SOUTHERN SMOTHERED CABBAGE
- Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on a plate lined with paper towels; reserve bacon grease in the skillet. Crumble bacon into a bowl when cool and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, and red bell pepper to the bacon grease in the skillet. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add cayenne, parsley, mustard, and black pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add cabbage; cover and cook 10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often, until cabbage is wilted and tender, about 10 additional minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar and reserved crumbled bacon to the skillet and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 112.4 calories, Carbohydrate 13.9 g, Cholesterol 10.1 mg, Fat 4.3 g, Fiber 5.6 g, Protein 6.4 g, SaturatedFat 1.3 g, Sodium 254 mg, Sugar 7.3 g
This is a great twist on traditional fried or smothered cabbage - taken from the Tony's Seafood of Louisiana website (who are quoting a Mulate's recipe). How can we go wrong? YUMMO!! My DH brought me a tee back from Mulate's when he was down helping recovery efforts after Hurricane Katrina - needless to say we love the region and the food - and now I can say I "perk" up a bit when I see Mulate's anywhere. I can't wait to get down there myself just to sample my way around the region! How DO I get one of those traveling shows myself? ;)--
Provided by Mommy Diva
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a large saucepan, brown sausage over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cover.
- Cook about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and add seasonings, cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve as a main dish over rice or as a side with some cornbread, of course. ;).
- Enjoy! ;).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 418.1, Fat 32.4, SaturatedFat 10.7, Cholesterol 69.4, Sodium 1564.2, Carbohydrate 16.2, Fiber 6.2, Sugar 9.5, Protein 16.9
SMOTHERED CABBAGE AND ONIONS (SOUTHERN STYLE MEATLESS)
Make and share this Smothered Cabbage and Onions (Southern Style Meatless) recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Tunisia I.E.Al-Sala
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Dice onions, and all other ingredients chop into medium size pieces.
- Place in a medium to large size pot and cover 1/4 the way with water. Add all seasonings and cook on medium for about 30 minutes makings sure to stir every 15 miutes. Make sure you cook until tender.
SOUTHERN FRIED SMOTHERED CABBAGE
- Heat a large, lidded cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and fry until browned but not crispy, about 5 minutes. Quickly add cabbage pieces and water, in that order. Cover the pot with the lid and allow cabbage to steam, about 1 minute. Season with cayenne pepper and salt and boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and reduce heat to a high simmer. Cook until all liquid has evaporated and cabbage is browning in the bottom of the pot and wilted but not soggy, about 10 minutes more. Scrape the bottom of the pot regularly and turn cabbage to prevent sticking.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216.9 calories, Carbohydrate 26.9 g, Cholesterol 20.4 mg, Fat 8.3 g, Fiber 11.5 g, Protein 13.2 g, SaturatedFat 2.7 g, Sodium 594 mg, Sugar 14.6 g
SMOTHERED CABBAGE AND ANDOUILLE
According to the website where I found this recipe, "this dish may be found on the New Year's Day table of every home in south Louisiana. Tradition has it that cabbage eaten on January 1st will ensure financial security in the upcoming year." Recipe: jfolse.com
Provided by Ellen Bales
Number Of Ingredients 9
- 1. Cut cabbage in quarters and discard the center heart and all large, exterior leaves. Chop quarters into 2-3 pieces and separate the leaves.
- 2. In a 4-quart sauce pot, melt bacon drippings over medium heat. Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and andouille. Saute approximately 5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add cabbage and blend well into vegetable mixture.
- 3. Continue to saute until cabbage leaves are wilted. Add chicken stock and reduce heat to simmer. Cover pot and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 45 minutes.
- 4. Season to taste using salt and pepper and continue cooking until cabbage is well smothered. This dish, similar to snap beans, will be overcooked by most standards. However, this is the method preferred by both Cajuns and Creoles.
- 5. NOTE: The original recipe calls for green bell pepper, but all I had were the red, yellow, and orange, so I improvised. You may use either.
More about "louisiana smothered cabbage recipes"
SMOTHERED CABBAGE | REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM: LA CUISINE DE ...
- Lower heat, cover and simmer until meat is done, stirring occasionally. This dish can be served as a side or a main course with hot rice. Smoked sausage is a good substitute for the pork.
RECIPE: LOUISIANA CREOLE SMOTHERED CABBAGE RECIPE - KEILA ...
Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
SMOTHERED CABBAGE | EMERILS.COM
TOP CAJUN RECIPES FROM BATON ROUGE | MILFORD'S ON THIRD
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Cajun Shrimp and Grits. What says Louisiana and the South more than Cajun Shrimp and Grits? This recipe lets you combine the grits you know and love from all your favorite breakfasts with delicious shrimp and gravy.
- Seafood Gumbo. Seafood gumbo is a great food to keep you warm and toasty as the temperatures drop in the winter. Here in Baton Rouge, however, we like our gumbo so much that we tend to eat it year-round, no matter what the temperature is.
