LAMB MEATBALLS WITH SPICED TOMATO SAUCE
Here is a recipe from the Los Angeles chef Suzanne Goin that plays to children as well as to the most sophisticated of palates. It is for crisp lamb meatballs cooked through in a fragrant, vaguely North African sauce of tomato sauce zipped up with orange juice and warm spices, then topped with feta and mint. Ms. Goin first served the dish at one of her Los Angeles restaurants, and put it into ''The A.O.C. Cookbook'' (2013), devoted to that restaurant's food. A version of the dish was later introduced to the menu of her children's school. It can be cooked in an hour's time, not all of it busy, and served with pita or plain pasta, bulgur or couscous.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 27
- Preheat broiler. In a large bowl, mix together the onion, cream, egg yolks, cinnamon, cumin, red pepper and cayenne. Put the lamb in the bowl, and season it aggressively with salt and pepper. Add the bread crumbs and parsley, and combine the mixture well. Shape the meat into balls that are a little larger than golf balls.
- Grease a baking pan with olive oil, and put the meatballs onto it, spaced evenly. Place beneath the broiler, and cook, turning once or twice, until the meatballs are well browned, approximately 5 to 7 minutes, then set meatballs aside. Turn oven to 400.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Pass the tomatoes through a food mill, or whizz them quickly in a food processor. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat for a minute, then add olive oil, rosemary and red pepper and shake to combine. Cook for another minute, then add onion, thyme, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and bay leaf and sauté until the onions are translucent, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, orange juice and peel, along with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes over medium-low heat, until reduced by a third. Adjust seasoning.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a large baking dish that you can put on the table. Transfer the meatballs to the sauce, putting them about ½ inch from each other. Bake for 15 or 20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Top with crumbled feta and scattered mint.
LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE
This is an adaptation of a dish my husband cooks from Libya. As with all my recipes.... adapt it to your own tastes... add a little of this or leave out a little of that.... use a little more of this or a little less of that until you find how you like it. If you like HOT stuff I bet this would be good with some peppers but I wouldn't have a clue which kind would compliment it best.
Provided by Veiled Princess
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan and add garlic.
- Brown the lamb all over and then add the tomato and onion and toss around a bit more.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir well before covering with water.
- Allow to boil for a while (maybe 20 minutes) and then you can turn down on low-medium to a slow rolling boil to cook the sauce down (maybe another 30 minutes or more).
- When the sauce is a little thick (not like paste but not water either) it should be done.
- Be sure to check the lamb to make sure it's done in the middle before you stop cooking it.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles and top it with a little parmesian cheese OR over rice or couscous.
HERB-ROASTED LAMB RECIPE
Bring out the flavor of this lamb recipe with herbs like sage and thyme. This Herb-Roasted Lamb Recipe is even better when marinated overnight.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Mix wine, oil, garlic, herbs and seasonings. Pour over lamb in large resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight to marinate, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove lamb from marinade; discard marinade. Place lamb on rack in roasting pan.
- Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until meat thermometer reaches 160°F (medium). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 260, Fat 19 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Sodium 50 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 19 g
More about "herby baked lamb in tomato sauce recipes"
KAPAMAS - LAMB IN AROMATIC TOMATO SAUCE - DIANE …
THE 16 MOST DELICIOUS SAUCES TO SERVE WITH LAMB | KITCHN
- Béarnaise Sauce. A derivative of Hollandaise sauce, Béarnaise ups the ante by adding shallots simmered in white wine vinegar, fresh cracked black pepper, and tarragon.
- Peppercorn Sauce. This spicy, slightly smoky, cream pan sauce is made from beef stock, peppercorns, shallots, brandy, and cream. Go to Recipe.
- Garlic Butter Sauce. Garlic and butter are a classic pairing for a reason, and these familiar flavors can help you get comfortable with the idea of adding lamb to the dinner queue.
- Grilled Lamb Chops with Herb Sauce. These flavorful grilled lamb chops come together in less than an hour, but are elegant enough for a special occasion.
- Chimichurri Sauce. The classic herb sauce can be spooned over cooked lamb or used as a marinade before it hits the flame. Lamb loves oregano and mint, but use the recipe as a guide, adding whatever fresh, green herbs you have on hand.
- Creamy Dill Dipping Sauce. This three-ingredient sauce (plus salt and pepper) is made with mayonnaise, fresh dill, and lemon juice. It's perfect for dipping meatballs or serving alongside slices of a roasted leg of lamb.
- 3-Ingredient Roasted Lemon Sauce. This easy lemon-garlic sauce is just the right balance of sweet with a hint of bitter, and goes with just about everything.
- Cool, Creamy Greek Tzatziki Sauce. Thick and creamy Greek yogurt is the base for this cool and creamy sauce. Fresh dill, mint, garlic, and cucumber make this the sauce that's just right for spreading over a lamb burger, dolloping on a gyro, or dipping slices of rosy roasted lamb in.
- Easy Pan Sauce. Skillet-seared lamb chops are one of life's little luxuries. Give them the finishing touch they deserve with an easy pan sauce. A splash of wine, a spoonful of mustard, a knob of butter, and a sprinkling of fresh herbs go a long way in making lamb feel even more special.
LAMB CHOPS IN TOMATO SAUCE | EVERYDAY COOKS
5/5 (1)Category DinnerCuisine BritishTotal Time 1 hr 35 mins
HERBY BAKED LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE - BIGOVEN.COM
Cuisine Not SetTotal Time 4 hrs 15 minsCategory Main DishCalories 281 per serving
FIVE EASY EASTER RECIPES FROM ALDI TO SAVE YOU MONEY AND TIME
ADAM LIAW’S SLOW-ROASTED LAMB SHOULDER RECIPE
HERBY BAKED LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE | RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD …
GRILLED LAMB CHOPS WITH HERBY YOGURT SAUCE - FOOD & WINE
GRILLED LAMB CHOPS RECIPE (WITH HERB SAUCE) | KITCHN
EASTER WITH A TWIST: JAMES MARTIN'S LUSCIOUS LAST-MINUTE LAMB IDEAS ...
45 CROWD-PLEASING RECIPES PERFECT FOR A FAMILY FEAST - MSN
"HERBY BAKED LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE" - RECIPES ON SPOONACULAR
HERBY BAKED LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE RECIPES - EASY RECIPES
PERSONAL RECIPE: HERBY BAKED LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE RECIPE
LAMB AND TOMATO SAUCE, GREEK STYLE - BIGOVEN.COM
LAMB CUTLETS AND HERBY TOMATO SAUCE | SPC
HERBY BAKED LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE | RECIPE - PINTEREST
80 EASTER DINNER RECIPES WE SWEAR BY EVERY YEAR - MSN
LAMB CUTLETS AND HERBY TOMATO SAUCE — EVERYDAY GOURMET
LAMB SHANKS BRAISED WITH TOMATO RECIPE | MYRECIPES
15 LAMB RECIPES THAT ARE ANYTHING BUT INTIMIDATING - YAHOO NEWS
15 LAMB RECIPES THAT ARE ANYTHING BUT INTIMIDATING - REAL SIMPLE
LAMB MEATBALLS WITH PEA PISTOU RECIPE - NYT COOKING
10 BEST BAKED LAMB CHOPS IN SAUCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
EASTER DISHES: PAULA MCINTYRE’S DELICIOUS LAMB SHOULDER AND OATY ...
TOP 10 ROAST LAMB RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
BAKED BBQ CHICKEN WINGS - GREAT BRITISH RECIPES
LAMB IN TOMATO SAUCE GREEK RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
You'll also love