BAKED ORZO WITH TOMATOES, ROASTED PEPPERS AND ZUCCHINI
Orzo is a type of pasta that looks like rice. It's popular in Greece, where it is baked in casseroles like this one. If you like comforting dishes like macaroni and cheese, you'll like this.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, pastas, main course, side dish
Yield Serves six
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil, and add the orzo. Cook eight minutes, or until it is cooked through but still firm to the bite. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the diced roasted pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 2-quart baking dish. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, wide skillet. Add the zucchini and cook - stirring and turning over the slices, or tossing them in the pan - until just cooked through and lightly colored, about five minutes. Scrape into the bowl with the orzo.
- Return the pan to the heat, add the final tablespoon of oil and the garlic. Cook just until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds, and add the tomatoes and salt to taste. Cook, stirring from time to time, until the tomatoes have cooked down slightly and smell fragrant. Taste and adjust seasoning. Scrape into the bowl with the orzo, add the Parmesan or goat cheese, and mix everything together. Add freshly ground pepper to taste, and adjust salt. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is just beginning to color. Serve hot or warm.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 192, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 22 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 478 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams
BAKED ORZO WITH ZUCCHINI
From Vegetarian Times-September 2002. This simple dish comes together in minutes and calls for a light soup or tossed green salad and hot Italian bread with olive oil for dunking. It also makes a great buffet party dish, as it can feed a group when served with other fare.
Provided by Dominick and Amanda
Categories < 30 Mins
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly oil heatproof baking dish.
- Heat water in covered saucepan. When at a rapid boil, cook orzo until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat and sauté garlic, leeks and zucchini slices for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Drain orzo and place in baking dish. Stir in marinara sauce, salt and pepper and spice mix. Top with half the cheese.
- Arrange zucchini and leek slices on top of orzo, and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until mozzarella melts. During last 5 minutes, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
ORZO WITH ZUCCHINI AND FETA
"This pasta dish is simple to prepare and never fails to please," reports Andrea Jones of McKinney, Texas. "I double and sometimes triple the recipe when hosting a get-together. You can serve it hot as a side dish or cold as a salad."
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 5 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine zucchini and water. Cover and cook on high for 1 minute or until crisp-tender; drain. , Drain orzo; place in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, feta cheese, oil, oregano, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Serve warm or chilled.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 216 calories, Fat 6g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 6mg cholesterol, Sodium 226mg sodium, Carbohydrate 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the orzo and lemon juice, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink. Transfer the orzo to a large saucepan.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the sweet onion and green onion until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes; stir in the zucchini and squash, and cook until the squash are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir the cooked vegetables into the orzo; season with parsley, salt, and black pepper to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 408.3 calories, Carbohydrate 72.4 g, Fat 8.2 g, Fiber 5.3 g, Protein 13.3 g, SaturatedFat 1.3 g, Sodium 14.3 mg, Sugar 6.4 g
ZUCCHINI AND GROUND BEEF ORZO CASSEROLE
Ground beef and zucchini make a great pairing is this surprisingly light casserole. There's enough creamy cheese and orzo pasta to make this taste indulgent, but the zucchini plays a role too, as it has a naturally buttery taste and silky texture, both of which are enhanced by baking. And if the pound of zucchini wasn't enough to meet your veggie quota, there's also a can of tomatoes and an onion, so this dinner is a guaranteed way to get your family to eat some nutritious ingredients! The combination of kitchen staples and easy prep make this a perfect weeknight meal, which can be served up in just over an hour!
