This recipe, adapted from Alon Shaya of Domenica Restaurant, an Italian restaurant in New Orleans, plays on traditional haroseth. Moscato wine takes the place of Manischewitz, and hazelnuts for almonds. A spin on a recipe from Mr. Shaya's mother, Joan Nathan brought it to The Times in 2011.
Provided by Joan Nathan
Categories easy, side dish
Yield 4 1/2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, wine, onions, apples and honey. Simmer over low heat until the onions are transparent, stirring gently so the apples retain their shape, about 15 minutes.
- While apples are simmering, combine figs, dates, apricot preserves, and lemon and orange zests and juices in a food processor. Pulse a few times until combined but not puréed. Transfer to a mixing bowl. When the apple mixture is ready, add it to the bowl and stir gently to combine; there may be excess liquid, which will gradually be absorbed into the fruit.
- Spread hazelnuts or almonds and the pistachios on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a kitchen towel and roll the towel gently to remove the skins. Lightly chop the nuts and add to the bowl. Add salt, allspice, cardamom and cinnamon, and fold gently to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight so flavors meld. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 293, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 57 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 31 milligrams, Sugar 46 grams, TransFat 0 grams
PERSIAN HAROSETH (HALLAQ)
- In a large food processor, combine nuts, raisins, dates and spices. Pulse until nuts are coarsely chopped.
- Add apple, pear and bananas, and pulse until coarsely chop. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 cup pomegranate juice, and 1/2 cup wine. Pulse again, adding more vinegar, juice or wine to taste, as needed to make a coarse paste. Do not purée; mixture should retain some crunch.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 329, UnsaturatedFat 11 grams, Carbohydrate 52 grams, Fat 12 grams, Fiber 7 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 6 milligrams, Sugar 36 grams, TransFat 0 grams
APPLE AND WALNUT HAROSETH
This very classic Ashkenazi haroseth, which is a ceremonial part of the Passover Seder, is made from diced apple, toasted walnuts, a touch of cinnamon and a shower of sweet Passover wine. It's meant to represent the mortar used by the Israelites when they were slaves in Egypt. The sweeter the apples you use, the less honey you'll need to add at the end. But tart apples are nice here, too, as long as you balance their acidity. If you can't get Manischewitz or another sweet Passover wine, ruby port is a fine substitute. You can make this haroseth one day ahead and store it in the refrigerator; just mix it well before serving to reincorporate any liquid that might have seeped out of the mix.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories dips and spreads
Yield 3 1/2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring once or twice, until fragrant and golden-brown at the edges, about 10 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack to cool.
- Finely chop the nuts and place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving. Taste and add more honey and cinnamon, if you'd like.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 224, UnsaturatedFat 14 grams, Carbohydrate 15 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 51 milligrams, Sugar 9 grams
JOAN'S SEVEN FRUIT HAROSET
Joan Nathan, author of "Jewish Cooking in America," prepares several different versions of haroset each Passover. This dessert recipe is loaded with fruit, including pears, apples, and prunes, and is one of her favorites.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes about 6 cups
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine coconut, walnuts, raisins, apples, prunes, pears, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover, about 6 cups. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until thick, about 1 1/2 hours. Add small amounts of water as necessary to prevent sticking. Add jam, remove from heat, and add wine. Stir to combine.
4TH OF JULY FRUIT PARFAIT
This simple, yummy recipe filled with fruit that is PERFECTLY ripe right now, appeared in our local paper this week. PRETTY, refreshing, and VERY patriotic looking.
Provided by Pellerin
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a medium mixing bowl, place the cream cheese, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. Whip with an electric mixer until fluffy. Slowly add whipping cream, a little at a time, and continue beating until the cream is incorporated and the mixture is fluffy.
