BRAISED BACON CAROLINA RICE
- Cook bacon in a 4-quart heavy pot over low heat until some of fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened but not browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in spices.
- Add stock and tomato juice and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes (rice will be moist rather than fluffy and dry). Stir in celery leaves, butter, kosher salt, and pepper to taste, then remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
CAROLINA GOLD RICE
Carolina Gold rice, a fat, golden-hued, long-grained variety native to South Carolina, is so flavorful that only simple preparations are required. It is excellent in its most basic form, cooked in water with just a little salt and pepper, but for special occasions I opt for this gently embellished preparation.
Yield serves 4 to 6
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sizzling hot (see Know-how, page 100). Add the shallot and cook and stir for about 2 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the rice, season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir to coat with oil and butter. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme and just enough broth to cover the rice by about 1/4 inch, stirring just once to combine.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- Often called the grandfather of long-grain rice in the Americas, Carolina Gold is a beautiful variety that was the star of the antebellum rice trade and a driving force in the creation of a distinct Southern culinary tradition. Despite these claims to fame, Carolina Gold fell by the wayside after the Civil War, along with the South's rice economy. It was half forgotten and nearly extinct by the time Richard Schulz, a Georgia surgeon and plantation owner, rehabilitated the grain in the 1980s. Thanks to his efforts, it is now once again commercially available from vendors like South Carolina's Carolina Plantation Rice and Anson Mills (see Sources, page 377).
CHIPOTLE CHICKEN & RICE
Flavored with chipotle and lime, this simple variation on a classic arroz con pollo is zesty, spicy and packed with flavor.
Provided by Carolina® Rice
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Step 1 Season chicken with chili powder and salt. Step 2 In large Dutch oven or saucepan set over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp oil. In batches to avoid crowding, add chicken and cook, turning, for 5 to 7 minutes or until starting to brown all over, adding more oil as needed. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate as chicken is browned. Step 3 Add onion and garlic to oil in Dutch oven set over medium. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in rice, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or until well coated. Step 4 Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Stir in lime juice. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Step 5 Before serving, fluff rice mixture with fork and garnish with cilantro. Recipe Tips: Add 1 cup frozen vegetable medley - such as peas, corn and carrots - in the last 10 minutes of cooking if desired. For a zesty addition, add 1/2 cup sliced green olives or 1/4 cup drained capers with the lime juice in Step 4.
CHARLESTON RED RICE
A Lowcountry favorite that likely descended from West African jollof rice, this classic tomato and rice dish is also sometimes called Carolina red rice - or simply red rice. It often contains sausage, but this version, inspired by how the chef Millie Peartree's mother, Millie Bell, used to make it, relies on bacon for its depth. (Still, if you'd like to add sausage, just let it sear with the vegetables in Step 3.) To start, the "holy trinity" (bell pepper, onion and celery) is cooked in the bacon fat, infusing the cooking liquid. Then, the rice is baked to ensure it's perfectly cooked. Serve this alongside baked chicken or ham, green beans or collard greens, for a full, satisfying meal.
Provided by Millie Peartree
Categories grains and rice, side dish
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large (12-inch) heavy skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain, leaving behind drippings. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper and 1 teaspoon salt, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, another 30 seconds.
- To the skillet, add the rinsed rice. Stir and toast the rice for 30 seconds. Add the crumbled bacon, tomato purée, stock, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, sugar, pepper and cayenne.
- Bring the rice and vegetables to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Carefully transfer ingredients to the greased baking dish. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil, and bake until the rice is tender, about 40 to 50 minutes. Check the rice after about 30 minutes to make sure all the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is tender. (If it's too dry or not cooked all the way through, add a few tablespoons of water or stock at a time, if necessary, and cook a little longer.) Fluff with a fork before serving and garnish with parsley leaves.
CAROLINA GOLD RICE PUDDING
From Paula Deen. This is one of the best rice pudding recipes I've ever had. It tastes great warm or cold, although I prefer mine warm.
Provided by Kay D.
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Put the rice in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.
- Add the salt and 3 cups of boiling water.
- Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the condensed milk, butter, and raisins.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over simmering water until the pudding thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg.
