MUSSELS AND PASTA WITH CREAMY WINE SAUCE
I love seafood and always have a bag, or two, of mussel meat in the freezer. It's fairly inexpensive and is usually found in a case by the fresh fish. This cooks up really quickly, so have everything prepped before starting.
Provided by Bren
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook linguine at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes.
- Place mussel meat in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Gently warm the mussels until they release their water, about 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet with paper towels. Melt remaining 3 teaspoons butter in the skillet. Cut any large mushrooms into smaller pieces. Add to the skillet and sprinkle with pepper. Cook until starting to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour wine into the skillet, add red pepper flakes, and cook until wine has reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in cream and add mussels. Heat until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Use tongs to lift linguine out of the pot and add to the skillet with some of the cooking water. Toss to coat with sauce. Plate and garnish with lemon zest.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 708.3 calories, Carbohydrate 44.9 g, Cholesterol 160.2 mg, Fat 43.6 g, Fiber 4.3 g, Protein 25.2 g, SaturatedFat 25.8 g, Sodium 389.4 mg, Sugar 2.4 g
PASTA WITH MUSSELS AND SHRIMP
- Butterfly the shrimp: Peel the shrimp, then cut along the curved side with a small sharp knife, about three-quarters of the way through. Devein the shrimp and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook until slightly thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook as the label directs for al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain.
- Add the mussels to the tomato sauce, cover and cook until they just begin to open, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp, cover and cook until the shrimp is cooked through and the mussels have opened fully, 2 to 4 more minutes. (Discard any unopened mussels.)
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to coat, stirring in enough of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce. Divide among bowls; top with the parsley and celery leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 560, Fat 11 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Cholesterol 103 milligrams, Sodium 1322 milligrams, Carbohydrate 80 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 32 grams, Sugar 9 grams
PASTA WITH MUSSELS IN TOMATO SAUCE
Semolina linguine is a traditional and wonderful pasta to use. But you can make the dish with whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta; both are getting better and better. Look for a flat noodle like tagliatelle, fettuccine or linguine. If you use whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta, make sure not to overcook it. My rule of thumb is to check for doneness a minute before the suggested cooking time on the package; noodles should be cooked al dente.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, lunch, pastas, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Pulse tomatoes with juices in food processor just a few times to break down into a coarse purée; set aside. Bring large pot of water to boil for pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a wide skillet or saucepan with lid, combine crushed garlic clove and shallot with white wine. Bring to a boil and add mussels. Cover and cook, shaking pan from time to time, 2 to 4 minutes, or until mussels open up. Check mussels after 2 minutes; transfer open mussels to a bowl using tongs. Cover pan again, wait another minute, and repeat until all mussels have opened.
- Leave mussels to cool in bowl until easily removed from shells. Remove half from shells and leave other half intact. Taste a mussel; if it is sandy, give them all a very quick rinse and drain in a colander. Transfer to a bowl and keep covered while you make tomato sauce.
- Place a strainer over another bowl, line with cheesecloth and strain the liquid in the pan into bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup. Rinse and dry pan.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in pan and add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, thyme or marjoram (or both), and sugar.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and cook, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes, until tomatoes have cooked down slightly. Add 1/2 cup broth from mussels, stir together and bring to a simmer. Taste and add salt as needed (you may not need to add any). Tip all mussels, shelled and unshelled, into sauce, cover and turn heat to very low or remove from heat if not serving right away. Keep warm while you cook pasta.
- Warm a large bowl for the pasta. When water for pasta comes to a rolling boil, salt generously and add pasta. Cook al dente, following the directions on the package. Drain and toss in the warm bowl with tomato sauce, mussels and parsley. Serve right away.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 626, UnsaturatedFat 9 grams, Carbohydrate 80 grams, Fat 13 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 40 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 1095 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams
MUSSELS WITH PASTA
- Rinse the mussels and drain thoroughly. Put them in a heavy-bottom kettle and cover closely. It is not necessary to add liquid. As the mussels cook, shake them in the kettle to redistribute them. Let steam 3 to 4 minutes or until the mussels open. Uncover.
- Line a bowl with a fine sieve and line the sieve with a double thickness of cheesecloth. Pour the liquid from the kettle into it; there should be almost 3/4 cup. Set aside. Empty the mussels into a flat dish and set aside.
