MEAT PIE, SOUTHERN VERSION
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the ground beef and ground pork. Cook and stir until the meat is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease. Stir in the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cover and reduce the heat to medium; cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the skillet and put the minced garlic directly on the bottom of the pan. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant, and then blend the garlic with the meat mixture. Add the carrot, potato, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning blend, and salt and pepper.
- Dissolve the bouillon cubes in the hot water in a bowl, and pour it into the meat mixture; mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the carrots are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lay one sheet of puff pastry in the prepared baking dish. Gently press the pastry into the corners and up the sides of the dish. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat into the crust and spread evenly. Avoid adding liquid to the pie. Top with Cheddar cheese.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water. Brush the edges of the bottom puff pastry sheet. Lay the second sheet of puff pastry over the baking dish, pressing with a fork to seal the edges. Brush the surface with egg wash and pierce with a fork several times to vent the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to prevent over-browning (tent with aluminum foil, if necessary). Remove the pie from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 530.3 calories, Carbohydrate 31.4 g, Cholesterol 86.4 mg, Fat 35 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 22.2 g, SaturatedFat 12.9 g, Sodium 491.1 mg, Sugar 2 g
This pie is delicious! I got the recipe from my husband's mother. She is French so I believe this is a French Meat Pie. Beef, pork, and potato are all nicely spiced and baked into a pie. It's yummy and pretty easy to make too! Best served fresh, but you can also make ahead and freeze or refrigerate.
Provided by Lauralane
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place the potato in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, mash, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, crumble the ground beef and pork into a large saucepan, and add the garlic, onion and water. Season with mustard powder, thyme, cloves and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring to crumble the meat and mix in the spices, until the meat is evenly browned. Remove from the heat, and mix in the mashed potato.
- Place one of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie plate. Fill with the meat mixture, then top with the other pie crust. Prick the top crust a few times with a knife to vent steam. Crimp around the edges using the tines of the fork, and remove any excess dough. Cover the edges of the pie crust with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust has browned. Serve by itself, or with a beef gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 381.3 calories, Carbohydrate 28.1 g, Cholesterol 35.6 mg, Fat 23.7 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 13.5 g, SaturatedFat 6.9 g, Sodium 576.7 mg, Sugar 0.7 g
BASIC SHORTCRUST PASTRY
Learn how to make perfect shortcrust pastry every time with our easy recipe. For best results, make sure the butter is cold
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dessert, Main course, Side dish, Vegetable
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Sift 225g plain flour into a large bowl, add 100g diced butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in a pinch of salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface.
- Wrap in cling film and chill while preparing the filling.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 262 calories, Fat 14 grams fat, SaturatedFat 9 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 29 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 0.3 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 4 grams protein, Sodium 0.4 milligram of sodium
AUSSIE MEAT PIE
This recipe is from the Pampas Pastry website. It passes the Susan test for a five star recipe - easy, delicious and looks good too! These pies freeze well. Prepare up to the baking stage, then freeze. Cook from frozen on the day they are required. Hope you enjoy your Aussie Meat Pie - maybe enhanced with a glass of Coonawarra red! Edited to add - some grated/shredded cheese could be added to the mince mixture to make a cheese and mince pie, as per Perfect Pixie's review - great idea - thanks PP!
Provided by NotQuiteVegetarian
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Cook onion and meat until meat is well browned. Add 3/4 cup water, stock cubes, sauces and seasonings, bring to the boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Blend flour with remaining water to make a smooth paste. Add to the meat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously; boil 5 minutes, cool.
- Line a lightly greased pie plate with the shortcrust pastry.
- Spoon in the cooled meat filling.
- Moisten edges of pastry base with water. Top with puff pastry sheet, pressing down gently to seal edges. Trim and score edges. Glaze.
- Bake in very hot oven for 15 minutes, reduce to moderately hot and cook a further 25 minutes or until pastry is goldn.
JAMAICAN BEEF PATTIES (AKA MEAT PIES OR PASTIES)
- Make the crust: Combine flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, and pinch of salt. Cut in 1/4 cup margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Do not overstir; that makes tough crust. Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections. Roll each section into a six inch circle (approximately 1/8 inch thick). Set aside.
- Next, prepare the filling.: Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft and translucent. Stir in ground beef. Season with 1 teaspoon curry powder, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until beef is browned, stirring constantly. Stir in beef broth and bread crumbs. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Now make the patties: Spoon some filling into each pastry circle. Fold over and press edges together, making a half circle. Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each patty with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- NOTE: If you have the time and organization, it might be best to make the filling in advance, long enough to cool down before fillng the pastry. Otherwise, it might melt the pastry somewhat. Just a thought from a review on another recipe.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 329.4, Fat 19.9, SaturatedFat 5.7, Cholesterol 49.4, Sodium 450.4, Carbohydrate 24.3, Fiber 1.3, Sugar 0.7, Protein 12.8
SAVORY MEAT PIE
A friend gave me this recipe after I had mentioned that my meat pies lacked "punch". The pie has a delicious, distinctive flavor thanks to lots of seasonings. Flecks of carrots peek out of each neat slice. My family especially enjoys this dinner when the weather turns chilly. -Paula L'Hirondelle, Red Deer, Alberta
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; mash and set aside. , Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, parsley and chili sauce; remove from the heat. , Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate; brush with mustard. Add the meat mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top crust. , Brush with milk. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 506 calories, Fat 26g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 51mg cholesterol, Sodium 802mg sodium, Carbohydrate 50g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 18g protein.
