SUMMER SQUASH SIDE DISH CASSEROLE
My daughter-in-law created this healthy yellow squash recipe and shared it with me. I was delighted since my husband and I were cutting down on fried foods. You can easily double or triple this squash casserole to serve at family dinner. -Sue Joyce, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a saucepan, combine the squash, water, onion and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool., Stir in the egg, bread crumbs, butter and pepper. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and the cheese is melted, 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 344 calories, Fat 23g fat (14g saturated fat), Cholesterol 167mg cholesterol, Sodium 1029mg sodium, Carbohydrate 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 14g protein.
MAMA'S SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 1-quart casserole dish.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add squash and onion, cover, and steam until squash is tender and easily mashed with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk egg and sour cream together in the prepared casserole dish; add squash, onions, 2/3 the crackers, and 2/3 the Cheddar cheese. Stir with a fork. Cover the squash mixture with remaining Cheddar cheese and crackers.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and crackers are lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 369 calories, Carbohydrate 24.9 g, Cholesterol 86.3 mg, Fat 24 g, Fiber 5.5 g, Protein 15.3 g, SaturatedFat 12.4 g, Sodium 438.8 mg, Sugar 1.9 g
ZUCCHINI AND SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- Heat the olive oil and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, and black pepper and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the squash and zucchini and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Stir in the thyme and remove from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the prepared baking dish, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Combine the eggs and cream in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Gradually whisk the reserved cooking liquid into the egg mixture. When all the cooking liquid is incorporated, pour the mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish. Using a spoon, gently shift the vegetables around so the egg mixture is evenly distributed. Bake until the mixture sets, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle first with the crackers and then with the Parmesan, if using, and return to the oven. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
Yellow squash is easily overlooked (cauliflower gets all the attention), but with the addition of cheese and a buttery cracker topping, you can transform it into a summer casserole perfect for a barbecue or potluck.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put a large colander inside a large bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add a third of the squash to the skillet, arrange in a single layer and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the squash begins to soften and are golden brown spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the colander. Repeat 2 more times using 2 tablespoons of butter for each batch and sprinkling with 1/2 teaspoon salt and few grinds of pepper. Transfer each batch to the colander.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet along with the pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally scraping up any brown bits, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Let cool for 5 minutes then fold into the squash. Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Whisk together the sour cream, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl. Fold in the Cheddar, thyme and chives. Pour over the squash making sure that some of the mixture sinks down to the bottom.
- Microwave the remaining tablespoon of butter in a medium bowl until melted. Fold in the crackers and hot sauce. Sprinkle evenly over the squash. Bake until the eggs are cooked through and the crackers are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
GROUND BEEF SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
My daughter, a home economist, serves the garden-fresh casserole at church functions in summer when squash is at its best. It's a good main dish for lunch or dinner.-Rose Duggins, Massie Louisa, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a skillet, cook beef, squash and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add bread crumbs, salt, pepper and thyme; mix well and set aside. In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted. In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer half of the meat mixture and cheese sauce; repeat layers. Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese sauce. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts :
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
- Peel and de-seed squash.
- Cut into large cubes and boil until tender.
- Mash thoroughly and add butter, egg, onion, salt, pepper and crackers.
- Place in buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until bubbles appear on edge, about 25 minutes.
AUNT FANNIE'S SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
- Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine with chopped onion and cook in water to barely cover until both are tender.
- Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess water with back of spoon.
- Mash squash and onion with potato masher.
- Mix with half the butter, the cracker crumbs, eggs, sugar, to taste, salt and pepper.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Pour remaining butter on top and sprinkle with additional cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 375F for 45-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbly.
- NOTE: This recipe is from a restaurant in Smyrna, Georgia called Aunt Fannie's Cabin.
- Aunt Fannie was a freed slave of an old Georgia family who remained with the family until her death.
- The menu at the Cabin represented many of the dishes that Aunt Fannie prepared for the family.
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
"Why don't you just cook something that tastes really good?" Julia Reed's mother said that, chiding her daughter, a writer of uncommon style and wit who used to contribute food essays and recipes to The New York Times Magazine. Her mother thought Ms. Reed spent too much time thinking about complicated, over-the-top recipes at the expense of simple, honest American cooking that draws compliments not because it looks amazing, but because it's delicious. Like, for example, this recipe, for what Julia called in a 2002 article, "the best squash casserole on the planet Earth." The ingredients are by no means fancy - summer squash, jalapeño, white bread, Ritz crackers, eggs and Cheddar - but they combine in mysterious and marvelous ways to deliver a perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken or a weekend roast.
Provided by Julia Reed
Categories casseroles, times classics, side dish
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Cut the squash into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cook in boiling, salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Purée in a food processor.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and peppers and cook until just tender. Meanwhile, crumb the toast in a food processor, melt remaining butter and toss together.
- Mix the squash purée, onions, peppers, garlic, cracker crumbs and cheese. Stir in the eggs, cream, sugar and seasonings. Blend well. Pour into the baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and bake until browned, about 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 329, UnsaturatedFat 9 grams, Carbohydrate 17 grams, Fat 24 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 12 grams, SaturatedFat 13 grams, Sodium 471 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 1 gram
More about "summer squash casserole recipes"
OUR 10 BEST SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLES | ALLRECIPES
Author Carl Hanson
BEST SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK …
3/5 (31)Category Casserole,Cheese,Side,VegetablesServings 6-8Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
THE BEST SQUASH CASSEROLE - THESTAYATHOMECHEF.COM
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE | LODGE CAST IRON
SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE YELLOW SQUASH CASSEROLE
SQUASH AND “TUNA MELT” CASSEROLE - KITCHN
HEALTHY ZUCCHINI AND SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - EVOLVING TABLE
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - SWEETPEA LIFESTYLE
YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
EASY YELLOW SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE SUMMER
BEST SUMMER SIDE DISHES | ALLRECIPES
OLD-SCHOOL SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
23 BEST SUMMER SQUASH RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
10 BEST SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - RELUCTANT ENTERTAINER
OVEN BAKED SUMMER SQUASH RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
RECIPE DETAILS | PUBLIX SUPER MARKETS
SOUTHERN SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
EASY SQUASH CASSEROLE | SOUTHERN LIVING
SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH RITZ CRACKERS - COPYKAT RECIPES
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - A HEALTHY SLICE OF LIFE
SOUTHERN SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CREAMY SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - A FAMILY FEAST®
PAULA DEEN’S SQUASH CASSEROLE (EASY, CHEESY RECIPE)
3 EASY SUMMER RECIPES | CHICKEN SHEET PAN DINNER | CAST IRON …
SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE - THE SEASONED MOM
CROWD-PLEASING SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPES | EATINGWELL
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLES YOU'LL WANT TO MAKE ALL SEASON
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE FOR PARTY OR POTLUCK - BLUESKY AT HOME
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH PANKO CRUMB TOPPING | SALTY SIDE …
DEEP SOUTH DISH: SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH BACON
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - MY KITCHEN LOVE
SIMPLE SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - STEIGER FAMILY FARMS
25+ SUMMER YELLOW SQUASH RECIPES | EATINGWELL
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - MY KETOGENIC KITCHEN
HEALTHY SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - EVOLVING TABLE
SQUASH CASSEROLE FOR 2 - THERESCIPES.INFO - THERECIPES
SOUTHERN SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - MONDAY IS MEATLOAF
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #low-protein #stuffings-dressings #casseroles #main-dish #side-dishes #vegetables #oven #dietary #low-in-something #equipment
You'll also love