Learn how to make pumpkin puree from scratch using this easy recipe from Food Network.
Provided by Alton Brown
Yield 2 to 2 1/2 pounds puree
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice a small piece of skin off the one side of the pumpkin so when laid on its side, the pumpkin will lay flat without rolling. Remove the stem and split the pumpkin in half from top to bottom, using a large cleaver and a mallet. Scoop out the seeds and fiber with a large metal spoon or ice cream scoop. Cut the fibers with kitchen shears if necessary. Reserve seeds for another use.
- Sprinkle the flesh with kosher salt and lay the halves, flesh side down, on a parchment paper-lined half sheet pan. Roast until a paring knife can be easily inserted and removed from the pumpkin, 30 to 45 minutes. Test in several places to ensure doneness.
- Remove the half sheet pan to a cooling rack and cool the pumpkin for 1 hour. Using a large spoon, remove the roasted flesh of the pumpkin from the skin to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the flesh is smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Set a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with 1 inch water. Cover; bring to a boil. Add pumpkin. Cover; cook until very tender, about 15 minutes. Puree in a food processor until smooth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 40 g, Fat 1 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 2 g
INSTANT POT® PUMPKIN PUREE
While store-bought canned pumpkin puree is handy, nothing beats the flavor and smooth texture of homemade puree. It can't get any easier in the Instant Pot®! Reserve seeds to make roasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.
Provided by France C
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Pour water into the inner lining of a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®). Set trivet inside.
- Cut around the pumpkin stem to make a hole large enough to fit your hand into the pumpkin. Remove stem, then remove seeds and stringy pieces from inside pumpkin. Place pumpkin with the cut-side down on the trivet. If pumpkin is too large to fit in the pot, cut in half and arrange both halves to fit.
- Close and lock the lid; set valve to sealing. Select manual mode according to manufacturer's instructions and set timer for 12 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Remove pumpkin from the pot and set on a rack until cook enough to handle, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape pumpkin flesh from the skin and place into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 88.4 calories, Carbohydrate 22.1 g, Fat 0.3 g, Fiber 1.7 g, Protein 3.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.2 g, Sodium 5.2 mg, Sugar 4.6 g
SUGAR PUMPKIN PUREE
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a sharp paring knife, cut several slits in pumpkin, piercing skin all the way through (this will let steam escape). Place in a baking dish; pour about 1 inch water in bottom of dish. Bake until skin is easily pierced and inside is very soft, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut off top of pumpkin, and scoop out seeds; discard both. Peel, and discard skin. Place pumpkin in the bowl of a food processor; puree until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
FRESH PUMPKIN PUREE
Making fresh pumpkin puree is very simple, but can be a little time consuming. However, I think the end product is worth the effort. I always use "sugar" pumpkins, also known as "pie" pumpkins. They are much smaller than the standard pumpkin that we carve for Halloween and are much more tender and flavorful. --NOTE-- Baking time is only 1 - 1 1/2 hours and the remainder of the noted cooking time in this recipe is actually refrigeration time. --CHOOSING THE RIGHT PUMPKIN-- When buying a pumpkin for baking, always choose a pumpkin that is free of blemishes and have been harvested with their stems intact. The pumpkin should feel heavy for their size and should have a dull skin. A pumpkin with a shinny skin was either harvested too early or was waxed by the grower. --STORING PUMPKINS-- Store pumpkins in a cool, dry place at 45F - 60F for up to a month, or refrigerate for up to 3 months. To store pumpkins for an extended time, wash the skins of the pumpkin with a solution of 1 tablespoon chlorine bleach to 1 gallon water to disinfect the skins and discourage the growth of mold.
Provided by Kim D.
Categories Low Protein
Yield 1 cup
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line one baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Line another baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- Rinse dirt off the outside of the pumpkins and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Cut pumpkins in half, vertically, with a large knife.
- Scoop out seeds and pulp from each pumpkin half with a large spoon, separating the seeds and the pulp.
- Discard pulp and save the seeds for another use if desired.
- If saving the seeds, wash them thoroughly and spread them onto the baking sheet lined with paper towels and allow to dry. ( I bake them later for a snack).
- Place pumpkin halves cut side down onto the foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, or until flesh is tender.
- Cool the pumpkin halves until they are cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out pumpkin flesh and place it in a food processor.
- Puree flesh until smooth.
- Line a strainer with either cheesecloth or coffee filters.
- Pour puree into the strainer.
