CREAM OF POBLANO SOUP
Poblano peppers are a mild Mexican pepper and this soup showcases them beautifully! This is a delicious, rich soup that will transport you to old Mexico! Originally published in a 1995 newspaper food section, from Cavanaugh's Restaurant in Webster, Texas.
Provided by Leslie in Texas
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cut three tortillas into ninths; place in food processor and chop until fine.
- Add flour,chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; blend to the consistency of cornmeal.
- Place oil in stockpot over medium high heat; add onion, 1/2 cup poblano pepper, and garlic and sauté until the onion is transparent.
- Add butter and let it melt.
- Add tortilla-flour mixture to the pan and mix to form a roux.
- Cook 4-5 minutes stirring constantly with a whisk- do not let mixture burn.
- While stirring, slowly add broth, scraping down sides and bottom often.
- Add half and half, bring to a slow simmer and cook 7-10 minutes.
- Do not let soup come to a hard boil.
- Turn off heat and let cool a bit.
- Add chicken before serving.
- Top each serving with shredded cheese, diced poblano pepper and tortillas strips.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill the poblanos skin-side down until blistering, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- While the poblanos are cooling, spray the grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and grill the Cotija cheese on all sides until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Cube the cheese and reserve for garnish.
- Remove and discard the blistered skin from the poblanos. Dice 1 poblano and reserve for garnish. Roughly chop the remaining 2 poblanos.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and the 2 chopped poblanos and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the Jack cheese. Pour in the 1 quart chicken broth and bring to a rolling boil. Add the cilantro. Boil for 30 seconds and then remove from the heat. Carefully puree until smooth with a handheld immersion blender or in 2 to 3 batches in a blender (do not fill the blender more than halfway full per batch). Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by whisking together the cornstarch with 4 teaspoons cold water or chicken broth in a small bowl. Stir the slurry into the soup to thicken. Season with salt.
- Garnish with the pepitas, diced poblano and grilled Cotija cheese.
POBLANO CHICKEN CHEESE SOUP
Low-carb yet filling poblano cream soup with chicken. Make it spicy to your liking. Serve in soup bowls garnished with cilantro, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and/or shredded cheese.
Provided by BracksFour
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Roast poblano peppers over open flame on a gas stove or grill until all sides are charred, 5 to 8 minutes. Place blackened peppers into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam as they cool, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard skins.
- Combine chicken broth, cream cheese, Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, and salsa verde in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Peel the cooled poblano peppers and remove seeds. Finely chop peppers in a food processor.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and cumin. Cook and stir until slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add poblanos and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Pour cheese mixture into a stockpot over low heat. Add the chicken mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook until heated through, at least 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 356.2 calories, Carbohydrate 6.1 g, Cholesterol 108 mg, Fat 25.5 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 25.3 g, SaturatedFat 14.4 g, Sodium 658.2 mg, Sugar 2.3 g
POBLANO CHILE PEPPER SOUP
- Preheat oven to broil. Place poblano chile peppers on a cookie sheet and place in oven. Allow skin to blacken and blister, turning the chile peppers until all sides are done. (Note: Do not overcook.) When they are done, place them in a paper bag and seal. In about 15 to 20 minutes, take them out of the bag and peel the skin off each one under running water. Remove the stems and seeds.
- In a blender, combine the chile peppers, broth, salt and pepper to taste and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk and set aside. In another saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine, add the flour and stir well. Add the warmed milk and stir until well blended. Add the chile pepper mixture and mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 143.1 calories, Carbohydrate 9.3 g, Cholesterol 7.8 mg, Fat 9.2 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 6.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.6 g, Sodium 427 mg, Sugar 6.1 g
BROTHY CHICKEN SOUP WITH HOMINY AND POBLANO
This vibrant, hearty weeknight chicken soup is reminiscent of pozole, and achieved in record time. It starts with a base of onion and poblano pepper spiced with cumin, coriander and oregano. Broth is added, chicken thighs are simmered, then shredded, and cooked hominy is added for heft (though cooked rice would work equally well). The toppings stray from tradition: Crumbled tortilla chips provide crunch, as do snappy radishes; richness comes in the form of avocado or sour cream. Lay out bowls filled with various garnishes and let guests assemble as they like.
Provided by Colu Henry
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium. Add the onion and poblano and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have softened without taking on any color, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano and red-pepper flakes, if using, and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic and spices are fragrant, about 1 minute more. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock and chicken and bring to a simmer. Cook until the chicken has cooked through and is no longer pink, 10 to 12 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot along with the hominy and allow everything to simmer together for 5 to 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Serve with limes, for squeezing on top, and bowls of optional garnishes.
MEXICAN POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH
A discovery for the World Tour 2005. This is another Patricia Wriedt recipe. Epazote is an herb that you may or may not have access to. As I understand it, if you don't have it, just leave it out. There's some very interesting reading about Epazote if you Google it. Happy cooking!
Provided by Elmotoo
Categories Clear Soup
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Saute onion in oil until be transparent.
