Baking a pie from scratch takes a little patience, but watching your friends and family enjoy the results makes it all worthwhile.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Dessert & Treats Recipes Pie & Tarts Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Lightly flour a large piece of waxed paper; place a disk of dough in center. Rolling from center outward, form into a 12-inch circle. (Use paper to rotate dough, and flour rolling pin and paper as necessary to prevent sticking.) Transfer dough (still on paper) to a baking sheet; cover and refrigerate. Repeat with second disk of dough.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a rack set in lowest position. Remove first circle of dough from refrigerator; wrap around rolling pin (discarding paper), and carefully unroll over a 9-inch pie plate. Gently lift edges and lower dough into the pie plate so it hugs bottom and sides. Avoid stretching the dough, which will make it shrink during baking. Refrigerate.
- Place lemon juice in a large bowl. Peel, core, and cut apples into 1/4-inch-thick slices; halve crosswise, and add to lemon juice (to keep them from turning brown) as you work. Add sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt; toss to combine.
- Remove dough-lined pie plate from refrigerator. Fill with apple mixture, gently packing apples and mounding slightly in center; dot with butter. Lightly brush rim of pie shell with water. Remove remaining circle of dough from refrigerator. Lay over apples; press along moistened rim to seal. Using kitchen shears, trim overhang to 1 inch.
- With floured fingers, fold overhang under itself to form a thick rim; pinch between thumb and forefinger to form a uniform edge around the rim of the pie plate.
- To crimp edges: With thumb and index finger of one hand, gently press dough against knuckle of other hand; continue around pie. (Deep indentations anchor dough on rim and prevent it from sliding down sides of pie plate during baking.)
- With a floured paring knife, cut 5 to 6 slits in top of pie, radiating from center; place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes; reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake until crust is golden and juices are bubbling, 50 to 60 minutes more. If edges brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil. Cool completely, at least 6 hours, before serving.
APPLE PIE IV
Apple pie with pre-cooked apples
Provided by Eva
Categories Desserts Pies Apple Pie Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place sliced apples in a large pot. Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until apples are tender but not mushy.
- Pour apple mixture into pastry-lined pie pan. Cover with second pastry shell. Seal edges and cut steam vents in top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 279.2 calories, Carbohydrate 46.5 g, Fat 10.7 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 1.9 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 206.3 mg, Sugar 25.6 g
EASY AS APPLE PIE
- Place bottom crust in pan. Add apples, sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg. Top with butter, place top crust over and vent with a few holes poked in pastry top. Bake 375 degrees for one hour.
I remember coming home sullen one day because we'd lost a softball game. Grandma, in her wisdom, suggested, "Maybe a slice of my homemade apple pie will make you feel better." One bite, and Grandma was right. If you want to learn how to make homemade apple pie filling, this is really the only recipe you need. -Maggie Greene, Granite Falls, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat. , On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge loosely with foil. , Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 414 calories, Fat 16g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 14mg cholesterol, Sodium 227mg sodium, Carbohydrate 67g carbohydrate (38g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 3g protein.
MOCK APPLE PIE IV
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9 inch pie dish with pastry.
- In a large saucepan, combine water and sugar. Cook over high heat until boiling. Put in cream of tartar and reduce heat to simmer. Drop the crackers in, one at a time, and stir until mixture is translucent. Remove from heat and sir in cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.
- Let filling cool, then put into pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal and flute edges. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 75 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 427.6 calories, Carbohydrate 59.7 g, Cholesterol 3.8 mg, Fat 19.8 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 3.5 g, SaturatedFat 5.3 g, Sodium 358.4 mg, Sugar 32.1 g
In 2013, at least, one of the great pie makers in New York City was Kierin Baldwin, the pastry chef at The Dutch in the SoHo neighborhood. This recipe is adapted from hers, for a plain apple pie. It benefits from heeding her advice to pre-cook the filling before baking. "Apple pies that have crunchy, raw apples in them are a pet peeve of mine," Ms. Baldwin said. Peel and core the fruit, cut it into slices, then macerate them in a plume of sugar. Cook these soft with a splash of acid (like lemon juice or cider vinegar) and a hint of cinnamon and allspice, then add some starch to thicken the whole. Allow the mixture to cool completely before using it in the pie. (For everything you need to know to make the perfect pie crust, visit our pie guide.)
