POLISH APPLE CAKE (SZARLOTKA)
This traditional spiced cake is served with a cinnamon whipped cream and a dusting of icing sugar
Recipe From bbcgoodfood.com
Provided by Ren Behan
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 20 x 29cm baking tray with baking parchment.
- For the filling, zest the lemon half and leave aside for the dough. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples, then squeeze over the juice of the lemon to stop the fruit turning brown. Put the apples in a large pan and add the sugar, 200ml water and cinnamon. Cook for 5 mins, then remove from the heat and leave to cool in the liquid (you'll need this later).
- To make the dough, put the flour and baking powder in a food processor or into a large bowl and pulse or stir to combine. Add the butter and mix again until the mixture is sandy. Add the sugar, egg yolks and egg, yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla extract and mix into a dough. Tip it out onto a floured surface. Bring it together with your hands and roll it into a ball.
- Split the dough in half, wrap one half in cling film and freeze for 1 hr. Roll out the other dough half so that it is big enough to fill the bottom of the lined tray. With the palm of your hand, push the dough about halfway up the sides of the tray until the whole base is covered. Prick the dough with a fork and bake in the oven for about 15 mins until it is golden and lightly springy to the touch.
- Spoon over the apple filling, with about half the cooking liquid, then set aside.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and coarsely grate, as you would a block of cheese. Sprinkle the grated dough over the apples and bake for 40-45 mins until it is golden and the topping has cooked through. Leave to cool completely, dust with icing sugar, then cut into squares. Whip the cream until thick, stir in the cinnamon and serve alongside the cake.
Sharlotka is a traditional Russian apple cake. I like to make it in a deep pie dish and serve it with a brown sugar glaze in a fashion similar to a pineapple upside-down cake. However, the recipe may also be used (minus the glaze) to make a single loaf, mini loaves, or cupcakes. Traditionally, it is baked in a cast iron skillet.
Recipe From allrecipes.com
Provided by Mike Zenk
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an oversized, deep, glass pie dish and spread apples inside.
- Combine eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the wire whisk attachment. Mix on the highest setting until eggs are foamy and change in color, 5 to 7 minutes. The goal is to achieve a consistency something close to meringue.
- Turn stand mixer off and switch the attachment to the standard mixing paddle. With the machine on its lowest setting, add flour, sour cream, salt, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until just incorporated. Batter should be thick, fluffy, and airy. Do not overmix, as it will deflate the batter. Pour batter over apples in the pie dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top turns golden brown and a knife comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool just until it is safe to handle the pan; loosen edges and flip the cake onto a serving platter.
People also searched
More recipes about "washington post recipe apple sharlotka"
RUSSIAN APPLE CAKE “SHARLOTKA” RECIPE – MELANIE COOKS
2013-05-02 · Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a non-stick round 9-inch baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray. Cut the apples into slices and put them on the bottom of the …
APPLE SHARLOTKA IS THE QUINTESSENTIAL FALL RECIPE
2020-09-04 · Directions for Apple Sharlotka is the Quintessential Fall Recipe and just one smart point per serving on Weight Watchers 1. Mix Bananas, eggs, flour, vanilla …
SUPER EASY RUSSIAN APPLE SHARLOTKA CAKE RECIPE - MUNCHKIN TIME
2019-08-05 · How to make Apple Cake from Scratch: First, in a mixing bowl combine 8 eggs and 2 cups of sugar. Then, using hand or stand mixer, whisk on high for about …
- First, grease 9 inch. baking pan with butter and line it with parchment papper. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Now, lets make apple cake batter, in a mixing bowl combine 8 eggs an 2 cups of sugar. Using hand or stand mixer, whisk on high for about 10 minutes or until double in size and the batter is light color.
- In a baking pan, lay out apple slices to cover the bottom of the pan. Then, pour in 1/3 of the batter to cover the apples. Lay out another layer of apple slices following by batter, repeat one more time. Total of 3 apple layers.
APPLE SHARLOTKA - THE WASHINGTON POST
2020-10-21 · Position a baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 9-inch springform pan, line it with a parchment paper …
APPLE SHARLOTKA RECIPE, SHARLOTKA CAKE RECIPE, APPLE CAKE ...
2014-12-04 · Peel and core apples, cut into small dice. Beat 6 eggs with 1 cup sugar on high speed for 6 minutes until thick and fluffy. Whisk together 1 1/3 cups flour with a …
THIS ONE-BOWL RUSSIAN APPLE CAKE RECIPE ... - WASHINGTON POST
2020-10-23 · Place half the apples in an even, compact layer on the bottom of the pan. Cover with half the batter and use an offset spatula to spread the batter evenly over the apples. …
APPLE SHARLOTKA - RUSSIAN APPLE COFFEECAKE - Шарлотка с ...
2019-04-01 · Baking the Apple Sharlotka Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, until the sharlotka is golden, or when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. Run an offset spatula or thin knife around the edges of the cake …
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use butter or oil to grease a 10 inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. You can also use a baking spray instead of the butter/oil. Spray the top of the parchment paper also.
