HEARTY BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides; drain. Stir in broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. , Add carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. Stir in peas; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 133 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 28mg cholesterol, Sodium 859mg sodium, Carbohydrate 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP III
This is what I consider the ultimate beef soup. Great on a frosty day. For beef stock, I use 2 1/2 quarts water and 6 teaspoons beef base. Also, use inexpensive red wine. No need for the good stuff here, and cheaper actually works better! Try with leftover pot roast.
Provided by Barb Y
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the oil, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the beef stock, barley, bay leaf and thyme and simmer until barley is softened but not mushy. Add the wine, potatoes and beef.
- Add the browning and seasoning sauce now if you want your soup to have more of a brown color. Simmer another 15 minutes and add the cabbage. Allow to simmer another 15 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 230.5 calories, Carbohydrate 20.1 g, Cholesterol 28.2 mg, Fat 9.3 g, Fiber 4.1 g, Protein 14.2 g, SaturatedFat 3.2 g, Sodium 114.5 mg, Sugar 4.7 g
RICH BEEF BARLEY SOUP
For a bowl of hearty comfort, cook up Ina Garten's Rich Beef Barley Soup recipe, made with meaty oxtail bones, fresh veggies and herbs, from Barefoot Contessa on Food Network.
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset. Add the oxtails, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until browned all over. Remove the oxtails with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add the leeks, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to the fat in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until the vegetables start to brown. Tie the thyme sprigs together with kitchen string and add to the pot along with the bay leaves. Return the oxtails to the pot and add the broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Discard the thyme bundle and the bay leaves, and skim off the fat.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add the barley. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- When the soup is ready, add the barley and cook the soup for another 15 or 20 minutes, until the barley is tender. Depending on the saltiness of the stock, the soup might need another teaspoon of salt and some pepper. Serve hot, with or without the oxtails.
BEST BEEF BARLEY SOUP
This is one of my favourite recipes for leftover roast beef - its delicious on a cold winter night!!If you don't have leftover beef, substitute with 1 lb of extra-lean ground beef, to be cooked with the onions. "Demi glace" or "au jus" can be found with the prepackaged gravies & sauces in the supermarket - you just won't get the same great flavour if you omit it!!
Provided by CountryLady
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and garlic.
- Add veggies and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, water and barley.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add Worcestershire, spices and beef.
- Stir in demi-glace.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30- 45 minutes or until veggies and barley are tender.
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP I
We are remodeling the kitchen and getting very hungry for food again so I got out the slow cooker and made this soup. It's perfect when you do not have a lot of time. Since you can get soup bones that contain little fat, this soup is nearly fat-free. When the soup is cooled there is no visible fat at the surface.
Provided by Martha Dibblee
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Place beef bones in a large size slow cooker. Add salt, celery stalks, onion, bouquets garnis, pepper, carrots, parsley and garlic. Fill slow cooker within 2 inches of the top with hot water and cook for 6 hours, covered on high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley and cook for 2 more hours stirring occasionally or until meat can easily be removed from bones.
- Remove and discard onion, bouquets garnis, celery, and parsley.
- Transfer bones to a dish and remove meat from bones, being careful not to take off cartilage or gristle. Place meat back into soup, stir, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 58.4 calories, Carbohydrate 12.3 g, Fat 0.4 g, Fiber 3.6 g, Protein 1.9 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 744 mg, Sugar 1.3 g
SLOW-COOKER BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
This recipe is inspired by the beef, leek and barley soup in "Home Cooking" (Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group, 2010), a memoir and cookbook by Laurie Colwin. It defies what you're told you must do to make an exceptional soup: Brown your meat, add ingredients in layers, and taste as you go. Instead, just chop a few vegetables, put everything in a pot - or in this case, a slow cooker - then forget about it. This recipe builds satisfying, hearty flavors in a few key ways: The small quantity of dried mushrooms not only nods to mushroom-barley soup, but also creates an umami backdrop. Opt for chicken stock instead of beef, which is more consistently flavorful across brands. Use a collagen-rich cut of meat, like chuck or short ribs. And last, a long cook time allows flavors to deepen, without any babysitting.
Provided by Ali Slagle
Categories dinner, soups and stews, main course
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a 5-to-8-quart slow cooker, add the beef, stock, carrots, onion, barley, thyme, porcini, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and 2 cups water. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low until the meat shreds when pulled with two forks, 6 to 8 hours.
- If your soup has fat on the surface, skim it with a spoon. (The amount will vary, depending on your cut of meat.) Remove and discard the thyme. If using chuck, shred the meat using two forks right in the pot; if using short ribs, transfer to a cutting board and pull the meat away from the bones. Remove any excess fat and cartilage, then chop and shred the meat and return it to the slow cooker. Stir in the vinegar. If the flavors taste muted, add salt and vinegar. If it's too mild, add more black pepper.
