- In a large bowl, mix together 1/3 cup condensed French onion soup with ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper. Shape into 6 oval patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties. Pour off excess fat.
- In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth. Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder. Pour over meat in skillet. Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
TRADITIONAL SALISBURY STEAK
"Salisbury steak is a favorite comfort food for us," says Naomi Olson of Hamilton, Michigan. "I serve this with mashed potatoes, buttered corn and a salad."
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into two patties; dredge in 2 tablespoons flour. In a small skillet, brown patties on both sides in oil; drain. Set patties aside., Add the remaining flour to the skillet; whisk in water until smooth. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon. Add the onion and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Return patties to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Serve gravy over patties.
SALISBURY STEAK WITH MUSHROOMS
A great from-scratch salisbury steak and gravy recipe I found a long time ago. The mushroom and onion gravy is wonderful over mashed potatoes or rice. The gravy is still good without mushrooms. I've made it for my husband that way.
Provided by Krystal Wetter
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, chopped onion, egg, salt, and black pepper in a bowl until evenly mixed. Shape beef mixture into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Fry patties in a large skillet over medium heat until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Add beef broth, onion, and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until patties are no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes more. Transfer patties to a platter and keep warm.
- Bring onion mixture to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl; stir into onion mixture. Cook and stir until onion gravy is thickened, about 1 minute. Pour over patties to serve.
BACON SALISBURY STEAK
Bacon gives this saucy steak from Joanne Rocchetti in New London, Connecticut a satisfying, smoky flavor. Tip idea: Serve with a jar of gravy.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 1 serving.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Meanwhile, place beef mix in a small bowl; stir in parsley and onion. Shape into a patty; coat with flour. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towel to drain., In the drippings, brown the patty on both sides. Add gravy and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Top with bacon.
SALISBURY STEAK WITH VEGGIES
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine beef, onion, green pepper, celery, carrot, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add enough milk to moisten the mixture. Shape mixture into small patties.
- Arrange patties in the prepared pan.
- Mix beef broth, tomato sauce, mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce in another bowl. Pour sauce over patties.
- Bake in the preheated oven until patties are no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour.
Treat your family to Ree Drummond's Salisbury Steak recipe from The Pioneer Woman on Food Network; smother the beef patties in gravy for a rib-sticking meal.
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- For the meat mixture: Combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, ketchup, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon and some salt and pepper. Knead until all combined. Form into 4 to 6 oval patties, and then make lines across the patties to give them a "steak" appearance.
- Fry the patties in a skillet with the butter and oil over medium-high heat on both sides until no longer pink in the middle. Remove from the skillet and pour off any excess grease.
- For the gravy: Reduce the heat to medium and add in the sliced onions. Stir and cook until golden brown and somewhat soft, for several minutes. Add the beef stock, ketchup, seasoning sauce, if using, and the Worcestershire. Then combine the cornstarch with a little beef broth and add to the sauce if using. Stir and cook to reduce.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and more broth if needed for thinning. Then return the patties to the gravy. Spoon the gravy over the top and let them simmer and heat back up for a couple of minutes.
People also searched
More about "salisbury steak origin recipes"
HOW TO COOK THE BEST SALISBURY STEAK (HOMEMADE EASY) - EAT ...
2020-03-14 · Good Trivias and Origin of Salisbury Steak. Cow’s meat patties first existed in ancient Roman Recipes that may have dated back as early as the 4th century. The preparation was called isicia omentata. Isicia Omentata was said to be the first burgers to be ever created in history…
- Scoop around 4 tablespoons of mixture and roll into a ball. Flatten and place in a clean plate. Set aside.
SALISBURY STEAK RECIPE : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
2012-01-23 · Heat a skillet over medium heat for about a minute, and then add Butter. Place meat patties in skillet and brown on both sides for about 4-5 minutes each. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add the sliced Onion into the skillet, …
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Beef, Black Pepper, Salt, Garlic Powder, Worcestershire Sauce, Bread Crumbs and one whole Egg. Stir mixture together well.
- Place meat patties in skillet and brown on both sides for about 4-5 minutes each. Remove from skillet and set aside.