Provided by Sam Sifton
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Melt butter in a large saute pan set over medium-high heat and add apples to the pan. Stir to coat fruit with butter and cook, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, whisk together the spices, salt and 3/4 cup sugar, and sprinkle this over the pan, stirring to combine. Lower heat and cook until apples have started to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle the flour and cornstarch over the apples and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, another 3 to 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add cider vinegar, stir and scrape fruit mixture into a bowl and allow to cool completely. (The fruit mixture will cool faster if spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.)
- Place a large baking sheet on the middle rack of oven and preheat to 425. Remove one disc of dough from the refrigerator and, using a pin, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 12 inches in diameter. Fit this crust into a 9-inch pie plate, trimming it to leave a .5-inch overhang. Place this plate, with the dough, in the freezer.
- Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 10 or 11 inches in diameter.
- Remove pie crust from freezer and put the cooled pie filling into it. Cover with remaining dough. Press the edges together, trim the excess, then crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. Using a sharp knife, cut three or four steam vents in the top of the crust. Lightly brush the top of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Place pie in oven and bake on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375. Continue to cook until the interior is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes more. Remove and allow to cool on a windowsill or kitchen rack, about two hours.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 310, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 52 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 3 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 186 milligrams, Sugar 35 grams, TransFat 0 grams
FRESH APPLE PIE
There's nothing better than the smell of the fresh apple pie baking in the oven. It signifies the start of cozy fall days, and it's the ultimate dessert to kick off the season. This recipe uses Betty's pie crust mix so you can skip chilling your pastry dough and get right to the baking part-meaning less time waiting around for pie and more time eating it! Apple pie is best served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat oven to 425°F. Make pie crust mix as directed for 9-Inch Two-Crust Pie, using 1/3 cup cold water--except trim overhanging edge of bottom pastry 1 inch from rim of plate.
- Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Add apples; toss. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter.
- Roll remaining pastry; cut into 10 strips, each about 1/2 inch wide. Place 5 strips across filling in pie plate. Weave a cross-strip through by first folding back every other strip of the first 5 strips. Continue weaving, folding back alternate strips before adding each cross-strip, until lattice is complete. Trim ends. Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over ends of strips, building up a high edge. Seal and flute. Brush lightly with milk; sprinkle lightly with additional sugar.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 320, Carbohydrate 46 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Fat 2 1/2, Fiber 2 g, Protein 3 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 300 mg
APPLE PIE FROM SCRATCH RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: flour, salt, butter, ice water, granny smith apple, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon, egg, sugar, vanilla ice cream
Provided by Alix Traeger
Categories Bakery Goods
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix with fork until combined.
- Add in cubed butter and break up into flour with a fork. Mixture will still have lumps about the size of small peas.
- Gradually add the ice water and continue to mix until the dough starts to come together. You may not need all of the water, but if the dough is too dry then add more. The dough should not be very tacky or sticky.
- Work the dough together with your hands and turn out onto a surface. Work into a ball and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate.
- Peel the apples, then core and slice.
- In a bowl, add the sliced apples, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and juice from the lemon.
- Mix until combined and all apples are coated. Refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (200°C).
- On a floured surface, cut the pie dough in half and roll out both halves until round and about ⅛-inch (3 mm) thick.
- Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll onto a pie dish making sure the dough reaches all edges. Trim extra if necessary.
- Pour in apple filling mixture and pat down.
- Roll the other half of the dough on top.
- Trim the extra dough from the edges and pinch the edges to create a crimp. Make sure edges are sealed together.
- Brush the pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Cut four slits in the top of the pie to create a vent.
