MOM'S NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER
Being from the Easy Coast, I've tried a lot of different chowders; however, my Mom's takes the cake. She makes a huge pot of this chowder every Christmas Eve and all of it is gone by Christmas night. Although it is not very healthy, it is an awesome treat once in awhile for any of us that love seafood! I normally throw in a dash of garlic and onion powder. Enjoy!
Provided by Ashley_86
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Fill a large pot halfway with lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Add onions and carrots; cook until slightly tender, 10 minutes. Add potatoes; cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in salmon, cod, scallops, shrimp, lobster, and crab; cook over medium heat until salmon and cod are firm but chunks are still slightly translucent in the center, about 10 minutes. Drain half the water from the pot and add clams, heavy cream, and half-and-half. Place butter chunks atop the soup; season with salt and black pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until salmon and cod are fully cooked and flake easily with a fork, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 525.4 calories, Carbohydrate 18.8 g, Cholesterol 201.6 mg, Fat 37.8 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 28.2 g, SaturatedFat 22.6 g, Sodium 324.8 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER
Yield 4-6 people
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Cover fish barely with fish stock or bottled clam juice. Cook 5-10 minutes once comes to a boil. Remove fish with spatula, and add to the stock 4 small potatoes which have been peeled and cut into cubes. Boil potatoes in fish stock until cooked, about 10 mins, Meanwhile, mince salt pork or bacon and cook until golden and crisp. Remove and save. Cook onion, diced, in pork fat until transparent, not brown. Combine all ingredients in your stock pot: fish, potatoes, onions, fish stock,salt pork, and add 4 cups whole milk. Test for salt and pepper. (Here you can also add some thyme - though Mom did not) Raise heat of chowder to JUST BELOW boil. Turn off heat and let it sit UNCOVERED for 2 hours, and then put it in the refrigerator overnight. DO NOT cover the chowder until it is cool.
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER
Very rich, flavorful classic New England fish stew. You can use a variety of fish, including shellfish. It is best to avoid using exclusively oily fish, like mackerel or bluefish, but they are fine as part of a medley. It is also best to use a waxy variety of potato like Yukon gold, that will not fall apart in cooking.
Provided by Arlo3606
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Dice the onions into 1/4-inch dice.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt the butter, then add the diced onions. Cook the onions until they are just translucent.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into about 1/2-inch cubes. Add potatoes and clam juice. Simmer until potatoes are just barely tender.
- About 15 minutes before serving, cut any filleted fish you are using into about 3-inch sections. (It will fall apart after cooking into bite-size pieces. Cutting it up smaller before cooking would yield pieces that are too small in the finished dish. Add fish and simmer about 10 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through.).
- To prevent breaking up pieces of fish, avoid stirring.
- Add the light cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and dill. Heat through, taking care to keep the heat low and prevent the cream from curdling.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 923.5, Fat 68.3, SaturatedFat 42.1, Cholesterol 339.1, Sodium 1446.8, Carbohydrate 41.3, Fiber 3.3, Sugar 5.6, Protein 38.5
NOVA SCOTIA FISH CHOWDER
This is my version of the fish chowder from the Company's Coming cookbooks. It is the authentic "Atlantic provinces" style. Serve with Recipe #213970 or your own.
Provided by Bobbiann
Yield 4-5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until soft.
- Add next 5 ingredients; cover. Cook until potatoes are tender-crisp. Do not overcook. Remove bay leaf.
- Add fish; cook for about 5 minutes until fish flakes when tested with a fork.
- Stir in cream; heat slowly, stirring often, until steaming hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 681.3, Fat 46.8, SaturatedFat 28.6, Cholesterol 272.1, Sodium 639.5, Carbohydrate 18.9, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 2.4, Protein 46.4
FAVORITE FISH CHOWDER
Economics had a lot to do with what we ate when I was growing up in New Hampshire during the Depression. Money may have been scarce, but fish was plentiful and affordable, so that's how we began eating this fish chowder. When meat rationing came along in World War II, fish chowder again became a staple in our household. -Fran Gustafson, Bethesda, Maryland
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 16 servings (4 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Add water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes; cook for 10 minutes. Add fish and lemon juice; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add milk, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 192 calories, Fat 8g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 48mg cholesterol, Sodium 496mg sodium, Carbohydrate 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 12g protein.
