JAPANESE CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW
This vegetable-rich stew is based on a Japanese nimono, a simmered dish flavored with kombu, soy sauce and dried shiitake mushroom caps. Although the ingredients may take some searching (check Japanese or Asian markets, or online), the cooking itself is no harder than the usual chicken soup, and the results are just as comforting. You can substitute other root vegetables for the ones called for here. Just make sure to add the sturdier chunks first (taro, celery root, burdock, kohlrabi, turnip, beets) so they have enough time to cook before adding the quicker-cooking ones (turnips, sweet potatoes, winter squash). If you want to make this vegetarian, you can leave out the chicken. It works equally well. Adding cubes of tofu or pieces of fish or seafood during the last few minutes of cooking is also a nice way to go.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories soups and stews, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a medium bowl, soak dried mushrooms in water overnight at room temperature. (Alternatively, you can cover mushrooms with hot water and let soak for 2 hours.)
- Remove mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Slice off stems and discard them. Cut the caps into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Place kombu in a large pot, add mushrooms and their soaking liquid, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, make a drop lid (called an otoshibuta in Japanese) by folding foil into a round just smaller than the pot. Poke a few holes in the drop lid with a chopstick or knife.
- As soon as liquid boils, remove kombu and discard or save to reuse. Add chicken, taro, radish, carrot, sake, soy sauce, sugar and salt to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, place drop lid directly on top of cooking vegetables and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot and set aside. Add sweet potato to the pot, cover pot again with drop lid, and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables are cooked through but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, shred cooled chicken and divide among four bowls. Stir rice wine vinegar into stew, along with salt to taste, then ladle it into the bowls with the chicken. Garnish with sansho powder or shichimi togarashi and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 322, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 25 grams, Fat 6 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 28 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 722 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 0 grams
UMANI (JAPANESE STEW OF ROOT VEGETABLES SEAWEED AND CHICKEN)
Rich Japanese stew similar to nishime. Made primarily with root vegetables and a small amount of meat with a soy sauce and sugar base. Also common to both dishes is the use of konnyaku (a tasteless and calorie-less jelly-like cake made from a tuber root called devil's tongue) and kombu (strips of seaweed). Traditionally, the stew is simmered until cooked, then cooled and reheated, a process that may be repeated several times. This infuses the soy-sugar flavors deeply into the ingredients and leaves very little soupiness. You can approximate this procedure simply by making your nishime/umani a day ahead and refrigerating it overnight, then reheating. The dish may be adapted to include more of the veggies you like, less of what you don't like. Many people also like adding tiny Japanese taro (araimo). Konnyaku (aka konjac/yam cake) is found in the refrigerated section near the tofu. Use either the white, refined type or the brown, unrefined version. Shirataki noodles would be near the tofu as well (I found them at a health food store; apparently they're great for low-carbers) You can make a quick and easy dashi by putting 1 strip of kelp and 1/2 cup bonito flakes (I found them right next to each other in the Asian section of the same store) in 4 cups water or veggie stock and bring it to a boil; as soon as it boils, remove from heat and strain the dashi into a bowl. Burdock root should be found with the fresh produce or use reconstituted dried burdock root.
Provided by littleturtle
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- When the kelp is soft, tie into knots at 1 1/2-inch intervals and cut between the knots (I had to cut it into thinner strips in order to tie it).
- In a soup pot, over medium-high heat, saute chicken and mushrooms in oil until the chicken is cooked (10 minutes).
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium, and add the burdock, kelp, and carrots; cook 5-8 minutes.
- Add bamboo and konnyaku; cook until vegetables are done (10 minutes).
- Combine seasonings, stirring to mix thoroughly. Stir into pot and bring sauce to a boil.
- Add the peas and cook until peas are tender (1-2 minutes).
- Serve hot or cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272.7, Fat 14.6, SaturatedFat 3.6, Cholesterol 53.1, Sodium 2084.5, Carbohydrate 18.4, Fiber 3, Sugar 10.5, Protein 17.7
SEAWEED AND CUCUMBER SALAD
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- While the water is coming to a boil, soak the seaweed in cool water for 10 minutes.
- Put the seaweed into the boiling water, remove immediately, then plunge into the cold water.
- Dry the seaweed, trim any rough parts, and chop.
- Meanwhile, cut the cucumber in half length-wise. If there are lots of seeds, scrape them out. Slice as thinly as possible.
- Mix the cucumber and seaweed.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the vegetables.