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
All barley is high in fiber, but hulled barley is the most nutrient-dense. If you make this soup with pearl barley, use 2 cups water in step 4 and cook, covered, for 10 minutes in step 5.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 9 1/2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oil in a medium Dutch oven or a large pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and cook onion, carrot, and mushrooms until golden, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add wine. Return to heat, and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom using a wooden spoon. Cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pot, and add stock and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add barley, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, and cook until beef and barley are tender, 20 to 25 minutes more. Stir in parsley. Divide soup among 6 bowls, and garnish with horseradish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 292 g, Cholesterol 33 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 24 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 395 g
Hearty, easy one dish meal that cooks itself while you're gone. Serve with salad and bread, and you have a whole meal.
Provided by papergoddess
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In skillet brown beef.
- Place carrot, celery, green pepper, onion, corn and green beans in crock pot.
- Put meat on top.
- Combine tomatoes, barley, parsley, bouillon, salt and basil.
- Pour over meat.
- Add water.
- DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours.
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
- Drain the liquid from the tomatoes and reserve. Add enough water to liquid to make one quart.
- Place in large kettle with beef, salt and pepper to taste, celery tops and parsley. Cover and cook slowly for one hour.
- Add barley. Cook one hour longer.
- Remove and discard celery tops and parsley. Add tomato juice, reserved tomatoes and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook about 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately, refrigerate or freeze. To serve reheat.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 46, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 6 grams, Fat 1 gram, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 241 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "beef and barley soup recipes"
CLASSIC BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - BEEF - IT'S WHAT'S FOR …
Cuisine AmericanCategory SoupServings 6Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef Arm Chuck Roast Boneless; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef; remove from stockpot, pour off drippings. Season beef with pepper and salt.
- Add onions, celery, carrots , garlic and thyme to stockpot; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth and barley. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
BEEF BARLEY SOUP | RICARDO
5/5 (131)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory AppetizersCalories 303 per serving
CROCKPOT BEEF BARLEY SOUP - THE CHUNKY CHEF
BEEF BARLEY SOUP - THE SEASONED MOM
TRADITIONAL BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - THE BEST LIFE TODAY
BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
BEEF & BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | EATINGWELL
HEARTY OLD FASHIONED BEEF BARLEY SOUP LIKE GRANDMA MADE
BEST BEEF & BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BEEF & BARLEY ...
PIONEER WOMAN BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - HALF-SCRATCHED
BEEF BARLEY SOUP | THE RECIPE CRITIC
CLASSIC BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
QUICK BEEF & BARLEY SOUP RECIPE | EATINGWELL
BEEF BARLEY SOUP - SPEND WITH PENNIES
BEEF BARLEY SOUP - DINNER AT THE ZOO
BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE WITH VEGETABLES (VIDEO) - A SPICY ...
BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
BEEF AND BARLEY STEW RECIPE - DAMN DELICIOUS
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - THE RECIPE REBEL
BEEF BARLEY SOUP WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES | READER'S DIGEST ...
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - HAPPY HOOLIGANS
OMA'S BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE ~ RINDFLEISCH GERSTENSUPPE
BEEF BARLEY SOUP - DELICIOUS HEALTHY RECIPES MADE WITH ...
TRADITIONAL BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BEEF BARLEY SOUP - SERIOUS EATS
BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE (EASY & HEARTY) | KITCHN
SLOW-COOKER BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
THE BEST BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - THESTAYATHOMECHEF.COM
CROCKPOT BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - A BOUNTIFUL LOVE
BEEF BARLEY SOUP | FOODLAND ONTARIO
10 BEST BEEF BARLEY SOUP WITH CABBAGE RECIPES | YUMMLY
BEEF BARLEY SOUP – WELLPLATED.COM
EASY BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE – SLOW COOKER SEMI SCRATCHED
BEEF BARLEY SOUP - JO COOKS
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - RECIPE GIRL
EASY BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - MOMSDISH
BEST OLD FASHIONED BEEF BARLEY SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ...
BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP - CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF
BEEF BARLEY SOUP (STOVETOP, CROCKPOT, INSTANT POT ...
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #low-protein #healthy #soups-stews #easy #beginner-cook #fall #low-fat #grains #dietary #low-cholesterol #seasonal #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #inexpensive #healthy-2 #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook barley and beef soup?In a large soup pot, bring the stock or broth to a simmer. Add the browned beef and rinsed barley, cover, and return to a full simmer. Reduce heat and cook gently for about 1 1/2 hours. Return the skillet to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, if there wasn't any left over from the beef.
How to cook barley in a crock pot?In a large pot over medium heat, combine the oil, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the beef stock, barley, bay leaf and thyme and simmer until barley is softened but not mushy.
How long to cook barley on the stove?Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes and then add in the cooked beef, bacon, prepared root vegetables, bay leaves, and beef stock and cook on low heat for 60 minutes or until the beef and vegetables are tender. Add in the barley and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the barley is cooked and tender.
What are the main ingredients in pearl barley soup?This hearty soup includes lots of your favorite winter vegetables — celery, carrots, potatoes — in addition to its two mainstays: tender chunks of beef, and pearl barley, which gives the soup substance. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook until barely golden.