SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ
Miss the tarheel tradition of a pig pickin'? Then find yourself a crock pot, a big pork shoulder, some cider vinegar and get cooking! While ground and crushed red pepper will provide the basic heat - go the extra mile and find some Texas Pete (or Trappey's) pepper sauce to bring the taste of Carolina to your kitchen.
Provided by coolmonkshoes
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place the pork shoulder into a slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Pour the vinegar around the pork. Cover, and cook on Low for 12 hours. Pork should easily pull apart into strands.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard any bones. Strain out the liquid, and save 2 cups. Discard any extra. Shred the pork using tongs or two forks, and return to the slow cooker. Stir the brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes into the reserved sauce. Mix into the pork in the slow cooker. Cover and keep on Low setting until serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 292.8 calories, Carbohydrate 3.6 g, Cholesterol 90.5 mg, Fat 17.3 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 27.6 g, SaturatedFat 6.2 g, Sodium 775.5 mg, Sugar 2.9 g
CAROLINA-STYLE PORK BARBECUE
I am originally from North Carolina (where swine is divine) and this recipe for the slow cooker is a family favorite. My husband swears my authentic Carolina 'cue is the best BBQ he has ever eaten! -Kathryn Ransom Williams, Sparks, Nevada
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 14 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cut roast into quarters. Mix brown sugar, salt, paprika and pepper; rub over meat. Place meat and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker., In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and seasonings; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender., Remove roast; cool slightly. Reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns with coleslaw.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 453 calories, Fat 22g fat (6g saturated fat), Cholesterol 85mg cholesterol, Sodium 889mg sodium, Carbohydrate 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 27g protein.
CAROLINA-STYLE PORK BBQ SANDWICHES
Arguably, some of the best 'cue in the country can be found in North Carolina, where two distinct types of slow-cooked pig prevail. The first is Eastern barbecue, which is distinguished by slow-cooking a whole hog and including both the white and dark meat in chopped sandwiches and platters. Eastern 'cue boasts just a hint of vinegar and red pepper, which is added to the meat mix rather than used as a sauce. Western North Carolina 'cue (aka Lexington-style) is made from pork shoulder only. In addition to incorporating plenty of vinegar, sugar, and spices, it also mixes in a good amount of ketchup to create an actual sauce for the pork. This slow-cooker recipe falls somewhere in between.
Provided by Kendra Bailey Morris
Yield Serves 10 to 12 (about 8 cups of meat)
Number Of Ingredients 24
- Make the pork:
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Put the onions in the slow cooker. Make slits in the pork roast and insert the garlic cloves. Rub salt, pepper, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes into the meat. Place the pork in the slow cooker fat side up and pour in the vinegar and apple cider. Cover and cook on low for at least 10 hours and up to 12 hours, until the meat is falling-apart tender.
- Transfer the meat to a large bowl and shred it with two forks. Set aside.
- Make the sauce:
- Pour 2 cups of the pan juices into a measuring cup; discard any leftover juices still in the pot. Let cool and skim off any visible fat. Pour this liquid into a saucepan. Add the water, ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, paprika, dry mustard, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and add 1 cup of the sauce mixture (more if you like it wet). Give it a stir and set the slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.
- Assemble the sandwiches:
- Serve the pork straight from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon, along with buns, slaw, and hot sauce. Serve the additional sauce on the side.
CROCKPOT CAROLINA BARBECUE
- Place onions in crock pot.
- Blend brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast.
- Place roast in crock pot. Drizzle liquid smoke over roast.
- Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic and cayenne pepper and stir to mix well.
- Drizzle about ? of mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture.
- Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat and onions, discard onions and shred meat. Add juices from crock pot and remaining vinegar mixture (a portion may be reserved to pass).
- Serve plain or as sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 551.6, Fat 35.8, SaturatedFat 12.4, Cholesterol 149.7, Sodium 836.4, Carbohydrate 10.4, Fiber 0.9, Sugar 7, Protein 43
SLOW-COOKED BRISKET WITH CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- For the brisket: Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the brisket with Miss Brown's House Seasoning. Sear the brisket fat-side down until a deep golden crust forms, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and sear other side until deep golden brown, another 5 minutes. Remove to a sheet tray.
