SPANISH STEAMED MUSSELS
I was first introduced to preparing Spanish cuisine during a World Tour game on this site. Since then, I have greatly enjoyed making tapas and other Spanish recipes. This is an easy appetizer with some Spanish flair!
Provided by JackieOhNo
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a Dutch oven or large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5-8 minutes or until softened. Add chickpeas, tomatoes and wine; bring to boiling. Cook and stir 2-4 minutes.
- Add mussels to pot; stir gently to coat. Cover and simmer 5-8 minutes or until mussels open fully (discard any mussels that do not open.).
- Spoon mussels and cooking liquid into individual bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with lemon wedges (if desired).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 320.5, Fat 9.2, SaturatedFat 1.5, Cholesterol 63.7, Sodium 833.6, Carbohydrate 24.9, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 1, Protein 30.5
STEAMED MUSSELS I
- Fill a large pot with mussels. Sprinkle chopped onions and garlic over the shellfish. Do not add water, as mussels produce all the water needed for steaming! Cook over high heat until most or all of the mussels open. Discard any that do not open.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 166.9 calories, Carbohydrate 7.7 g, Cholesterol 71.2 mg, Fat 2.1 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 27.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.2 g, Sodium 393 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
SPICY SPANISH MUSSELS
Of all of the mussel recipes I tested this week, this was the hands-down favorite. Inspired by a spicy mussel dish I enjoyed at Bar Pilar, a tapas bar in Valencia, years ago, this dish is made special by the crunchy almond and hazelnut picada added after the mussels are steamed.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, main course
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Clean the mussels. Inspect each one carefully and discard any that have opened (if some are partly open, tap them with your finger and if they close back up they are O.K.) or have cracked shells. Place in a large bowl, fill the bowl with cold water and rinse several times, swishing the mussels around in the water, pouring out the water and refilling. Clean the shells, if necessary, with a brush or the end of one of the mussels, and pull out the beards - the hairy attachments emerging from the shells. Do not do this until just before cooking, or the mussels will die and spoil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large Dutch oven, soup pot or lidded frying pan and add the hazelnuts and almonds. Cook, stirring, until the nuts are golden brown and smell toasty, and add half the garlic. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, taking care not to let it color and burn, about 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mortar and pestle or a mini food processor. Allow to cool, then mash or pulse until the mixture is just short of pasty; the nuts should retain some finely chopped texture. Work in 1 tablespoon of the parsley and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until it is tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt, the remaining garlic and the chili and cook, stirring, for another minute, until the garlic is translucent. Add the tomatoes, a pinch of sugar and salt and pepper to taste, and turn the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring often, until the mixture has cooked down and is very fragrant.
- Add the white wine and saffron and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and steam 4 to 5 minutes, until they open. Stir the mussels halfway through to make sure they are evenly exposed to the heat. As they open, remove to a bowl with tongs. Discard any that have not opened. Keep warm.
- Stir the nut and garlic mixture and the remaining parsley into the tomato sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning. Distribute the mussels among 4 wide soup bowls and spoon the sauce over. Serve with bread for sopping up the sauce.
- To skin hazelnuts, toast in a 300-degree oven for 20 minutes, until they begin to smell toasty. Remove from the heat and wrap in a clean dish towel. Rub the nuts in the towel and the skins will slip off. Turn the oven up to 350 degrees and roast for another 5 to 10 minutes, until light brown and toasty.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 543, UnsaturatedFat 13 grams, Carbohydrate 30 grams, Fat 20 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 51 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 1405 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams, TransFat 0 grams
STEAMED MUSSELS II
Less is more when it comes to cooking mussels! Use only fresh mussels, which are tightly closed when you buy them. If you can't find fresh mussels, make something else! Serve with slices of fresh crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth.
Provided by STEPHANO
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a medium stock pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until translucent.
- Pour in wine and mussels. Raise heat to medium/high and steam mussels until shells open, about 5 minutes.