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium heat. Cook squash, Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in oil 4 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash has started to soften but is still crisp-tender. Transfer to large bowl; stir together with orzo.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef, onion, garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in oil 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain, and add to bowl with squash. Add crushed tomatoes, 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese, the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, thyme and pepper flakes; stir to combine. Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbling on edges and completely heated through. Top with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese; let stand 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 320, Carbohydrate 20 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Fat 1, Fiber 2 g, Protein 26 g, SaturatedFat 7 g, ServingSize About 1 Cup, Sodium 560 mg, Sugar 6 g, TransFat 0 g
More about "zucchini orzo bake recipes"
GROUND BEEF, ORZO AND ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE ... - …
4.6/5 (42)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Add half the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. After a minute or two, add the sliced zucchini, salt, pepper and oregano. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the zucchini rounds are tender-crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet with the ground meat, chopped shallot and more salt and pepper. Break up the ground meat with a wooden spoon and cook, stirring frequently, until it's no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes.
- To a large bowl, add the uncooked orzo, cooked zucchini, cooked beef, crushed tomatoes, riccotta cheese, shredded cheese, thyme and red pepper flakes. Add more salt and pepper too. Mix everything together.
VERY CHEESY ORZO CASSEROLE RECIPE - THE MOM 100
Cuisine American, ItalianCategory Main CourseServings 8Total Time 40 mins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and squash and sauté for 2 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the orzo, salt and pepper and stir until the orzo is well coated with the oil, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes until the orzo is fairly tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the cheese and peppers, and turn into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the mixture is bubbly around the edges and golden brown on top. Serve hot or warm.
MEDITERRANEAN ORZO RECIPE WITH ZUCCHINI AND CHICKPEAS ...
5/5 (24)Total Time 35 minsCategory SidesCalories 761 per serving
- Cook orzo pasta according to package instructions (I cooked mine in 3 qt salted boiling water for about 9 minutes). Drain, keeping about 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Set aside
- In a large braiser or heavy pan like this one, heat 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add zucchini; raise heat if needed and saute for about 5 minutes or so. Season with a little salt.
- Now add garlic, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and spices. Add the reserved pasta water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then lower heat, cover and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or so. (Occasionally check and stir together, making sure to add a little bit of liquid if needed.)
- Uncover, stir in already cooked orzo pasta. Add lemon juice and stir again. Cook briefly until pasta is just warmed trough (a minute or 2.)
ZUCCHINI & GROUND BEEF ORZO CASSEROLE - A DASH OF …
Ratings 1Category Main CourseCuisine American, ItalianTotal Time 50 mins
- Heat a large saute pan to medium heat. Once the pan is hot add the oil to the pan with the sliced zucchini. Season the zucchin with the salt and pepper and cook the zucchini for 5-7 miutes until they begin to soften and turn lightly browned. Flipping every few minutes. (If your pan is not large enough you may need to work in batches. Cooking half the zucchini at a time.)
- While the oven is heating cook your ground beef. In the same large pan you cooked the zucchini in, add the grond beef, shallots, and garlic. Using a heavy spatular break up the ground beef, mixing in with the shallots and garlic. Season with the italian seasoning. Cook stirring for 7-10 minutes, until the beef is mostly cooked.
TIAN PROVENçAL WITH ORZO (VEGETABLE ... - …
Cuisine ItalianTotal Time 42 minsCategory Pasta, Main Course
- Pre-heat oven at 425 degree Fahrenheit. Spray 9.5 inch baking dish with oil spray. Set aside. In a bowl, add orzo, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, chili flakes, oregano, basil, 1/2 tsp salt, lemon zest, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and grated garlic. Mix well. Set aside.
- If using *tomato/pesto sauce then spread sauce evenly in baking dish in single layer. Next, gently spread orzo mixture evenly on top in single layer. Drizzle a tbsp of olive oil and a tbsp of lemon juice on top. Set aside.
- Top orzo layer with sliced zucchini, squash, tomato and red onion. Arrange in alternately, starting with zucchini, squash, tomato and repeat to complete a spiral. (as shown in picture)
- Slowly pour a cup of chicken stock (or vegetable stock) on top. Make sure not to disturb the layers. Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp olive oil on top of sliced veggies, then season with generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Bake until liquid in orzo has been absorbed. (about 20 minutes)
ZUCCHINI ORZO RECIPE (SO FRESH ... - SPEND WITH PENNIES
5/5 (2)Total Time 45 minsCategory Appetizer, Pasta, Side DishCalories 269 per serving
- Bring orzo, broth, and Italian seasoning to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 13-15 minutes uncovered until the orzo is tender, adding more broth if needed.