- Add the onions and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Stir until coated in fat. Add the beer and bring to a boil. Put the brisket on top of the onions, cover and place in the oven for 3 hours.
- For the BBQ sauce: While the brisket cooks, add the vinegar, brown sugar, brown mustard, whole-grain mustard, yellow mustard, onion, garlic, bourbon and cayenne to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the onion becomes slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and puree until smooth, being careful of hot steam. Pour back into the pan and simmer over medium-low until slightly thickened and reduced by 1/4, about 30 minutes.
- At the 3-hour mark, pour 1 cup of the BBQ sauce over the brisket, return to the oven and cook until the sauce has melted into the brisket, 30 minutes more. Use a knife to test the tenderness of the brisket. It should pierce the brisket very smoothly, with no pushback.
- Remove the brisket from the pot and slice against the grain. Discard the bay leaves. Serve with sliced white bread and all those slow-braised beer onions. Don't forget about the extra BBQ sauce for dipping. Store any extra sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Stir together the onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Keep in an airtight container. Makes 5 teaspoons.
NORTH CAROLINA PORK BBQ (FOR SLOW COOKER)
This recipe came with my slow cooker cookbook. I absolutely love it and you can make it as spicy as you like! Everyone loves it. Serve on a bun with coleslaw. You can even put the coleslaw on the sandwich and it's great! Ive used many kinds of pork roast, but it's great with pork loin--no bones or fat to worry about.
Provided by LK Devildog
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- 1. Combine all ingredients in crock pot.
- 2. Cover and cook 8-10 hours on low, or 5 hours on high.
More about "slow cooker carolina bbq recipes"
CROCK-POT NORTH CAROLINA BBQ PULLED CHICKEN …
CROCKPOT CAROLINA STYLE PULLED PORK - DEEP SOUTH DISH
CAROLINA BBQ CROCKPOT SHREDDED CHICKEN RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE DELICIOUS CAROLINA PULLED PORK IN A SLOW …
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA-STYLE PULLED PORK - SPICY SOUTHERN …
CAROLINA SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK - PLATING PIXELS
30 SLOW COOKER BBQ RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
SLOW COOKER BBQ RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ RECIPE - SC TRAVEL GUIDE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE …
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA PULLED PORK - COOKING WITH MAMMA C
CAROLINA BBQ VINEGAR SHREDDED CHICKEN RECIPE - DINNER, THEN …
EAST CAROLINA STYLE BBQ CHICKEN SLOWCOOKER SANDWICHES - MAYBE …
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ | RECIPESTY
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ — HUNGER RECIPES
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA-STYLE BBQ CHICKEN - THE LOW SODIUM FOODIE
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ | RECIPE | RECIPES, CROCKPOT RECIPES …
CROCK POT CAROLINA BBQ PORK - LYNNSKITCHENADVENTURES.COM
NORTH CAROLINA SLOW COOKER BARBECUE - SHEFFIELD SPICE & TEA CO
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ - BESTCROCKPOTRECIPES.COM
SLOW-COOKER CAROLINA BBQ PORK - BIGOVEN.COM
VINEGAR BASED BBQ SAUCE W/ CAROLINA PULLED PORK
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ RECIPE BY COOLMONKSHOES - REDCIPES
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ | RECIPE | BBQ RECIPES, RECIPES, SLOW …
CROCKPOT CAROLINA BARBECUE RIBS - THE MOM MAVEN
CAROLINA BBQ PORK SLIDERS - RECIPE GIRL
EASY CAROLINA PULLED PORK RECIPE - NO SPOON NECESSARY
SLOW-COOKED BRISKET WITH CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE - FOOD NETWORK
SLOW COOKER CAROLINA BBQ | RECIPE | BBQ RECIPES, RECIPES, SLOW …
You'll also love