- You can also use a 9 X 13 inch baking dish instead of a 10 inch round cake pan to bake the Apple Sharlotka.
- Peel the apples and slice them thinly. You can cut them longer, but make sure to slice them thinly, so that they bake through while that cake is baking. If you slice them too thick, the apples will still be crunchy in the cake. Place the sliced apples into the prepared cake pan.
APPLE SHARLOTKA RECIPE - MATT DANKO | FOOD & WINE
2016-09-09 · Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease the bottom and side of an 8-inch springform pan. Step 2 In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and let stand for …
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour with the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the almond extract and the remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar at medium-high speed until thick and pale yellow and a ribbon forms when the beaters are lifted, 8 to 10 minutes. Gently fold in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
- Spread the apples in the prepared pan in an even layer, then pour the batter evenly over them. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the batter to sink in a little.
5 INGREDIENT "SHARLOTKA" APPLE CAKE (VIDEO) - MOMSDISH
2019-10-18 · Wash, peal and dice apples into one inch pieces. Using a mixer, beat eggs with sugar, until it’s three times in volume. Using a spatula, fold in flour by thirds; be very gentle with the dough, to not …
- Using a spatula, fold in flour by thirds; be very gentle with the dough, to not overmix it and lose the fluffiness.
- Lay out the diced apples on the bottom of a 9 inch pan. Cover apples with cake batter, shake the pan a bit, to spread batter between each apple piece.
APPLE CAKE SHARLOTKA - VIKALINKA
2013-11-15 · Peel, core and slice your apples. Arrange them on the bottom of a buttered and floured 9" spring form pan. Whip eggs, sugar and vanilla until tripled in size for 10 minutes. Add sifted flour to the …
- Peel, core and slice your apples. Arrange them on the bottom of a buttered and floured 9" spring form pan.
APPLE SHARLOTKA | RECIPES | WW USA
Apple sharlotka is a traditional Russian-style apple pie, where the filling is on the bottom and batter-type crust is on the top. Some sharlotkas are made with one type of apple, such as Golden Delicious, while others use a variety. For this recipe…
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom of 9-inch springform pan with round of parchment paper. Spray parchment and side of pan with nonstick spray.
- Put apples in large bowl. Add lemon zest and juice; toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to prepared springform pan, pressing down to form compact layer.
- With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl until thickened. Reduce speed to low; beat in yogurt and vanilla. With rubber spatula, fold in ﬂour mixture just until no longer visible.
SHARLOTKA (RUSSIAN APPLE CAKE) • CURIOUS CUISINIERE
2019-06-03 · The recipe for the modern day Sharlotka was very much simplified and perfected in the kitchens of frugal home cooks during the Soviet era. Tips for Making the Best Russian Sharlotka While Polish szarlotka apple cake is a bit complex to put together, with layers of dough and apples, Russian sharlotka …
- Cover the bottom of a baking form with parchment paper. Melt the butter and generously brush the inside of the baking form. Alternately, you can also spray the form with a pan release baking spray.
- Cut two apples into small dice. Place them into a bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice and cinnamon. Mix to make sure all apples are evenly covered. Set aside.
OUR TOP 10 BAKING RECIPES OF 2020 ... - WASHINGTON POST
- No-Knead Olive Oil Dough (Big Batch). I took the dough from the focaccia above and scaled it up so you could make not only bread, but also pizza, calzones and cinnamon rolls.
- Stove-Top Naan. This Indian flatbread — perfect for scooping up dal or butter chicken sauce — doesn’t even require yeast, just baking powder. In less than an hour, you’ll be pulling warm naan out of your cast-iron skillet.
- No-Knead English Muffins. This was one of the last recipes we photographed in our Food Lab before our offices closed in March, and it published right at about the point people started baking bread like crazy.
- Apple Sharlotka. All you need is one bowl and some pantry staples to put together this classic Russian cake, which Olga says “might be the ideal cake for these strange times.”
- Peppermint Chocolate Slices. It didn’t take long for this no-bake holiday treat, also from Edd Kimber’s new book, to surge into our top recipes.
- Fast Focaccia. First published in early 2019, this no-knead recipe adapted from the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day team picked up steam again during the pandemic thanks to the huge interest in bread baking and in our No. 1 recipe, which, well, scroll down to see!
- Chocolate Cream Pie. Splurge for the good chocolate for this diner-style dessert filled with luscious pudding and topped with a mountain of whipped cream.
- Giant Dutch Baby With Fruit. With a handful of ingredients, you can whip up this large baked pancake for breakfast or dessert. It’s baked in a 9-by-13-inch pan, like everything else in Edd Kimber’s “One Tin Bakes,” my favorite cookbook of 2020.
- Sourdough Pizza Margherita. Olga Massov developed this New York-style pizza dough to make use of her sourdough discard. There’s very little hands-on time, and the dough can hang out in your fridge for up to 5 days.
