JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN (KARAAGE CHICKEN)
Recipe Video Above. One of the most popular Japanese dishes, not only within Japan but abroad, Karaage Chicken is pretty easy to make as long as you don't mind deep frying. Just marinate the chicken, toss in flour, and deep fry. Simple as that. The key is double frying so that the chicken becomes crunchy outside and juicy inside.Don't forget to see the section 'MEAL IDEAS' below the recipe card! It gives you a list of dishes that I have already posted and this recipe that can make up a complete meal. I hope it is of help to you.
Provided by Yumiko
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towel. Put the chicken and the Marinade ingredients into a ziplock bag or a bowl.
- Massage the bag well ensuring that all pieces are coated with the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pot or pan to 160°C/320°F (note 3). The depth of the oil should be about 3-4cm/1¼-1½".
- Meanwhile, drain excess marinade from the chicken, place the chicken pieces on paper towels to remove excess liquid, and put them in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over the corn flour and turn chicken to coat every piece with corn flour.
- Fry chicken in batches. Add several chicken pieces to the oil one by one and fry for about 2.5-3 minutes (note 4). You may want to move the chicken pieces around as they tend to stick to the bottom of the pot/pan.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the oil and rest for at least 3-4 minutes (note 5) on paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Skim any flour crumbs from the oil if there are any and increase the temperature of the oil to 190-200°C/374-392°F (note 3).
- Put the chicken pieces back into the oil in batches and fry for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until golden brown and crunchy. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Serve immediately with shredded lettuce and parsley for decoration if using.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 217 g, Calories 523 kcal, Carbohydrate 9.4 g, Protein 30 g, Fat 40 g, SaturatedFat 7.9 g, TransFat 0.3 g, Cholesterol 166 mg, Sodium 7.5 mg, Fiber 0.8 g, Sugar 0.7 g, UnsaturatedFat 29.1 g
FRIED CHICKEN WITH A JAPANESE TWIST
This is one of my kids favorites (and mine). Its quick and easy and very very tasty. A fried chicken with a Japanese twist. Delicious with rice but we love it with mash potato (Irish style - called champ) comfort food at its best
Provided by k r @kallisi
Number Of Ingredients 7
- place chicken in a large dish and prick all over with a skewer. Squeeze the fresh ginger in a bowl until you get about 2 tsp
- Add the mirin and soy sauce and mix well. Pour over the chicken and coat well. leave to marinade in a fridge for 20 mins
- In a dish mix the cornflour and salt. roll each chicken piece in the mixture until coated. Heat 2 inches oil in a deep pan until it bubbles. Add a few pieces of chicken at a time and cook for 5 mins. turning regurlally until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper
- Serve hot with rice or mash potato
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN (CHICKEN KARAAGE)
- Rinse the chicken, cut off any excess fat and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Using a sharp knife, score the chicken, especially in fibrous parts of the meat. Use the point of the knife to poke small holes in the chicken, then cut the chicken in bite-size (1 1/2-inch) pieces.
- In a mixing bowl combine the chicken, sake, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well, rubbing the marinade into the chicken. Marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Add the egg slowly to the chicken while mixing with your hands. Add the cornstarch and lightly toss to coat the chicken. In a medium saucepan heat the vegetable oil over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer reads 335 degrees F. Fry the chicken, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown, about 10 minutes (the internal temperature of the meat should be 165 degrees F). Shake off any excess grease. Cool and reserve the oil for another use. Plate the chicken and garnish with lemon wedges to serve.
FRIED CHICKEN WITH A TWIST
- Cook bacon. Leave in strips or crumble as you prefer.
- Mix flour and spices.
- In each breast, stuff bacon and cheese and roll up; secure with toothpicks or kitchen string.
- Dredge each stuffed breast in flour mixture.
- In a large pan, heat about an inch of oil with garlic and onion.
- When hot, place the chicken in the oil. Fry about 20 minutes each side. Be sure to turn so that all sides are cooked.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 386.5, Fat 17.6, SaturatedFat 7.4, Cholesterol 100.6, Sodium 755.1, Carbohydrate 17.8, Fiber 0.7, Sugar 0.6, Protein 36.9
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN
- For the marinade:.
- Combine the chicken, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar and scallions in a bowl, and mix thoroughly. Marinate the chicken overnight for at least 12 hours.
- For the slaw:.
- Shred the cabbage, and then combine the shredded cabbage with the vinegar, pepper, salt and sugar until the cabbage is thoroughly coated.
- For the chicken:.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and coat completely in the cornstarch. Rest the chicken in the cornstarch for 20 minutes to ensure it adheres completely.
- Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. Fry the chicken until it floats to the top and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Drain the chicken on a wire rack set over a sheet try or on paper towels, and then season with salt and togarashi.
- Serve with the cabbage slaw and garnish with the scallions and kecap manis.
- Cook's Note:.
- Kecap manis is an Indonesian sweet soy sauce and gochugaru is a Korean red pepper powder.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 2937.1, Fat 275.2, SaturatedFat 20.6, Sodium 2050.5, Carbohydrate 120.4, Fiber 7.7, Sugar 5, Protein 7.3
More about "fried chicken with a japanese twist recipes"
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN WITH A BOLD TWIST – MY …
Cuisine Japanese FusionCategory ChickenServings 4Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE - CENTERCUTCOOK
MARRY ME CHICKEN RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN | FOOD NETWORK
Author Amanda Neal for Food Network KitchenSteps 4Difficulty Easy
BEST KARAAGE RECIPE — HOW TO MAKE JAPANESE FRIED …
Cuisine JapaneseCategory Low-Cost, Easy Chicken, PoultryOccupation Contributing Recipe DeveloperTotal Time 1 hr
SWEET-AND-SPICY JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
35 JAPANESE RECIPES TO TRY THIS WEEK - MASHED
JAPANESE KARAAGE FRIED CHICKEN WITH A TWIST! MARINATED CHICKEN …
JAPANESE KARAAGE FRIED CHICKEN WITH A TWIST! MARINATED CHICKEN …
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN WITH A BOLD TWIST | RECIPE | JAPANESE FRIED ...
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN WITH A BOLD TWIST | RECIPE | FRIED CHICKEN ...
25 MUST TRY JAPANESE CHICKEN RECIPES - SUDACHI RECIPES
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN THIGHS (KARAAGE) | AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN …
AUTHENTIC CHICKEN KARAAGE (CRISPY JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN)
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN - EASY MEALS WITH VIDEO RECIPES BY CHEF …
17 EASY JAPANESE CHICKEN RECIPES TO TRY FOR DINNER
THIS CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE IS VIETNAMESE COMFORT FOOD MADE EASY
JAPANESE FRIED CHICKEN (CHICKEN KARAAGE) RECIPE - SAVORY THOUGHTS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make chicken fried rice?
What is the best way to make fried chicken?
How do you make fried chicken with sake?
How to make sushi with chicken?