- Once orzo is cooked, stir in tomatoes and pesto. Cover and rest 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini and 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
BARBARA KINGSOLVER’S DISAPPEARING ZUCCHINI ... - 12 …
4.4/5 (20)Category SideServings 8Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt and orzo and cook until just tender, 8-10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and zucchini and sauté until lightly golden.
- In a large bowl, toss together the orzo, zucchini mixture, and cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve chilled or room temperature. Enjoy!
HERBED CHICKEN, ORZO, AND ZUCCHINI - BETTER HOMES & …
4/5 (49)Calories 390 per servingTotal Time 20 mins
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with the basil; season with salt and ground black pepper. In large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add chicken and cook 12 minutes or until no longer pink (170 degrees F), turning once. Remove from skillet. Add zucchini to skillet; cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In bowl whisk together vinegar, the remaining olive oil, and the 1 tablespoon fresh dill. Add orzo; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken with orzo, zucchini, and fresh lemon wedges; sprinkle with dill. Serves 4.
ORZO WITH ZUCCHINI AND TOMATO (EASY SIDE ... - SKINNYTASTE
5/5 (34)Total Time 20 minsCategory Dinner, Side DishCalories 144 per serving
- Saute garlic 1 minute, until fragrant, add the zucchini and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked orzo and stir to combine all. Add some of the reserved liquid as needed so pasta isn't dry.
ZUCCHINI ORZOTTO RECIPE - LAURA IN THE KITCHEN
- In a shallow pan or large saucepan, add the oil, allow it to get nice and hot over medium high heat, add the zucchini and saute until they soften and develop some caramelized color, about 10 minutes (stirring often).
- Add the orzo, stir it around the zucchini cooking them together for about a minute, add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the orzo is fully cooked and it’s absorbed all the liquid.
ONE PAN ZUCCHINI AND EGGPLANT ORZO BAKE - SERVING …
Estimated Reading Time 3 minsTotal Time 35 mins See details »
CHEESY BEEF AND ORZO CASSEROLE - THE NOVICE CHEF
4.3/5 (3)Total Time 45 minsCategory CasserolesCalories 606 per serving See details »
MOZZARELLA & TOMATO BAKED CHICKEN WITH ORZO ... - BLUE …
4.2/5 Total Time 40 minsCuisine ItalianCalories 690 per serving See details »
SOUPER CREAMY LEMON BUTTER CHEESY ... - HALF BAKED …
4.5/5 (483)Total Time 25 minsEstimated Reading Time 6 minsCalories 328 per serving See details »
10 BEST ZUCCHINI GROUND BEEF CASSEROLE RECIPES - YUMMLY
See details »
ORZO WITH ZUCCHINI, TOMATOES, AND GOAT CHEESE - MYRECIPES
4.5/5 (8)Calories 429 per servingServings 6
- Cook the pasta in a Dutch oven according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, and toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add zucchini; cook 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in parsley and next 5 ingredients (parsley through bell peppers). Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in pasta and cheeses.
SHRIMP & ZUCCHINI WITH ORZO - THE ... - THE MIDNIGHT BAKER
Cuisine AmericanCategory Main, Main CourseServings 4Calories 370 per serving
- Add zucchini and salt; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Remove with slotted spoon; reserve.
15 BAKED ZUCCHINI RECIPES FOR SIDES AND SNACKS | ALLRECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
ZUCCHINI ORZO RECIPE (SO FRESH & COLORFUL!) - SPEND WITH ...
See details »
ORZO ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE RECIPES
See details »
PESTO ORZO WITH ROASTED ZUCCHINI | ALLRECIPES
See details »
ZUCCHINI ORZO RECIPE SIDE DISHES - MANY SIMPLE RECIPES
See details »
You'll also love