For a seafood supper tonight, try Alton Brown's foolproof Seared Scallops recipe. The trick is to add a touch of butter to the pan for a golden sear.
Provided by Alton Brown
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Add the butter and oil to a 12 to 14-inch saute pan on high heat. Salt and pepper the scallops. Once the fat begins to smoke, gently add the scallops, making sure they are not touching each other. Sear the scallops for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. The scallops should have a 1/4-inch golden crust on each side while still being translucent in the center. Serve immediately.
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cumin, curry, thyme, and paprika. In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Dredge the scallops in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour, and add to the hot saute pan. Cook scallops for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer the scallops to a plate, drizzle with pesto, and serve with the basmati rice on the side.
- Add all ingredients to food processor except for the olive oil, salt and pepper. Process until the ingredients form a paste. With the motor running, add the olive oil in a stream until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a medium saucepan, add rice, water and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook the rice without stirring for 12 to 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with scallops.
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS, WASABI CAVIAR AND SEAWEED SALAD
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the hot pan and heat 30 seconds. Add the scallops and sear 1 side until well-browned, about 3 minutes. Do not shake the pan or move the scallops until ready to turn. Using tongs turn the scallops to brown the second side. Cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and add the shallots to the still hot pan. Return to the heat and cook for 30 seconds before adding the sherry. When the sherry begins to boil swirl in the butter. Do not let the butter boil or separate.
- Toss the vegetables with the remaining olive oil. Make a small mound of vegetables in the center of a plate, place 3 small mounds of pickled seaweed around the perimeter and place a scallop on each mound of seaweed. Top the scallop with wasabi caviar, spoon some sherry butter over the top and serve.
SEARED BLACK COD WITH CREME FRAICHE, CAVIAR, TOBIKO AND BLACK TRUFFLE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season a pot of boiling water generously with salt. It should be as salty as the sea. Prepare an ice bath and season generously with salt. Add the haricot verts to the boiling water and cook until bright green and tender, but still slightly crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the haricot verts and immediately plunge into the ice bath and set aside.
- To the same pot of water, add half of the cauliflower florets and cook until very soft and tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, transfer to a blender and set aside. Heat a medium sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and sweat until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add half of the shallots to the blender with the blanched cauliflower. Add the heavy cream and creme fraiche, then puree until smooth. If the mixture seems too thick, add a bit more heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and set the cauliflower puree aside.
- Toss the remaining cauliflower florets in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt to taste, then transfer to a half sheet pan. Place in the oven to roast, tossing halfway through, until brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to the pan with the remaining shallots, add the blanched haricot verts and a pinch of salt and toss over medium heat just until the haricot verts are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Pat the skin on the cod fillets dry, then season both sides with salt. Heat a large nonstick pan with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Coat the bottom of another pan with some olive oil. Place the fillets skin-side down in the first pan, top them with the second pan and firmly press down on it for a few seconds. Cook until the skin is crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the second pan, flip the fillets and cook until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter skin-side up and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- To serve: Put a spoonful of cauliflower puree on each plate and top with the haricot verts, roasted cauliflower florets and then the seared cod, skin-side up. Garnish with caviar, red tobiko, chives and black truffle.
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS WITH CRèME FRAîCHE AND CAVIAR
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Cook scallops until golden on bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn over; sauté until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. Cool to room temperature.
- Top each scallop with 1/2 teaspoon crème fraîche. Top with caviar. Garnish with chives and serve.
SEARED SCALLOPS AND JALAPENO CHEESE, WITH SHAVED APPLE CREME FRAICHE
- Peel, core and chop 1 of the apples and add to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sugar and the butter. Cook until the apple is very soft. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes, then add to a blender with the 1/4 cup of creme fraiche. Blend until pureed and transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Dry the scallops with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper. Make a small pocket in the middle of each scallop and fill the pocket with grated cheese.
- Heat the oil a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the scallops and cook without moving until the bottoms are golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn over and brown the other side. Remove from the pan to a platter and allow to rest for a couple of minutes.
- To serve, spoon some of the apple creme fraiche on each plate and top with 2 scallops Peel the remaining apple and shave or grate a little apple over the top of the scallops for garnish. Enjoy.
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH CREAMED CORN
- Slice the kernels off 4 ears of corn. Grate the remaining 2 ears on the large holes of a box grater.
- Bring 1/2 cup water, the vinegar, sugar and a big pinch of salt to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove from the heat; add the sliced red onion and set aside to pickle, at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the diced red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the evaporated milk and grated corn. Simmer until thick, 5 to 7 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook, undisturbed, until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until cooked through, about 1 more minute.
