KIDNEY BEAN GUMBO
This is an easy dish to make and perfect for a meatless dinner served with french bread and crisp salad. The recipe was published in The New American Diet Cookbook. I made only a few minor adjustments.
Provided by PaulaG
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Cook the sliced okra in boiling water just until tender; set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil until the onion is soft and golden.
- Add the celery and greepeppers, cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, add seasonings adjusting to fit personal taste and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add okra, peas and beans.
- Cook a few minutes until peas are done and beans and okra are warmed.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 271.5, Fat 3.9, SaturatedFat 0.6, Sodium 589.6, Carbohydrate 52, Fiber 9.5, Sugar 9.9, Protein 9.6
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 21
- In a medium saucepan add greens and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove greens to a cutting board (reserving 2 cups of cooking water) and chop coarsely, set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium low heat whisk 1/4 cup oil and flour together and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux is a dark reddish brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. In a large soup pot heat 2 tablespoons oil and saute onions, green pepper, celery and tomatoes for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add hot sauce, file powder, cayenne, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes more. Then whisk in roux, stock and reserved greens cooking water, bring to a boil, add salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add okra, kidney beans and cook for 5 minutes more. Taste for seasoning. Serve with white rice.
VEGETARIAN GUMBO RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: olive oil, yellow onion, cremini mushroom, garlic, low sodium soy sauce, dried thyme, smoked paprika, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, vegan worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, cannellini bean, bread crumbs, vital wheat gluten, vegetable broth, all purpose flour, celery, okra, green bell pepper, tomato, red kidney bean, brown rice, fresh parsley
Provided by Rachel Gaewski
Yield 5 servings
Number Of Ingredients 25
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add ½ cup (75g) diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until semi-translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, until most of the juices have evaporated.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic, the soy sauce, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon oregano, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon liquid smoke, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the spices are fragrant.
- Add the cannellini beans to a medium bowl and mash until mostly smooth (a few lumps are okay). Then, add the mushroom mixture, bread crumbs, vital wheat gluten, and 2 tablespoons vegetable broth and mix well until combined. Use your hands to knead the mixture until cohesive, then begin to roll about a tablespoon at a time of the mixture into "meatballs".
- In the same large pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meatballs and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the meatballs from the pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot, along with the flour. Stir the roux continuously with a wooden spoon for about 3-4 minutes, until the consistency resembles wet sand.
- Add the remaining ½ cup (75g) diced onion, the celery, and the okra to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the onion is semi-translucent.
- Add the remaining 4 cloves of minced garlic and the green bell pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon liquid smoke, 1 teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook for 4 more minutes, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir until combined. Then, add the red beans and add the remaining 3½ cups (840ml) vegetable broth and stir until well combined. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the gumbo has thickened.
- Season with salt to taste. Then, add the meatballs and stir to incorporate.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1090 calories, Carbohydrate 113 grams, Fat 76 grams, Fiber 17 grams, Protein 31 grams, Sugar 16 grams
More about "kidney bean gumbo recipes"
SPICY BEAN GUMBO – SHEKNOWS
VEGAN GUMBO - LOVING IT VEGAN
20 WAYS WITH KIDNEY BEANS | ALLRECIPES
10 BEST CHICKPEAS KIDNEY BEANS RECIPES | YUMMLY
VEGAN GUMBO WITH ANDOUILLE RED BEAN MEATBALLS
CHICKEN AND BEAN GUMBO | 12 TOMATOES
VEGAN JAMBALAYA WITH BEANS
OKRA GUMBO WITH CHICKPEAS & KIDNEY BEANS
VEGAN GUMBO WITH OKRA
35 KIDNEY BEAN RECIPES THAT ARE FAST AND FILLING | SELF
RED BEAN GUMBO – ROBIN ROBERTSON
CROCK-POT EASY VEGGIE GUMBO RECIPE
OKRA GUMBO WITH CHICKPEAS & KIDNEY BEANS - CAJUN RECIPES
KIDNEY BEAN GUMBO RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
OKRA GUMBO WITH CHICKPEAS & KIDNEY BEANS RECIPE
VEGETARIAN OKRA GUMBO RECIPE WITH KIDNEY BEANS
OKRA GUMBO WITH CHICKPEAS & KIDNEY BEANS
VEGETARIAN OKRA GUMBO RECIPE WITH KIDNEY BEANS | DEPORECIPE.CO
11 KIDNEY BEAN RECIPES PACKED WITH PROTEIN AND FIBER - WELL+GOOD
KIDNEY BEAN RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
COLLARD GREEN & KIDNEY BEAN GUMBO RECIPE | HELLOFRESH
VEGETARIAN OKRA GUMBO RECIPE WITH DARK RED KIDNEY BEANS
VEGETARIAN GUMBO WITH RED BEANS AND OKRA - A COUPLE COOKS
KIDNEY BEANS RECIPES - TASTY
RED BEAN GUMBO RECIPE | DR. MCDOUGALL
KIDNEY BEAN GUMBO RECIPES
OKRA GUMBO WITH CHICKPEAS & KIDNEY BEANS RECIPE | YUMMLY
HEARTY GUMBO RECIPE | CHATELAINE
COLLARD GREEN AND KIDNEY BEN GUMBO - BIGOVEN.COM
OKRA GUMBO WITH CHICKPEAS & KIDNEY BEANS - ISA …
EASY KIDNEY BEAN RECIPES & MEAL IDEAS | HELLOFRESH
MUSSEL PORK AND RED KIDNEY BEAN GUMBO – THE BEST FREE COOKING …
BUTTER BEAN GUMBO RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
GARDEN GUMBO WITH SMOKED SAUSAGE & KIDNEY BEANS - GREEN …
10 BEST VEGETARIAN RICE AND KIDNEY BEANS RECIPES | YUMMLY
HEALTHY SLOW COOKER VEGETARIAN GUMBO - OH MY VEGGIES
RED BEAN GUMBO RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
RED BEAN GUMBO - HEALTHY LIVING
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #low-protein #healthy #gumbo #main-dish #soups-stews #rice #vegetables #african #american #southern-united-states #low-fat #vegan #vegetarian #creole #dietary #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #healthy-2 #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #brown-rice #onions #tomatoes #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love