AUSTRALIAN MEAT PIE
This is The Australian Traditional Meat pie! usually eaten for lunch for just watching the aussie rules footy. You can make 1 big meat pie or more little ones from this recipe!
Provided by elke7612
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Pre-heat oven at 220 degrees Celsius.
- Brown meat and onion.
- Add 3/4 cup of the water, bouillon cubes, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, pepper, oregano, and nutmeg.
- Boil and cover for 15 minutes.
- Blend flour with the remaining 1/4 cup water until it becomes a smooth paste; add to the meat mix.
- Let cool.
- Grease a pie dish and line with puff pastry.
- Add the cooled filling mixture; brush edges of pastry with milk or beaten egg; put the pastry top on; press edges down with a fork.
- Trim edges and glaze top with milk or beaten egg.
- Bake in a very hot oven, 220 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 25 more minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with veggies, fries, or salad.
QUICK PASTY PIE
This is my much quickened version of a pasty, put into pie form. For those who are unfamiliar with pasties, they are a pastry filled with meat, potatoes and onions, then folded into a half-circle. I live in an old mining town and these are still popular from the old days when the men would take them in their lunch boxes.
Provided by Tee Lee
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 8 inch pie, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place crust in an 8-inch pie pan and press into bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine hash browns, ground beef, shredded onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and carrots (if using).
- Place filling into the pie pan and top with second pie crust.
- Seal edges of crusts together and cut vents into the top crust.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until meat is cooked through (I use a meat thermometer).
- Serve topped with beef gravy or ketchup, if desired.
- ***TIP - to prevent the edges of the pie crust from browning to quickly, wrap aluminum foil around the edges of the pie before baking, then remove with 20 minutes left.
Make a homemade pie with Tom Kerridge's pastry recipe. It's easy to adapt - swap the lard for drippings, or simply use butter for a vegetarian version
Provided by Tom Kerridge
Yield Makes 6 individual pies
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Rub the lard and butter into the flour with a generous pinch of sea salt until completely combined. Add the beaten egg and 100ml ice-cold water and mix until you have a soft dough. Transfer to the fridge and chill for at least 1 hr, or until needed.
- Divide the pastry into 12 equal pieces and roll out into rounds on a lightly floured surface. Use six of the rounds to line the bottoms of six individual pie dishes, leaving an overhang. Fill the pies with the mixture of your choice, brush the rims with some of the egg yolk, top with the remaining pastry rounds, then trim and crimp the edges. Decorate with the trimmings, if you like. Glaze with more egg yolk, or as indicated in the filling recipe, and chill until you're ready to cook.
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 6 with a baking tray inside. Put the pies on the hot tray and bake for 30-35 mins until golden. Leave to rest as directed, then serve in the dishes or turn out onto plates.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 763 calories, Fat 41 grams fat, SaturatedFat 20 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 84 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 1 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 13 grams protein, Sodium 0.5 milligram of sodium
NEVER, NEVER FAIL PIE PASTRY
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together water, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Stir into flour mixture and knead dough briefly, just until smooth. Allow to rest 15 minutes before rolling out. Pastry is easier to work with when chilled. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 355.4 calories, Carbohydrate 24.7 g, Cholesterol 49.9 mg, Fat 26.5 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 3.6 g, SaturatedFat 10.3 g, Sodium 135.3 mg, Sugar 0.7 g
GOOD OLD MEAT PIE
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the pie crust out into a 12 inch circle. Set aside.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add potato and onion, and cook until the onion is tender, but not brown. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, and stir to blend. Season with oregano, black pepper and garlic powder. Pour in the beef broth, and add the peas, carrot and beef. Bring to a boil. Transfer the mixture to a 2 quart casserole dish, and place the pastry over the top. Cut slits for steam, and flute the edges.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to thicken.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 757.1 calories, Carbohydrate 47.1 g, Cholesterol 94.6 mg, Fat 46.6 g, Fiber 5.6 g, Protein 36.2 g, SaturatedFat 14.4 g, Sodium 697.1 mg, Sugar 4.4 g
TRADITIONAL MEAT PIE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pie Crust: Mix flour and shortening. Add salt and cold water. Add all the cold water at once and mix delicately. Form a ball and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Once dough is chilled, flour your worktop. Divide dough in half. Roll out 2 pie crusts. One should be slightly larger than the other, this will be your bottom crust.
- Meat Filling: Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the pork and onion and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring often. When pork is cooked remove fat from pan. Add grated potato, salt, pepper, and allspice, to taste. Stir well, and let mixture rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter the bottom of 9-inch pie plate. Place the bottom crust in the pie plate and poke several holes in the crust with a fork. Make sure an ample amount of crust spills over the edges of the pie plate. Fill the crust with the meat mixture. Level with a spatula. Wet edges of bottom crust and place top crust over meat mixture. Press top crust onto meat mixture to eliminate any air holes. Beat together the egg and the milk to make an egg wash. Pinch the crust edges together and brush the top crust with the egg wash.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Slice and serve hot or cold.
