A New York State favorite, a kimmelweck roll is a hard roll similar to a crusty Kaiser roll, sprinkled with caraway and coarse salt instead of sesame or poppy seed topping. The salt and pepper sticks make a great snack something like pretzels. From "The Neighborhood Bake Shop," by Jill Van Cleave posted in response to a recipe request. Preparation time is approximate.
Provided by Molly53
Categories Yeast Breads
Yield 8 rolls
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Sprinkle the yeast over 1/4 cup of the lukewarm water in a small bowl; set aside to proof about 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 3/4 cup lukewarm water, the oil, sugar, salt, barley malt syrup or honey, and 1 egg white in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of the flour and mix until smooth; add yeast mixture and add in additional 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes, until smooth and elastic but still slightly tacky to the touch, adding only as much additional flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking.
- Transfer to a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside at room temperature to rise until doubled (about an hour).
- Punch the dough down, cover the bowl again, and let the dough rise a second time, for about 30 minutes.
- Return the dough to the work surface and divide it into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a smooth round, then flatten the rounds slightly.
- Place on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet, well spaced to allow spreading.
- Cover loosely with a towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Combine the remaining egg white and the 1 tablespoons water in a small dish and blend.
- Brush the rolls lightly with the egg white wash.
- Score 4 crescent-shaped slits into each roll with a very sharp knife, radiating out from the center.
- Sprinkle the rolls with the coarse salt and caraway seeds and sprinkle with water.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Quickly open the oven door, sprinkle the rolls again with water, and close the oven.
- Bake the rolls for about 20 minutes more, until browned and crisp.
- Cool the rolls on wire racks.
- **For a Vienna Loaf:
- Follow the recipe directions for rolls with the following exceptions: After the second rise, divide the dough in half and shape each half into an oval with tapered ends.
- After the final rise, apply the egg wash and cut a 1/2" deep slit down the top of each loaf; omit the salt and caraway sprinkle, if desired.
- Bake in 400°F oven, baking for about 30 minutes more after the second spray with water (for a total of 35 minutes).
- **For Salt and Pepper Sticks: Follow the recipe directions with the following exceptions: Omit the second rise.
- Divide the dough into 13 equal pieces, roll each piece out into a 12" rope of even thickness, and space the ropes 1-1/2" apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- After the final rise, apply the egg wash, but do not make any cuts into the do dough; sprinkle with coarse sea salt crystals and coarsely ground or cracked black pepper instead of with salt crystals and caraway seeds.
- Do not spritz with water.
- Bake for about 18 minutes.
ROAST BEEF ON WECK
- Combine equal parts coarse salt and whole caraway seed. Store in clean jar. Heat 1 cup water to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup warm water and add to boiled water. Return to a boil and thicken until it coats a spoon. Cool and store in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make kummelweck rolls, take 12 rolls and place on baking sheet. Brush top of rolls with cornstarch solution and sprinkle with seed mixture. Place in oven for 4 minutes or until kummelweck dries.
- For the Beef on Weck: Heat au jus in saucepan until simmering. Dip sliced roast beef in hot au jus and place on cut kummelweck roll. Top with a dollop of horseradish and dip the top of the roll in the au jus.
BEEF ON WECK
An easy roast beef sandwich with local origins in Buffalo, New York. Kimmelweck rolls are hard kaiser-type rolls covered in coarse ground salt and caraway seeds. This recipe transforms regular rolls into the traditional weck rolls.
Provided by Stef
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Warm the au jus sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the roast beef and let it warm up at the same time. While the meat is soaking, place the rolls on a baking sheet with the cut side down. Brush the tops lightly with water and sprinkle with salt and caraway seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven until rolls are toasted, about 10 minutes. Serve the sliced beef on the rolls with the au jus and horseradish on the side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 315.1 calories, Carbohydrate 27.6 g, Cholesterol 72.8 mg, Fat 6.8 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 36.2 g, SaturatedFat 2.3 g, Sodium 2479.3 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
These rolls can be enjoyed plain with soup or used for sandwiches. I make them at least once a month. This kaiser roll recipe earned me a blue ribbon at the county fair. -Loraine Meyer, Bend, Oregon
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 16 rolls.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough., Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour., Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes., Preheat oven to 400°. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. With scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross on tops of rolls. , Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 225 calories, Fat 5g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 300mg sodium, Carbohydrate 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
KIMMELWECK ROLLS RECIPE
Kimmelweck or Weck rolls look like Kaiser rolls but are topped with caraway seeds and coarse salt with a crispier crust. The flavor and texture is really outstanding. Crusty on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.
Provided by Marie
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Add water and yeast to bowl of standing mixture and mix to activate yeast (if needed, I use instant yeast and this step is not needed but will not hurt)
- Add sugar, honey (or malt syrup), oil and half of the flour and mix until combined.
- Add salt and the remaining flour.
- Mix on low speed until combined and then increase speed slightly and mix for 5 to 8 minutes until you can stretch the dough out into a thin sheet (windowpaning)
- Place dough in a oiled bowl, cover and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour. Wet hands to handle dough if it's a bit sticky.
- I like to use the oven with light turned on OR I microwave a cup of water and place the bowl with dough in the microwave to rise.
- After 1 hour, punch down dough and let rise again for another 30 minutes.
- After the second rise, cut the dough into 6 pieces and shape into a ball.
- To shape kaiser rolls, use a kaiser stamp on top of round rolls OR if you don't have a stamp, you can roll each piece into a rope and then loosely tie the rope
- Place rolls on cornmeal dusted baking sheet and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled. If you kitchen is cold, consider placing a pot of simmering water nearby.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper and lightly sprinkling with cornmeal (when I skip the parchment paper, sometimes the rolls stick to the baking sheet)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (about 20 minutes before end of final proof)
- Before putting bread in oven, toss about 2 cups of ice on oven floor OR spray the oven very well with water and then spray the rolls with water just before loading and after 2, and 5 minutes of baking.
