Plain shortbread, a combination of the most basic ingredients in the baker's pantry, is an understated sweet, but millionaire's shortbread is a spectacle. It's a flashy cookie, topped with swoops of chocolate and chewy caramel made from condensed milk, butter and Lyle's Golden Syrup. A British confection made from cane sugar, Lyle's is found near the honey and maple syrup in any well-stocked supermarket, but if you can't find it, corn syrup makes a fine, if slightly less flavorful, substitute.
Provided by Samantha Seneviratne
Categories candies, cookies and bars, dessert
Yield 32 bars
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Make the shortbread layer: Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add flour and salt, and beat on low just until the mixture is evenly combined and the texture of coarse sand.
- Tip mixture into prepared pan, and press down firmly into an even layer. Bake until top is dry and light golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Make the caramel layer: In a medium saucepan, combine condensed milk, butter, Golden Syrup and salt. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until it has thickened and changed from a milky yellow color to the color of butterscotch pudding, 10 to 20 minutes. It should read 220 degrees to 225 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Adjust the heat as necessary to keep the bottom from scorching. Stir in vanilla extract. Immediately pour the caramel over the baked crust and spread it into an even layer.
- Prepare the chocolate: In the microwave or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate in short bursts, stirring often. Spread melted chocolate in an even layer over caramel. Chill until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. To serve, cut the parchment-free sides away from the pan with a sharp knife, then transfer the shortbread to a cutting board using the parchment overhang. Cut into 32 small bars.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 162, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 20 grams, Fat 9 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 77 milligrams, Sugar 14 grams, TransFat 0 grams
Get the right balance of biscuit, caramel and chocolate to bake the perfect millionaire's shortbread. Enjoy with your afternoon tea or coffee
Provided by Miriam Nice
Categories Dessert, Treat
Yield Makes 20-24
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 4. Line a 20cm x 30 cm tin with baking parchment. Rub the flour and butter together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then stir in the sugar, vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin in an even layer, then press the mixture down firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake for 45-50 mins or until light golden brown. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- For the caramel, put the butter, condensed milk, sugar and syrup in a pan with a pinch of salt. Heat gently until simmering, then whisk for 6 mins until thick and fudgy. Be careful as the caramel will be very hot. Leave to cool for 5 mins, then pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread. Leave to cool completely.
- Stir the dark chocolate and the butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water until melted (alternatively heat in the microwave, stirring after every 30 sec blast to make sure it doesn't burn). Once melted and glossy pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel. To decorate, go to the next step, or leave to cool completely then cut into squares or triangles.
- For extra flourish, put melted white chocolate into a piping bag and pipe straight lines over the full length of the shortbread after applying the dark chocolate layer. Turn the tray 90° and drag a skewer through it in long strokes up and down the rows to create a feathered design. Gently shake the tin to settle the chocolate then leave to set completely. Cut into squares or triangles.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 315 calories, Fat 20 grams fat, SaturatedFat 13 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 29 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 19 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.2 milligram of sodium
EASY MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD
Combine the crunch of a shortbread base with a gooey caramel middle and chocolate topping, and you have millionaire's shortbread - the ultimate sweet treat
Provided by Member recipe by fetchgirl
Categories Afternoon tea, Dessert, Treat
Yield Makes up to 24 squares
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease and line a 20-22cm square or rectangular baking tin with a lip of at least 3cm.
- To make the shortbread, mix 250g plain flour and 75g caster sugar in a bowl. Rub in 175g softened butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Knead the mixture together until it forms a dough, then press into the base of the prepared tin.
- Prick the shortbread lightly with a fork and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch and very lightly browned. Leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the caramel, place 100g butter or margarine, 100g light muscovado sugar and the can of condensed milk in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Continually stir with a spatula to make sure no sugar sticks to the bottom of the pan. (This can leave brown specks in the caramel but won't affect the flavour.)
- Turn up the heat to medium high, stirring all the time, and bring to the boil, then lower the heat back to low and stirring continuously, for about 5-10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly. Pour over the shortbread and leave to cool.
- For the topping, melt 200g plain or milk chocolate slowly in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Pour over the cold caramel and leave to set. Cut into squares or bars with a hot knife.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 248 calories, Fat 13 grams fat, SaturatedFat 8 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 29 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 21 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.3 milligram of sodium
QUICK MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD
- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with an even layer of coconut cooking spray. Lay the graham crackers out on the baking sheet in a single layer. Set aside.
- Add the chopped semisweet chocolate to a heatsafe mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Add the coconut oil to the bowl with the chocolate and allow it to melt. Heat, stirring, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Leave the mixture in the pan, over the water, until ready to use.
- In a separate bowl, add the chopped chocolate candies and candy bars and mix to combine.
- Spoon the dulce de leche into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 15-second increments, stirring in between to make sure it doesn't burn, until slightly softened and more spreadable. The time needed will vary on your microwave--roughly 30 to 90 seconds.
