LAURIE COLWIN'S GINGERBREAD
The writer Laurie Colwin had an obsession with gingerbread, publishing a few different essays and recipes exploring its charms. In the essay that precedes this moist, cakelike rendition, from her book "Home Cooking," she writes that it is "home food" - not fancy restaurant food, that is, but soothing cold-weather food that is simple to make, ideal for an afternoon spent holed up indoors. The essay is also a paean to Steen's cane syrup, from Louisiana, which comes in cheerful yellow cans. Steen's is easy to find online, if not at your local supermarket, but the recipe does not suffer if you use another brand of light molasses instead. Serve the cake plain with whipped cream, or with fruit and a dollop of crème fraîche, or glazed with lemon icing, as Ms. Colwin often did. (The New York Times)
Provided by The New York Times
Yield One 9-inch cake
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch cake pan and set aside. Cream remaining 4 ounces butter with the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy, add molasses, then beat in eggs.
- Add flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
- Add lemon brandy or vanilla extract and buttermilk and turn batter into pan.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes (check after 20 minutes). Cool on a rack.
GRANDMOTHER'S GINGERBREAD RECIPE
Grandmother's Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake recipe brings back lots of memories, especially of Christmas. The cake is easy to prepare and great plain, or topped with whipped topping, apple butter, or applesauce.
Provided by Steve Gordon
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place Wesson Oil in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add sugar.
- Cream oil and sugar together with mixer
- Add molasses. Mix together.
- Add flour. Mix together.
- Add milk. Mix together.
- Beat egg and add to mixture.
- Add cinnamon.
- Add ginger.
- Mix until well combined.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Pour batter into pan. Spread out evenly.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 35-45 minutes until done.
- Remove from oven when done. Place on wire rack, cool 15 minutes.
- Turn out of pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
FAVORITE OLD FASHIONED GINGERBREAD
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 375.1 calories, Carbohydrate 65.3 g, Cholesterol 47.8 mg, Fat 11.2 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 4.4 g, SaturatedFat 6.7 g, Sodium 434.7 mg, Sugar 31.5 g
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour one 8 inch square baking pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light. Add the egg and molasses and beat thoroughly.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon.
- Bring water to a boil and add alternately with flour mixture to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 210.7 calories, Carbohydrate 30.6 g, Cholesterol 15.5 mg, Fat 9.1 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 2.1 g, SaturatedFat 2.3 g, Sodium 235.5 mg, Sugar 16 g
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and baking soda in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix molasses and water.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses mixture, then dry ingredients, to form stiff dough; if dough is sticky, add up to 1/4 cup more flour.
- Quarter the dough, form each portion into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. (Can be refrigerated up to 1 week or frozen up to 1 month.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a heavily floured work surface, roll 1 portion of dough into a 9-by-7-inch rectangle. Sprinkle dough with 1 Tb. sugar; use rolling pin to press sugar into dough. Cut dough (preferably with a fluted-edge pastry cutter) into 9-by-1/2-inch sticks. Place sticks about 1/2-inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake on middle rack until done, 18 to 22 minutes; after 10 minutes, rotate sheet from back to front. Repeat with remaining dough in batches.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 84.3 calories, Carbohydrate 14.6 g, Cholesterol 6.5 mg, Fat 2.6 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 0.9 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 68.6 mg, Sugar 7.2 g
FRESH GINGERBREAD WITH LEMON ICING
I adapted this recipe come from Nigella Lawson's Cookbook, How To Be A Domestic Godess. It is rich, moist and quite delicious! I have made a few changes to suit my personal preferences.
Provided by Bev I Am
Yield 20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter along with the sugar, syrup, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. Off the heat, add the milk, eggs, and baking soda in its water.
- Measure the flour out into a bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients, beating until very well mixed (it will be a very liquid batter). Pour it into the pan and bake for 3/4 - 1 hour until risen and firm.
- Be careful not to overcook it, as it is nicer a little stickier, and anyway it will carry on cooking as it cools.
- And when it is cool, begin the frosting. Whisk the lemon juice into the confectioners' sugar first, then gradually add extract and milk, as needed to make desired consistency.
