SEARED OPAH (MOONFISH) WITH VINE-RIPE TOMATO GARLIC BUTTER
It's my understanding that Opah isn't easy to come by, so I was thrilled when I found some. Then I discovered that there are not many recipes out on the internet, so recipes are also hard to come by. I found this one and we loved both the fish and the recipe. I also had to search for a recipe for the Tomato Concasse, so included it here for convenience. Just as a note, I didn't use nearly as much butter as the recipe calls for. From Chef Linda Yamada of the Beach House in Hawaii.
Provided by lazyme
Categories < 60 Mins
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Make the Tomato Concasse: (The French word means to roughly chop).
- Remove the core of the tomato with the tip of a small knife.
- At the other end, lightly score (just break the skin) of the tomato by cutting an X.
- Plunge the tomatoes into a pot of rapidly boiling water for 10 seconds (blanch).
- Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl of ice water or under cold running water to halt the cooking process (this process is called 'refreshing').
- The peel should now just slip off; if the tomatoes are not quite ripe, they may need to be blanched and refreshed again.
- Place the tomatoes on a cutting board with the core side down and cut in half.
- Remove the seeds with a teaspoon and discard.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes to the desired size.
- Gently cook the shallots and the tomatoes in butter without coloring them (this is called sweating) for 5 minutes and set aside until required.
- For the Fish:.
- Heat the saute pan on medium heat until hot.
- Add in oil; season both sides of fillets with salt and pepper.
- Sear on both sides until medium done, approximately 4 - 5 minutes total depending on thickness of fish.
- Remove from pan; add garlic; stir consistently.
- Add tomato concasse, lemon juice and white wine on medium heat; let reduce until most liquid is gone.
- On low heat, add in butter a little at a time.
- Remove from heat; add in chopped parsley and season.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 959.9, Fat 103.9, SaturatedFat 65.6, Cholesterol 274.6, Sodium 23.3, Carbohydrate 8.2, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 3.3, Protein 2.7
STEAMED OPAH (MOONFISH)
- To prepare this dish you need a steamer, or you can improvise like the Chinese do with a regular covered pot into which you put a bowl upside down with a plate on top.
- Season the opah with salt and pepper and marinate in the olive oil and wine for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mix Ginger Pesto ingredients.
- Arrange the fish in your steamer and spread about 1 teaspoon of pesto on each fillet.
- Steam for 6 to 8 minutes, or until done.
- Serve on top of a dollops of Garlic Mashed Potatoes, surrounded by Ginger Cream Sauce.
- To make the sauce, combine cream, mushrooms, shoyu and ginger.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer until reduced to the consistency you prefer.
- Fold in Chinese parsley and adjust seasonings with salt and white pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 560.6, Fat 59.5, SaturatedFat 29.2, Cholesterol 163, Sodium 272.3, Carbohydrate 5.1, Fiber 0.3, Sugar 0.4, Protein 2.9
More about "steamed opah moonfish recipes"
HOW TO COOK OPAH FISH AT HOME RECIPE - YOUTUBE
3 WAYS TO COOK OPAH - WIKIHOW
10 BEST OPAH RECIPES | YUMMLY
PAN SEARED OPAH WITH WARM CAPRESE SALAD
OPAH (MOONFISH) - THISFISH
OPAH BAKED IN PISTACHIO CRUST WITH GINGER ESSENCE
OPAH BOLOGNESE RECIPE - SALT PEPPER SKILLET
3 WAYS TO GRILL OPAH - WIKIHOW
10 OPAH RECIPES (+ MOONFISH DINNER IDEAS) - INSANELY GOOD
5/5 (1)Category Recipe Roundup, Seafood
HOW TO COOK OPAH? - BUTTERYPAN
MOONFISH RECIPES | DANDK ORGANIZER
CHINESE STYLE STEAMED FISH - HAWAIIAN ELECTRIC
OPAH FISH TASTE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
36 OPAH (MOONFISH) RECIPES IDEAS IN 2022 - FOOD NEWS
STEAMED OPAH (MOONFISH) - PLAIN.RECIPES
WORLD BEST SEA FOOD RECIPES: STEAMED OPAH (MOONFISH)
BAKED MOONFISH RECIPES | BESTO BLOG
HOW TO COOK MOONFISH - OUR EVERYDAY LIFE
10 OPAH RECIPES (+ MOONFISH DINNER IDEAS) - MAPPING WITH MANDY
OPAH MOONFISH RECIPES | BRYONT BLOG
MOONFISH RECIPES : VIEW QUICK RECIPE VIDEOS - NATASHAS KITCHEN
OPAH (MOONFISH) RECIPES - TOM'S AWESOME SEAFOOD
REAL GOOD FISH | RECIPE | | PAN-SEARED OPAH WITH VANILLA TOASTED ...
SEARED OPAH WITH SHIITAKE MUSHROOM SAUCE - HAWAIIAN ELECTRIC
OPAH RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
OPAH MOONFISH RECIPES | BESTO BLOG
ALL ABOUT MOONFISH (OPAH) | METRO
MOONFISH RECIPES | BRYONT BLOG
MOONFISH (OPAH) – HAWAII-SEAFOOD.ORG
WORLD BEST SEA FOOD RECIPES: SEARED OPAH (MOONFISH) WITH VINE …
PAN SEARED OPAH FILLET - CATALINA OFFSHORE ONLINE SEAFOOD MARKET
STEAMED OPAH (MOONFISH) | RECIPE | COOKING DINNER, COBBLER …
OPAH RECIPE BAKED RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
STEAMED OPAH (MOONFISH) RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE | EASY FISH …
SEARED OPAH OVER ASIAN GREENS - THE GOURMET GOURMAND
OPAH FISH RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
OPAH RECIPES | DANDK ORGANIZER
PANKO CRUSTED OPAH (MOONFISH) - UPPER CRUST ENTERPRISES, INC.
You'll also love