- Scoop the warm dulce de leche onto the graham cracker base and spread it nearly to the edges using an offset spatula.
- Give the melted chocolate and coconut oil mixture a quick stir and pour it over the dulce de leche, spreading it evenly with a clean offset spatula. Working quickly, sprinkle the candies over the top of the dulce de leche.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the fridge and chill, uncovered, until set, about 2 hours. Once chilled, carefully remove from the baking sheet to a cutting board. Using a long serrated knife, cut the slab into 30 roughly 2-inch squares. Smaller is better as they're rich! Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 2 (8-inch) square nonstick pans and coat with flour, tapping off excess. Place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse once. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles peas. Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pans and bake until golden brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Continue stirring over the heat until mixture becomes thick and amber in color, about 15 minutes. Pour the caramel over the cooked shortbread and spread evenly using an offset spatula. Cool to room temperature.
- In a glass bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Once chocolate has melted, pour it over the cooled caramel layer. Cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes, and then place in the refrigerator to cool completely, allowing chocolate to slightly harden but not get hard. Cut into 2-inch squares and enjoy, or store in an airtight container, at room temperature, or my favorite - keep in the refrigerator for a yummy sweet and cool treat!
This is a delicious Millionaire's shortbread recipe! It makes a great dessert or snack that will have your family begging for more. The only problem you are going to have is trying to stop yourself from eating it all!
Provided by Miija Veley
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Rub in butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Mix in brown sugar and shape dough into a ball.
- Press dough into the prepared pan. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven until set and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine condensed milk, butter, and brown sugar in a nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until caramel comes to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until golden and pulling away from the sides of the pan, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour caramel over cooled crust and refrigerate until firm to the touch, about 1 hour.
- Place chocolate in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir frequently, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, until chocolate is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Spread melted chocolate over cooled caramel. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens, about 15 minutes. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 364.2 calories, Carbohydrate 44.7 g, Cholesterol 44.8 mg, Fat 18.7 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 5.4 g, SaturatedFat 11.4 g, Sodium 136.5 mg, Sugar 31.6 g
More about "millionaire shortbread recipes"
BEST MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ...
5/5 (4)Category BakingOccupation Food DirectorTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD (FREEZER FRIENDLY) - SPEND WITH …
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Combine flour, butter, and sugar with a mixer or pastry cutter until crumbly. Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Combine butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil, watching carefully and stirring continually.
- Place chocolate and cream in a small pot over low heat. Stir constantly until melted and pour over firm caramel layer and spread evenly. Optional: sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD RECIPE (EASY TO FOLLOW!) - THE ...
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Combine butter, flour and sugar for crust with a mixer or pastry cutter until crumbly. Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake 12 minutes or until it looks slightly puffed and dry. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling.
- Combine butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil, watching carefully and stirring continually.
MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD BARS | RECIPE RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
4/5 (1)Servings 48
- Combine 1 cup butter and sugar in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. Add flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix to combine (mixture will be crumbly). Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove from oven; let cool while making caramel.
- Stir all Caramel ingredients together except vanilla in heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 20-25 minutes or until candy thermometer reaches 236-239°F. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. (Caramel may be speckled with brown bits.) Pour caramel over baked crust and spread evenly (mixture will be very hot). Let cool 1 1/2 hours.
- Microwave chocolate at 50% power in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth. Spread over cooled caramel; sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until chocolate is just set. Let bars sit at room temperature 20 minutes before cutting.
MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD RECIPE - BROWN EYED BAKER
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Make the Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil, allowing at least an inch overhang on all sides. Spray with nonstick cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt, making sure there are no lumps of brown sugar remaining. Add the butter and cut into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or two knives until a coarse meal forms. Add the ice water and egg yolk and blend with a fork until moist clumps form. Dump the dough into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Make the Caramel: Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, golden syrup and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, the butter melts and the mixture comes to a boil. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and boil, whisking constantly, until the caramel is thick and the temperature registers 225 degrees F, about 6 minutes. Quickly whisk in the vanilla extract and pour the caramel over the prepared crust; cool for about 15 minutes, or until the caramel is set.
- For Chocolate Ganache: Place the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals on 50% power, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Spread the chocolate over the caramel layer. Refrigerate the bars until the chocolate is set, at least 1 hour.
BEST EVER EASY MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD RECIPE | KITCHEN …
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
- Grease and line the baking tin then preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 170°C/356°F. Beat together the butter and sugar in a stand mixer (or large bowl with an electric hand whisk) until light and fluffy.
MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
- Prepare the Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Pulse flour, powdered sugar, pecans, and salt in a food processor until thoroughly combined and pecans are finely chopped, 8 to 10 pulses. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 or 9 pulses. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil with cooking spray. Press mixture evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Caramel Layer: Stir together condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, cream, cane syrup, and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer registers between 236°F and 239°F, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Immediately pour over cooled crust, and spread to even thickness using a small offset spatula. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Prepare the Chocolate Layer: Place chopped chocolate in a medium-size microwavable bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM power (50%) until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread chocolate evenly over cooled caramel layer. Let stand 5 minutes, and, if desired, sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Chill shortbread until chocolate is just set, about 10 minutes.