- Drop the tomatoes into a basin of boiling water and let stand 9 seconds. Drain and, using a small paring knife, pull the skin from each. Cut away and discard the core from each. Cut the tomatoes into small cubes. There should be about 2 1/4 cups.
- Bring about 10 cups of water to the boil and add salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, put the oil in skillet and add the garlic. Cook briefly without browning and add the tomatoes. Cook about 2 minutes and add the reserved mussel liquid, hot red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes and add the cream. Bring to the boil and add the mussels with any accumulated liquid. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Stir in the basil.
- Add the linguine to the boiling water and cook 10 to 12 minutes to the desired doneness. Drain and add to the mussels and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 728, UnsaturatedFat 15 grams, Carbohydrate 78 grams, Fat 28 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 40 grams, SaturatedFat 10 grams, Sodium 1093 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams
PASTA WITH SPICY MUSSELS
This is a wonderful, inexpensive dish that's great for a crowd. The broth-like sauce is light, yet full of great flavor. I choose not to add any butter, but rather use the lighter taste of olive oil for the fat in this dish. A word of caution: this recipe feeds about 6, but takes up a lot of room, especially once the mussels are all opened in their shells. I gave a small hint at the end of how one might serve this without overflowing their bowl. You might also like to spoon the pasta into individual serving bowls, and then top each one with mussels and broth, whichever you prefer. Use your best judgment!
Provided by Kozmic Blues
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- The following step is optional, but it works really well.
- After youve given the mussels a quick scrub and pulled off any of the beards, place them in a large bowl filled with cold water and several ice cubes.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the water, toss in the squeezed halves, and add the heaping tsp of salt.
- Allow mussels to sit for about ½ an hour, and they will spit out any sand or other stuff that might be inside their shells.
- (This is an old Neapolitan trick my husbands mother used for all shellfish).
- After about ½ hour, drain mussels, give then a quick rinse under come running cold water and set aside while you make the broth.
- Preheat large skillet over medium heat, and add olive oil.
- Next add the minced shallots, and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the sliced garlic, and crushed red pepper to taste, and sauté for another minute, careful not to let the garlic get too brown.
- Slowly add the fish stock.
- (If using wine and stock, add the wine first, bring it up to a boil and then add the fish stock) Let the stock simmer for a few minutes with the shallot and garlic, and then add the diced tomatoes.
- When sauce comes to a boil, add the mussels to the pan, give then a quick toss, and put the lid on and let stem for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook for 7 minutes, or until done to your liking.
- When mussels have all opened, turn off the heat, give them another stir to get all the liquid up from the bottom, add the fresh basil and put the lid back until the pasta is finished.
- Drain pasta.
- To Serve: Unless you have an enormous pasta-serving bowl, heres what I suggest.
- Add a couple ladles of the cooking broth in the bottom of your serving bowl and add about half of the pasta.
- Scoop out about half of the mussels with broth and lay over top the pasta until bowl is filled.
- Add the remaining pasta back into the skillet with the rest of the broth and mussels.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 704.9, Fat 12.1, SaturatedFat 2.1, Cholesterol 43.2, Sodium 1746.2, Carbohydrate 110.3, Fiber 6.6, Sugar 4, Protein 37.6
More about "mussels pasta recipes"
MUSSEL LINGUINE | PASTA RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Servings 2Total Time 10 minsCategory Cheap & CheerfulCalories 677 per serving
- Nonno Contaldo is my mentor Gennaro’s dad, but as far as Nonno is concerned, he thinks I’m his grandson! (You can make of that what you will!).
- I was really surprised to find out that Nonno lives by himself, and I was very impressed to hear that he still cooks for himself every day; although there are always friends and family nearby to help him if he needs it.
- His favourite thing to cook for himself is mussels with pasta, so I’m going to talk you through the recipe as he explained it to me.Get a pan of salted water on to boil.
- Pour a few drizzles of extra virgin olive oil into a separate little pan and put it on a medium heat.
PASTA WITH MUSSELS RECIPE - MARCIA KIESEL | FOOD & WINE
5/5 Servings 4
- In a large pot, combine the wine with the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pan a few times, until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Drain the mussels in a colander set over a medium bowl. Pour the mussel broth into a glass measure. Crumble the saffron into the mussel broth.