- Spread over the cooled gingerbread with a palette knife, and leave to set before cutting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 228.3, Fat 7, SaturatedFat 4.2, Cholesterol 38.4, Sodium 87.1, Carbohydrate 39.9, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 25.8, Protein 2.5
- Butter an 8 1/2-inch cake or springform pan; set aside. Sift together flour and salt into a small bowl; set aside. Place butter in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Cream until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar, and continue to beat until very light in color and fluffy, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, about 2 minutes more. Add vanilla, if using. Add flour mixture, and combine on low speed, scraping with spatula if necessary, until flour is just incorporated and dough sticks together when squeezed with fingers.
- Pat dough into prepared pan. If rolling out dough to cut into shapes, form into a flat disk; wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Sift 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, a pinch of ground cloves, and a pinch of pepper with flour and salt. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out gingerbread men using a 3-inch cutter; sprinkle with crystal sugar; chill.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake until firm, about 30 minutes.
More about "steens gingerbread recipes"
7 GINGERBREAD DESSERTS TO MAKE THIS CHRISTMAS - FOOD …
GINGERBREAD CARAMELS (SOFT CARAMEL RECIPE) | GOOD …
RECIPES | STEEN'S SYRUP
OLD FASHIONED SYRUP CAKE - DIARY OF A RECIPE COLLECTOR
STEEN’S SYRUP GINGERBREAD - REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 minCategory DessertsLocation Louisiana
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and the sifted dry ingredients. Alternate with syrup and water. Beat until mixture is creamy.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts if desired. Blend well. Pour into well-greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
BEST GINGERBREAD RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART
Author Lynn Andriani
STEM GINGER SHORTBREAD - THE HAPPY FOODIE
ENGLISH GINGERBREAD CAKE | SAVEUR
DARK STICKY GINGER CAKE RECIPE THAT IS MOIST, STICKY, AND
RECIPES ( STEEN SYRUP ) | GINGERBREAD RECIPE, SWEET CORNBREAD, …
HOT & SWEET GINGERBREAD | KING ARTHUR BAKING
SAM STEPHENS' OATMEAL GINGERBREAD COOKIES RECIPE | QUAKER OATS
STEENS SYRUP - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
GEMMA'S STICKY GINGERBREAD - BIGGER BOLDER BAKING
THE STICKY GINGERBREAD OF MY DREAMS - LUNACAFE
43 STEEN'S SYRUP IDEAS | GINGERBREAD RECIPE, SWEET CORNBREAD, …
50 GINGERBREAD TREATS | FOOD NETWORK
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH STEEN’S PURE CANE SYRUP? | KITCHN
PIONEER GINGERBREAD - FORKS OVER KNIVES
HOMEMADE STEAMED GINGERBREAD PUDDING | BIGGER BOLDER BAKING
HOME | STEEN'S SYRUP
STEENS RIBBON CANE SYRUP RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
STEEN'S DARK MOLASSES | STEEN'S SYRUP
GINGERBREAD - I HEART EATING - I HEART RECIPES
GIN STEPHENS: BREAD RECIPE
EASY HOMEMADE GINGERBREAD (SOFT & MOIST!) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
THE TOP 10 BEST GINGERBREAD RECIPES
STEEN’S SYRUP GINGERBREAD | REALCAJUNRECIPES.COM: LA CUISINE DE …
GINGERBREAD - JUST SO TASTY
OUR BEST-EVER GINGERBREAD RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
STEEN CANE SYRUP RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
STEEN'S CANE SYRUP SHOOFLY PIE | EMERILS.COM
GRANDMA’S GINGERBREAD FEATURES A SPECIAL INGREDIENT
EASY PEASY DELICIOUS GINGERBREAD MUFFINS - BAKE THEN EAT
GINGERBREAD COOKIES | STEENA HOLMES
GINGER COOKIES FOR THE HOLIDAYS! - STEEN'S SYRUP
BEST GINGERBREAD RECIPES | EASTER | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
20 FESTIVE GINGERBREAD DESSERTS - SIMPLY STACIE
You'll also love