- Place strainer on top of a bowl large enough to catch the juices and place both in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Discard the juices in the bowl and use the puree for pies, biscuits, pumpkin cinnamon rolls, dog treats and more!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 442.6, Fat 1.7, SaturatedFat 0.9, Sodium 17, Carbohydrate 110.7, Fiber 8.5, Sugar 23.1, Protein 17
More about "sugar pumpkin puree recipes"
71 PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPES | DELICIOUS WAYS TO USE …
THE PERFECT PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE | BY SUGAR AND SOUL
7 LOW-SUGAR PUMPKIN DESSERT RECIPES | LIVESTRONG.COM
EASY PUMPKIN PUREE FROM SCRATCH - INSPIRED TASTE
HOW TO ROAST A SUGAR PUMPKIN & MAKE FRESH PUMPKIN PURéE
RECIPE: INSTANT POT PUMPKIN PURéE | KITCHN
37 STUNNING PALEO PUMPKIN RECIPES YOU NEED IN YOUR LIFE
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPE - HOUSE OF NASH EATS
30+ PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPES | EATINGWELL
55 FABULOUS KETO PUMPKIN RECIPES – SUGAR FREE LONDONER
SUGAR PUMPKIN PUREE (RAW, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE)
PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPE (3 EASY METHODS) - DASSANA'S VEG RECIPES
FRESH SUGAR PUMPKIN PUREE - VIBRANTDOC
PERFECT PUMPKIN MUFFINS - LIGHT AND FLUFFY! -THE RECIPE REBEL
PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE WITH TWO CUPS PUMPKIN PUREE - KITCHEN SERF
10 BEST SUGAR FREE PUMPKIN DESSERTS RECIPES | YUMMLY
ROASTED SUGAR PUMPKIN RECIPE - SNACK GIRL
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PUREE FROM SUGAR PUMPKINS
7 DELECTABLE PUMPKIN RECIPES THAT WON’T SPIKE YOUR SUGAR
40+ HEALTHY PUMPKIN RECIPES - THE CLEAN EATING COUPLE
20+ DESSERT RECIPES WITH CANNED PUMPKIN PUREE | EATINGWELL
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PUREE WITHOUT OVEN (STEAMED)
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PUREE AT HOME (+ RECIPES) - GINGER WITH …
EASY PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE - BAKES BY BROWN SUGAR
PUMPKIN FUDGE - SUGARHERO
SUGAR FREE PUMPKIN BARS - THE SUGAR FREE DIVA
20 SAVORY PUMPKIN RECIPES YOU HAVE TO TRY | ALLRECIPES
5 EASY CANNED PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPE IDEAS - WHAT TO …
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PUREE (INSTANT POT) - DOMESTIC SUPERHERO
INSTANT POT® PUMPKIN PURéE WITH SUGAR PUMPKIN - CHAMPAGNE …
SUGAR-PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPE - DELISH
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PUREE (IT'S EASY!)
PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPE (HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN PUREE) - A BEAUTIFUL …
PUMPKIN POUND CAKE - LIFE LOVE AND SUGAR
GLUTEN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE HEALTHY PUMPKIN RECIPES
LOW CARB SUGAR FREE PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE
10+ DELICIOUS RECIPES WITH PUMPKIN PUREE - THE NATURAL NURTURER
10 BEST SUGAR FREE PUMPKIN CAKE RECIPES | YUMMLY
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PUREE RECIPE - SUGAR GEEK SHOW
THE BEST PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE EVER! - OLD WORLD GARDEN FARMS
SIMPLE PUMPKIN SOUP | MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
23 SUGAR-FREE LOW-CARB PUMPKIN DESSERTS
SUGAR PUMPKIN PUREE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to make pumpkin puree?I found the best way to make pumpkin puree is to cut the pumpkin into small chunks, cover them with water, and simmer them for about 30 minutes until tender. Read More
How do you Cook Sugar Pumpkins?Add pumpkin. Cover; cook until very tender, about 15 minutes. Puree in a food processor until smooth. Unlike deeply ridged, hard squash such as acorn, smooth sugar pumpkins are easy to prep. Cut off the top and bottom ends, then use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. For tougher skin, make a few more passes with a vegetable peeler.
How many calories are in a sugar pumpkin puree?Sugar pumpkins have more flesh and are much creamier with a less stringy texture than carving pumpkins. Store pumpkin puree in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for future use. 88 calories; protein 3.4g; carbohydrates 22.1g; fat 0.3g; sodium 5.2mg.
How do you cook a whole pumpkin in a blender?Unlock and remove the lid. Remove pumpkin from the pot and set on a rack until cook enough to handle, about 5 minutes. Scrape pumpkin flesh from the skin and place into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Use a 3- to 4-pound pie pumpkin or sugar pumpkin for this recipe.