- Pour mussels and cooking liquid into a serving bowl, sprinkle with parsley and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 158.1 calories, Carbohydrate 5.4 g, Cholesterol 42 mg, Fat 6.6 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 10.7 g, SaturatedFat 3.7 g, Sodium 195.6 mg, Sugar 1.9 g
PORTUGUESE-STYLE STEAMED MUSSELS
- In a large (6 quart) casserole or soup pot over medium-high heat, combine olive oil and bay leaves. Heat for 1 minute, then add garlic, onion and red bell pepper. Saute vegetables until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sausage and wine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add mussels. Cover and steam until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Remove mussels to serving bowls. Return pot to medium heat, and add parsley, cilantro and black pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over mussels, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 625, UnsaturatedFat 21 grams, Carbohydrate 23 grams, Fat 32 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 49 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 1334 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams
SPANISH INSPIRED MUSSELS RECIPE
Experience seafood delight when you make this Spanish Inspired Mussels Recipe. Fresh and rich flavors combine to make this mussels recipe full of great textures that'll impress anyone who comes over for dinner.
Provided by My Food and Family
Yield Makes 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat olive oil in large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add ham, onions and garlic; cook 5 min., until lightly browned and tender.
- Add broth; bring to boil. Stir in mussels; cover. Cook 4 to 5 min. or until all mussels have opened. (Discard any unopened mussels.)
- Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and parsley; mix well. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 140, Fat 6 g, SaturatedFat 1.5 g, TransFat 0 g, Cholesterol 40 mg, Sodium 380 mg, Carbohydrate 0 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugar 0 g, Protein 16 g
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH SOFRITO
Sofrito is a sautéed vegetable mixture used as a seasoning in Spain, Italy and Latin America. This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
Yield Serves 2
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Scrub mussels well and remove beards. Cut bell peppers into 1/2-inch pieces and transfer half to a blender, reserving remaining half in a bowl. Chop onion and garlic. Add onion, garlic, cilantro, oregano, and cumin to blender and puree until smooth.
- In a 4-quart kettle heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook puree, stirring, 2 minutes. Add mussels, reserved bell peppers, wine, and broth and simmer, covered, 4 to 8 minutes, checking mussels occasionally after 4 minutes and transferring them as they open to a bowl. (Discard any unopened mussels after 8 minutes.) Season sauce with orange juice and salt and pepper. Serve mussels with sauce and bread.
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH WINE AND SAFFRON
- Holding mussels under cool running water, scrub with a stiff sponge or vegetable brush, then debeard: grip the tough fibers extending from the shell and pull to remove. Discard beards.
- Steep saffron in wine for 10 minutes. (Saffron is soluble in water, not fat, so it won't release its color or flavor if added directly to the butter.) Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-high heat in a shallow stockpot. Once it's foamy, add shallots, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until shallots are transparent and garlic is soft, about 3 minutes, stirring every so often to keep garlic from scorching. Pour in wine and saffron, then add tomatoes and return to a simmer, stirring once or twice.
- Add mussels and cover tightly. Cook until all mussels open, about 6 minutes, stirring once about halfway through. Discard any unopened mussels. If using wild mussels, strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined sieve to remove any sand, if necessary. Taste the broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parsley before ladling mussels and broth into bowls.
More about "spanish steamed mussels recipes"
STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - MEJILLONES AL VAPOR - SPAIN …
Servings 3Total Time 10 minsEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
SPANISH STYLE STEAMED MUSSELS - THE SOUP SPOON
HOW TO MAKE SPANISH STYLE MUSSELS RECIPE!