SALISBURY STEAK - CLASSIC AMERICAN COMFORT - COOKTHESTORY
2021-05-03 · Salisbury Steak is an American classic comfort food with a really interesting origin story. It actually started out as a health food and was prescribed by Dr. Salisbury…
- While breadcrumbs are soaking, combine beef broth and cornstarch in a measuring cup or medium bowl, stirring to create a smooth, lump-free slurry. Set aside.
- At this point the bread cubes should have soaked up most of the liquid and are ready to be smashed with the back of a spoon or your fingers.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, panade (breadcrumb mixture), ketchup, mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and bouillon.
SALISBURY STEAK | PALEO LEAP
A Salisbury steak isn’t really a kind of steak; it’s more like a hamburger patty that got dressed up for a special occasion. Today, it’s mostly associated with TV dinners, but it doesn’t have to be something you unwrap from a plastic tray and stick in the microwave! The “steaks” in this recipe …
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HOMEMADE SALISBURY STEAKS | ALLRECIPES
2020-07-16 · This Salisbury steak recipe starts with lean ground sirloin and features a mushroom gravy flavored with dry onion soup mix and beef stock. "I was tired of boring, tasteless Salisbury steak recipes…
SALISBURY STEAK WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY RECIPE
2012-01-17 · In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties, about 4 to 5 min on each side. Set aside on a dish. Add mushrooms to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and sauté 2-3 minutes. Return patties to the skillet …
- In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions, ground beef, ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, egg white, 1/4 cup beef broth, salt and black pepper. Shape into 8 oval patties.
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties, about 4 to 5 min on each side. Set aside on a dish.
SALISBURY STEAK - JO COOKS
2020-04-29 · Everyone needs a good Salisbury Steak recipe for their weekly dinner rotation! While it tastes like an absolute treat, this meal is made with a simple ground beef patty and a rich mushroom gravy. Equipment 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet. Ingredients. Salisbury Steak …
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, using your clean hands. Divide into 6 equal pieces and form each one into oval patties.
- In a large skillet add the olive oil and butter and heat until melted over medium-high heat. Add the meat patties and fry on both sides until no longer pink in the middle, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the patties to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the sliced onions and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms, if using, and cook for a few more minutes until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and stir. In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch with a bit of water or beef broth and add to the skillet. Whisk until the sauce thickens, for about 2 minutes.
EASY SALISBURY STEAK RECIPE (AFFORDABLE FAMILY MEAL)
2021-08-20 · Instructions. Mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, french onion mix, egg and water. Shape the mixture into 4 oval-shaped patties, about 1/2 inch thick. Spray a large skillet with cooking …
See details »
EASY SALISBURY STEAK • SALT & LAVENDER
2021-04-23 · This Salisbury Steak recipe is a comfort food classic with ground beef patties smothered in a delicious mushroom and onion gravy. It's simple to make and uses everyday ingredients. Salisbury Steak is an American staple. According to the internet, it's been around since the late 1800s when James Salisbury invented it. I won't include more details here, but if you're curious, its history …
- Add all the beef patty ingredients (except for the olive oil) to a fairly large prep bowl. Using your hands, mix it together and then form 4 patties (oval shape and aim for the same thickness of about 1/2-3/4" or so for each patty).
- Fry the beef patties for 5-6 minutes/side or until they're nicely browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
OLD FASHIONED SALISBURY STEAK - FOX VALLEY FOODIE
THE INTERESTING HISTORY BEHIND SATISFYING SALISBURY STEAK
2019-02-02 · Salisbury steak as a product, can be a mix of different proteins. Per the United States Department of Agriculture standards, Salisbury steak must have a minimum meat content of 65%, and up to 25% of that can be derived from pork. If the pork meat is de-fatted, the limit is 12% pork meat in the constitution of the Salisbury steak. No more than ...
