UPPER PENINSULA PASTIES
I grew up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where many people are of English ancestry. Pasties-traditional meat pies often eaten by hand-are popular there. -Carole Lynn Derifield, Valdez, Alaska
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large bowl, stir shortening and water until shortening is melted. Gradually stir in flour and salt until a very soft dough is formed; cover and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours. , Cut potatoes and rutabagas into 1/8- or 1/4-inch cubes; do not make cubes too large or they will not cook properly. Gently combine ground beef and pork; break into small crumbles. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, rutabagas, onions, meat mixture and seasonings. , Divide dough into 12 equal portions. On a floured surface, roll out 1 portion at a time into a 8-in. circle. Mound 1-1/2 to 2 cups filling on half of each circle; dot with 1 teaspoon butter. Moisten edges with water; carefully fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. , Place on ungreased baking sheets. Cut several slits in top of pasties. If desired, brush with cream or beaten egg. Bake at 350° until golden brown, about 1 hour. Cool on wire racks. Serve hot or cold. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 757 calories, Fat 44g fat (13g saturated fat), Cholesterol 46mg cholesterol, Sodium 1060mg sodium, Carbohydrate 69g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 19g protein.
My mum made the best pasties on earth, but she's gone so I had to make them today from my memories. Pasties were a food we ate when we were poor, so there wasn't much meat in them compared to veg. Swede turnip is very important in pasties. Mum made her own pastry with dripping, but I don't save dripping!
Provided by JustJanS
Yield 5 Pasties
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 160c for a fan forced oven or 180c for non fan forced.
- Seperate pastry sheets and defrost. Using the largest dinner plate that will fit on the pastry square, cut circles.
- Mix filling ingredients together and divide into 5.
- Place 1/5th of the mixture along the centre of a pastry circle, then moisten edges with water and bring together crimping to seal.
- Repeat with remaining 4 circles of pastry.
- Place on a baking tray and brush with the glaze; cut a small hole in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Cook in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 25 (14-ounce) pasties
Number Of Ingredients 19
- For the filling: Add all ingredients for the filling into a large mixing bowl. Push the veggies into the meat until everything is mixed well. All of the veggies should bind together with the meat. If you have any loose veggies hanging out keep mixing and binding. Set aside until ready to build pasties.
- For the crust: In a separate large mixing bowl, add the flour and salt. Combine together, and then add the 2 types of shortening. Break up the shortening while working it in with the flour. You want to have small, pea size pieces of shortening and flour combined yet not over mixed. In a separate bowl, blend the eggs, water, and vinegar. Add to the flour and mix and fold the contents together, gently pushing the flour and liquid mixture until they are together in a large dough consistency. Pick up the mix and continue to turn it over on top of the liquid and just push it down into the liquid not to over mix the dough. Cover the dough and chill it before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Take a portion of the dough and lay on a floured counter. Roll out the dough to no more than 1/4- inch thickness. Roll out as big of a sheet as you are comfortable with; we use an 8-inch plate and cut out crusts for each pastie. After cutting the crust, work the scraps back into the next sheets. Do this as many times as it takes to use up all the dough. With a consistent thickness you should get about 25 crusts.
- Once you have your crusts rolled out you can begin filling. Lay out your crusts and egg wash half of the inside crust. Lay 1 cup of filling in the center of each crust. Fold in half gently, careful not to tear the dough. After folding, use a fork to crimp the crusts. Place pasties on a lined baking sheet, poke fork holes on top to create air pockets, egg wash the top, and place in the oven. Bake until the crust is golden brown and an internal temperature is reached of 160 degrees F.
PASTIES were a must years ago when men worked the mines in northern Michigan. The housewives made them in the morning and wrapped them tightly in newspaper so they would stay warm until lunch break. Everyone used to say my mom made the best pasties in the world. This is her recipe. -Vivienne Abraham, Detroit, Michigan
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over potato mixture and mix well. Add butter and toss to coat; set aside. , For pastry, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. , Divide dough into five portions; roll each into a 10-in. circle. Place 1 cup of filling in the center of each circle. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges tightly with a fork; cut slits in the top of each. , Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 958 calories, Fat 49g fat (14g saturated fat), Cholesterol 43mg cholesterol, Sodium 1026mg sodium, Carbohydrate 101g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 25g protein.
A traditional Upper Peninsula of Michigan treat! Complete with rutabaga! I am from the UP and this is the real deal! Rub pasties with a little milk for a golden color.
Provided by RaiderMom
Categories Main Dish Recipes Savory Pie Recipes Pasty Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, potatoes, onion, rutabaga and chopped carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Divide dough into six pieces, and shape into balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 6 inch round. Place approximately 1 cup filling on one half of each. Dot each with 1 tablespoon margarine. Draw the other half of the pastry over the filling. Crimp edges to seal in filling. Prick with a fork and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 887.1 calories, Carbohydrate 72 g, Cholesterol 47.6 mg, Fat 55.3 g, Fiber 4.5 g, Protein 25 g, SaturatedFat 14.3 g, Sodium 762 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
More about "pasties ii recipes"
THE PERFECT TRADITIONAL CORNISH PASTY RECIPE
Ratings 455Category Lunch, Snack, Dinner, PiesAuthor Elaine LemmCalories 329 per serving
196 WARTIME RECIPES – THE 1940'S EXPERIMENT
BEEF PASTIES RECIPE - COOK IT REAL GOOD
AUTHENTIC CORNISH PASTY RECIPE - THE DARING GOURMET
THE DONOVAN'S IRISH PASTIES - FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
PASTY RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
PASTY RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
HOMEMADE PASTIES RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
PASTIES II | RECIPE | PASTIES RECIPES, RECIPES, PASTIES
UPPER PENINSULA PASTIES RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
PASTIES II - ENGLISH RECIPES
INDONESIAN PASTIES – PASTEL GORENG II - NOMBELINA.COM
10 BEST MUSHROOM PASTIES RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
PASTIES II | RECIPE | PASTIES RECIPES, PASTIES, FOREIGN FOOD
EASY CORNISH PASTIES RECIPE | RECIPE POCKET
RECIPE FOR PASTIES RECIPES
MULDOONS PASTY RECIPE - PRASANNAADAVI.COM
IRISH PASTIES – GALAXY TRAINING
MINI MEAT PASTIES - THERESCIPES.INFO
CORNISH PASTIES | KING ARTHUR BAKING
PASTIES II | RECIPE | PASTIES RECIPES, RECIPES, FOOD
STEAK PASTIES - THERESCIPES.INFO
PASTIES II RECIPE | PASTIES RECIPES, RECIPES, PASTIES
PASTY RECIPES - BBC FOOD
BEST COOKING CARROT RECIPES: PASTIES II
HOW TO MAKE EASY YEAST DOUGH FOR HOMEMADE FRIED PASTIES RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE BEEF EMPANADAS II DEEP FRIED BEEF PASTIES II FILIPINO …
PASTIES II | RECIPE | PASTIES RECIPES, AMISH RECIPES, COOKING RECIPES
PASTY RECIPES - LAKE SUPERIOR MAGAZINE
THE BEST PASTIES RECIPE RECIPES - TUTDEMY.COM
PASTIES II | RECIPESTY
CORNISH PASTIES AUSTRALIAN STYLE RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
PASTIES DOUGH RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
RECIPES/PASTIES-II.JSON AT MASTER · DPAPATHANASIOU/RECIPES · GITHUB
GREAT GRANDMA JOHNS' PASTIES - PASTY RECIPES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love