- Add poblanos and corn; add tomato sauce and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken bouillon, epazote and let cook for 20 minute Season to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 249.1, Fat 6.2, SaturatedFat 1.1, Sodium 1080.2, Carbohydrate 43.3, Fiber 5.7, Sugar 5.6, Protein 11.5
BROCCOLI AND POBLANO SOUP
This creamy soup if just a tad spicy thanks to the Poblano pepper and cayenne. It?s served with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh cilantro.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat the drippings or oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the scallion and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the potato, cayenne, thyme, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are well coated, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli and Poblano pepper and simmer until the potatoes and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a simmer. Remove from the heat, discard the thyme stems and let cool at least 5 minutes. Carefully puree until smooth with a handheld immersion blender or in 2 to 3 batches in a blender (do not fill the blender more than halfway full).
- Reheat the soup if necessary, and adjust the consistency with water and seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream, some cilantro and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
MEXICAN CORN-AND-POBLANO SOUP
- Cut dark-green tops off scallions, and finely chop. Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place scallions, onion, and chiles in skillet, and cook, undisturbed, until charred on bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn vegetables with tongs, and cook, undisturbed, until charred on other side, about 5 minutes. (Vegetables can also be broiled on a baking sheet.)
- Transfer scallions to a blender. Continue turning and charring chiles and onion until charred on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat. Transfer onion to blender.
- Transfer chiles to a bowl, cover immediately with plastic wrap, and let steam 15 minutes. Peel and discard charred skin from chiles, and remove stems and seeds. Halve chiles lengthwise, and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- Add 2 1/2 cups corn, the salt, and 2 cups water to blender. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer puree to skillet. Stir in remaining corn and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk together cornmeal and remaining 3 tablespoons water. Stir into soup along with chiles, and simmer until it has the consistency of porridge, about 2 minutes.
- Divide soup among 6 bowls; garnish with chopped scallion greens, and sprinkle with cheese. Soup can be refrigerated 2 days; let cool completely before refrigerating. Gently reheat in a covered pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
MANCHEGO AND POBLANO SOUP
Manchego, a mild-flavored Spanish cheese, makes this classic Mexican soup a hit. As good as this is when served as a starter, it is also great paired with water crackers for the perfect pre-dinner snack or boiled down until thickened and transformed into an alfredo-like sauce for pasta or poultry. All told, you need to buy about 3 ounces Manchego for this recipe.
Yield serves 6
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Bring a medium-size heavy saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the poblanos and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain the poblanos and transfer them to a blender. Add the onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly (do not brown). Reduce the heat to medium and whisk in the chile mixture. Cook, whisking, for 4 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Whisk in the milk. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, whisking every minute or so to prevent scorching, for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in the grated Manchego cheese. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the soup to bowls, and top with the diced cheese and the potato cubes, and then with the tostadas.
More about "mexican poblano soup with broth recipes"
ROASTED POBLANO SOUP - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
AMAZING ROASTED POBLANO SOUP - MEXICAN APPETIZERS …
ROASTED POBLANO SOUP | MEXICAN PLEASE
ROASTED POBLANO PEPPER SOUP RECIPE INSPIRED BY …
10 BEST POBLANO PEPPER SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
ROASTED POBLANO WHITE CHEDDAR SOUP - THE STAY AT …
POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
3/5 (2)Total Time 40 minsServings 6Calories 79 per serving
CREAMY POBLANO SOUP - PATI JINICH
CREAMY CHICKEN POBLANO SOUP - MOM'S DINNER
MEXICAN CORN CHOWDER + VIDEO - KEVIN IS COOKING
MEXICAN POBLANO SOUP RECIPES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
BEEF AND POBLANO ENCHILADA SOUP - WILL COOK FOR SMILES
SOUPER BROTH | MEXICAN PLEASE
ROASTED POBLANO SOUP RECIPE – MOM'S MEXICAN RECIPES
10 BEST POBLANO QUESO SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
RECIPE: POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH (MEXICAN)
POBLANO SOUP (CREMA DE POBLANO) - HILDA'S KITCHEN BLOG
POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH (MEXICAN) - COMPLETERECIPES.COM
FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH ROASTED POBLANO - FOR THE LOVE OF COOKING
POBLANO JALAPEñO CALDO DE ALBONDIGAS(MEATBALL SOUP)
MEXICAN POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH - PLAIN.RECIPES
POBLANO SOUP RECIPE – RANCHO GORDO
MEXICAN ROASTED POBLANO AND CORN SOUP - LIFE CURRENTS
CREAMY POBLANO PEPPER SOUP - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
MEXICAN POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH RECIPE ~ MENUIVA.COM
MEXICAN POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH RECIPE - YOUTUBE
BEST CREAMY POBLANO SOUP, VEGAN | BROWNSUGAR&VANILLA
HOW TO MAKE POTATO POBLANO SOUP RECIPE - MEXICAN RECIPES
RECIPES > SOUPS > HOW TO MAKE POBLANO SOUP WITH BROTH
CREAMY POBLANO SOUP - PATI JINICH
CHICKEN POBLANO SOUP WITH HOMINY | COOKING ON THE RANCH
ROASTED POBLANO AND CORN SOUP - MAMá MAGGIE'S KITCHEN
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #clear-soups #soups-stews #vegetables #mexican #easy #dietary #corn #peppers #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love