
SLOW COOKER JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN - IMMACULATE BITES
4.9/5 (54)Total Time 4 hrs 20 minsCategory MainCalories 349 per serving
- Place chicken thighs in a large bowl or slow-cooker insert. Then seasoned with all marinade ingredients- salt, chicken bouillon, garlic, ginger, paprika, white pepper, and thyme. Mix chicken with a spoon or with hands until they are well coated, cover tightly and set aside in the fridge Marinate for about an hour or preferably overnight
- When ready to cook heat up a skillet or large saucepan with about 2 tablespoons oil, and then brown the chicken about 3-4 minutes until chicken is a golden brown: remove and place in the crockpot. Drain any excess oil from the skillet and leave about 2 Tablespoons of oil.
- Add onions, garlic, hot sauce, smoked paprika, bell peppers and salt to taste. Stir for about 2-3 minutes until onions is translucent.
- Then add to crockpot, deglaze the pan with about ¾ cup of water add to slow cooker, together with ketchup, brown sauce and any remaining marinade from the chicken.
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE - GRANDBABY CAKES
4.2/5 (214)Total Time 4 hrsCategory Main CourseCalories 482 per serving
- In a gallon-size plastic storage bag, combine onions, scallions, garlic, brown sugar, browning sauce, thyme, paprika, ginger, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken and massage the marinade into the chicken, tossing well to evenly coat. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 2 hrs or overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and lay them on the baking sheet. Pat off excess marinade with paper towels. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Reserve marinade.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken to the hot oil and fry, turning it occasionally, until deep golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Once all chicken pieces are golden brown, stir in the stock, reserved marinade, carrots, tomatoes, ketchup, allspice and bay leaves.
JAMAICAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
4.5/5 (27)Calories 465 per servingServings 4
- While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Combine chicken and the next 5 ingredients (chicken through black pepper) in a bowl. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Serve over rice.
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE | YUMMLY | RECIPE ...
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 45 minsEstimated Reading Time 6 mins See details »
EASY JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN - THE PRETEND CHEF
Reviews 2Estimated Reading Time 5 mins See details »
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE – COOK LIKE A JAMAICAN
User Interaction Count 131Estimated Reading Time 8 mins See details »
JAMAICAN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE - JAMAICAN MEDIUM RECIPES
4.8/5 (4)Category BreakfastCuisine CuisineEstimated Reading Time 50 secs See details »
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN WITH HERB-ROASTED POTATOES ...
Servings 4-6Calories 649 per servingCategory Dinner, Main Dish See details »
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE - JOTSCROLL
Category Main CourseCalories 289 per serving See details »
AUTHENTIC JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN - JERK TAVERN
See details »
STEW CHICKEN CARIBBEAN RECIPES
See details »
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE VIDEO - YOUTUBE
See details »
JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN - THE JAMAICAN MOTHER
See details »
TOP 10 JAMAICAN RECIPES IDEAS AND INSPIRATION
See details »
12 UNDERRATED JAMAICAN FOOD THAT MORE PEOPLE SHOULD TRY
See details »
JAMAICAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPE BY RYANHERR13 - COOKPAD
See details »
HOW RESTAURANT MAKE JAMAICAN STYLE BROWN STEW CHICKEN ...
See details »
lactose 30-minutes-or-less time-to-make course main-ingredient preparation healthy main-dish poultry rice low-fat chicken stove-top dietary low-sodium gluten-free low-cholesterol low-saturated-fat low-calorie egg-free healthy-2 free-of-something low-in-something meat chicken-breasts pasta-rice-and-grains long-grain-rice equipment
You'll also love