WHITE BEAN AND CARAMELIZED ONION CALZONE
The calzone, like the pizza, is a crowd-pleaser, and a excellent vehicle for using up odds and ends in the fridge. This version, which is filled with lemony mashed white beans, caramelized fennel and onions, happens to be vegan. Full-flavored and soft-centered, it's not a traditional calzone but a delicious tart-like creation unto itself.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories dinner, pizza and calzones, main course
Yield 2 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Remove the stems from the fennel bulb. Chop 2 tablespoons of fronds and save the remaining fronds for another use. Halve the bulb lengthwise, remove the core, and thinly slice each half.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 tablespoons oil, fennel bulb, onion and fennel seed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- In a small bowl, mash the beans with 2 tablespoons oil, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until they form a chunky puree.
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Lightly flour a work surface, and stretch or roll the dough into a 12-inch round. Spread the bean mixture on half of the dough, leaving a half-inch border. Top with the fennel-onion mixture and sprinkle with fennel fronds. Brush the edges of the dough with water, and fold dough in half, over filling; pinch the edges of the dough together to seal.
- Transfer calzone to baking sheet. Brush the top with olive oil, and sprinkle with flaky salt. Bake until crust is golden brown and firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 927, UnsaturatedFat 32 grams, Carbohydrate 120 grams, Fat 39 grams, Fiber 26 grams, Protein 27 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 1238 milligrams, Sugar 10 grams
MUSHROOM, CARAMELIZED ONION AND CHEESE CALZONES
The flaky dough is filled with the meaty portabella mushrooms, delicious caramelized onions and 3 cheeses! This is a savory and easy meal to make and there is a shortcut for the crust that will save you a lot of time. You might also want to dip these into pizza sauce for an added zing.
Provided by Nif_H
Categories < 60 Mins
Yield 10 Biscuits
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Separate biscuits and place them on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400F but do NOT cook biscuits yet.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Saute for 10 minutes or until soft and golden. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Add basil, stir and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and/or cheddar, parmesan cheese, pepper, salt and the egg white. (Save egg yolk in a small bowl or cup and set aside.) Stir in mushroom mixture.
- Stretch out a biscuit with your hands until it.
- 's about 4 inches wide. Place the biscuit in the palm of your hand and add about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the middle, avoiding the edges. Fold biscuit in half and pinch edges shut. Place on side on baking sheet and seal the edges with a fork. Repeat with the rest of the biscuits.
- Mix egg yolk with water and stir well. Brush each calzone with the egg yolk mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping if you want to!
BEANS 'N' CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Brown sugar, bacon and cider vinegar season this simple side. I often make it for family and friends, and it never fails to please!-Jill Heatwole, Pittsville, Maryland
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan., In drippings, saute onions over medium heat until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and brown sugar., In a pot of boiling water, cook green beans, uncovered, until crisp-tender, 4-7 minutes; drain. Add to onions; cook 1 minute, tossing to combine. Stir in bacon; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 106 calories, Fat 6g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 7mg cholesterol, Sodium 146mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
More about "white bean and caramelized onion calzone recipes"
WHITE BEANS WITH ROSEMARY AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS …
4.1/5 (11)Total Time 9 hrs 30 minsServings 8-10Calories 257 per serving
- Soak the beans: Place the beans in a large bowl and cover completely with cool water. Soak overnight (at least 8 hours). Drain the beans in a colander.
- Cook the beans: Transfer the beans to a medium pot and cover with 1½ inches of water. Add the quartered onion, garlic, rosemary, sage, bay leaf and cloves. Stir gently to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans start to become tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Season the beans with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the beans are completely tender and the broth is flavorful, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Caramelize the onions: While the beans are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions, season with salt, and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes.
CARAMELIZED ONION AND WHITE BEAN FLATBREAD RECIPE ...
VEGETARIAN RECIPE: CARAMELIZED ONION AND WHITE BEAN FLATBREAD
CARAMELIZED ONION WHITE BEAN DIP - THE VEGAN ATLAS
WHITE BEAN DIP WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND TOMATO SAUCE ...
FLATBREAD WITH WHITE BEAN HUMMUS, CARAMELIZED ONIONS ...
WHITE BEAN & CARAMELIZED ONION DIP – COOKING SOUP TO NUTS
WHITE BEANS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND KALE RECIPE ...
CARAMELIZED ONION & WHITE BEAN FLATBREAD RECIPE | …
BARBECUED WHITE BEANS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS | BEAN INSTITUTE
WHITE BEAN AND CARMELIZED ONION CALZONE
WHITE BEAN AND CARAMELIZED ONION CALZONE RECIPE | EAT YOUR ...
WHITE BEANS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS | KEEPRECIPES: YOUR ...
WHITE BEANS RECIPES - NYT COOKING
WHITE BEAN AND CARAMELIZED ONION CALZONE | CALZONE …
CARAMELIZED ONION & WHITE BEAN FLATBREAD RECIPE | EATINGWELL
BEAN AND CHEESE BURRITO CALZONE | EASY CHEESE CALZONE …
WHITE BEAN AND CARAMELIZED ONION CALZONE - PLAIN.RECIPES
CARAMELIZED ONION AND WHITE BEAN SPREAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CARAMELIZED ONION & WHITE BEAN FLATBREAD RECIPE
BEANS AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
WHITE BEAN DIP WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS (GIVEAWAY WINNER ...
WHITE BEAN AND CARAMELIZED FENNEL MINI-CALZONES
ONION AND RICE RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CARAMELIZED ONION AND WHITE BEAN FLATBREAD - MY RECIPE MAGIC
CARAMELIZED ONION WHITE BEAN DIP - IT'S A VEG WORLD AFTER ALL®
WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH CARAMELIZED LEEKS AND ONIONS
RECIPE: PIZZA CALZONES - STARTRIBUNE.COM
WHITE BEAN DIP WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS - SWEET AND SAVORY ...
CARAMELIZED ONION GOAT CHEESE CALZONES | PRETTY PLAIN JANES
HOW TO CARAMELIZE ONIONS | ALLRECIPES
GYPSY'S KITCHEN: CARAMELIZED ONION CALZONE
CARAMELIZED ONION, WHITE BEAN AND CHEDDAR FLATBREAD RECIPE
CARAMELIZED ONION WHITE BEAN DIP | UMAMI
(ALMOST VEGAN) CARAMELIZED ONION WHITE BEAN DIP - THE PIG ...
WHITE BEANS WITH ONION CONFIT RECIPE - JERRY TRAUNFELD ...
BROCCOLI, BEAN, AND CHEESE VEGETARIAN CALZONE - THE LIVE ...
CARAMELIZED ONION AND WHITE BEAN SPREAD RECIPE
You'll also love