- Spoon the pudding into individual custard cups and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Invert puddings onto chilled plates and serve with fruit sauce.
- For the fruit sauce:.
- Combine the orange juice, sugar, and cornstarch in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook the mixture over simmering water until it thickens.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, butter, rum extract, and stewed fruit.
- Serve warm over rice pudding.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 426.1, Fat 13.2, SaturatedFat 8.2, Cholesterol 39.8, Sodium 271.6, Carbohydrate 71, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 47.8, Protein 6.2
More about "carolina gold rice recipes"
CLASSIC SEPARATE-GRAIN CAROLINA GOLD RICE - RICE …
CLASSIC CAROLINA GOLD RICE RECIPE - MACHEESMO
3.2/5 (23)Estimated Reading Time 7 minsServings 2-4Total Time 45 mins
SOUTH CAROLINA GOLD RICE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CAROLINA RED RICE WITH SAUSAGE – COOKING ABOARD WITH JILL
SIMPLE CHARLESTON GOLD BROWN RICE - RICE RECIPES - ANSON MILLS
COOKING CAROLINA GOLD RICE - THERESCIPES.INFO - THERECIPES
GOLDEN STANDARD OF CAROLINA GOLD RICE - THE LOCAL PALATE
HOW TO MAKE RICE PURLOO - CHARLESTON SC
10 BEST CAROLINA RICE RECIPES - YUMMLY
RECIPE FOR AROMATIC CAROLINA GOLD RICE - TO-TABLE
CAROLINA GOLD RICE - BASIL AND BUBBLY
HOW TO COOK CAROLINA GOLD RICE - THE FOODOCRACY
OUR FAVORITE RECIPES FOR CAROLINA GOLD RICE - THE LOCAL PALATE ...
CRISPY CHICKEN WITH HERBED CAROLINA GOLD RICE & SCRATCH PAN GRAVY
RECIPES - TIDEWATER GRAIN COMPANY
CAROLINA GOLD RICE PUDDING - PAULA DEEN
CAROLINA GOLD SAUCE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SHRIMP AND TIDEWATER GRAIN CAROLINA GOLD RICE CROQUETTES
HOW TO COOK CAROLINA GOLD RICE IN AN INSTANT POT
RECIPES – MARSH HEN MILL
RECIPES - FRESH ON THE MENU
HOPPIN' JOHN WITH CAROLINA GOLD RICE - TODAY.COM
CHEF MIKE LATA'S CAROLINA GOLD RICE MIDDLINS - SOUTHERN LIVING
NORTH CAROLINA’S RICE REVIVAL | OUR STATE
GUIDE TO PARBOILED RICE WITH RECIPES - CAROLINA® RICE
HOW TO COOK CAROLINA GOLD RICE - YOUTUBE
HOW CAROLINA GOLD RICE COULD HELP YOU LIVE TO 100 - TODAY.COM
CAROLINA GOLD RICE GRITS AND EGGS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
HOW TO COOK TIDEWATER GRAIN CO. CAROLINA GOLD RICE & MIDDLINS
CAROLINA PLANTATION GOLD RICE
CAROLINA GOLD RICE SALAD FROM 'AROUND THE SOUTHERN TABLE'
THE STORY OF CAROLINA GOLD, THE BEST RICE YOU'VE NEVER TASTED
ANSON MILLS CAROLINA GOLD RICE; THE RICE THAT MADE ME CARE ABOUT …
CAROLINA GOLD BBQ SAUCE RECIPE - A SOUTHERN SOUL
CAROLINA GOLD RICE PUDDING WITH STRAWBERRY CHIA JAM - DR.
CAROLINA GOLD RICE BLANCMANGE - TASTE
CLASSIC SEPARATE-GRAIN CAROLINA GOLD RICE - RICE RECIPES
CAROLINA GOLD, THE LOWCOUNTRY'S PRIZED HEIRLOOM RICE, COULD HELP …
CAROLINA GOLD RICE - HOPPIN' JOHN'S
RECIPE | MOM'S RICE RECIPE - MARSH HEN MILL
CAROLINA RICE GRIDDLE CAKES | FOOD THINKERS BY BREVILLE
CAROLINA GOLD RICE RECIPES - CAROLINA PLANTATION RICE
You'll also love