SOFT AND CHEWY MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD BARS RECIPE | THE ...
- Combine the condensed milk, sugar and butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir for around 6-7 minutes until the mixture is smooth and thickened slightly.
- Once the caramel is cool to the touch, place the chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl and set aside.
PERFECTED MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD (CARAMEL SQUARES ...
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) then butter and line an 8-inch (or 9-inch) square pan. Set aside.
- Place the sweetened condensed milk and butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat while whisking constantly.
- Melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel. Smooth until leveled. Allow setting at room temperature for the chocolate to harden and cut into 16 squares using a warm knife. Store any leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for 5 days.
MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD | AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN
Cuisine Great BritainServings 40
MILLIONAIRES SHORTBREAD RECIPE | CARNATION
5/5 (110)Servings 16
MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD RECIPE - WALKER'S SHORTBREAD
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
HOW TO MAKE ONE OF OUR MOST POPULAR …
EAGLE BRAND® | MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD BARS
MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD RECIPE: CARAMEL SHORTBREAD BAKING ...
3/5 (3)Category DessertCuisine AustralianTotal Time 2 hrs 50 mins
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper, leaving plenty of overhang.
- 2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter, and pulse until the mixture looks crumbly with some large pieces of butter remaining. Add the egg yolks, and pulse a few more times to incorporate.
- 3. Transfer the shortbread-crust mixture to the prepared pan and press down into an even layer, using your hands or a measuring cup. Using a fork, poke holes across the surface.
- 4. Bake until the shortbread is golden brown, about 25–30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature before assembling.
MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD (CONTEST WINNER!)
4.5/5 (52)Category DessertsCuisine AmericanTotal Time 2 hrs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil, pushing the foil neatly into the corners and up the sides of the pan, using two pieces if necessary to ensure that the foil overlaps all edges (the overhang will help removal from the pan). Spray the foiled pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the flour, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt; process until well combined and no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add the butter and pulse until a coarse meal forms. Add the ice water and egg yolk and blend until moist clumps form. Dump the dough into the prepared pan and press with your fingers into an even layer (dust your fingers with flour if the dough is too sticky). Pierce the dough all over with a fork and bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, golden syrup, vanilla and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, the butter melts and the mixture comes to a boil. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and boil gently, whisking constantly, until the caramel is thick and the temperature registers 225 degrees F, about 6 minutes. Pour the caramel over the warm crust; cool for about 15 minutes, or until caramel is set.
- Place the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is about 75% melted. Stir, allowing the residual heat in the bowl to melt the remaining chocolate, until smooth (if necessary, place the chocolate back in the microwave for a few more; just be sure not to overheat or the mixture will curdle). Spread the chocolate over the caramel layer. Refrigerate the bars until the chocolate is set, at least 1 hour. Using the foil overhang, lift the bars out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into small squares and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD - SUGAR SPUN RUN
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Add egg yolk and vanilla extract and stir well, pausing to scrape down the sides and mixing until ingredients are well-combined.
MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD RECIPE - BBC FOOD
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2. Line a 23cm/9in square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour and butter cubes in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. (Alternatively, you can rub the butter in by hand.)
- Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon. Then press the shortbread down firmly with your knuckles so that it is tightly packed in the tin.
- Meanwhile, for the topping, heat the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a saucepan, stirring occasionally until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently. The caramel will thicken and turn golden-brown. Set aside to cool slightly, then pour over the cooled shortbread.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water (ensure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water), stirring occasionally.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and set aside until the chocolate has cooled completely. Cut into squares and serve.
JANE DUNN'S MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD | THIS MORNING
EASY MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD VEGGIE WORLD RECIPES #SHORTS - YOUTUBE
#time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #occasion #desserts #lunch #snacks #european #holiday-event #cookies-and-brownies #scottish #dietary #christmas #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a millionaire’s shortbread?A millionaire’s shortbread recipe combines the best of three worlds: buttery, soft shortbread, salty-sweet caramel, and bittersweet, mellow chocolate.
How do you make shortbread from scratch?Try our millionaire’s shortbread then check out our classic shortbread, caramel shortbread and vegan shortbread. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm brownie or square tin. Put the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor and pulse until it forms a dough.
What is inside the amazingmillionaire shortbread bars?Millionaire Shortbread Bars boast tender layers of shortbread, topped with soft caramel and melted dark chocolate. What does this mean? When you see this badge, you know it will be good!
Are there vegan versions of millionaire shortbread?Our millionaire shortbread recipes include vegan alternatives and flavoured versions of this biscuit tin classic. A star rating of 4.3 out of 5. Combine the crunch of a shortbread base with a gooey caramel middle and chocolate topping, and you have millionaire's shortbread – the ultimate sweet treat A star rating of 4 out of 5.