SHARLOTKA: RUSSIAN APPLE PIE • HAPPY KITCHEN
2016-07-29 · Instructions APPLES: Peel and cut apples in chunks. Add cinnamon and transfer apple chunks to a baking pan, greased with a bit of olive oil. Preheat the oven to 190 °C or 370 °F.
- APPLES: Peel and cut apples in chunks. Add cinnamon and transfer apple chunks to a baking pan, greased with a bit of olive oil. Preheat the oven to 190 °C or 370 °F.
- BATTER: Blend eggs with honey, add flour, salt and baking powder. The consistency of the batter should be similar to sour cream. Pour the batter over the apple chunks.
- BAKING: Bake for about 40-45 minutes. To check whether it's ready, insert a wooden toothpick in the middle of the pie. If it comes out mostly dry, your sharlotka is ready! Turn off the oven and let it finish baking and cool in the oven for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!
APPLE SHARLOTKA - THE WASHINGTON POST
2020-10-21 · The Washington Post Apple Sharlotka. Resize Text. Print Article. Comments. Search all recipes by ingredient or name; Features. Fast Gluten-Free Healthy Kid-Friendly Meatless Slow Cooker Ingredients. Beans Beef Cheese Chicken Chocolate Eggs Fish Fruit Grains Greens Nuts Pasta Pork Potatoes Rice Shellfish Tofu Tomatoes Turkey Vegetables. From: To: Tom McCorkle for The Washington Post…
SHARLOTKA APPLE CAKE - EASIEST APPLE CAKE YOU'LL EVER MAKE ...
This is the best Russian Apple Cake recipe. It's light, fluffy, moist and delicious and made with only 5 ingredients. Not an apple pie, but an Apple cake spr...
See details ››
APPLE SHARLOTKA RECIPE | APPLE RECIPES, DESSERT RECIPES ...
Oct 11, 2014 - Sharlotka is a light, fluffy Russian apple cake that's simple to make and perfect for dessert, brunch or an afternoon snack. Pinterest. Today. Explore. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. Log in. Sign up. Explore • Food And Drink • World Cuisine • Russian ...
See details ››
APPLE SHARLOTKA RECIPE | RECIPE | APPLE RECIPES, DESSERT ...
Feb 27, 2018 - Sharlotka is a light, fluffy Russian apple cake that’s simple to make and perfect for dessert, brunch or an afternoon snack. Feb 27, 2018 - Sharlotka is a light, fluffy Russian apple cake that’s simple to make and perfect for dessert, brunch or an afternoon snack. Pinterest. Today. Explore. Log in. Sign up. Explore • Food And Drink • World Cuisine • Russian Recipes. ...
See details ››
APPLE SHARLOTKA RECIPE - EASY RUSSIAN APPLE CAKE ...
СУБТИТРЫ на русском языке; ALTYAZILAR türkçe, azərbaycanca.Apple Sharlotka Cake hailing from Russia is one of the easiest apple cakes on Earth! You only need...
See details ››
THIS ONE-BOWL RUSSIAN APPLE CAKE REMINDS US OF HOSPITALITY ...
2020-10-30 · Apple Sharlotka, with its one-bowl, few-ingredient scrappiness, cemented itself in the canon of Soviet food. PHOTO: THE WASHINGTON POST. Sharlotka, with its one-bowl, few-ingredient scrappiness, cemented itself in the canon of Soviet food: Chop up some fruit, pour a batter over it and within an hour, the cake is ready.
See details ››
APPLE SHARLOTKA RECIPE | RECIPE | APPLE RECIPES, WINE ...
Jul 17, 2015 - Sharlotka is a light, fluffy Russian apple cake that’s simple to make and perfect for dessert, brunch or an afternoon snack. Jul 17, 2015 - Sharlotka is a light, fluffy Russian apple cake that’s simple to make and perfect for dessert, brunch or an afternoon snack. Explore. Food And Drink. World Cuisine. Russian Recipes.. ...
See details ››
RECIPE FINDER - THE WASHINGTON POST
Spaghetti With Spinach, Feta and Dill. This recipe brings all the flavors of a spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) filling — spinach, feta, dill and scallion — to a quick and easy pasta dinner ...
See details ››
APPLE SHARLOTKA | RECIPE | APPLE CAKE RECIPES, APPLE CAKE ...
Oct 21, 2020 - This simple, forgiving, one-bowl apple cake comes together quickly and has been a staple in many Russian families for decades. Oct 21, 2020 - This simple, forgiving, one-bowl apple cake comes together quickly and has been a staple in many Russian families for decades. Pinterest . Today. Explore. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter t
See details ››
APPLE SHARLOTKA – SMITTEN KITCHEN
2012-01-06 · Pile the cut apples directly in the prepared pan. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs with sugar until thick and ribbons form on the surface of the beaten eggs. Beat in vanilla, then stir in flour with a spoon until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
See details ››