- Discard any unopened mussels. Remove the mussels from their shells and place in a bowl. Pour the melted butter over the mussels and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the thinly sliced garlic and cook over low heat just until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute longer. Slowly pour in the reserved mussel broth, stopping when you reach the grit at the bottom of the glass measure. Add the lemon juice and simmer over moderately high heat until the sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, about 8 minutes.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti just until al dente. Drain the pasta well.
ITALIAN MUSSELS & PASTA RECIPE | EATINGWELL
5/5 (3)Total Time 40 minsCategory Low-Calorie Mussel RecipesCalories 471 per serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until it just begins to color, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully add crushed tomatoes and saffron with soaking liquid (the mixture may splatter) and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring mussels and wine to a boil in a Dutch oven (or other large pot) over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook until the mussels open, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the mussels with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. (Discard any unopened mussels.)
- Strain the mussel broth through a fine-mesh sieve into the tomato sauce. Stir in crushed red pepper and simmer over medium heat for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle about half the sauce over the pasta and toss to coat. Divide the pasta among 4 pasta bowls, top with mussels and spoon the remaining sauce over the mussels. Serve topped with parsley and lemon zest.
10 BEST GARLIC MUSSEL PASTA RECIPES | YUMMLY
SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS - ITALIAN RECIPES BY GIALLOZAFFERANO
SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
THE 20 BEST MUSSEL RECIPES - GYPSYPLATE
GARLIC BUTTER MUSSEL PASTA - HAVOC IN THE KITCHEN
MUSSELS WITH PASTA AND TOMATOES – COOKING WITH NIGELLA
15 MINUTE DRUNKEN MUSSELS PASTA - SWEET CS DESIGNS
MUSSELS AND LINGUINE WITH GARLIC BUTTER & WHITE WINE PASTA SAUCE
LOUISIANA MUSSELS WITH PASTA RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
27 EASY AND TASTY MUSSELS PASTA RECIPES BY HOME COOKS - COOKPAD
35 MUSSELS RECIPES THAT ARE QUICK, EASY, AND ELEGANT - EPICURIOUS
25 EASY MUSSELS RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
CANNED MUSSEL PASTA | WOOLWORTHS TASTE
MUSSELS PASTA IN TOMATO SAUCE - AHEAD OF THYME
CREAMY MUSSELS WITH GARLIC, PARMESAN AND PASTA - ALBERTA MILK
MUSSELS PASTA RECIPE (WITH RED SAUCE) - SIZZLING EATS
CREAMY AVGOLEMONO MUSSELS WITH PASTA | OLIVE & MANGO
SEAFOOD SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS AND SHRIMP RECIPE - BON APPéTIT
BEST TOMATO BASIL MUSSELS OVER PASTA RECIPES | QUICK AND EASY
EASY MUSSELS RECIPES TO MAKE ALL YEAR LONG | MARTHA STEWART
MUSSEL PASTA (ITALIAN RECIPE WITH OLIVES AND TOMATOES)
GARLICKY SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS AND CLAMS RECIPE (WHITE WINE …
TAGLIATELLE WITH MUSSELS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
EASY WEEKNIGHT PASTA WITH MUSSELS - SEASONED AND SALTED
HOW TO COOK MUSSELS WITH GARLIC WHITE WINE SAUCE - RECIPETIN EATS
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY MUSSEL PASTA - FEMICATE
MUSSELS WITH PASTA RECIPE - WALTER PURKIS AND SONS
PASTA WITH MUSSELS - POSH JOURNAL
SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS AND TOMATO SAUCE - THE HAPPY FOODIE
A SIMPLE RECIPE FOR PASTA WITH MUSSELS - THE NEW YORK TIMES
PASTA WITH MUSSELS IN SPICY TOMATO SAUCE - EATING …
SPAGHETTI WITH MUSSELS AND CHERRY TOMATOES - OUR EDIBLE ITALY
10 BEST SHRIMP MUSSELS PASTA RECIPES | YUMMLY
PASTA WITH PESTO & MUSSELS | MARX FOODS BLOG
PASTA WITH WHITE WINE & MUSSELS - KITCHEN DREAMING
MUSSELS, WHITE WINE AND GARLIC OVER PASTA RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
EASY BUT FANCY MUSSEL RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
MUSSELS IN RED SAUCE GIADA : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
MUSSELS PASTA WITH GARLIC AND FENNEL - LAVENDER & MACARONS
You'll also love