- Brush top of proofed rolls with egg white, sprinkle then with kosher salt and caraway seeds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Check rolls at 10 minutes.
- Store rolls in airtight bag - they will lose their crisp but they keep well for an additional day or two. If you are storing longer, place in freezer bag and freeze the rolls. I like to slice them first before freezing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 298 kcal, Carbohydrate 51 g, Protein 10 g, Fat 6 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 790 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 4 g, UnsaturatedFat 5 g, ServingSize 1 serving
CHEF JOHN'S KUMMELWECK ROLLS
- Whisk 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup warm water, and yeast together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit until foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir 2 tablespoons oil, 1 egg white, sugar, salt, and honey into yeast mixture; whisk until smooth. Gradually add flour to yeast mixture while mixer is running with the dough hook attached; knead until a soft, sticky dough forms, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drizzle remaining vegetable oil into the bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover the bowl and let dough rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, flatten dough, and press into rectangle. Cut dough into 12 pieces and form pieces into rolls. Place rolls 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Whisk 1 egg white and 2 teaspoons water together in a small bowl. Use kitchen shears to cut an X at the top of each roll. Brush rolls with egg white mixture and sprinkle with caraway seeds and salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 159.2 calories, Carbohydrate 27.7 g, Fat 3.2 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 4.3 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 328.2 mg, Sugar 1.7 g
HONEY KIMMELWECK ROLLS
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Prepare a starter sponge by combine in a large mixing bowl,warm water, yeast, honey and 2 cups of flour (1 cup at a time) and mix until smooth.
- Place in a warm, clean location, and cover bowl with a wet cloth. Allow the mixture to stand for 30 minutes until the sponge texture forms.
- Mix into the sponge, three more cups of flour one cup at a time. Gradually add flour and mix until mixture separates from side, but sticks to bottom.
- Coat with vegetable oil, cover mixing bowl with a wet cloth, put it in a warm place and let rise until double in size.
- Punch down dough, gradually kneed in more flour until dough just separates from bowl.
- Place on floured surface and kneed until dough is even and smooth.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces and roll the dough into individual rolls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Coat the rolls with honey.
- Allow rolls to rise covered in a warm place until double in size
- Apply a second coating of honey
- Sprinkle with salt and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Apply a second coating of honey and sprinkle with fennel seeds.
- Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Let buns cool.
- Slice buns and wet the inside surface with aux jus.
- Portion out 1/4 pound of thinly sliced roast beef and sandwich in the sliced bun.
- Serve optionally with horseradish and dip sandwich in extra aux jus.
More about "kimmelweck rolls recipes"
EASY KIMMELWECK ROLLS - BREAD EXPERIENCE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
KIMMELWECK ROLLS | KAREN'S KITCHEN STORIES
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
BEST KUMMELWECK RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE KUMMELWECK …
ROAST BEEF ON KIMMELWECK ROLLS #SUNDAYSUPPER - P …
KUMMELWECK ROLLS RECIPE - GRANDPA JOE'S ITALIAN KITCHEN
CHEF WALTER STAIB’S KIMMELWECK RECIPE – CBS PHILLY
CROCKPOT BEEF ON WECK SLIDERS | HEALTHY DELICIOUS
CHEF JOHN'S KUMMELWECK ROLLS | RECIPE | RECIPES, BEEF ON WECK …
WE KNEAD TO BAKE #26 -KUMMELWECK ROLLS RECIPE | MY FOODCOURT
KAISER ROLLS | KING ARTHUR BAKING
KIMMELWECK ROLLS RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
KUMMELWECK RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
KUMMELWECK (KIMMELWECK) SANDWICH ROLLS AND SALT AND ... - NITHA …
KIMMELWECK ROLLS RECIPE - FOOD.COM - PINTEREST
ROAST BEEF ON KIMMELWECK ROLLS - THERESCIPES.INFO
KIMMELWECK RECIPE ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOW DO I SOFTEN MY KIMMELWECK ROLLS? | - FROM HUNGER TO HOPE
HONEY KIMMELWECK ROLLS - PLAIN.RECIPES
BREAD MACHINE KIMMELWECK ROLLS : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
WE KNEAD TO BAKE #26 : KUMMELWECK (KIMMELWECK) ROLLS & A …
KUMMELWECK ROLLS RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
FIRST ATTEMPT AT HOMEMADE KIMMELWECK ROLLS. : BAKING - REDDIT
TASTE OF WESTERN NEW YORK: BEEF ON WECK - HOME IN THE FINGER …
CHEF JOHN'S KUMMELWECK ROLLS | RECIPE | RECIPES, CHEF JOHN …
KUMMELWECK ROLLS - BIGOVEN.COM
BEEF ON WECK - PART 1: THE WECK ROLL - YOUTUBE
BEEF ON KIMMELWECK RECIPES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
KUMMELWECK ROLLS | RECIPE GOLDMINE RECIPES
KIMMELWECK ROLLS | KAISER ROLL RECIPE, KIMMELWECK ROLLS RECIPE, …
HOW TO MAKE KIMMELWECK FROM KAISER ROLLS - THERESCIPES.INFO
BUFFALO BEEF ON WECK RECIPE - AN EDIBLE MOSAIC™
KIMMELWECK (GERMAN KAISER ROLLS, BROTCHEN OR WECK)
#time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #healthy #breads #american #kosher #dietary #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #comfort-food #inexpensive #healthy-2 #yeast #low-in-something #brunch #taste-mood #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love