SEARED SEA SCALLOPS
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cumin, curry, thyme, and paprika. In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Dredge the scallops in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour, and add to the hot saute pan. Cook scallops for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer the scallops to a plate, drizzle with pesto, and serve with the basmati rice on the side.
- Add all ingredients to food processor except for the olive oil, salt and pepper. Process until the ingredients form a paste. With the motor running, add the olive oil in a stream until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a medium saucepan, add rice, water and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook the rice without stirring for 12 to 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with scallops.
For a seafood supper tonight, try Alton Brown's foolproof Seared Scallops recipe. The trick is to add a touch of butter to the pan for a golden sear.
Provided by Alton Brown
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Add the butter and oil to a 12 to 14-inch saute pan on high heat. Salt and pepper the scallops. Once the fat begins to smoke, gently add the scallops, making sure they are not touching each other. Sear the scallops for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. The scallops should have a 1/4-inch golden crust on each side while still being translucent in the center. Serve immediately.
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH CREAMED CORN
- Slice the kernels off 4 ears of corn. Grate the remaining 2 ears on the large holes of a box grater.
- Bring 1/2 cup water, the vinegar, sugar and a big pinch of salt to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove from the heat; add the sliced red onion and set aside to pickle, at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the diced red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the evaporated milk and grated corn. Simmer until thick, 5 to 7 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook, undisturbed, until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until cooked through, about 1 more minute.
- Divide the corn among bowls and top with the scallops. Drain the pickled onion, reserving 2 teaspoons of the liquid. Toss the onion and liquid with the tomatoes, basil and parsley; season with salt. Add to each bowl.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 470, Fat 15 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Cholesterol 41 milligrams, Sodium 903 milligrams, Carbohydrate 55 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 32 grams, Sugar 21 grams
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the scallops and place them in the pan. Whatever you do, do not move the scallops at all until ready to flip.
- Sear the scallops on each side for 1.5 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 155.3, Fat 7.1, SaturatedFat 2.4, Cholesterol 45.1, Sodium 203.6, Carbohydrate 2.7, Protein 19.1
SIMPLY SEARED SCALLOPS
- Pat sea scallops dry with paper towels. Season with some lemon juice, salt, and pepper on one side.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over high heat. Place scallops in the skillet seasoned-side down. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Season with remaining lemon juice, salt, and pepper; flip. Continue cooking until opaque, about 2 minutes more. Garnish with lemon zest.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 170.2 calories, Carbohydrate 2.7 g, Cholesterol 38.9 mg, Fat 9.3 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 18 g, SaturatedFat 2.1 g, Sodium 320.2 mg
SEARED BLACK COD WITH CREME FRAICHE, CAVIAR, TOBIKO AND BLACK TRUFFLE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season a pot of boiling water generously with salt. It should be as salty as the sea. Prepare an ice bath and season generously with salt. Add the haricot verts to the boiling water and cook until bright green and tender, but still slightly crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the haricot verts and immediately plunge into the ice bath and set aside.
- To the same pot of water, add half of the cauliflower florets and cook until very soft and tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, transfer to a blender and set aside. Heat a medium sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and sweat until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add half of the shallots to the blender with the blanched cauliflower. Add the heavy cream and creme fraiche, then puree until smooth. If the mixture seems too thick, add a bit more heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and set the cauliflower puree aside.
- Toss the remaining cauliflower florets in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt to taste, then transfer to a half sheet pan. Place in the oven to roast, tossing halfway through, until brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to the pan with the remaining shallots, add the blanched haricot verts and a pinch of salt and toss over medium heat just until the haricot verts are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Pat the skin on the cod fillets dry, then season both sides with salt. Heat a large nonstick pan with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Coat the bottom of another pan with some olive oil. Place the fillets skin-side down in the first pan, top them with the second pan and firmly press down on it for a few seconds. Cook until the skin is crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the second pan, flip the fillets and cook until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter skin-side up and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- To serve: Put a spoonful of cauliflower puree on each plate and top with the haricot verts, roasted cauliflower florets and then the seared cod, skin-side up. Garnish with caviar, red tobiko, chives and black truffle.
SEARED SCALLOPS AND JALAPENO CHEESE, WITH SHAVED APPLE CREME FRAICHE
- Peel, core and chop 1 of the apples and add to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sugar and the butter. Cook until the apple is very soft. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes, then add to a blender with the 1/4 cup of creme fraiche. Blend until pureed and transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Dry the scallops with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper. Make a small pocket in the middle of each scallop and fill the pocket with grated cheese.
- Heat the oil a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the scallops and cook without moving until the bottoms are golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn over and brown the other side. Remove from the pan to a platter and allow to rest for a couple of minutes.
- To serve, spoon some of the apple creme fraiche on each plate and top with 2 scallops Peel the remaining apple and shave or grate a little apple over the top of the scallops for garnish. Enjoy.
