PERFECT POT ROAST (SLOW-COOKER)
Quick and easy in the crockpot. A juicy roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. I like to thicken the pan juices with cornstarch to make a tasty gravy to serve with this meal.
Provided by Tee Lee
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Place roast into crockpot and surround with vegetables.
- Combine beef broth and vegetable soup mix, then add to crockpot.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours.
PERFECT POT ROAST
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Combine the salt, pepper, and ground fennel in a small bowl. Generously season the roast with the spice mixture.
- Add enough oil to a large Dutch oven to coat the bottom. Heat it over medium-high heat, add the roast, and sear 8 to 10 minutes total, turning to brown all sides. Transfer the roast to a bowl.
- Add the carrots, onions, and garlic and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until browned, 5 to 8 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove the vegetables and place in a clean bowl.
- Deglaze the pot with 1 cup of the cider. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat. Add 2 cups of the broth and bring it to a boil again.
- Add 4 sprigs of the thyme, the rosemary, bay leaf, and roast to the pot (reserving the vegetables in the bowl). Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot, place it in the oven, and roast for 2 hours. Add the reserved vegetables and roast for 1 more hour, until the roast is fork-tender but not mushy.
- Remove the roast and vegetables to a large bowl or platter and cover to keep warm. Let the braising liquid cool slightly, then strain the liquid into a bowl (discard the solids).
- Skim off any fat that has risen to the top.
- Purée the braising liquid in a blender.
- To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine with the oil. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cider and the tomato paste and mix well.
- Return the braising liquid to the pot along with the remaining 1 1/2 cups beef broth and the remaining 2 thyme sprigs. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the thyme sprigs.
- To serve, slice the pot roast, arrange the vegetables around it, and pour the sauce over the top.
- Variations: Tipsy Pot Roast
- In many pot roast recipes, there is an element of alcohol. In mine, I use hard cider, but you can also try red wine, a heavy beer, or-for your Irish friends-Guinness. The booze gives the meat an extra dimension but won't get the family hammered.
PERFECT POT ROAST
Cooking meats, I have to confess, isn't my specialty. But everyone who tastes this main-course dish wants more! I'm a mostly at-home mom. I like to sew and read. I also enjoy gardening-we grow a good-sized patch, and it's so nice to have fresh-picked tomatoes and spinach when I make salads.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8-10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Combine first four ingredients; rub onto roast. In a skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in a roasting pan. Add water, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender. , Remove and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan juices. Measure juices and transfer to a saucepan. , For each cup of juices, combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water; mix well. Stir flour mixture into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast.
Nutrition Facts :
PERFECT POT ROAST
Feed your family with Ree Drummond's Perfect Pot Roast recipe from Food Network. Fresh rosemary and thyme add rich, herbal resonance to this hearty roast.
Provided by Ree Drummond : Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast.
- Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
- Throw the carrots into the same very hot pot and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so. Reserve the carrots with the onions.
- If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pot. Place the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
- With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Place the roast back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
- Add in the onions and the carrots, along with the fresh herbs.
- Put the lid on, then roast for 3 hours for a 3-pound roast. For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours. The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.
More about "perfect pot roast recipes"
PERFECT POT ROAST - RECIPES THAT CROCK!
5/5 (1)Category MainServings 6Total Time 2 hrs 10 mins
PERFECT POT ROAST - STONEGABLE
4/4 (1)Total Time 3 hrs 35 minsEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
THE PERFECT CROCK POT ROAST - RECIPES THAT CROCK!
Ratings 138Calories 586 per servingCategory Main
PERFECT POT ROAST - LIFE MADE SIMPLE
4.9/5 (24)Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanTotal Time 4 hrs 10 mins
THE PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE FOR THE SLOW COOKER
Calories 184Saturated Fat 1g 3%Cholesterol 3mg 1%Total Fat 6g 8%
OUR 20 BEST POT ROAST RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Author Mary Claire Lagroue
PERFECT POT ROAST WITH POT ROAST GRAVY - SIMPLY SATED
4.1/5 (113)Total Time 4 hrs 20 minsCategory Entree, Meat Dish
- Heat olive oil and butter in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place the halved onions in the pot. Brown onions on both sides, remove them from the heat to a large plate.
HOW TO MAKE POT ROAST | ALLRECIPES
Author Vanessa GreavesPublished 2019-02-21Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Choose the Right Roast. It might surprise you, but the best pot roasts starts with the toughest cuts of meat. Chuck roast: Look for boneless chuck roast, chuck shoulder, blade roast, shoulder steak, chuck eye, or seven-bone roast.
- Pat-Dry the Meat. Use paper towels to remove surface moisture before you move on to seasoning and searing the meat. Drying the meat results in a better sear.
- Season Before Searing. Even if your recipe doesn't call for it, rubbing the roast with salt and pepper (and other optional dried herbs and spices) before searing it adds extra flavor to the meat as well as to the finished dish.
- Give It a Serious Sear. You might be tempted to simply dump the roast in the pot and walk away, but searing the meat first will caramelize the natural sugars in the meat and brown the protein, resulting in the depth of flavor you want in a mouthwatering pot roast.