More about "moms fish chowder recipes"
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER - COLEY COOKS
Reviews 26Category SoupCuisine New EnglandTotal Time 1 hr
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot and sauté the onion and celery with a pinch of salt until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, toss to coat, then add the water, salt and pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add in the fish, cover, and simmer for another 10 minutes or util the fish is cooked through. Stir in the heavy cream and fresh parsley. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
A CLASSIC NOVA SCOTIA FISH CHOWDER RECIPE – CHEFS NOTES
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER GOOD RECIPES - RECIPES IDEAS
25 BEST IDEAS RECIPE FOR FISH CHOWDER - BEST RECIPES IDEAS ...
25 OF THE BEST CHOWDER RECIPES | HOME JOBS BY MOM
RECIPE: MY FAVOURITE FISH CHOWDER - A LITTLE BIT OF MOMSENSE
MOM'S NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER - FISH CHOWDER RECIPES
MOM'S BOSTON FISH CHOWDER (AKA FISH CHOWDA) - FOOD
MOM’S FISH CHOWDER | RECIPES FOR FOOD
MOM'S LITE FISH CHOWDER A 30-MINUTE MEAL - BRIDGET'S GREEN ...
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER - FISH CHOWDER RECIPES
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER | RECIPE | RECIPES, FISH RECIPES, HOW ...
MOM DS FISH CHOWDER – RECIPES FOR THE COOK
MOM’S FISH CHOWDER
SLOW COOKER FISH CHOWDER – WHAT'S FOR DINNER MOMS?
MOM'S NEW ENGLAND FISH CHOWDER RECIPE
MOM'S NEW ENGLAND FISH CHOWDER RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
AN INCREDIBLY EASY FISH CHOWDER RECIPE
OLD FASHIONED NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER - FOOD GYPSY
THE BEST RECIPES FOR MOM'S FISH CHOWDER - RECIPES MY CAFE
WORLD BEST SEA FOOD RECIPES: MOM'S FISH CHOWDER
CREAMY FISH CHOWDER WITH SPINACH -- MY BOWLFUL OF SOUL
MOM'S NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE
FISH CHOWDER RECIPE - SUNCAKEMOM
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER | RECIPE | CHOWDER RECIPES, CHOWDER ...
FISH CHOWDER RECIPES - REDCIPES
BEST COOKING BUTTER RECIPES: MOM'S FISH CHOWDER
MOMS NEW ENGLAND FISH CHOWDER - BIGOVEN.COM
EASY SALMON CHOWDER RECIPE - MOMSDISH
TOP 25 MANHATTAN FISH CHOWDER - BEST RECIPES IDEAS AND ...
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER | RECIPE | FISH CHOWDER, CHOWDER, RECIPES
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER - REVIEW BY JENN DYSART - ALLRECIPES.COM
THICK MOMS RECIPE ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER - PAGE 2 OF 2
MOM'S FISH CHOWDER | RECIPE | FISH CHOWDER, FISH RECIPES ...
OVEN BAKED CHOWDER – GOOD DINNER MOM
WORLD BEST FILLET COOKING RECIPES : MOM'S FISH CHOWDER
Fish chowder recipe | soup1.5K views-00:59
Barramundi Chowder1.9K views-01:37
New England Fish Chowder15K views-12:02
Fish Chowder Soup79K views-01:09
Grandma's Manhattan Clam Chowder2K views-01:19
Aaaaamazing Fish Chowder - Keto, THM, slow cooker, and EASY75K views-10:20
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make fish chowder with potatoes?Add fish fumé, and scrape any golden brown bits off the bottom of the pot so you get all that nice flavour in your chowder. Add potatoes; add water as necessary to cover ingredients and raise above about an inch, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring as needed until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
How do you make fish chowder in WW2?When meat rationing came along in World War II, fish chowder again became a staple in our household. —Fran Gustafson, Bethesda, Maryland In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Add water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes; cook for 10 minutes. Add fish and lemon juice; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
What is the rating of Mom's Nova Scotia seafood chowder?Fish Chowder Recipes Mom's Nova Scotia Seafood Chowder Mom's Nova Scotia Seafood Chowder Rating: 4.8 stars 71 Ratings 5star values:58
How do you thicken seafood chowder?Add the potatoe puree to the soup and it'll thicken up beautifully without altering the taste (use more than 1 potatoe if making a large amount). Generally, I add: haddock, scallops, lobster, crab, shrimp and canned baby clams to my seafood chowder.