- Divide the corn among bowls and top with the scallops. Drain the pickled onion, reserving 2 teaspoons of the liquid. Toss the onion and liquid with the tomatoes, basil and parsley; season with salt. Add to each bowl.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 470, Fat 15 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Cholesterol 41 milligrams, Sodium 903 milligrams, Carbohydrate 55 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 32 grams, Sugar 21 grams
SEARED BUTTER SEA SCALLOPS
I just found out that I love scallops. I had them a couple of times and wasn't sold on them . I tried this recipe and now I love them! I didn't use wine ( had none Sprinkled with a little lemon instead.
Provided by nancy 1
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Rinse scallops and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter or margarine and the garlic; cook and stir until butter is melted.
- Dredge scallops in flour mixture, add to skillet and cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes or until scallops turn opaque.
- Remove scallops and add wine to skillet and stir for l minute.
- Drizzle wine mixture over scallops and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 436.3, Fat 13.6, SaturatedFat 7.5, Cholesterol 105.6, Sodium 596.6, Carbohydrate 31.5, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 0.3, Protein 41.9
CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH SEARED SCALLOPS, LEMON OIL AND CAVIAR
From the October 2006 edition of Bon Appetit Magazine, this submission is from Alfred Portale of Gotham Bar and Grill. Now that imported caviar is no longer available, the domestic stuff is all the rage. Paired with lemon oil (sold at many markets), it's the ultimate garnish. Omit scallops and caviar to make this dish vegetarian.
Provided by Raquel Grinnell
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, broth, and cream. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer gently until cauliflower is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Puree soup in small batches in blender until smooth. Return to same saucepan. Season soup with kosher salt and white pepper.
- Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.
- Blanch leek in small saucepan of boiling salted water 1 minute; drain. Place some of leek in center of each bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over high heat. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Sear until brown and just opaque in center, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Place 1 scallop on leek in each bowl; top scallop with caviar. Ladle soup around scallop, drizzle with 1 teaspoon lemon oil, and sprinkle with chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 375.5, Fat 34.9, SaturatedFat 15.6, Cholesterol 114.5, Sodium 198.7, Carbohydrate 11.1, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 3.1, Protein 7.3
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the scallops and place them in the pan. Whatever you do, do not move the scallops at all until ready to flip.
- Sear the scallops on each side for 1.5 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 155.3, Fat 7.1, SaturatedFat 2.4, Cholesterol 45.1, Sodium 203.6, Carbohydrate 2.7, Protein 19.1
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH LEEKS AND CAVIAR SAUCE
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender but not brown, about 20 minutes. Add Champagne and boil until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 4 minutes. Transfer leek mixture to strainer set over bowl. Press on leeks to extract as much liquid as possible. Transfer leeks to small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return liquid to same skillet. Add cream and boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Transfer sauce to bowl; cool 1 hour.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add scallops to skillet and sauté until just cooked through and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side for each batch. Transfer to plate.
- Spoon leeks in 5 small mounds around rim of each plate, spacing equally. Top each mound with 1 scallop. Stir caviar and tarragon into sauce. Spoon sauce into center of each plate.
More about "seared sea scallops with crme frache and caviar recipes"
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH OSETRA CAVIAR AND POTATO-CHIVE …
5/5 (7)Servings 8Cuisine <a Href="/Recipes/Us" Hreflang="En">U.S.</A>Total Time 50 mins
SCALLOPS WITH POTATO PANCAKES AND CAVIAR SAUCE - FOOD
RECIPE: PAN-SEARED SCALLOPS & CAPER BUTTER WITH RED RICE
SEARED BLACK COD WITH CREME FRAICHE, CAVIAR, TOBIKO AND BLACK …
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS - STAGE.ELEMENT.ALLRECIPES.COM
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS RECIPE - JOACHIM SPLICHAL - FOOD & WINE
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH CRèME FRAICHE AND CAVIAR RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH CAVIAR, CREAMY CAULIFLOWER PUREE AND …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you serve seared sea scallops with crème fraîche?Top each scallop with 1/2 teaspoon crème fraîche. Top with caviar. Garnish with chives and serve. How would you rate Seared Sea Scallops with Crème Fraîche and Caviar?
What is the best way to cook scallops?Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the scallops and place them in the pan. Whatever you do, do not move the scallops at all until ready to flip. Sear the scallops on each side for 1.5 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve. “Fast and delicious. An under 5 minute meal.”
How do you add crème fraiche to spaghetti sauce?Strain the sauce into another small saucepan. Stir in the crème fraîche and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
How do you make scallop cakes with potatoes?Coarsely shred the potatoes and squeeze out any excess liquid. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the egg, matzo meal, onion and a large pinch of salt. Shape the mixture into 20 scallop-size cakes, about 1/2 inch thick; press the cakes to compress them.