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH CHORIZO AND FENNEL RECIPE - JAMES BEARD …
MUSSELS VINAIGRETTE (MEJILLONES EN VINAGRETA)
SPANISH MUSSELS RECIPE WITH PAPRIKA & TOMATOES - YOUTUBE
SPANISH MUSSELS RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
GALICIAN STYLE MUSSELS IN WHITE WINE AND AN ALBARIñO WINE PAIRING
MEDITERRANEAN STEAMED MUSSELS | CANADIAN LIVING
35 MUSSELS RECIPES THAT ARE QUICK, EASY, AND ELEGANT | EPICURIOUS
MUSSELS AL DIABLO - SPANISH TAPAS SEAFOOD RECIPE
RECIPE FOR SPANISH MUSSELS IN SAILOR'S SAUCE - EAT …
SPANISH MUSSELS RECIPE WITH PAPRIKA & TOMATOES - SPAIN …
CURRIED STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
FRENCH STEAMED MUSSELS - CAFE DELITES
THE 20 BEST MUSSEL RECIPES - GYPSYPLATE
MEXICAN-STYLE STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - FOOD.COM
EASY STEAMED MUSSELS - FOOLPROOF RECIPE! - SPAIN BUDDY
HOW TO MAKE SPANISH STYLE MUSSELS RECIPE!
SPANISH MUSSELS RECIPE WITH CHORIZO, SAFFRON, AND WINE | SO MUCH …
SPANISH MUSSELS (FLAVORFUL MUSSELS IN SAILORS SAUCE) - BAKE IT WITH …
SPANISH MUSSELS VINAIGRETTE MEJILLONES A LA VINAGRETA RECIPES
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH SPANISH CHORIZO - OUR WILD SAVORY KITCHEN
SPANISH MUSSELS RECIPE | MUSSELS WITH CHISTORRA SAUSAGE & TXAKOLI
MEJILLONES EN ESCABECHE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
MUSSELS SPANISH-STYLE RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
STEAMED MUSSELS ITALIAN-STYLE RECIPE - MYGOURMETCONNECTION
THE BEST WAY TO STEAM MUSSELS — SIMPLE FRENCH COOKING
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH TOMATO AND CHORIZO BROTH RECIPE - BON …
SPANISH MUSSELS WITH CHORIZO AND CAVA RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
PILAR VALDES' STEAMED MUSSELS | THE DREW BARRYMORE SHOW
BEST STEAMED MUSSELS WITH CHORIZO AND FENNEL RECIPE - HOW TO …
SPANISH PICKLED (MARINATED) MUSSELS: MEJILLONES EN ESCABECHE RECIPE
EASY STEAMED MUSSELS IN TOMATO SAUCE - OH, THE THINGS WE'LL …
STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - DINNER AT THE ZOO
STEAMED MUSSELS IN SAFFRON CHORIZO BROTH - COOKING WITH COCKTAIL …
CATALAN MUSSELS RECIPE | MUSSELS WITH TOMATO, BASIL, LEMON AND …
Steamed Mussels Recipe - Mejillones al Vapor1.6K views-03:14
Steamed Mussels with Garlic Saffron Sauce1.9K views-04:34
Spanish Marinated Mussels in Escabeche Sauce4.4K views-04:49
Spanish Paella with Mussels & Turkey Sausage2.4K views-06:24
Mussels in marinara sauce recipe (MEJILLONES A LA MARINERA) | Spanish Kitchen221 views-05:24
Super Easy Spanish Tapa: Marinated Mussels1.8K views-02:47
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook mussels in Spanish cooking?The recipe for Spanish steamed mussels is one of the easiest in the Spanish cuisine, it will literally take you about 5 to 10 minutes to make them. Cut in slices half of a lemon and make a cut in the 4 garlic cloves. In a big pan, add all the ingredients: the water, oil, lemon, garlic, bay leaves (cut in half), parsley, salt and ground pepper.
How do you cook mussels on the stove?In a medium stock pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until translucent. Pour in wine and mussels. Raise heat to medium/high and steam mussels until shells open, about 5 minutes.
What is steamed mussels?A Provençal style of cooking, steamed mussels gives you tender mussels simmered in white wine, butter and garlic cream broth. A classy touch, perfect for special gatherings or dinner parties, the quality of the ingredients you’re using makes a big difference.
How to make the best mussels fillet?Cut in slices half of a lemon and make a cut in the 4 garlic cloves. In a big pan, add all the ingredients: the water, oil, lemon, garlic, bay leaves (cut in half), parsley, salt and ground pepper. After that add the mussels.