MAINE VENISON MINCEMEAT
Venison mincemeat is an old Maine tradition. The deer neck is normally used, but any scrap bones can provide the boiled meat. Moose or Beef also makes good mincemeat if venison is not available.
Provided by Ben Hooper
Yield 15 pies
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Boil the deer neck in enough water to keep it covered, for 4 hours or until the bones come out clean.
- Whilst the neck is boiling, peel, core and chop the apples.
- Let pot of meat cool overnight.
- Grind the meat, and 1 cup solid suet that forms on top, through a fine plate, quarter and grind the lemon and orange (peel and all)
- Combine everything except 1 pt of cider in a large pot.
- Simmer over very low heat, stirring with care not to burn on. I cook mine on a wood cook stove. A hot top also works well.
- Adjust the consistency with the cider, depending on how much juice the apples produce.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or so, until the mixture is bubbling, but apples are still mostly whole.
- Add brandy to taste.
- Pack into quart mason jars hot, or plastic containers cool and freeze for pies.
Aunt Jewel was a reknown woodscook in the Patten, Maine lumber camps back in the 40's. This is her recipe. This mincemeat is very rich but not too sweet. (You may add a 1/2 c. of water to each pint for a juicier pie.) Processed this will keep for 2+ years. This make ten pints or 10 frozen pies.
Provided by Aroostook
Yield 10 pints, 80 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Simmer venison neck or roast in unsalted water until tender.
- Cool and remove meat.
- Run meat, suet, raisins and currents through meat grinder with a fine blade attached.
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Place in a roasting pan.
- Stirring occasionally, cook at 325F until the apples are tender and mincemeat is hot.
- Pack in hot pint jars and seal.
- Place in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes 10 pints.
- In a large saucepan, combine the venison, suet, brown sugar, molasses, cider, currants and raisins. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add the apples and orange zest and cook until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook another 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 442, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 66 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 5 grams, Sodium 107 milligrams, Sugar 59 grams
PAGE'S VENISON MINCEMEAT
- Place above ingredients (except brandy) in large container and mix well. Fill 1 1/2 pint jars. Add brandy and seal. Cook in pressure canner at 5lb pressure for 90 minutes. If you use quart jars - process for 90 minutes, as well. The following is my additional notes on making pies from the filling: When making the pie, put the contents of the 1 � jar into a 9" pie pan lined with an uncooked pie crust. Top with another crust and seal the edge. Cut a vent slit in the top crust about 2" long. Bake in a 375-degree (F) oven for 20 minutes with the edge of pie covered with foil. Remove foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown. Note: I've also cooked the whole thing in a big batch (60 minutes if I remember correctly) and frozen in in 1 1/2 pint freezer containers. Keeps for several years in the freezer with no problems.
VENISON MINCEMEAT PIE
- Brown venison. Add ingredients and simmer uncovered until liquid reduces to a syrup. Cool filling and pour 6 cups into Freezer Bags. Thaw before using. This is a two crust 9" pie. Cook pie at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
More about "venison mincemeat recipes"
10 BEST VENISON MINCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
VENISON MINCEMEAT RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
VENISON RECIPES | RNZ RECIPES
FLAKY SAUSAGE ROLLS RECIPE
VENISON RAGU - VJ COOKS
RECIPES - NZ VENISON
OLD FASHIONED VENISON MINCEMEAT | REALTREE CAMO
VENISON COTTAGE PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
A HEARTY VENISON MEATBALLS RECIPE WITH A BERRY SAUCE - GREEDY …
VENISON MINCEMEAT PIE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
VENISON MINCEMEAT RECIPES BRING BACK CHILDHOOD MEMORIES
OLD-FASHIONED MINCEMEAT RECIPE - NEW ENGLAND TODAY
FROM THE COOKBOOK: VENISON MINCEMEAT | AN OFFICIAL JOURNAL OF …
VENISON MINCEMEAT PIE RECIPE - GAME & FISH
VENISON RAGù - WAITROSE & PARTNERS | FOOD | DRINK | RECIPES
VENISON MINCE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
GROUND VENISON RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
VENISON RECIPES: VENISON MINCEMEAT - FOOD NEWS
15 BEST GROUND VENISON RECIPES | TASTY, QUICK, EASY, & HEALTHY …
VENISON MINCEMEAT - PLAIN.RECIPES
GROUND VENISON RECIPES - VENISON MINCE RECIPES
VENISON MINCEMEAT | VIRGINIA DWR
REAL MAINE DEER MINCEMEAT - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
10 BEST VENISON MINCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
VENISON MINCEMEAT PIE | VIRGINIA DWR
VENISON CHILI RECIPE
VENISON MINCEMEAT RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
EASY VENISON RECIPES - OLIVEMAGAZINE
VENISON MINCEMEAT PIE FILLING | RECIPES FROM GUIDE OUTDOORS
VENISON MINCE RECIPES: BLACK SEA TURKISH PIDELAURA'S WILD KITCHEN
VENISON RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
MAINE VENISON MINCEMEAT RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
VENISON MINCEMEAT HAND PIES | REALTREE CAMO
VENISON MINCEMEAT RECIPE FROM MAINE - THERESCIPES.INFO
VENISON MINCEMEAT PIE – COUNTRY LIVING RECIPE
VENISON MINCEMEAT PIE RECIPE TRADITIONAL - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
VENISON MINCEMEAT FROM FARM JOURNAL'S COMPLETE PIE COOKBOOK …
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #for-large-groups #fruit #american #fall #holiday-event #christmas #seasonal #comfort-food #wild-game #deer #northeastern-united-states #meat #taste-mood #number-of-servings #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love