- Sauté the Vegetables. Pot roast recipes often include chopped or diced onions, carrots, and celery that cook along with the roast to make a flavorful sauce.
- No Dutch Oven? No Problem. Here's what worked for homecook MOLLE88: "I don't have a Dutch oven, so I just seared this on all sides in a frying pan, then put the roast in an 8x8 glass baking dish, covering very tightly.
- Add Liquid... or Not. Some recipes deglaze the pot with liquid such as broth, wine, beer, tomato sauce, etc., and then add more liquid around the roast to create a braise.
- Low and Slow is the Way to Go. Whether you cook your pot roast using a stovetop, oven, slow cooker, or pressure cooker method, you'll always get the most tender and flavorful results if you use low temperatures over a long period of time.
- Add Extra Herbs at the End. If you're adding a delicate leafy herb like parsley to your pot roast, stir it in when the pot roast has finished cooking, or simply top each serving with a sprinkle of freshly minced parsley.
BEST POT ROAST RECIPE - PIONEER WOMAN POT ROAST
5/5 (17)Category Main Dish, MeatServings 10Total Time 4 hrs 20 mins
PERFECT POT ROAST (SO TENDER & FLAVORFUL!) - SPEND WITH ...
5/5 (121)Total Time 4 hrs 35 minsCategory Beef, Dinner, Entree, Main CourseCalories 579 per serving
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the roast on each side until browned, about 4 minutes per side adding more oil if needed.
- Arrange onions around the roast. Combine wine, broth, rosemary, garlic, and thyme. Pour over the roast. Add bay leaf.
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPE - SELF PROCLAIMED FOODIE
5/5 (6)Total Time 4 hrs 50 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 660 per serving
- Get a dutch oven nice and hot over medium high heat. Pat dry the chuck roast, then cover both sides with the first teaspoon of kosher salt. Add the oil to the dutch oven and when it gets nice and hot, sear both sides of the meat until deeply browned, about 10 minutes per side.
- Remove the meat from the dutch oven and transfer to a plate. Add the butter to the dutch oven and melt over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits that pay have stuck to the pot. Once melted, add the flour, stir, and allow to brown for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the onion dip mix and stir. Add the beef stock and the red wine. Allow to come to a boil, stirring occasionally and scraping any bits that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Once the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and add the meat along with any of the juices from the plate along with the remaining salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves to the dutch oven. Cover tightly with lid and cook in preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn the beef over in the pot and add the carrots and potatoes, pushing them down into the liquid as much as possible. Cover the dutch oven and continue to cook, stirring the vegetables once, for 1 to 1 1/2 more hours, until the vegetables are tender.
PERFECT POT ROAST RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
2.6/5 (200)Total Time 15 minsServings 6
THE PERFECT SOUTHERN POT ROAST RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
PERFECT POT ROAST AND GRAVY RECIPE | MEL'S KITCHEN CAFE
4.5/5 (111)Category BeefServings 8Total Time 8 hrs 15 mins
PERFECT POT ROAST AND GRAVY - MOM ON TIMEOUT
Reviews 22Calories 460 per servingCategory Entree
POT ROAST RECIPES : FOOD NETWORK | FOOD NETWORK
MAKE A PERFECT POT ROAST WITH POTATOES, CARROTS & ONIONS ...
THE PERFECT BAKED POT ROAST RECIPE IN THE OVEN • CHRISTINA ...
RECIPE FOR PERFECT POT ROAST - TFRECIPES.COM
BEST ROAST BEEF RECIPE - HOW TO COOK PERFECT ROAST BEEF IN ...
PERFECT POT ROAST | CANADIAN LIVING
PERFECT EVERY TIME POT ROAST RECIPE | THE MCCALLUM'S ...
PERFECT ROAST BEEF RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER CHRISTMAS RECIPES
THE PERFECT POT ROAST - RACHEL COOKS®
HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT POT ROAST | YOU CAN COOK THAT ...
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #very-low-carbs #main-dish #beef #dietary #low-carb #low-in-something #meat #roast-beef #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook a pot roast in the oven?Add 4 sprigs of the thyme, the rosemary, bay leaf, and roast to the pot (reserving the vegetables in the bowl). Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot, place it in the oven, and roast for 2 hours. Add the reserved vegetables and roast for 1 more hour, until the roast is fork-tender but not mushy.
How do you make a roast tender in a crock pot?They key to getting roasts tender in a slow cooker is to cook them on low over a long period of time. Our rule of thumb anytime a roast is still tough, cook it another hour and check it again. The Perfect Crock Pot Roast should be full of flavor and fall a part tender. We used brown gravy mix in this recipe.
What are the best cuts of beef for a pot roast?Perfect for pot roast recipes, inexpensive chuck is one of the most flavorful cuts of beef. Simmering it slowly and gently in the oven results in a wonderfully tender pot roast. Vegetables like onions and potatoes give the pot roast recipe even more comforting flavors.
What do you put in a pot roast?This pot roast is an all-in-one meal that your family will love. Carrots, rutabaga, and potatoes make this classic beef pot roast a hearty one-pot meal. If you have other favorite vegetables you like in a pot roast, feel free to add them. Parsnips and turnips may be added.