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS, WASABI CAVIAR AND SEAWEED SALAD
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the hot pan and heat 30 seconds. Add the scallops and sear 1 side until well-browned, about 3 minutes. Do not shake the pan or move the scallops until ready to turn. Using tongs turn the scallops to brown the second side. Cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and add the shallots to the still hot pan. Return to the heat and cook for 30 seconds before adding the sherry. When the sherry begins to boil swirl in the butter. Do not let the butter boil or separate.
- Toss the vegetables with the remaining olive oil. Make a small mound of vegetables in the center of a plate, place 3 small mounds of pickled seaweed around the perimeter and place a scallop on each mound of seaweed. Top the scallop with wasabi caviar, spoon some sherry butter over the top and serve.
SCALLOPS WITH POTATO PANCAKES WITH CAVIAR SAUCE
Recipe by Vinny Dotolo and Jon Shook. Vinny Dotolo found inspiration for this elegant dish by thinking about New Year's Eve classics. Both Champagne and caviar flavor the butter sauce that he spoons over seared scallops set on mini potato pancakes F&W Magazine, Januaey 2010 edition. From: Dinner Party for a New Decade.:) Lovely! Wine Pairing: Just as Champagne pairs well with caviar, so does sparkling Vouvray, which is a bit richer and fruitier. Two to try with these scallops in caviar sauce are the bright NV François Pinon Vouvray Brut and the lightly herbal NV Champalou Vouvray Pétillant Brut.
Provided by Manami
Yield 10 First Course Servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- PREPARE THE PANCAKES:.
- Coarsely shred the potatoes and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the egg, matzo meal, onion and a large pinch of salt.
- Shape the mixture into 20 scallop-size cakes, about 1/2 inch thick; press the cakes to compress them.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering.
- Working in batches, fry the pancakes over moderately high heat until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes per side.
- Lower the heat if the pancakes brown too quickly and add more oil if necessary.
- Transfer the pancakes to a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- PREPARE THE SCALLOPS & CAVIAR SAUCE:.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- In a small saucepan, combine the Champagne with the peppercorns, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, shallot and lemon juice and boil over high heat until reduced to 1 tablespoon, about 15 minutes.
- Strain the sauce into another small saucepan.
- Stir in the creme fraiche and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Stir in the caviar and season lightly with salt.
- Cover the sauce and keep it warm.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat 1/4 inch of oil in it until shimmering.
- Season the scallops with salt and add half of them to the skillet.
- Cook over high heat until richly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm while you cook the remaining scallops.
- Rewarm the potato pancakes in the oven.
- Arrange the pancakes on a platter and set a scallop on each one.
- Add the chives to the caviar butter sauce and spoon over the scallops.
- Serve right away.
- MAKE AHEAD:*.
- The pancakes and caviar sauce can stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Rewarm the caviar sauce over low heat, stirring constantly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 243.4, Fat 15.9, SaturatedFat 9.6, Cholesterol 83.5, Sodium 86, Carbohydrate 13.8, Fiber 1, Sugar 1, Protein 5.8
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH LEEKS AND CAVIAR SAUCE
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender but not brown, about 20 minutes. Add Champagne and boil until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 4 minutes. Transfer leek mixture to strainer set over bowl. Press on leeks to extract as much liquid as possible. Transfer leeks to small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return liquid to same skillet. Add cream and boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Transfer sauce to bowl; cool 1 hour.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add scallops to skillet and sauté until just cooked through and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side for each batch. Transfer to plate.
- Spoon leeks in 5 small mounds around rim of each plate, spacing equally. Top each mound with 1 scallop. Stir caviar and tarragon into sauce. Spoon sauce into center of each plate.
More about "seared sea scallops with crme frache and caviar recipes"
SCALLOPS WITH POTATO PANCAKES AND CAVIAR SAUCE RECIPE
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH OSETRA CAVIAR AND POTATO-CHIVE …
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH CAVIAR, CREAMY CAULIFLOWER PUREE AND DILL OIL
SEARED BLACK COD WITH CREME FRAICHE, CAVIAR, TOBIKO AND BLACK …
SEARED SEA SCALLOPS RECIPE - JOACHIM SPLICHAL - FOOD & WINE
SCALLOPS WITH POTATO PANCAKES AND CAVIAR SAUCE RECIPE - DELISH
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH CRèME FRAICHE AND CAVIAR RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you serve seared sea scallops with crème fraîche?Top each scallop with 1/2 teaspoon crème fraîche. Top with caviar. Garnish with chives and serve. How would you rate Seared Sea Scallops with Crème Fraîche and Caviar?
How to cook sea scallops on the stove?Directions. Pat sea scallops dry with paper towels. Season with some lemon juice, salt, and pepper on one side. Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over high heat. Place scallops in the skillet seasoned-side down. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
How to cook scallops on the grill?A simple and sensational starter. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Cook scallops until golden on bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn over; sauté until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. Cool to room temperature. Top each scallop with 1/2 teaspoon crème fraîche.
What is a good recipe for scallops and shallots?1 bay leaf 1 large shallot, thinly sliced 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 1 1/2 tablespoons crème fraîche 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons 1 ounce caviar Salt Vegetable oil, for frying 20 medium sea scallops (1 pound) 2 tablespoons minced chives Directions Instructions Checklist Step 1