NO FAIL PIE CRUST MEAT PIES
My husband and my sons just love these meat pies. It was my husband that showed me how to make this pie crust. And I hope you enjoy them!!!
Provided by Claire Collins
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Pie Crust: Mix ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix well by hand.
- Roll out on a floured surface.
- Meat: Mix together meat, onion, salt and savory.
- Cook for about 1-1 1/2 hours or until meat is well cooked, cool meat, place in lined pie plates, then place pie crust over meat and seal well.
- Bake at 350 F for about 30 to 40 minutes.
ENGLISH PASTRY FOR MEAT PIE
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the water, milk, lard and salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Let simmer until the lard melts.
- Add the liquid to the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to blend thoroughly. This dough should be shaped or rolled while it is still hot or quite warm.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 277, UnsaturatedFat 9 grams, Carbohydrate 27 grams, Fat 17 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 149 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams
More about "meat pie pastry recipe easy"
MEAT PIE WITH HOMEMADE PIE CRUST RECIPE ON FOOD52
Reviews 16Servings 8Cuisine AmericanCategory Entree
10 BEST PUFF PASTRY MEAT PIE RECIPES | YUMMLY
10 BEST BEEF MEAT PIE RECIPES | YUMMLY
MEAT PIE RECIPE MADE WITH LEFTOVER ROAST BEEF - THE SPRUCE EATS
10 BEST GROUND BEEF MEAT PIE RECIPES | YUMMLY
MEAT PIE RECIPE - RECIPE VIBES
TOURTIERE (MEAT PIE) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
10 BEST MEAT FILLED PASTRY RECIPES | YUMMLY
MEAT AND POTATO PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
MEAT PIE RECIPE RECIPE | BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS
PIE MAKER MEAT PIES WITH STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS - EAT, LITTLE BIRD
MEAT PIE RECIPE! | RECIPETIN EATS
MEAT PIE RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN CLASSIC
EASY PASTRY FOR MEAT PIES RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE MEAT PIE FROM SCRATCH - WHEAT PIE RECIPE
EASTER RECIPES: EIGHT EASY MAIN COURSES THAT ARE NOT ROAST LAMB
GREEK MEAT PIE (KREATOPITA) - MY GREEK DISH
SECRETS TO A STABLE AND FLAKY MEAT PIE CRUST - YUMMY MEDLEY
PASTRY FOR MINCE PIES - THERESCIPES.INFO
MEAT PIE RECIPES - BBC FOOD
MEAT PIE PASTRY DOUGH RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
MEAT AND POTATO PASTRY PIE - DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
MEAT PIE PASTRY BEST RECIPES
GROUND BEEF MEAT PIE - AHEAD OF THYME
PIE PASTRY IN UNDER A MINUTE? IT'S POSSIBLE! - CHRISTINA'S CUCINA
HOMEMADE MINI MEAT PIES - LOVEFOODIES
FAMILY MEAT PIE | RECIPETIN EATS
EASY GROUND VENISON MEAT PIES RECIPE | RUSTIC FAMILY RECIPES
EASY & AUTHENTIC SCOTCH PIE RECIPE - SCOTTISH SCRAN
STEAK PIE - REALLY EASY RECIPE WITH PUFF PASTRY AND RICH GRAVY
EASY MEAT HAND PIES RECIPE GROUND MEAT FLAKY PASTRY CRUST
MEAT PIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
EASY BEEF POT PIE - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
CLASSIC MEAT PIE RECIPE WITH STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS | EAT, LITTLE BIRD
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make the best meat pie recipe ever?Learn how to make the best meat pie recipe ever. 2 tablespoon Corn flour or plain flour mix with 2 tablespoon broth to form slurry. Add oil in the pot then add chopped onions. Saute onion for 2 minutes or till translucent then add in minced beef /ground beef. Brown the minced beef then add in black pepper, thyme, worcestershire sauce, and salt.
How do you make the perfect puff pastry pie?Pre-heat oven at 220 degrees Celsius. Brown meat and onion. Add 3/4 cup of the water, bouillon cubes, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, pepper, oregano, and nutmeg. Boil and cover for 15 minutes. Blend flour with the remaining 1/4 cup water until it becomes a smooth paste; add to the meat mix. Let cool. Grease a pie dish and line with puff pastry.
How do you make a pie with pastry strips?Cut the pastry into thin strips. Dampen the rim of a 28 x 38cm/11in x 15in pie dish with water, and line the rim with the strips of pastry. Strain the meat and onions, reserving the sauce. Spread the meat and onions in an even layer in the base of the dish.
How do you cook a beef pie filling?Method For the pie filling, put the beef and onions into a large, lidded saucepan and season with salt. Meanwhile, for the pastry, tip the flour and salt into a bowl, and add the cubes of margarine and lard. Once the meat has been cooking for two hours, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Cook the potatoes in salted water until tender.