- Chill up to 2 hours before serving.
More about "umani japanese stew of root vegetables seaweed and chicken recipes"
THIS JAPANESE NISHIME STEW RECIPE IS MADE WITH …
CHICKEN & ROOT VEG STEW - KITCHENJULIE
CLASSIC CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW - TOIRO
JAPANESE VEGETABLE STEW WITH MISO BROTH - SLICES OF …
JAPANESE CHICKEN CREAM STEW - RECIPETIN JAPAN
JAPANESE CHICKEN VEGETABLE STEW | PICKLED PLUM
10 BEST JAPANESE SEAWEED RECIPES - YUMMLY
JAPANESE CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
A JAPANESE STEW PUTS ROOT VEGETABLES TO GOOD USE
UMANI (JAPANESE VEGETABLES WITH CHICKEN) | HAWAIIAN ELECTRIC
ASIAN ROOT VEGETABLE STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
COOK.BAKE.LOVE: UMANI – JAPANESE STEW ROOT VEGETABLES | FOOD, …
CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW - TOO MANY SPOONS
BABUSHKAS SLOW COOKER ROOT VEGETABLE AND CHICKEN STEW FOOD
NISHIME (JAPANESE VEGETABLE STEW) - THE DOMESTIC MAN
JAPANESE UMANI RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
JAPANESE ROOT VEGETABLE STEW RECIPE (NISHIME) - PRAJNA YOGA
DASHI-BRAISED CHICKEN WITH ROOT VEGETABLES - SAVEUR
UMANI--JAPANESE STEW WITH VEGETABLES WITH CHICKEN
UMANI JAPANESE STEW OF ROOT VEGETABLES SEAWEED AND CHICKEN …
CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW FOOD- WIKIFOODHUB
JAPANESE CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW - AJC
ONE POT NIKUJAGA - JAPANESE BEEF AND POTATO STEW | WANDERCOOKS
BEST JAPANESE-STYLE CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE - HOW TO …
CLASSIC CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW - HAPPY DONABE LIFE
A JAPANESE STEW PUTS ROOT VEGETABLES TO GOOD USE | MALAY MAIL
CHIKUZEN-NI: JAPANESE STEWED ROOT VEGETABLE - ABOKICHI.CA
10 BEST JAPANESE STEAMED VEGETABLES RECIPES - YUMMLY
RECIPEDB - COSYLAB.IIITD.EDU.IN
STEAMED CHICKEN AND FISH WITH VEGETABLES - RECIPETIN JAPAN
GYUUNIKU TO YASAI NO UMANI - SIMMERED BEEF AND VEGETABLES …
UMANI--JAPANESE STEW WITH VEGETABLES WITH CHICKEN
COMFORTING NISHIME RECIPE • COOKING HAWAIIAN STYLE
JAPANESE RECIPES WITH VEGETABLES - FOOD NEWS
SHRIMP UMANI RECIPE – JAPANESE COOKING 101
EASY Japanese Stew | Perfect for Winter62K views-09:57
CHICKEN VEGETABLE STEW RECIPE/BEST NIGERIAN VEGETABLE STEW/ EASIER THAN EFO RIRO/ EASY VEGGIE STEW75K views-10:25
Japanese Creamy Chicken Stew (from scratch - no roux!) Short Ver.327 views-01:53
How to Make Iritori - (Chicken with Root Vegetables) Traditional Japanese Food Recipe523 views-04:05
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is Japanese chicken and root vegetable stew?Japanese Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew. This vegetable-rich stew is based on a Japanese nimono, a simmered dish flavored with kombu, soy sauce and dried shiitake mushroom caps.
How to make Chicken sashimi?Trim excess fat off of the chicken, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, and add the sesame oil. Sautee the chicken until white. Add all of the vegetables to the pot. Sautee and coat with the oil. Add the sake, and let it come to a boil. Add the mirin, sugar, water, and soy sauce.
How to make sushi with sake?Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, and add the sesame oil. Sautee the chicken until white. Add all of the vegetables to the pot. Sautee and coat with the oil. Add the sake, and let it come to a boil. Add the mirin, sugar, water, and soy sauce.
How to cook chicken stew with winter root vegetables?Reduce the heat to low, and simmer 2 minutes. Cover the pot, place it in the oven, and cook for about an hour, until the chicken is very tender. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley before serving. Adapted from the “Chicken Stew with Winter Root Vegetables” from the Stonewall Kitchen Harvest cookbook.