STICKY PORK BELLY BAO BUNS
These soft Chinese bao buns are stuffed to bursting with spicy pork and topped with crushed chilli peanuts
Provided by Jennifer Joyce
Categories Dinner, Main course, Supper
Yield makes 10
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat. In batches, brown the pork belly well, then transfer to a plate. Tip the sugar into the dish and cook over a medium heat until starting to dissolve and caramelise, then quickly stir in the garlic, ginger and star anise, and cook for 1 min.
- Carefully pour in the rice wine and soy sauce - watch out, it will spatter - and simmer to dissolve the sugar. Stir the pork into the caramel to coat, then add 100ml water and the five-spice, and bring to a simmer. Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1 hr 30 mins. Remove from the oven, uncover, put on a high heat to simmer and reduce the sauce until sticky. Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead and chilled. Reheat with a splash of water.
- To make the chilli peanuts, mash most of the peanuts using a pestle and mortar, then add the rest of the nuts and roughly crush for a chunky texture. Stir through the togarashi powder. Can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container.
- For the buns, tip the dry ingredients and a large pinch of salt into a food mixer fitted with a dough hook. Pour in the milk, oil and 100ml tepid water, and work the mixture for about 10 mins until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave to double in size (for about 1 hr)
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a sausage shape. Cut the sausage into 10 equal portions. Roll each portion into a bun, then use a rolling pin to roll each bun out into an oval. Lightly grease each one, then fold them over a greased chopstick or skewer and place on a lightly oiled baking tray to rest for 1 hr or until doubled in size. Remove the chopstick or skewer before steaming.
- Heat a steamer and steam the buns on circles of baking parchment in batches for about 10 mins until puffed up. Split the buns and stuff each one with a slice or two of the pork, drizzled with some of the sauce. Scatter over some coriander, cucumber and spring onions, then sprinkle with the crushed nuts and tuck in.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 570 calories, Fat 22 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 66 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 17 grams sugar, Fiber 3 grams fiber, Protein 26 grams protein, Sodium 1.4 milligram of sodium
PORK BELLY BAO
Tucked into soft and steamy buns, this meltingly tender restaurant favorite is easy to make at home and even better the next day.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 15 buns
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Mix together the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin, garlic, ginger and a generous amount of pepper in a medium bowl. Cut the pork belly in half and place in an 8-inch square baking dish with the fatty side up. Pour the marinade over top of the pork belly, cover tightly with foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Bake, covered, until the pork is tender and easy to shred with a fork, about 2 hours. Remove to a cutting board and set aside. Pour the cooking liquid into a medium skillet, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, whisking occasionally, until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the bao buns according to the package directions.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the scallions and jalapeño and cook until just starting to turn tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small plate.
- Slice the pork belly into 15 pieces. Once the cooking liquid has been reduced, turn the heat off, place the pork belly into the skillet and flip once just to coat with the sauce.
- Place a piece of pork belly in each bun, sprinkle with the scallion-jalapeño mixture and garnish with a few cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
More about "crispy pork belly bao buns recipes"
CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO — JILLIAN RAE COOKS
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SLOW-ROASTED PORK BELLY BAO - MARION'S KITCHEN
PORK BAO BUN RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
PORK-BELLY BUNS RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
CRISPY PORK BELLY STEAMED BAO BUNS RECIPE | NEW IDEA …
BLOG - CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO BUNS - RAIDIS ESTATE
GUA BAO (PORK BELLY BAO) + VIDEO | SILK ROAD RECIPES
PORK BELLY BAO RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO | ASIAN INSPIRATIONS - ASIAN RECIPES
CRISPY PORK BELLY BAOS - ZARS KITCHEN
GUA BAO (PORK BELLY BAO BUNS) - NICKY'S KITCHEN SANCTUARY
21 EASY PORK BELLY RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
BRAISED PORK BELLY RECIPE – STEAMED BUNS (GUA BAO)
PORK BELLY BAO BUNS - MRS TRAN'S KITCHEN
CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO BUNS - IN RHI'S PANTRY
10 BEST CRISPY PORK BELLY RECIPES - YUMMLY
PORK BELLY BAO BUNS | ASIAN COOKING | FUSION
PORK BELLY BAO BUN RECIPE - A PARISIAN JOURNEY
CHINESE CRISPY PORK BELLY - RECIPETIN EATS
PORK BELLY BAO RECIPE - DUMPLING CONNECTION
PORK BELLY BAO BUNS RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
BARBECUE PORK BELLY STEAMED BUNS (GUA BAO) - G'DAY SOUFFLé
SUCCULENT AND CRISPY PORK BELLY ON CHINESE STEAMED BUNS WITH …
CRISPY SLOW-ROASTED PORK BELLY RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
THE BEST GUA BAO PORK BELLY STEAMED BUN RECIPE & VIDEO
CHAR SIU PORK BELLY BUNS RECIPE - DELISH.COM
PORK BELLY BAO BUNS - MY TASTY TRIALS
PORK BELLY BAO | AUTHENTIC CHINESE RECIPES | LEE KUM KEE
TAIWANESE PORK BELLY BAO RECIPE | ONTARIO PORK
SPICY KOREAN PORK BELLY BAO BUN - STUDIO BAKED
CRISPY PORK STEAMED BAO BUNS - THAT'S LIFE! MAGAZINE
CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO | ASIAN INSPIRATIONS | RECIPE | PORK BELLY ...
SWEET & STICKY PORK BELLY BAO BUNS (GUA BAO) - ASIA MAKES
SUPER CRISPY CHICKEN BAO BUN | MY CHEF RECIPE
PORK BELLY BAO BUNS - CHEF ELIZABETH REESE
CHAR SIU PORK BELLY BREAKFAST BAO RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
STICKY PORK BAO BUNS WITH STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS - EAT, LITTLE BIRD
CRISPY PORK JOWL BUNS - THE FOOD IN MY BEARD
CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO - COOKLYBOOKLY
LAST BITE: CRISPY PORK BAO BUNS AT 3 MONKEYS | EDIBLE CAPE COD
PORK BELLY BAO | MADE WITH BISCUIT DOUGH AND PORK BELLY
CRISPY PORK BELLY - KENDELLKREATIONS
THE BEST CRISPY PORK BELLY & SANDWICH RECIPE & VIDEO
TASTY CHINESE RECIPES TO MAKE TONIGHT - FOOD NETWORK CANADA
RECIPE | CRISPY PORK BELLY BAO
You'll also love