- Bake pie for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and no greyish or undercooked pastry remains.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Top with ice cream and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 276 calories, Carbohydrate 60 grams, Fat 2 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 5 grams, Sugar 27 grams
More about "apple pie iv recipes"
APPLE PIE (THE BEST) | RICARDO
5/5 (178)Calories 575 per servingCategory Desserts
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt the butter. Add the sugar, mix thoroughly and cook for 1 minute. Add the apples and cinnamon. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the McIntosh apples have stewed, the Cortland apples have soften and the syrup is almost dry. Pour into a bowl and let cool completely.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt and butter until the butter is the size of small peas. Add the water and vinegar. Pulse again until a ball begins to form. Remove the dough from the food processor. Form into two discs with your hands. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
APPLE PIE WITH COOKED APPLES RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
VEGAN APPLE PIE - LOVING IT VEGAN
CLASSIC APPLE PIE - JO COOKS
APPLE PIE RECIPE (THE BEST!) - LIVE WELL BAKE OFTEN
PERFECT APPLE PIE FILLING - I AM BAKER
MOCK APPLE PIE IV - AMERICAN RECIPES
APPLE PIE | - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
APPLE PIE IV - ALLRECIPES.COM RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE WITH THIS STEP-BY-STEP PHOTO GUIDE
CLASSIC APPLE PIE | RICARDO
PERFECT APPLE PIE - ONCE UPON A CHEF
APPLE PIE IV TASTY RECIPES
APPLE PIE-INSPIRED RECIPES THAT MIGHT BE BETTER THAN THE …
BEST APPLE PIE I RECIPES AND APPLE PIE I COOKING IDEAS
APPLE PIE IV - APPLE PIE RECIPES
APPLE PIE RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
35 BEST APPLE PIE AND TART RECIPES | EPICURIOUS
APPLE PIE RECIPE - ADD A PINCH
MOCK APPLE PIE IV - PIES - WORLDRECIPES.ORG
HOW TO MAKE APPLE PIE - PILLSBURY.COM
APPLE PIE IV | RECIPE | APPLE RECIPES, FILLING RECIPES, BAKING
OUR FAVORITE APPLE PIE - INSPIRED TASTE
CLASSIC APPLE PIE WITH PRECOOKED APPLE FILLING - COOKING FOR MY …
APPLE COBBLER USING PIE FILLING - THERESCIPES.INFO
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES -- APPLE PIE IV
APPLE PIE IV - AMERICAN RECIPES
PERFECT APPLE PIE RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
APPLE PIE RECIPES - BBC GOOD FOOD
RECIPES AND COOK: RECIPE APPLE PIE IV
10 APPLE PIE IDEAS | APPLE PIE, APPLE, PIE
DESSERTS -- APPLE PIE IV
APPLE PIE RECIPE WITH THE BEST FILLING (VIDEO)
70 BEST APPLE PIE RECIPES TO BAKE THIS FALL - COUNTRY LIVING
MOCK APPLE PIE IV RECIPE
APPLE CAKE IV RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
EASY HOMEMADE APPLE PIE - BAKE PLAY SMILE
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a pre cooked apple pie?This apple pie is filled with your own pre-cooked apple filling, covered with a vented top crust, and baked in the oven until golden brown. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large pot over low heat.
What is in an apple pie?This luscious apple pie stands tall among its competitors. A mixture of potato starch, sugar, cinnamon, and freshly ground nutmeg seasons the apples and keeps their juices stabilized.
How do you make a sourdough apple pie?Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour then simmer for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in 1/4 cup water, 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue simmering 3 minutes, whisking frequently then remove from heat. Peel, remove cores and thinly slice 7 cups of apples and place them in a large bowl.
How do you make apple pie with boiled cider?Stir in the boiled cider (or apple juice concentrate) and the vanilla. To assemble the pie: Roll the larger piece of pastry into a 13" circle. Transfer it to the prepared pan, and trim the edges so they overlap the rim of the pan by an inch all the way around. Spoon the apple filling into the pan. Dot the top with the diced butter.