- Smothered Chicken. Whether you’re from the South or not, chicken is a staple in many of our kitchens. We eat it grilled, marinated, breaded and chopped up in pasta, rice, salads and sandwiches.
- Seafood Au Gratin. When it comes to dishes that are easy, quick and involve just a handful of ingredients, it’s hard to beat a classic like Seafood Au Gratin.
- Louisiana Crab Cakes. If you’ve ever lived in or visited any seaside city, then you’ve probably sampled crab cakes. A staple of many ocean-side communities, these delicious patties all share many characteristics in common while still taking on a unique flavor and appearance depending on which region they represent.
- Blackened Cajun Shrimp Tacos. Initially, a taco might sound like more of a Mexican recipe than a Cajun food you might find in Baton Rouge. But the beauty of Louisiana is the incredible range of cultures that have all been blended together to create the delightful result that is the Cajun and Creole food scene of today.
- Smothered Cabbage. For the days when there isn’t much left in the cupboards, and it’s time for a trip to the grocery store, squeeze one last meal out of your leftovers with this Smothered Cabbage recipe.
- Pimento Deviled Eggs. It’s easy to try to box in Southern cuisine and claim it’s nothing more than seafood and a few spices. But while Cajun-style cooking does rely heavily on the seafood so naturally abundant throughout Louisiana, not every dish is based around this menu staple.
- Quick Shrimp Dip. Not all of us have time to prepare elaborate meals and snacks. If you’re running short on time but still want to serve your family or guests an authentic Cajun treat, then this Quick Shrimp Dip might be just the ticket.
- Cajun Crawfish Cornbread. No matter what part of the South you’re from, we all enjoy our cornbread. But here in Baton Rouge, we pride ourselves on taking a great everyday recipe and improving it to make it more delicious and more Cajun-styled.
SMOTHERED CABBAGE WITH SMOKED SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS - CREOLE ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
CAJUN SMOTHERED CABBAGE WITH CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE - A ...
- Marinate the chicken with the broth, Worcestershire, hot sauce, garlic powder, paprika and parsley flakes overnight for best results.
- Add the chicken thighs and sausage. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through.
SOUTHERN STYLE SMOTHERED CABBAGE | I HEART RECIPES
- Bring the water to a boil, and cook until the turkey is tender. At this time, there is very little liquid in the pot, but do not get rid of it (It's flavor baby!!)
CAJUN-STYLE SMOTHERED CABBAGE - LIFE'S A TOMATO - RIPEN UP ...
SMOTHERED CABBAGE - SOUTHERN LOUISIANA STYLE | CABBAGE ...
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
CHEF JOHN FOLSE'S COOKBOOK: SMOTHERED CABBAGE - NOLA WEEKEND
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
SMOTHERED CABBAGE WITH BACON - CREOLE CONTESSA
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
EASY SMOTHERED CABBAGE RECIPE - YOUTUBE
SMOTHERED CABBAGE AND ONIONS SOUTHERN STYLE MEATLESS RECIPES
SMOTHERED CABBAGE RECIPE LOUISIANA | DANDK ORGANIZER
LOUISIANA SMOTHERED CABBAGE RECIPE RECIPES WITH ...
LOUISIANA CABBAGE RECIPES
LOUISIANA SOUL - SMOTHERED CABBAGE | FACEBOOK
WENDY'S BACON-SMOTHERED CABBAGE | LOUISIANA KITCHEN & CULTURE
SOUTHERN STYLE SMOTHERED CABBAGE RECIPE WITHOUT PORK …
SMOTHERED CABBAGE - LAFAYETTE PARISH, LOUISIANA
RECIPE: LOUISIANA CREOLE SMOTHERED CABBAGE RECIPE ~ KEILA ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook cabbage in Louisiana Creole Seasoning?Cabbage is cooked when all leaves are wilted and some turn light brown. Add Louisiana Creole Seasoning and cayenne. Return meat to pot, add garlic and butter. Do not cover. Instead, allow remaining water in the pot to evaporate.
How to cook cabbage on the stove top?Cut and clean cabbage leaves. In a 6 quart pot, fry bacon on high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high, add ham, and sausage. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add oil and onion, cook until onion is brown. Reserve the meat & onion in a bowl. Use the same pot, add a little water, reduce heat to medium. Fill the pot with cabbage and cover.
How to cook Ham and cabbage on the stove?Saute diced ham in olive oil on medium heat until lightly browned. Add diced onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes Add chopped cabbage and 2 tablespoons water and cover with lid. Cook on medium for 15 minutes. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Cover again and lower heat and simmer (10-20 minutes) until tender as desired.
What to eat with smothered cabbage?Smothered Cabbage. A simple preparation for cabbage that would be wonderful served alongside ham, pork chops, or pork roast.