EASY AND DELICIOUS EASY SALISBURY STEAK - COOKIES AND CUPS
2021-07-08 · This easy and delicious Salisbury Steak recipe is an updated version of the classic! This quick to make juicy steak is packed with flavor, covered in brown gravy, onions and mushrooms. Ingredients: Steak: 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef; 1/2 cup breadcrumbs; 1/4 cup finely diced onion; 2 teaspoons dry mustard; 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon kosher salt; 1/2 teaspoon …
MAKE AHEAD SALISBURY STEAK | LADY MELADY: MY CASTLE, MY FOOD
2018-04-09 · It seemed like everywhere I turned one week someone was posting a Salisbury steak recipe. I’d recently made Swiss steak, a fond memory of my childhood and Salisbury steak also fit into that category. Again, as I mentioned in the Swiss steak post, I was mostly all about the gravy. I liked to put it on white bread. Yes, a carb nightmare. I’ve grown up since then. When I researched the origin ...
THE HISTORY OF SALISBURY STEAK AND CENTRAL NEW YORK ...
2019-05-02 · James Salisbury. If you’ve ever wondered how that deliciously puzzling patty was named, it was for the guy who first created it. James Henry Salisbury is from the Central New York region and was born in Scott, New York in Cortland County on January 12, 1823.. Later in 1844, Salisbury earned a degree in Natural Sciences from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy.
SALISBURY STEAK RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
A great from-scratch salisbury steak and gravy recipe I found a long time ago. The mushroom and onion gravy is wonderful over mashed potatoes or rice. The gravy is still good without mushrooms. I've made it for my husband that way. By Krystal Wetter. Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy. Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy . Rating: 4.61 stars. 4047 . An easy-to-make classic …
See details »
SALISBURY STEAK WITH ONION GRAVY - KITCHEN DIVAS
2021-08-02 · History of Salisbury Steak. The funny thing about Salisbury steak is that it’s essentially just a rebranding of hamburger steak. It’s true! Hamburger steak as we know it today was once called Hamburg steak. The dish originated in, you guessed it, Hamburg, Germany. During the 19th century, Hamburg was a common port for transatlantic travel, and that meant many German immigrants. As …
See details »
SALISBURY STEAK - WIKIPEDIA
Hamburg was a common embarcation point for transatlantic voyages during the first half of the 19th century and New York City was the most common destination. Various New York restaurants offered Hamburg-style American fillet, or even beefsteak à Hambourgeoise. Early American preparations of minced beef were therefore made to fit the tastes of European immigrants.
See details »
SALISBURY STEAK MUSHROOM GRAVY - HAPPY HOMESCHOOL NEST
2021-09-18 · What do you need to make Salisbury Steak Mushroom Gravy. Steak: 1 1/2 pounds ground beef . 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs . 2 large eggs, room temp . 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce . 1 teaspoon onion powder . 1 teaspoon garlic salt . 2 teaspoon mustard powder . 1/4 teaspoon salt . ¼ teaspoon black pepper . 3 tablespoon olive oil . Mushroom ...
See details »
SALISBURY STEAK RECIPE - THIS SILLY GIRL'S KITCHEN
2021-08-23 · The rest is history, literally! HOW TO STORE: This Salisbury Steak Recipe can be stored in an airtight container or ziptop bag in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. These can also be frozen, to do this let the steaks cool completely then place them in a freezer bag with gravy and they should keep for up to 2 months in the freezer. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a skillet ...
See details »
SALISBURY STEAK RECIPES : FOOD NETWORK | FOOD NETWORK
Salisbury Steak with Wild Mushroom Gravy, Smashed Potatoes with garlic and Herb Cheese and Chives, Creamed Spinach. Recipe | Courtesy of Rachael Ray.
See details »
SALISBURY STEAK RECIPE - BALANCINGMOTHERHOOD.COM
This easy Salisbury Steak recipe is classic comfort food like your mom used to make. It’s perfectly seasoned beef patties served with a rich brown gravy. Add some mashed potatoes and a fresh vegetable and it’s a complete comfort meal. Salisbury Steak Recipe. This homemade salisbury steak recipe is a super easy way to make a special dinner without all the fuss (or expense). Simply make ...
See details »
ORIGIN OF RECIPE
salisbury steak origin recipes. nachos origin recipes. easy unprocessed food recipes. orange chicken origin recipes. easy apple strudel with puff pastry. jerk recipes origin . utopia origins recipes. More recipes about "origin of recipe" NAAN BREAD RECIPE & HISTORY - ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW! From philosokitchen.com 2017-05-08 · All the time we talk about bread, the origin of the recipe roots ...
See details »