- Into tall wine glasses or champagne flutes, spoon some blueberries into the glass, then a dollop of whipped cream mixture. Add some strawberries or raspberries, then another dollop of whipped cream. Continue until glass is full, then garnish with mint leaves or lemon balm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 343.1, Fat 28.2, SaturatedFat 17.5, Cholesterol 95.9, Sodium 128, Carbohydrate 20.9, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 15, Protein 4.3
More about "joans seven fruit haroset recipes"
AN AFTERNOON WITH JOAN NATHAN – BARONESS TAPUZINA
20 OF JOANNA GAINES' FAVORITE FOODS | TASTE OF HOME
12 CHAROSETS - YOUR SOURCE FOR KOSHER RECIPES AND JEWISH ...
- BASIC HAROSET. 8-10 large apples. 10-12 ozs. chopped pecans, almonds and/or walnuts. 1 1/2 cup sweet wine. 1 tbsp. cinnamon. 4 tbsp. sugar, or to taste. Peel, core and coarsely chop apples.
- YEMENITE HAROSET. 1/2 lb. pitted dates. 1/4 lb. raisins. 4 dried figs. 1 1/2 c. Sweet wine. walnuts. almonds. 2 Tbsp. Sesame seeds. 1/2 tsp. cumin.
- DESSERT HAROSET FROM ERETZ YISROEL. 2 chopped apples. 6 mashed bananas. 1 juiced and grated lemon. 1 juiced and grated orange. 1-1/4 cup chopped dates. 4 teaspoons chopped candied orange peel.
- SYRIAN HAROSET. 10 large pitted dates. 1/2 cup golden raisins. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. 1/2 orange, zest and juice. 1/2 cup sweet Passover wine. 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- PERSIAN HAROSET. 25 dates, pitted and diced. 1/2 c unsalted pistachios. 1/2 c almonds. 1/2 c golden raisins. 1 1/2 peeled apples, cored and diced. 1 pomegranates.
- SEVEN-FRUIT HAROSET FROM SURINAM. 8 oz unsweetened coconut. 8 oz chopped walnuts or: 8 oz grated almonds. 1/4 c sugar. 1 tbsp cinnamon. 8 oz raisins. 8 oz dried apples.
- SEPHARDIC HAROSET. 1/2 cup grated coconut. 1/2 cup ground walnuts. 1/4 cup sugar. 2 teaspoons cinnamon. 1 cup raisins. 1 cup dried apricots. 1/2 cup prunes.
- LARRY BAIN'S BUBIE'S HAROSET. 1/2 lb walnuts. 1/4 lb dried apricots. 1/4 lb dried prunes, without pits. 3 peeled apples, cored and quartered. 1 lg navel oranges, with skin, quartered.
- VENETIAN CHAROSET. 1+1/2 cups chestnut paste. 1/2 cup pine nuts. 10 ounces dates, chopped. Grated rind of one orange. 12 ounces figs, chopped. 1/2 cup white raisins.
- ASHKENAZIC APPLE-NUT HAROSET. 6 peeled apples, coarsely chopped. 2/3 c chopped almonds. 3 tbsp sugar, or to taste. 1/2 tsp cinnamon. grated rind of 1 lemon.
12 SWEET & SAVORY WAYS TO USE FALL FRUIT, CONCORD GRAPES ...
FIRST COURSE RECIPES - JOANNE WEIR
JOANS JOAN RECIPES | RECIPEBRIDGE RECIPE SEARCH
JOAN NATHANS SEVEN FRUIT HAROSET RECIPES
EASY 4TH OF JULY RECIPES - JO COOKS
JOAN NATHAN'S SEVEN FRUIT HAROSET RECIPE
MIX UP YOUR HAROSET RECIPE THIS PASSOVER WITH A WORLD OF ...
HAROSET RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
JEWISH HOLIDAY COOKBOOK - JOAN NATHAN - SYDNEY JEWISH MUSEUM
JOANS SEVEN FRUIT HAROSET RECIPES
ASTRAY RECIPES: SEVEN-FRUIT HAROSET FROM SURINAM
SEVEN-FRUIT HAROSET FROM SURINAM
JOAN'S SEVEN FRUIT HAROSET RECIPE - PINTEREST.CO.UK
WORLD BEST COCONUT COOKING RECIPES: JOAN NATHAN'S SEVEN ...
You'll also love